Chapter 5:

My Analysis Part 2

Xiao Liu & Tushan Jing & Xiang Liu

“The man beside you, he’s from the Tu Shan clan?”

“Who? Ma Zi? Chaun Zi?” Xiao Liu opened his eyes and asked sincerely. “I wanted to be nicer to you but you always have way of making me want to bite down and wring your neck.” Xiang Liu put both his hands around Xiao Liu’s head and slowly lowered his head. Under the moonlight, his two teeth extended into fangs as sharp as any beast.

Xiao Liu spoke “You’re really more and more careless with your image. Last time it was the demon eyes, this time it’s the beast fangs. I know you’re a demon monster but knowing is different than seeing with my own eyes. You should know us people, whether be gods or humans, we like the outer image and we don’t care about what’s on the inside. Even what we eat we care about how it looks and smells. The wives we take must be pretty. Not like you demons, picking the plumpest fattest….”

Xiang Liu’s fangs retreated and he patted Xiao Liu’s cheek “Lately you’ve been lonely?”

Xiao Liu sighed “People who are too smart are bound to die young. But you’re not a person, you’re a demon….so you’ll die even faster!” Xiang Liu grabbed Xiao Liu’s neck
 and pressed in “That man, the one who you always hide every time I show up, is that Tu Shan clan’s second son?”

Xiao Liu thought and knew he wouldn’t believe him if he said no “Yes.”

“Good.” Xiang Liu released him. Xiao Liu saw him smile and all his goosebumps came out. “I’m not close with him, if you want something you go see him yourself.”

“I’m even less familiar with him. I’m familiar with you.”

Xiao Liu laughed “A demon’s jokes are so not funny!”

Xiang Liu said “It’s been very hot lately and there is an illness spreading in the mountains and medicine is desperately needed. Have Tu Shan Jing get some medicine for us.”

Xiao Liu sat up “Why? Who do you think you are?” Xiang Liu smiled at Xiao Liu “I’m someone who can eat you.”

“I’d rather you eat me then go find him.”

Xiang Liu conjectured out loud “Do you want to know what the eldest son of the Tu Shan clan is like? Nine years ago, he disappeared right before his wedding. If I contact the eldest son and asked him for some medicine and he asked me to kill a person, what are the odds that the Young Master of Qing Qiu can stay alive?”

Xiao Liu spit out through gritted teeth “No wonder your name is number 1 on the list of Most Wanted. I really want to use your head to exchange for the reward money.”

Xiang Liu laughed out loud and suddenly moved right in front of Xiao Liu’s face and said slowly “I have nine heads, remember to sharpen the knife very well.” Xiao Liu glared at him, the two of them so close their breaths were mingling.

After a moment Xiao Liu said “If he helped you, what good will that bring him.” Xiang Liu slowly moved away from Xiao Liu “When matters in the mountain isn’t too busy, sometimes I’m an assassin for hire, and a pretty notorious one at that. If the Tu Shan eldest son asked me to kill him, I would turn him down. If he wanted me to kill the Tu Shan eldest, I will accept the job.”

“He just went home, he might not be able to utilize the family money and manpower.”

“You underestimate him! Just a pallet of medicine, to him it’s nothing. Tu Shan clan does any type of business. Back then, he sold way more dangerous items to the Sheng Nong army.”

Xiao Liu asked “This time, why don’t you buy it directly from the Tu Shan clan?” Xiang Liu coldly replied “No money!”

Xiao Liu wanted to laugh but didn’t dare in case he made him angry. He raised his head to look at the stars “You are a demon, to help out the completely unrelated Sheng Nong, is it worth it?”

Xiang Liu laughed “You can waste your time taking care of a bunch of losers. Why can’t I waste my time doing pointless things?” Xiao Liu smiled “You’re right. In this long life, one has to find something to do. Fine, let’s go see him.”

Xiao Liu got up and walked out the door but Xiang Liu grabbed him back “He’s by the riverbank.” Xiao Liu walked to the riverbank with Xiang Liu following behind.

Jing heard a sound and turned around with a look of joy, but immediately he saw a white figure behind Xiao Liu, proud and wild, completely untouched by the world. Xiang Liu walked to the river edge and looked out towards the distance.

Xiao Liu walked up to Jing and felt a bit awkward. He coughed and asked “Have you been well lately?”

“Yes.”

Is Jing Ye well?”

“Yes.”

Lan….”

Xiang Liu’s cold gaze glanced over and Xiao Liu hurriedly asked “I have something to ask of you.”

Jing replied “Yes.”

“I need a batch of medicine.” Xiang Liu tossed over a tube, Xiao Liu caught it and handed it to Jing “Inside is the details.”

“Yes.

“When the medicine arrives in Qing Shui Town, contact me and Xiang Liu will go and retrieve it.”

“Yes.”

This business was done just like that? So easy? Xiao Liu added “I have no money to pay you, you know that right?” Jing lowered his eyees “You. Don’t need to pay.” Xiao Liu didn’t know what else to say so he looked towards Xiang Liu. He nodded so Xiao Liu told Jing “Then….thank you. I’m, I’m done.”

Jing started to walk away and when he passed Xiao Liu his low voice carried in the wind “From now on, don’t say thank you.”

Xiao Liu silently stood there for awhile and said to Xiang Liu “I’m going back to sleep. You leave by yourself!” Xiang Liu grabbed his collar and pulled him back “Before I get the medicine, you’re with me.”

In my opinion, Xiang Liu is supporting Xiao Liu and Jing union. Of course he was mainly doing it for his soldiers. However, through this conversation we learn more about Jing through Xiang Liu. Xiang Liu also knew Xiao Liu was lonely without Jing. He was letting Xiao Liu have a hint of Tushan brothers situation. And the fact Jing and him had done business deal before., and also giving Jing might be as pure as Xiao Liu had thought, by revealing how he used to dangerous items to Sheng Nong army. But what I really admire is his moral towards Tushan brothers., If the Tu Shan eldest son asked me to kill him, I would turn him down. If he wanted me to kill the Tu Shan eldest, I will accept the job. ..He definetly know who should live and who should die. And yep definetly know Jing was waiting at the river bank for Xiao Liu. And Xiao Liu did not fail to ask about his maids. Xiang Liu won't take any nonsense. Jing agreed to it at once. He didn't want Xiao Liu thank him because he's doing this for her. Xiao Liu was even surprise how easily Jing gave in.

That's how I understand this scene here. 

Here, we can the connection between these three main characters. Overall they are on good terms. 

More character revealation about Jing and Xiang Liu. 

Chapter 5: I entrust myself to mountain and sea

My Analysis Part 3

The Longing for the Land 

Xiao Liu hesitated and walked to the door. There were two bodies on top of a pyre. Xiang Liu walked over where there were hundreds of soldiers lined up. He poured three cups of wine and then lit the pyre. Within the flames of the fire, the faces of the men showed their familiarity with death, but in the mournful sounds of the song they sang it conveyed their deep sorrow. Their singing wasn’t in unison, flitting in and out, as they wondered about their cause and what it all meant in the long run.

This body is entrusted to the land
It's not important that everything will collapse.

When the day has come for the last breath
Life will disappear along with the flame

Gaining or losing, we don't know
Wrong or right, how will we know

Thousands of years have passed
Honor or shame, who will know

It was true that the Yellow Emperor forcibly took over the lands of Sheng Nong. But the Sheng Nong Kingdom was now no more and the people living there only wanted a peaceful life to live. They don’t care who is the Emperor, and had even begun to speak warmly of the Yellow Emperor’s intelligence and generosity. The people don’t care about the remaining Sheng Nong soldiers who refuse to surrender. Thousands of years later, their determination won’t be remembered.

Only by giving up, bowing low, could they get a sweet wife, a cute kid, perhaps even the wealth given by the Emperor. But they still persisted to cling on to their belief, to hold onto something most people no longer cared about, to risk their lives for it.

The wheels of history were already turning but they remained stubbornly rooted in place, with their arms outstretched trying to turn the wheels back. But they were people that time has forgotten, they are going against the tide, and they were destined to be obliterated. Xiao Liu knew they were foolish, and felt pity for them, but he also couldn’t help but feel respect towards them.

In this moment, Xiao Liu suddenly realized why his last mocking question to Xiang Liu about why he worked for Gong Gong doing pointless things, to suggest that he betray Gong Gong and throw his lot with the Yellow Emperor, that question would cause Xiang Liu to fly into a dark rage. In this world, there was a determination that may be destroyed, may be annihilated, but can never be mocked!

Honor or Shame

I wanted to add this scene to talk about. Because it's one of the most important theme in the novel. We knew that world is only one whole at Emperor Pan Gu before it divided into 3 in epilouge. Time are changing and things are changing.  Although the land was one whole before. It's already three. Wars had been happening. We knew Sheng Nong was lost. And it's implied here that it's likely these group of soldiers might not be winners in the battle.  However the resisting spirit is at the top. The way I see it. All these soldiers love their land, the way of their lives before, that they valued. They had their own culture. (This is how I interpret). They had fought for thousands of years.  That means a lot of lives have died. And their army became a lot weaker. Nevertheless their spirit was still strong. In their perception , they already gave their lives for the land. So why they would back out because the other side power was now much stronger,  But then as for decent people who just want to live their lives, such resistant was probably not something to value, just like how Wen Xiao Liu had remarked and persuade Xiang Liu to give up on Sheng Nong army in previous chapter. But then again  fighting for one determination (love/long for the land), for me it's the power of  loyalty, whether it may sound foolish or honourable , its something Wen Xiao Liu realized that it should not be mocked. 

In my next post, I will share about Xuan, and Wen Xiao Liu past, XL & Jing team up to save Xiao Yao. And some more XiaoJing scene. 

Remark : Koala translation did not include the poem. Its what I have taken from thai ver. 

ร่างนี้ฝากไว้กับผืนดิน
พังภินท์ ล้วนไม่สำคัญ

วันใดลมหายใจสิ้น
ชีวิด สลายพร้อมหมอกควัน

ได้หรือเสียมิอาจรู้
ผิดถูกไยรู้ได้?

หลายพันปีผันผ่าน
เกียรติภูมิอัปยศผู้ใดรู้

Chapter 5: I entrust myself to mountains and the sea

My Analysis Part 4

Im skipping on ...how story continue is someone from Tushan clan leaked location of medicine storing place ...Xiang Liu believed jing would not do such thing. And WXL could figure out it must be Xuan. She kidnapped A Nian in order to get medicine back for the soldiers. In process, Xiang Liu offered to shelter for Wen Xiao Liu, because he had a feeling this Xuan is powerful dangerous in some ways. ...let me some long abstract ...although my review on it will be short. 

About Xuan
That man wore a complete and utter mask. People who wore masks, you can tell it’s a mask. But his mask appeared to be a part of him, completely natural and effortless. Lao Mu, Chuan Zi, Ma Zi, Butcher Gao, they all like him since he’s easy to talk to. Tian Er and Chun Tao like him because he’s handsome and amusing. Xiao Liu thought about it and realized he also like Xuan for being smart and handled things well. But in truth, Xuan’s real personality, what he liked, how he did things……Xiao Liu couldn’t suss it out. All he knows is that Xuan’s weakness is protecting those close to him. No matter what his cousin did, he asked others to let it go and was even willing to apologize so his sister cousin didn’t need to apologize.

Xuan’s razor sharp eyes glanced over Xiao Liu who brushed the goosebumps off his arms and tried to maintain a placid smile. Xuan took Ah Nian away while Xiao Liu was knocked unconscious and also taken away.

When Xiao Liu woke up, he was in a sealed room without any light other than two oil lamps on the wall. Two masked men came in explaining they were under orders to keep him alive, but the rest was fine. The decided on his hands so he couldn’t poison others. They took out a torture device which was a rectangular stone box like a little coffin but with an opening on top.

The men smeared oil on Xiao Liu’s hand and put his hand in the box. Inside the box was dirt and once the oil smell hit little bugs burrowed towards his fingers. The men shoved a cloth in his mouth and tied it.

“Inside the box are flesh eating bugs. The oil is smeared on dead corpses for burial. This will signal to them your hands are dead flesh to be eaten. They will slowly burrow into your fingers and you will feel your flesh being eaten. The fingers are tied to the heart and it’s so painful that people will try to gnaw off their own hands to end the pain. So that is why we have to seal your mouth shut. Five days later when the box is opened, you will see two sets of finger bones as clean as white porcelain. We’re turning off all the light so that in the dark you can feel the pain more. Last time we did this, the person went insane. We hope you won’t go crazy.”

Before the light disappeared completely, Xiao Liu opened his eyes wide. He knew the men were right, the only way not to go crazy was to stay awake. Xiao Liu felt the pain in the fingertips, like a bug burrowing into his body and gnawing on his heart.

In the scene we are clear to see that a normal good nature that everyone like, Xuan could be very cruel when it comes to his cousin. Also he seemed to be some sort of powerful. At this point its still not real who Xuan really is. Is he just normal spy ? Or is someone of high power? One thing is for sure the man is wearing a mask. And we just dont know who he really is.

Xiao Liu and her Gege

The fire red phoenix flower was blooming overhead and the swing was hung on the phoenix tree. She liked to swing on the swing but her older brother cousin liked to practice his power training. She loved to tease him “Gege, gege, look how high I’m swinging…..” He never acknowledged her but if she accidentally fell down then he would always catch her in time.

In the verdant green forest she liked to play hide-and-seek. Seeing Gege coming to find her, she would jump on his back when he wasn’t looking and laugh. She would refuse to get off so that he would piggyback her home. When Mom saw them she would sigh and shake her head. But Grandmother would point out that Mom was the same when she was a kid.

She would play tug of war with Gege and the loser would have their nose scraped. When she won she would scrape really really hard, but when she lost, she would softly plead “Gege, Gege, not too hard!” Gege would raise his hand and come down hard, but the moment his hand touched it was whisper soft.

The red-robed Uncle gave her a cut off white fox tail to play with. She loved it and so did Gege, but she would only allow him to play with it for a short while. But each time there needed to be a trade, Gege needed to steal some snacks for her. One time she ate too many and had an upset stomach and Mom angrily scolded her. But she felt wronged and told Gege “You learn how to make that snack, so that I can eat as much as I want and Mom and Grandmother won’t have a say!” Gege agreed and actually learned to make the snack but refused to make any for her. All he said was “when you grow up and won’t have a stomachache when you eat it, then I’ll make it for you.”

Grandmother’s health deteriorated and Mom was always by her side and couldn’t take care of her and Gege. People said that Uncle and Auntie died, and that Grandmother would die soon. She was so scared and at night she secretly climbed into bed with Gege and softly asked “What is death?” Gege answered “Death is never being able to see someone again”

“And can’t talk to that person again?” “Nope.” “Like you can’t see your mom and dad again?” “Yes.” “Is Grandmother going to die?” Gege embraced her tightly and his tears fell on her face. She hugged him back tightly “I will never die, and I will always talk to you.”

Everyone said that Gege was very strong inside, even Grandfather thought Gege never cried. But she knew Gege cried, but she never told Mom. She often snuck into Gege’s bed at night to keep him company. Even if the next day she got scolded that she was too old now and needed to learn to sleep alone. She can’t go bother Gege and disturb his rest. She said nothing and accepted the scolding, but every night she would sneak out to go find Gege.

During the day Gege would study hard but only she knew that at night Gege would wake up and curl into a ball and shiver. She knew that he was seeing the image of his own mother committing suicide. She would hold Gege like cradling a doll, lightly patting him and humming the same song that Mom and Auntie would sing. Tears would fall from Gege’s eyes and one time she tasted it and learned it was salty and bitter.

One time Gege had a nightmare and tried to hold back his tears. She grabbed him and yelled “Gege, cry! You need to cry!” Gege asked her “They all want me to not cry, why do you want me to cry? Don’t you know that I shouldn’t cry?” She tweaked her nose “I don’t care what they say. All I know is that your heart hurts and tears can help the pain flow out of your body. Once the pain flows out, the heart can slowly heal.”

The night before she left for Jade Mountain, Gege asked to sleep with her. She was sleeping all drowsy when she felt Gege embrace her and tears fell on her face. She thought he had a nightmare and was about to pat him “Don’t worry, I’m here with you.” Gege instead kept repeating “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m too useless. I will hurry up and grow up. I will protect you and Auntie. I will go bring you back….”

By seeing A Nian clingy onto Xuan. The time she was tortured  , memory of her own brother came back (with phoenix flowers background ). Since this is not revealed much yet, all we could see is Xiao Liu must be that little girl in memory . And she had her gege and other family members. We could see her gege was protective of her. And care about her. By seeing he learnt to make her favorite snack yet did not let her eat it yet because she may get sick. And he acted as he was strong in front of everyone. Yet the sister knew he did cry and might not be strong like everyone thinks. That is telling the bond between Xiao Liu and her brother in memory . 

Chapter 5: I entrust myself to mountain and sea

My Analysis Part 5 + Wrapped Up.

The heart string that could not be cut(Xiao Liu&Jing)

The two jailers opened the box and untied him. Once they started tending to his hand, Xiao Liu moaned in pain, and in his consciousness he appeared to hear Shi Qi’s voice. That snapped the taut string in his mind and he fainted dead away.

When Xiao Liu opened his eyes, it was still dark but he was wearing clean clothes and laying on a soft pallet. Someone sat next to him but he didn’t believe his eyes “Shi Qi? Jing?”

“It’s me.”

“Window”

Shi Qi immediately got up and opened the window. The mountain breeze came in and Xiao Liu took a deep breath. Jing lit a lamp and helped Xiao Liu up. Xiao Liu looked at his hands which were wrapped like two balls, indicating the injuries were severe but with the medicine applied there wasn’t much pain. Jing brought a bowl of soup over and Xiao Liu was starving but forced himself to drink slowly. After eating, Jing took out a pill and told Xiao Liu to suck on it. Xiao Liu sucked on the pill and looked around. It was a simple wooden hut with some rugs on the ground and seemed familiar.

“We’re at the Sheng Nong army base?”

“I went to find General Xiang Liu to help save you. Xiang Liu took men to attack Xuan while I went to the cellar prison to rescue you.” From contacting Xiang Liu to planning the rescue, Jing explained it in a few scant words.

Xiao Liu said “Actually, you didn’t need to come save me.”

Jing said “I’m going back to Qing Shui Town so give me the antidote for Ah Nian.”

Xiao Liu said “She wasn’t even poisoned! Ah Nian, with her background, of course she found the best doctors and can cure anypoison so I decided to just pull a fast one on her. Everyone around her is so protective of her. They will be looking for the poison and if they can’t find it, they will keep me alive.”

“You——–” Jing looked at his hands and in his eyes was unspoken pain. Xiao Liu “That…. fooling them will only temporarily save my life. So even if I didn’t poison Ah Nian….I poisoned Xuan.”

Jing stared in shock at Xiao Liu.

“The poison was placed on Ah Nian’s body, I know Xuan would hug her, comfort her, and the poison would enter his body. Once it went into the blood stream, it’s very hard to remove. With Ah Nian’s personality, she must be crying these last few days and needing Xuan to comfort her often. He would never suspect it was aimed at him.”

“What poison did you give him?”

Xiao Liu cautiously explained “Actually, it’s not really a poison, it’s best described as voodoo. The voodoo magic is practiced by the Jiu Li tribe and is their secret learning. A few hundred years ago, the Jiu Li tribe had a voodoo king who was called the poison master of the great wilderness. The voodoo magic is considered evil stacked against mainstream medicine and poisons. People have heard of it but very few actually understand it.”

Xiao Liu explained “In truth, I raised a voodoo bug inside of my body, and that bug is now in Xuan’s body. From now on, when my body hurts, his body will also experience the same pain.”

“That voodoo bug, must not have been easy to raise.”

“Of course! Very hard to raise!” If it was easy to raise this magic would be all over the great wilderness.

Even with Xiao Liu’s special body, it still took him years to raise it.

“Why raise a voodoo bug?”

Xiao Liu sighed “It was all to control Xiang Liu that big demon! He is a nine-headed monster and not a single poison can take him down. So I thought of this great plan but before I had a chance to plant it in him, I ended up using it on Xuan.” Beasts are very instinctive and Xiao Liu was worried Xiang Liu would cotton on to the voodoo bug, He was so compliant when he needed to drink his blood so that one day the voodoo bug would unwittingly be planted into Xiang Liu’s body.

Jing asked “Is the voodoo bug harmful to the body?”

“No!”

“You certain?”

“Yes, with my life I promise!”

Jing wasn’t so sure but he didn’t know enough about voodoo bugs so he would need to consult a doctor later. Xiao Liu asked “How many days since I was captured?” “Four.”

Xiao Liu looked down at his hands, thinking perhaps its time not to apply medicine. “The time is almost ready.”

“Xiao Liu, let me handle Xuan…..”

Xiao Liu looked up at Jing “Xiang Liu already knew Xuan would deal with me viciously. He offered to let me stay by his side by I turned him down. If I’m the type to hide behind someone stronger, then I wouldn’t have let you stay many years ago. I am used to being independent – I do what I want and handle my own problems.”

Jing’s eyes were filled with care “You don’t have to be alone.”

Xiao Liu coldly turned his head “I saved you once, you saved me once. I fed you once, you fed me once. We don’t owe each other anymore. My situation doesn’t need your help!” Jing silently sat there for some time and then quietly walked out.

Although , Xiao Liu had been trying at her best to avoid Jing. It's Jing again who came to rescue her (alongside with Xiang Liu) from Xuan torture. In here to Jing she had revealation of she had refused shelter from Xiang Liu . And how she protected herself from Xuan as she put voodoo bug on Xuan through A Nian. The voodoo bug had been intended to put on Xiang Liu, in order to protect oneself. Xiao Liu proudly said how independent she is and no need of help from jing or xiang liu. Probably Jing understanding what she is feeling and tell it out loud she did not need to be alone. To me that is indicating, Xiao Liu may not able to caring from Jing and probably her own longing for him too.

Overall, Wrapped Up for Chapter 5 Review 

In this chapter ,  we learned more about Shi Qi true identity Tushan Jing more; his family and background. How a great young lord he is, someone who managed his clan. More is even revealed further by Xiang Liu to Xiao Liu that Jing might have another side that Xiao Liu had underestimated. In here, we can see Jing aka Shi Qi had very personal relationship with Xiao Liu. And he might have business dealing with Xiang Liu. In some ways Xiang Liu had made it known to Xiao Liu that it was elder son of Tushan clan who made disappearance of Jing 9 years ago. The guy knows something indeed. And he bargained with Xiao Liu to not to kill Jing, his speech sounds like his own moral when said he would kill Hou for Jing but will not kill Jing for Hou. So the bargain was done. Xiao Liu had her protective nature over Jing, and Jing will do anything for her happiness. Alongside with the bargain, Xiao Liu was to stay at Sheng Nong army station until  Jing came with medicine. In which she learned about Sheng Nong soldiers struggle and their longing for their land. When medicine were blocked by Xuan , Xiao Liu tried best by kidnapping A Nian ..to get medicine back from Xuan. She was then tortured visciously by Xuan men. In here we can see her relationship with XL is growing although they were frenemyies. We further knew about XiangLiu and Jing knowing each other. They team up to help Xiao Liu. No matter how much Xiao Liu wanted to cut Shi Qi out from life, she just could not do. In this chapter we also learned about her voodoo bugs for protection which she plant in Xuan though intended for Xiang Liu. To those who hurt her must get hurt too. Overall, Xiao Liu is at all cost try best to avoid Jing  but destiny still brought them to see each other. She could not stop missing Shi Qi. No matter how great a lord jing is, he will still be Ye Shi Qi for Xiao Liu, always be caring for her. 

my fave  moments in chapter 5

WXL  and YHQ-Tu Shan Jing journey  to Forever Never Parting :  purple is my understanding  of what I am reading. the rest are extracts that I like.

1- "Xiao Liu looked around, peeled the cashews, and drank his wine. He then saw sitting in the opposite corner a man wearing immaculate richly decorated clothes and a straw hat that shielded his face. Even though his face was hidden and he wasn’t wearing any expensive jewelry, but his elegant demeanor immediately made one feel respectful towards him. Xiao Liu was racking his brain thinking of when such a lofty personage came to Qing Shui Town when a beautiful maid hurried in and bowed to the man before standing behind him. It was Jing Ye dressed like a man.

Xiao Liu understood and immediately lowered his head to focus on peeling the cashews. On that table there was also a plate of cashews, initially it was untouched but now that man was also peeling it. But he didn’t eat it and instead neatly placed it back on the plate.
Shi Qi said something in a low voice and Jing Ye bowed and retreated. He walked over and sat next to Xiao Liu and placed the plate of peeled cashews before him."

I love how as YSQ as TSJ is introduced here. He is elegant, well dresses, no jewellery and his demeanour command respect. This finally shown   the impression WXL and the  people in her clinic  had on YSQ was not wrong.

Here again WXL is avoiding  confronting what  matters to him instead of going to Jing  and talk, he stays  where he is and distract himself.  This  is something he has been doing since chapter 3 .   TSJ  is making the 1rt move and come to  him  and sit down  with the cashew nuts as peace offering. He  know that WXL is not really alright  at this moment.  He is TSJ  here and is still taking care of his WXL- he is YSQ after all no difference regardless of   what WXL says- hence the  peeling  of the cashew nuts for her.  I guess wxy does not know how to deal with those feelings since it is the 1rt time he must feel like this towards someone and he is hurting.  

2- "Let me test you guys first. Other than Xuan Yuan, Gao Xing, and Sheng Nong, within the great wilderness what are the other powerful and famous clans?”
“Who doesn’t know that? Below the Three Imperial Families, on the top of the pecking order are the Four Great Clans – the Chi Shui family, the Xi Ling family, the Tu Shan family, and the Gui Fang family. Other than the Four Great Clans, in the Middles Plans are the Six Big Families. And below the Six Big Families are various moderately powerful smaller clans such as the Jin Tian family to the South, the Fang Feng family to the North….. But none of them can compare to the Four Great Clans.”
“The Tu Shan clan is based in the city of Qing Qiu. From the dawn of time until now, every generation is in trade. Their businesses blanket every part of the great wilderness. They have so much money it’s not even considered money. I hear even the imperial family of the Xuan Yuan and Sheng Nong kingdoms have borrowed money from the clan. It’s genuinely wealth that can rival a kingdom. What I’m going to say involves the Tu Shan clan.”

-Speaking of the Tu Shan clan’s Second Young Master, he’s definitely an impressive figure. This generation has only two sons, a pair of fraternal male twins born from the same mother and father. But I heard the Second Lord is very capable and since he was small he’s been lording over the Eldest Lord. He makes all the decisions in the family.”
“In the entire great wilderness, no matter if it’s Xuan Yuan or Gao Xing territories, their businesses extend there. Can you imagine how wealthy they must be? I hear this Second Lord is very handsome, talented in all the arts from music to painting to chess, a witty conversationalist and all-around scholar. His nickname is the Young Master of Qing Qiu. So many well-born families want to marry their daughter to him. The Tu Shan family matriarch selected carefully and finally picked the daughter of the Fang Feng family. I hear that daughter followed her father and brothers all around growing up, she’s capable and very well traveled, as beautiful as a flower and can shoot a damn fine arrow.”
“That Tu Shan eldest son is comparatively pathetic, he married a serving girl and can’t even be competition for the inheritance.”
“Nine years ago when the two families were about to hold the wedding ceremony, even the invitations had gone out, right before the wedding the Tu Shan family second son suddenly got sick and called off the wedding. All these years, the Second Lord has been hidden away healing while the Eldest Lord has been the one handling all the clan affairs.”
“That Miss Fang Feng is one loyal girl for sure, when her family wanted to call off the engagement, she dressed up in her wedding robes and ran to Qing Qiu and told Grand Madam Tu Shan “Born into Tu Shan house, buried in Tu Shan tomb.” The Madam was so touched she was in tears, and all these years since Miss Fang Feng has lived at the Tu Shan residence helping the Madam with household matters.”
“Now that the Fang Feng family has heard the Second Lord has recovered, the two families have resumed wedding preparations and want it to happen as soon as possible.”

I like that we   learn all about TSJ background and  we get hints  that NOT ALL is  perfect between the  Tu Shan brothers ( bold highlight)  The older brother  is not viewed as capable, married extremely low and TSJ has been lording over him since  very young.  TSJ  the one in charge in the family.OUCH!

WXL suspicion come to reality regarding YSQ. he is not a nobody  not a simple lord.

3 - Xiao Liu was arranging the cashews on the plate, first into a flower, and then into a crescent moon.
The person next to him was ramrod stiff, his hand tightly clenching a cashew until it had been reduced to powder.
Xiao Liu drank his wine and teased “Hey, what is your name? When I see you later, I can’t act like I don’t know you but I can’t call you Shi Qi anymore! Even if you don’t mind, your wife will likely shoot an arrow into me.”
After a few moments, Shi Qi painfully said “Tu Shan Jing.”
“Tu Shan….how to write it?” Jing splashed some wine and wrote his name for Xiao Liu who laughed and asked “And what’s the name of your soon-to-be wife?”
Jing’s hand froze above the table. Xiao Liu smiled “Six years, I let you stay for six years. Give me six years without rent and then we won’t owe each other anything!” Xiao Liu got up to leave but Jing grabbed his arm. Xiao Liu jerked a few times but Jing never let go. Xiao Liu realized for the first time that the normally gentle Jing was actually quite strong and it was enough to subdue him.

Here we can see that WXL is affected  by what he has heard about YSQ TSJ and act as if it is nothing and laugh when asking the name of his fiancé. Jing is hurting all well but this is because of the way WXL is acting. I think. After all how many times is he supposed to say that he us not leaving  for WXL to believe him WXL here is the one with the problem and we know why.

I  find the last  the  last 2 sentences very interesting. They are powerful as they shown that Jing does not  let go easily when he cares about you.  This is not just about his physical strength but  his character.  Again his gentle nature is highlighted.  

Again WXL does what he does best = does not confront fully nor tell explicitly to Jing what he wants.  He leave resigned with his last words,  but we know WXL deep down wants Jing to stay and be by his side enjoying the simple life ( see previous analyses and previous chapters) .

4- Lao Mu had his questions but one look at Xiao Liu’s calm face and it relieved him. It can’t be, it can’t be Shi Qi!
Xiao Liu refused to go to the river banks anymore. He locked the doors to the courtyard and laid on the pallet to count the stars. “Three thousand three hundred twenty seven……..”

A white snowflake descended from the sky and Xiao Liu was so surprised happy but he quietly tamped down his smile and closed his eyes.

“Who? Ma Zi? Chaun Zi?” Xiao Liu opened his eyes and asked sincerely. “I wanted to be nicer to you but you always have way of making me want to bite down and wring your neck.” Xiang Liu put both his hands around Xiao Liu’s head and slowly lowered his head. Under the moonlight, his two teeth extended into fangs as sharp as any beast.
Xiao Liu spoke “You’re really more and more careless with your image. Last time it was the demon eyes, this time it’s the beast fangs. I know you’re a demon monster but knowing is different than seeing with my own eyes. You should know us people, whether be gods or humans, we like the outer image and we don’t care about what’s on the inside. Even what we eat we care about how it looks and smells. The wives we take must be pretty. Not like you demons, picking the plumpest fattest….”
Xiang Liu’s fangs retreated and he patted Xiao Liu’s cheek “Lately you’ve been lonely?”
Xiao Liu sighed “People who are too smart are bound to die young. But you’re not a person, you’re a demon….so you’ll die even faster!” Xiang Liu grabbed Xiao Liu’s neck and pressed in “That man, the one who you always hide every time I show up, is that Tu Shan clan’s second son?”
Xiao Liu thought and knew he wouldn’t believe him if he said no “Yes.”
“Good.” Xiang Liu released him. Xiao Liu saw him smile and all his goosebumps came out. “I’m not close with him, if you want something you go see him yourself.”
“I’m even less familiar with him. I’m familiar with you.”

I like Lao Mu's reaction here  he knows that YSQ must be the young Tu Shan  lord but since WXL  does not  seemed affect her dismiss his worry.

We see that WXY  refuses not see him by  not going to the river anymore, again avoiding to deal with the matter in my opinion.   He counts the star to distract himself from what is bothering him.  XL appears and he is happy for the distraction  that he will provide.

WXL cannot help  indirectly share some of his concerns when speaking with XL. He is affected now by  self image, appearance   due to having learn   the beauty of TSJ fiancé  s(ee below.)  XL  asks if he has been lonely lately and   WXL confirms this.  Later in their discussion WXL again try to distance himself fromTSJ.

-Xiang Liu laughed “You can waste your time taking care of a bunch of losers. Why can’t I waste my time doing pointless things?” Xiao Liu smiled “You’re right. In this long life, one has to find something to do. Fine, let’s go see him.”  Does he need XL to be there ? lol
Xiao Liu got up and walked out the door but Xiang Liu grabbed him back “He’s by the riverbank.” Xiao Liu walked to the riverbank with Xiang Liu following behind.

This business was done just like that? So easy? Xiao Liu added “I have no money to pay you, you know that right?” Jing lowered his eyees “You. Don’t need to pay.” Xiao Liu didn’t know what else to say so he looked towards Xiang Liu. He nodded so Xiao Liu told Jing “Then….thank you. I’m, I’m done.”
Jing started to walk away and when he passed Xiao Liu his low voice carried in the wind “From now on, don’t say thank you.

Here we learn that whilst  WXL had  refused to go by the river, TSJ has been there waiting  for him  diligently.  Jing wants WXL to know that between them there is no transaction. when  and if WXL  ever wants something from him, he should just ask and he- TSJ- will try and get it . He does not want that "owing,  debt  " type of relationship  between them.

-Jing looked at Xiang Liu “The medicine the General wants is all ready. It’s in the basement of the fourth house on Dong Liu street. General can dispatch someone to retrieve it.” Xiang Liu nodded and the condor rose into the sky. Xiao Liu didn’t want to face Jing so raised his head to look at Xiang Liu. His eyes remained on him until he disappeared into the clouds.
 After Xiang Liu left, Xiao Liu still didn’t know what to say to Jing so he continued staring into the sky with a look of longing. After his neck was sore, Xiao Liu finally looked down and turned with a smile to Jing. He was still wearing that old sack cloth robe from before. Xiao Liu coughed twice “Was it difficult to get the medicine?” Jing shook his head. Xiao Liu asked “When do you leave Qing Shui Town?”
“Not leaving.” His gaze towards Xiao Liu was filled with tenderness. Xiao Liu laughed with his head cocked “So your fiancee will be coming here then?” Jing lowered his head and tightly clenched his lips. Xiao Liu said “I’m going back” and walked past him quickly through the herb garden not caring how many plants were squashed underfoot. Xiao Liu took a deep breath and pushed open the door and hollered “I, Wen Xiao Liu, is back!”

I could not help but laugh at WXL here again refusing to face  the situation and hoping  XL would  take him away so he would not have  to deal with this.  I like that here also WXL is stating the problem about  the fiancé  and the reality of it. Jing has no answers because WXL is right. Those 2 need to better communicate.  Jing needs to explain why he will be staying and what is the situation with his fiancé. WXL is pissed at him " I’m going back” and walked past him quickly through the herb garden not caring how many plants were squashed underfoot" .

moving on

- Once they started tending to his hand, Xiao Liu moaned in pain, and in his consciousness he appeared to hear Shi Qi’s voice. That snapped the taut string in his mind and he fainted dead away.
When Xiao Liu opened his eyes, it was still dark but he was wearing clean clothes and laying on a soft pallet. Someone sat next to him but he didn’t believe his eyes “Shi Qi? Jing?”
“It’s me.”
“Window”
Shi Qi immediately got up and opened the window. The mountain breeze came in and Xiao Liu took a deep breath. Jing lit a lamp and helped Xiao Liu up. Xiao Liu looked at his hands which were wrapped like two balls, indicating the injuries were severe but with the medicine applied there wasn’t much pain. Jing brought a bowl of soup over and Xiao Liu was starving but forced himself to drink slowly. After eating, Jing took out a pill and told Xiao Liu to suck on it. Xiao Liu sucked on the pill and looked around. It was a simple wooden hut with some rugs on the ground and seemed familiar.
“We’re at the Sheng Nong army base?”
“I went to find General Xiang Liu to help save you. Xiang Liu took men to attack Xuan while I went to the cellar prison to rescue you.” From contacting Xiang Liu to planning the rescue, Jing explained it in a few scant words.
Xiao Liu said “Actually, you didn’t need to come save me.”
Jing said “I’m going back to Qing Shui Town so give me the antidote for Ah Nian.”
Xiao Liu said “She wasn’t even poisoned! Ah Nian, with her background, of course she found the best doctors and can cure any poison so I decided to just pull a fast one on her. Everyone around her is so protective of her. They will be looking for the poison and if they can’t find it, they will keep me alive.”
“You——–” Jing looked at his hands and in his eyes was unspoken pain. Xiao Liu “That…. fooling them will only temporarily save my life. So even if I didn’t poison Ah Nian….I poisoned Xuan.”
Jing stared in shock at Xiao Liu.
“The poison was placed on Ah Nian’s body, I know Xuan would hug her, comfort her, and the poison would enter his body. Once it went into the blood stream, it’s very hard to remove. With Ah Nian’s personality, she must be crying these last few days and needing Xuan to comfort her often. He would never suspect it was aimed at him.”
“What poison did you give him?”
Xiao Liu cautiously explained “Actually, it’s not really a poison, it’s best described as voodoo. The voodoo magic is practiced by the Jiu Li tribe and is their secret learning. A few hundred years ago, the Jiu Li tribe had a voodoo king who was called the poison master of the great wilderness. The voodoo magic is considered evil stacked against mainstream medicine and poisons. People have heard of it but very few actually understand it.”
Xiao Liu explained “In truth, I raised a voodoo bug inside of my body, and that bug is now in Xuan’s body. From now on, when my body hurts, his body will also experience the same pain.”
“That voodoo bug, must not have been easy to raise.”
“Of course! Very hard to raise!” If it was easy to raise this magic would be all over the great wilderness. Even with Xiao Liu’s special body, it still took him years to raise it.
“Why raise a voodoo bug?”
Xiao Liu sighed “It was all to control Xiang Liu that big demon! He is a nine-headed monster and not a single poison can take him down. So I thought of this great plan but before I had a chance to plant it in him, I ended up using it on Xuan.” Beasts are very instinctive and Xiao Liu was worried Xiang Liu would cotton on to the voodoo bug, He was so compliant when he needed to drink his blood so that one day the voodoo bug would unwittingly be planted into Xiang Liu’s body.
Jing asked “Is the voodoo bug harmful to the body?”
“No!”
“You certain?”
“Yes, with my life I promise!”
Jing wasn’t so sure but he didn’t know enough about voodoo bugs so he would need to consult a doctor later. Xiao Liu asked “How many days since I was captured?” “Four.”
Xiao Liu looked down at his hands, thinking perhaps its time not to apply medicine. “The time is almost ready.”
“Xiao Liu, let me handle Xuan…..”
Xiao Liu looked up at Jing “Xiang Liu already knew Xuan would deal with me viciously. He offered to let me stay by his side by I turned him down. If I’m the type to hide behind someone stronger, then I wouldn’t have let you stay many years ago. I am used to being independent – I do what I want and handle my own problems.”
Jing’s eyes were filled with care “You don’t have to be alone.”
Xiao Liu coldly turned his head “I saved you once, you saved me once. I fed you once, you fed me once. We don’t owe each other anymore. My situation doesn’t need your help!” Jing silently sat there for some time and then quietly walked out.

Xiang Liu lightly answered “Long enough to hear that you wanted to plant a voodoo bug in me.” Xiao Liu’s face changed color – speaking with Jing, he never tried to play word games so he was just careless earlier and forgot that he was on Xiang Liu’s territory. Xiao Liu laughed “But I didn’t do it, I planted it in Xuan.”

What I like is the effect Jing presence  had on WXL . Also he still trying to make a distinction between `Jing and YQ. WXL  is very stubborn lol.   We learn. that Jin  asked XL to help rescue WXL.  By doing so, Jing  is keeping the promise he made in chapter 4 aka he will be there when WXL needs him.  I am glad he did not fail WXL. We learn about the voodoo bug and why WXL raised it. I am baffled that WXL still intended to give it to XL so  that  if he ever physically harm him, he -XL- would feel the pain. The bug is a protective mechanism against XL to control him. We see that WXL is again trying to cut ties between him and TSJ  instead of fighting for what he truly wants.  

The end

*** Cashew Nuts Peeling - A symbolic Moment*** 

(Ch.5/ep7) Xiao Liu was arranging the cashews on the plate, first into a flower, and then into a crescent moon. 

1. Flower Formation:

• The meticulous arrangement of cashews into a flower suggests an intentional and creative expression by WXL. Flowers often symbolize feminity, beauty, growth, and the unfolding of something new. In this context, WXL's creation of a cashew flower may signify her desire for love and harmony,  mirroring her aspirations to be able to let bloom a harmonious  and loving connection with TSJ.

(NB-In Ch1/ep2) eploration we saw how  both wanted to reach out for a red flower, expressing their desire for  Love  and Life. And how the red flower represented  Fate or Destiny  :

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever-season-2/119991-tushan-jing-and-xiao-yao-here-s-to-a-happily-ever-after?p=2873689&page=322

1. Crescent Moon Formation:

• The transformation of the cashews into a crescent moon introduces a celestial element. The crescent moon is often associated with change, transition, and the passage of time. WXL's decision to reshape the cashews into this celestial form may hint at a recognition of the changing dynamics between her and TSJ. It symbolize a n evolution in their relationship, and question the matter of Time.

=> The transition from a flower to a crescent moon tend to signify a journey from seeking harmony to acknowledging change. It could imply that WXL is navigating the complexities of her relationship with TSJ, recognizing that relationships, like the phases of the moon, undergo shifts and transformations.=> Day/Night - Carried by Yeshiqi by day - Alone in the garden with stars and calling him out by night. 

******************

• Peeling of Cashew Nuts: 

The act of peeling cashew nuts serves as a metaphor for the gradual revelation and uncovering of hidden aspects of their life and identities-thrue social selve. The meticulous process of removing layers mirrors the unfolding of characters and the disclosure of concealed emotions and histories. It symbolizes the characters' willingness to expose vulnerabilities and connect on a deeper, more authentic level. 

• Peeling language

The delicate act of peeling cashew nuts parallels the intricate process of revealing layers of one's identity.  Xiao Liu meticulously removing the outer layers of the cashew, it mirrors the gradual unfolding of characters in the story. Each peel represents a step towards disclosing concealed emotions and histories, symbolizing a journey of self-revelation, and question further the other chararacter (TSJ) deeper motives and feelings.  

We see that while they are peeling more and more off => she is eager to let out some bothering elements, as hidden jealousy that are itching her from inside to out.

***       Untill:  Xiao Liu even smash the cashew nuts in her fists. 

The matter is clearly irritating her.

• Shared Investment in Unveiling: The shared activity of peeling cashew nuts becomes a tangible representation of mutual effort in understanding one another. It's a collaborative act, signifying a joint commitment to exploring each other's complexities. The shared plate implies a common ground where both characters willingly engage in the process of revealing their true selves.

***As WXL and TSJ peel cashew nuts together, it transforms into a shared experience that goes beyond the literal act. Their collaboration in this task becomes a tangible representation of a mutual effort to understand one another. The shared plate of cashews becomes a metaphorical common ground, emphasizing their joint commitment to exploring the complexities within themselves and each other. ****

- Now, let's apply this symbolism to the specific scene where she asks TSJ about his to-be-wife while peeling:

While engaged in the act of peeling, Xiao Liu seizes the opportunity to explore a deeper layer of TSJ's life. By inquiring about TSJ's fiancée, she uses the metaphor of peeling as a conversational tool to delicately uncover hidden aspects of his personal life. This interaction signifies her curiosity and willingness to navigate the complexities of TSJ's emotions and relationships.

The shared activity of peeling, in this context, becomes a collaborative exploration of not only the cashew nuts but also the intricacies of TSJ's impending marriage. The act implies a shared investment in understanding the nuances of TSJ's personal life, with the common plate serving as a metaphorical space where they willingly engage in the process of revealing more about themselves.

=> In essence, the peeling of cashew nuts becomes a powerful symbolic backdrop for the characters to connect on a more profound level. It is not merely an act of preparing food but a shared journey into the layers of their lives, creating a space for vulnerability and authentic connection between them.

**************

Novel : Xiao Liu drank his wine and teased “Hey, what is your name? When I see you later, I can’t act like I don’t know you but I can’t call you Shi Qi anymore! Even if you don’t mind, your wife will likely shoot an arrow into me.”
After a few moments, Shi Qi painfully said “Tu Shan Jing.”
Tu Shan….how to write it?” Jing splashed some wine and wrote his name for Xiao Liu who laughed and asked “And what’s the name of your soon-to-be wife?

(Ep.7-Ch5)                           

***Exploration of TSJ Name Writing with Wine***

Writing Name with Wine:

When TSJ takes the initiative to write his name with wine, the symbolism takes on a poetic resonance. Wine, often associated with the essence of life and blood, becomes a medium for personal expression and identity. Choosing wine as the medium suggests a fluidity in identity, mirroring the nuanced and evolving nature of their relationship. The deliberate act of writing his name with wine signifies intentionality and leaves a lasting impression. It becomes a visual representation of the characters leaving an indelible mark on each other's lives, signifying a shared journey and the blending of individual identities.

Fluidity in Identity:

Choosing wine as the medium for writing introduces an element of fluidity in identity. Wine, known for its adaptable and transformative nature, becomes a fitting representation of the nuanced and evolving dynamics between TSJ and WXL. The act of writing with wine suggests a willingness to embrace change and a recognition that identity is not static but can flow and adapt, much like the fluid in the wineglass. 

Deliberate Act and Lasting Impression: 

The deliberate act of writing TSJ's name carries a sense of intentionality. It is not a casual or arbitrary gesture but a purposeful expression. By leaving his name imprinted in wine, TSJ signifies a commitment and a desire to make a lasting impression. The indelible mark left by the wine-writing becomes a visual representation of their shared journey and a testament to the significance of their connection. 

Interwoven Destinies:

The symbolism of wine as the lifeblood further intertwines the destinies of Xiao Liu and Tu Shan Jing. As they embark on this symbolic journey, the mark left by the wine-writing runs deep, connecting them at a fundamental level. Their relationship is portrayed as not just a fleeting interaction but as a shared essence of life itself, with the potential for growth, transformation, and enduring significance.

In this scene, the choice of wine as a catalyst for connection and expression goes beyond a mere beverage. It becomes a ritualistic expression of life and vitality, mirroring the essence of their shared experiences. Wine, often considered the lifeblood in various cultural contexts, further intertwines their destinies. Xiao Liu and Tu Shan Jing, through their interactions, embark on a symbolic journey that transcends the ordinary, leaving an enduring mark on their evolving relationship—a mark that runs as deep as the shared essence of life itself.

Extract ch.5 :

After a moment Xiao Liu said “If he helped you, what good will that bring him.” Xiang Liu slowly moved away from Xiao Liu “When matters in the mountain isn’t too busy, sometimes I’m an assassin for hire, and a pretty notorious one at that. If the Tu Shan eldest son asked me to kill him, I would turn him down. If he wanted me to kill the Tu Shan eldest, I will accept the job.” 

Xiang Liu's Role in Revealing Tu Shan Jing's Background

Purposeful Revelation: 

Xiang Liu's disclosure of Tu Shan Jing's background serves a specific purpose beyond a casual exchange of information. It aligns with his strategic approach to situations and his calculated involvement in the lives of those around him. 

Providing Context for Xiao Liu: 

Xiang Liu's revelation about Tu Shan Jing's capabilities and family dynamics offers Xiao Liu a more comprehensive understanding of the person she is dealing with. This information goes beyond a mere exchange of facts; it's a deliberate act that can influence/manipulate Xiao Liu's perceptions.

Potential Motivations: 

Xiang Liu's motives for revealing this information may include a desire to shape Xiao Liu's opinions or to prepare her for the complexities of dealing with Tu Shan Jing. It could also be a subtle way of trying to influence her decisions in the future. 

Revised Assessment: 

Xiang Liu's role in revealing Tu Shan Jing's background is more purposeful and calculated than initially described. The information shared is likely strategic, serving a specific purpose in the broader narrative. Xiang Liu's actions, as always, are layered, and his motivations extend beyond mere disclosure. He remind her he can also be an assassin for hire if needed.  

(see novel extract ch.5 above)**Overall Clarification: Xiang Liu's multifaceted nature makes it challenging to pinpoint a singular motive for his actions. His overall agenda remains enigmatic. The revelation about Tu Shan Jing is a part of his larger strategy, and its true implications may unfold as the story progresses.  

@Peng: This is so WXY who cares about Jing, makes the right decision = doing what XL ask of him.  Both  XL and WXL will benefit from Jing providing medicine for his soldiers.    In the end this is all for XL's benefit.  

Agree. See post above :) This is opportunistic behavor in that scene.To get precisly what he want (see pic, ep.8 below): 

@Winny: Wrapped Up for Chapter 5 Review

In this chapter ,  we learned more about Shi Qi true identity Tushan Jing more; his family and background. How a great young lord he is, someone who managed his clan. More is even revealed further by Xiang Liu to Xiao Liu that Jing might have another side that Xiao Liu had underestimated. In here, we can see Jing aka Shi Qi had very personal relationship with Xiao Liu. And he might have business dealing with Xiang Liu. In some ways Xiang Liu had made it known to Xiao Liu that it was elder son of Tushan clan who made disappearance of Jing 9 years ago. The guy knows something indeed. And he bargained with Xiao Liu to not to kill Jing, his speech sounds like his own moral when said he would kill Hou for Jing but will not kill Jing for Hou. So the bargain was done. Xiao Liu had her protective nature over Jing, and Jing will do anything for her happiness. Alongside with the bargain, Xiao Liu was to stay at Sheng Nong army station until  Jing came with medicine. In which she learned about Sheng Nong soldiers struggle and their longing for their land. When medicine were blocked by Xuan , Xiao Liu tried best by kidnapping A Nian ..to get medicine back from Xuan. She was then tortured visciously by Xuan men. In here we can see her relationship with XL is growing although they were frenemyies. We further knew about XiangLiu and Jing knowing each other. They team up to help Xiao Liu. No matter how much Xiao Liu wanted to cut Shi Qi out from life, she just could not do. In this chapter we also learned about her voodoo bugs for protection which she plant in Xuan though intended for Xiang Liu. To those who hurt her must get hurt too. Overall, Xiao Liu is at all cost try best to avoid Jing  but destiny still brought them to see each other. She could not stop missing Shi Qi. No matter how great a lord jing is, he will still be Ye Shi Qi for Xiao Liu, always be caring for her.  

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Thanks to : @Peng, @ Winny Aye <3

Here is the complete analysis of our Chapter5 Novel and Drama Xiao-Jing Exploration:

"Entangled Hearts: The Dance of Love and Intrigue in Chapter 5 of 'Lost You Forever"

In the quaint setting of Qing Shui Town, where the delicate fragrance of ever blooming flowers mingles with the subtle undertones of political intrigue, Chapter 5 of "Lost You Forever by Tong Hua unveils a captivating dance of emotions between Wen Xiao Liu (WXL) and Tushan Jing (YSQ). As the narrative intricately weaves its threads, exploring the complexities of relationships, familial ties, and unspoken desires, the poignant story  continue to unfolds.

WXL's Initial Avoidance and Jing's Concern: 

The chapter commences with WXL's poignant attempt to avoid the brewing emotions and pressing matters that concern her. Engaging in mundane activities like peeling cashews, she seeks refuge from the emotional turbulence within. This pattern of avoidance, established since earlier chapters, reflects WXL's internal struggle with confronting her feelings. Jing, keenly observant, enters the scene as a figure of elegance and command, clad in richly decorated attire that immediately commands respect.

Despite WXL's efforts to distract herself, Jing sidesteps the need for explicit communication. His silent presence beside her, engaging in the seemingly trivial task of peeling cashews, speaks volumes. It underscores Jing's quiet understanding of WXL's emotional state and his willingness to share the unspoken burden.

Jing's First Move:

Jing's decision to make the first move is a pivotal moment. By sitting next to WXL and presenting a plate of peeled cashews, Jing offers a symbolic peace offering. The act of peeling cashews becomes a shared endeavor, subtly conveying his desire for harmony and acknowledgment of the unspoken tension. This moment sets the stage for a shift in their dynamic.

Revelation of Tushan Jing's Background:

The narrative takes an intriguing turn as it unveils the complexities within the Tu Shan family, exposing Jing's position as the second son with remarkable capabilities. The portrayal of his dominance over the elder brother sheds light on his leadership within the family, adding nuance to his character. This revelation deepens the understanding of Jing's multifaceted nature and the intricate family dynamics that shape him.

WXL's Reaction to Jing's Background

WXL's response to the revelations about Jing's family is  avoidiance/confronting what  matters to him. Instead of going to him and talk, he stays  where he is and distract himself without joy. Still, her suspicion and wariness likely align with the knowledge that Yeshiqi (YSQ) is not a mere lord with a simple background. The complex family situation introduces layers to Jing's character, challenge WXL's existing perceptions and paving the way for further exploration.

Xiao Liu's Teasing and Jing's Subdued Strength:

As WXL continues to peel cashews, she engages in teasing banter, attempting to lighten the atmosphere. However, her playfulness takes a poignant turn when she inquires about Jing's new name, subtly implying the necessity of adapting to his changed status. Jing's reaction, tightening his grip on a cashew until it turns to powder, hints at the internal struggle and emotional pain he carries. 

This moment captures the undercurrents of tension and unspoken emotions that define their complex relationship. It's worth to be developped as follow:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

********@********  

Jing's Physical Strength and Emotional Resilience: 

The concluding scene, where Jing firmly holds onto WXL's arm, transcends physical strength. It symbolizes his emotional resilience and determination to navigate the complexities of their shared history. The struggle in WXL's attempts to break free highlights the emotional impact of their intertwined past. Jing's unwavering grasp becomes a metaphor for his commitment to addressing the complexities that define their relationship.

The Protective Voodoo Bug:

*** A s a Testament to Xiao Liu's Intelligence- the chapter reveals Xiao Liu's cunning and resourcefulness in using a voodoo bug as a protective measure. This unique and powerful tool reflects Xiao Liu's intelligence and strategic thinking. Despite its intended use on Xiang Liu to primary kill/control him, the bug finds its way into Xuan's body, setting the stage for intricate developments in the story.

"In truth, I raised a voodoo bug inside of my body, and that bug is now in Xuan’s body. From now on, when my body hurts, his body will also experience the same pain."

Army Provisions and the Longing for the Land: 

The narrative brings attention to the struggles of the Sheng Nong army, highlighting their unwavering determination and love for their land. The soldiers' poignant singing reflects their deep connection to the cause, even as the wheels of history turn against them.

"Only by giving up, bowing low, could they get a sweet wife, a cute kid, perhaps even the wealth given by the Emperor. But they still persisted to cling on to their belief, to hold onto something most people no longer cared about, to risk their lives for it."

Xuan's Enigma and the Bargain with Xiao Liu:

Xuan's mysterious persona takes center stage as he engages in a ruthless interrogation, revealing a darker side beneath his charismatic exterior. The bargain struck with Xiao Liu adds complexity to the narrative, showcasing the intricate relationships at play.

"That man wore a complete and utter mask. People who wore masks, you can tell it’s a mask. But his mask appeared to be a part of him, completely natural and effortless."

-Amidst the unfolding events, Xiao Liu's mind is driften back to the cherished memories of her past, where the warmth of family, particularly her Gege, enveloped her world. She reminisces about playful days, sharing laughter and innocent moments. Gege, a pillar of strength, hid vulnerabilities that only Xiao Liu saw.The memories highlight their close relationship, revealing the protective and caring nature of Gege.... 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Xiang Liu's Enigma and the Bargain with Xiao Liu: 

In this chapter, Xiang Liu's enigmatic nature as he navigates a ruthless interrogation, unveiling a darker facet beneath his charismatic exterior. 

Potential Motivations: 

Xiang Liu's motives for revealing this information may include a desire to shape Xiao Liu's opinions or to prepare her for the complexities of dealing with Tu Shan Jing. It could also be a subtle way of trying to influence her decisions in the future. 

Revised Assessment: 

Xiang Liu's role in revealing Tu Shan Jing's background is more purposeful and calculated than initially described. The information shared is likely strategic, serving a specific purpose in the broader narrative. Xiang Liu's actions, as always, are layered, and his motivations extend beyond mere disclosure. He remind her he can also be an assassin for hire if needed.  He knew jing had the power to help him.  

**Overall Clarification: Xiang Liu's multifaceted nature makes it challenging to pinpoint a singular motive for his actions. His overall agenda remains enigmatic. The revelation about Tu Shan Jing is a part of his larger strategy, and its true implications may unfold as the story progresses. 

-"I would kill Hou for you, but I won’t kill Jing for Hou. Do we have a deal?"

The bargain struck with Xiao Liu further accentuates the complexities within the narrative, exposing the intricate relationships at play. The quote, "I would kill Hou for you, but I won’t kill Jing for Hou. Do we have a deal?" - encapsulates the intricacies of the characters' connections. Xiang Liu's willingness to make deals, coupled with the explicit mention of Jing's exclusion from harm, hints his trust on Jing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jing's Protective Nature and Emotional Nuances: 

Amidst the political maneuvering, Jing's protectiveness towards Xiao Liu becomes palpable. His negotiation skills and unwavering commitment to Xiao Liu's safety highlight a character capable of navigating both societal expectations and personal relationships.

"You don’t have to be alone."

WXL and YHQ-Tu Shan Jing Journey to Forever Never Parting:

The introduction of Tu Shan Jing adds layers to the narrative, revealing his elegance, wealth, and a hidden familial conflict. The dynamics between Xiao Liu and Jing become more apparent as they navigate their shared past and evolving relationship.

"Shi Qi said something in a low voice and Jing Ye bowed and retreated. He walked over and sat next to Xiao Liu and placed the plate of peeled cashews before him."

Xuan's Enigma in Jail: 

The enigma of Xuan deepens as the narrative shifts to his time in jail. The portrayal of Xuan wearing a complete and utter mask resonates with a promise of "Forever Never Parting." This repetition hints at a connection between the characters that transcends the confines of incarceration.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Symbols in Chapter 5:

• Xuan's Interrogation and Jail:

• Symbol of Power Dynamics: Xuan's ruthless interrogation and the mention of jail symbolize power dynamics and control. The jail becomes a metaphor for confinement, reflecting the characters' struggles against external forces.
  • The Voodoo Bug:

• Symbol of Strategy: The voodoo bug introduced in Chapter 5 symbolizes Xiao Liu's strategic thinking. Its presence and use reflect her intelligence and resourcefulness in navigating complex situations.

Xiang Liu's Bargain:

• Symbol of Alliances: Xiang Liu's bargain, especially the exclusion of harm to Jing, symbolizes alliances and intricate relationships. It hints at a web of connections between the characters, adding layers to the unfolding plot.

Conclusion: 

As the delicate threads of love, sacrifice, and enduring strength intertwine, Chapter 5 unfolds as a captivating tapestry. The strategic use of the voodoo bug, the challenges faced by the Sheng Nong army, and the enigmatic connections between characters , the revelation of Yeshiqi's identity , promise a captivating continuation of the tale. 

Xiao Liu and Tu Shan Jing's - evolving relationship takes center stage, with Jing's protectiveness and Xiao Liu's resilience shaping a dynamic couple destined to navigate the intricate dance of love and intrigue. The motif of "Forever Never Parting" echoes the promise of a connection that transcends the challenges laid before them, hinting at a future where destinies are intricately woven and fates are bound  to be together.

The  drama covering added colors, lights , emotions, and subtle details intertwined to create a captivating tableau. The reader is left anticipating the next strokes, eager to witness how love, sacrifice, and enduring strength will continue to shape the destiny of these captivating duo that are Tushan Jing/Yeshiqi and Xiao Yao/Liu.  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------       @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Chapter 6:

Xiao Liu Healing&Endurance

Xiao Liu’s body was very unique so wounds healed faster than most. Jing also left a lot of good medicine ranging from the bones and elixirs from Jade Mountain, harnessed crystal, whatever was in the vast wilderness that was precious it was here. Xiao Liu’s injuries healed quickly.

Xiao Liu never hesitated or was shy about using anything, dumping the entire jar of bone essence to soak his hand in. But the only thing he never used was painkillers. Everyday he loudly howled in pain and jumped up and down.

I wanted to write something long but something came up and I could not. So I will just review about these two first passages. Xiao Liu was in great pain. She is using everything to heal herself. And we can see she's using precious medicines Jing left for her and her wounds were actually healing quick except that it's still very painful to her. But she did not use pain killers.

While reading I was thinking why don't she use pain killer. Is it telling us that she would heal herself at all cost, but will not avoid pain she had to endure.

but yep poor Xiao Liu.

In the context since chapter 5, according to what Xiao Liu told Jing that she would let Xuan suffer if he hurt her.  Xiao Liu let his suffering without pain killer to make Xuan suffer as for him to learn that if he hurt her he will also get hurt. This is also endurance for self defence. 

Chapter 6: Like a Familiar Person Has Come

Xiao Liu Helped Xiang Liu and Xuan

There was deadly leaves swirling towards him into a wood spirit maze but Xiang Liu didn’t even bother to solve it and instead pierced through the center and took out the man. That left only him versus Xuan, one on one.

Xiang Liu rushed Xuan but he was already injured and his spiritual power greatly decreased, whereas Xuan wasn’t even hurt and was full of power. Xuan held a wooden spirit long whip in his left hand and a golden short sword in his right hand. He was actually able to deftly control two different powers at the same time and attacked, with the whip like a snake and the sword like a lion.

Xiao Liu called out “Xiang Liu, left hand.” Xiao Liu smashed his left hand on the tree and the pain was excruciating. Xuan’s attack slipped.

“Right hand.”

Xiao Liu smashed his right hand on the tree and Xuan almost dropped his weapon.

Xiang Liu was able to laugh even in the middle of battle while Xuan glared in rage and send his whip flying towards Xiao Liu. Xiao Liu lowered his head and slid down the tree into the thick forest where the winged rides wouldn’t enter so Xuan couldn’t reach him.

Xiang Liu ordered “Left leg, right hand.”

Xiao Liu cursed but took a spiked branch and viciously smashed down on his left leg at the same time as he smashed his right hand on a rock. Xiang Liu summoned his powers and tossed his sword away as he flew towards Xuan, clearly intending to deliver the killing blow. Xuan was able to roll off his winged ride so Xiang Liu’s attack struck the beast instead.

Xuan fell from a great height and loudly smashed through a giant tree. He was greatly injured and covered in blood but he jumped right back up and started running while calling for his men.

In the deep forest, the trees were so thick the winged rides couldn’t enter so Xiang Liu jumped off his condor and started chasing after Xuan on foot.

Xiao Liu was jumping from tree to tree like a monkey and following along. Suddenly his eyes spotted something long and white. It looked like the tail of an animal. Before Xiao Liu could process it, his body froze. He jumped over and picked up the white thing hanging on a tree – it was a fluffy white fox tail. Xiao Liu’s entire person was immobilized. Then his lips curled into a smile, and within that smile there was tears in his eyes that were about to fall sorrowfully.

Suddenly his face changed and he charged after Xiang Liu and Xuan like a crazed person.

Xuan was flying but Xiang Liu suddenly darted out like a ghost from within the thicket, his hands already transformed into razor sharp claws like five daggers, and it was swiftly aimed at Xuan. Xuan blocked with his whip but the whip was destroyed but the claw hand was intact. Xiang Liu’s eyes glowed demon red and Xuan’s body was pressed down like a mountain was on top of him. He couldn’t move or dodge but he refused to close his eyes. If he was going to die, then he wanted to see clearly how he died.

A figure flew forward like a shooting star into Xuan’s embrace and blocked Xiang Liu’s thunderous blow.

Ah—Xiao Liu painfully screamed.

Xuan felt the exact same pain, it pierced him straight through the heart. But he only felt the pain and wasn’t actually injured. Xuan stared in shock at Xiao Liu, not understanding why Xiao Liu saved his life at his own expense.

Xiao Liu pushed him hard “Run!”

Xiang Liu wouldn’t let Xuan escape and tried to attack again. Xiao Liu turned and risked his life again, tightly grabbing onto Xiang Liu’s clawed hand to prevent him from attacking Xuan again.

Xuan’s men arrived and helped him escape, but Xuan turned and gave Xiao Liu a mystified look.

Xiang Liu was so close to victory but Xiao Liu ruined it. He was enraged and kicked Xiao Liu hard. Xiao Liu crumpled to the ground but still used every ounce of his might to hold on to to Xiang Liu’s leg so he couldn’t chase after Xuan.

Xuan was helped on a winged ride which rose into the clouds and disappeared. He leaned on his servant and tightly clenched his lips as he felt the same pain. The pain was in his stomach, his arms, every part of his body hurt. It was like his entire body was being ripped to shreds. But he knew he wasn’t going to be ripped to shreds, because this pain didn’t belong to him, it belonged to Xiao Liu.

Xiao Liu offered to help Xiang Liu by hurting herself physically. I guess that this was due her frenemy bond with him and her sympathy for Sheng Nong army soldiers. And then she found the fox tail which represented her past bond with Xuan. And then she helped Xuan with her own life. I am glad Xuan still got to share pain with her .

Chapter 6: Like a Familiar Person Has Come

Xiao Liu and Xuan

Xiang Liu’s rage was like the churning ocean, threatening to swallow everything in its path. Xiao Liu knew Xiang Liu would kill him but felt no fear.

The red blood around her made her see the fire red phoenix flowers. Under the phoenix tree, there was a Mom who made a swing for her. She stood on the swing and welcomed the falling phoenix leaves. She rose high and her laughter blanketed the earth. Gege stood under the phoenix tree, looking up at her with a smile. When she came down, he pushed her up again. Her swing rose up, came down, rose up, came down…..

Xuan asked “Why are you here in Qing Shui Town.”

“Wandering the world, I wandered my way here. I liked it so decided to stay.”

“You and Nine-lives Xiang Liu are…..very close?” Xiao Liu thought “This question isn’t suitable to be answered when drinking.”

“Then drink a few more bowls then answer.”

Xuan poured Xiao Liu a big bowl and Xiao Liu drank it “I’m scared of him, but I don’t dislike him. I am not enemies with him, but also not friends.”

Xuan replied “He’s too smart, otherwise I really want to sit down and calmly drink with him once.”

Xiao Liu asked “You and Ah Nian…..is it really just sibling feelings between you guys?”

Xuan laughed “Now this question is suited to answer when drinking.”

Xiao Liu poured him a big bowl and Xuan gulped it down. He said nothing so Xiao Liu poured him another bowl. He gulped it down and took out a satchel from his robe. He opened it and pulled out a furry thing that looked like a snowball. He shook it and it expanded into a white fox tail “This is my little sister cousin’s precious treasure. When we were parting, she gave it to me but said it was just temporarily for me to play with. But that temporarily has become three hundred years.”

Xuan lightly stroked the white fox tail “My little sister is the daughter of my Aunt and my Master. I promised my Aunt I would take care of my little sister, but I broke my promise. When my little sister was small, she went missing. They all say she’s dead but I still have a shred of hope. I hope that she is alive and will come back to ask for this fox tail back. Ah Nian is also the daughter of my Master. I am good to her because it’s like being good to my missing sister.”

Xiao Liu appeared totally under the influence and needed to hold onto Xuan. He raised a bowl and used it to wipe away a tear. Xuan curled the fox tail back into a ball and put it into the satchel, and then tucked the satchel snugly next to his body. He poured more wine and drank with Xiao Liu.

After two jugs were finished, the two fell asleep drunk. In the middle of the night, Xiao Liu woke up to find Xuan had left. Xiao Liu couldn’t fall back asleep so laid awake until sunrise.

For the rest of the Winter, Xuan and Xiao Liu would often drink together. In the beginning, the two would shoot the breeze but after some time, Xuan really saw Xiao Liu as a friend and would even ask him how to use poisons. Xiao Liu was very honest and open with Xuan, telling him all about poisons and how to cure it and mix it. He even shared simple ways to avoid poisons. Sometimes Xiao Liu would earnestly warn him “Xiang Liu wants to kill you. Even if he can’t send soldiers to Qing Shui Town, the Sheng Nong resistance army is based near here for the past hundreds of years. You really should leave soon.”

Xuan thought they were real friends but when he wanted to get closer, 

Xiao Liu would pretend to be clueless.

The two appeared to be only superficial friends. When they were drunk, they could laugh. When they were sober, they were strangers.

Although it was not directly said, readers could guess that Xiao Liu is Xuan's little lost cousin. The nine tailed fox tail is evidence. When Xiao Liu was near death, she would think of her happy times in childhood with her mom and her brother. After, saving his life, I have a feeling Xuan really wanted to befriend Xiao Liu.It seems to me Xiao Liu was distancing herself from Xuan although liked spending time with him. Xuan must have felt that Xiao Liu might not be sincere because she also helped Xiang Liu, and therefore could not trust her completely. And Xiao Liu's feelings for Xiang Liu that she mentioned are honest because she don't hate him. Yet they could not be called "friends". 

Chapter 6: Like A Familiar Person Has Come

Neck Bite & Shivering Bliss

Xiang Liu’s rage was like the churning ocean, threatening to swallow everything in its path. Xiao Liu knew Xiang Liu would kill him but felt no fear.
The red blood around her made her see the fire red phoenix flowers. Under the phoenix tree, there was a Mom who made a swing for her. She stood on the swing and welcomed the falling phoenix leaves. She rose high and her laughter blanketed the earth. Gege stood under the phoenix tree, looking up at her with a smile. When she came down, he pushed her up again. Her swing rose up, came down, rose up, came down…..
Xiang Liu’s razor sharp claw came down towards Xiao Liu’s neck but Xiao Liu’s eyes were wide open and he smiled sweetly towards him, his smile like a flower blooming in the Spring. Xiao Liu’s thin neck was in Xiang Liu’s hand, he only need squeeze and all trouble would be gone. Xiao Liu smiled and sighed softly, as if he was content. His head lowered and his eyes closed.
Xiang Liu jerked back his hand, picking up Xiao Liu and taking him away.

When Xiao Liu opened his eyes, he was in the middle of a cave, his entire body soaked in small pool. There was all sorts of precious medicines tossed into the pool For anyone else, mixing all these various herbs and medicines would do more harm than good. But for Xiao Liu’s weird body, soaking in all sorts of random things actually helped.
There was likely a painkiller medicine in there as well because Xiao Liu felt his body was soft and painless. Not far from the pool, Xiang Liu sat on a jade pallet, his brows furrowed as if all the energy was focused there, as if he was about to collapse at any moment. Xiao Liu didn’t dare move or speak so quietly closed his eyes.
“Why did you save him?” Xiang Liu’s voice was icy cold, containing his tamped down rage.
Xiao Liu’s mind twirled for a minute but didn’t even hesitate and said clearly “Because I know who he is.”
Xiang Liu’s brow lifted slightly.

Xiao Liu continued “A few days ago I was mulling over why you were so free with your time lately and actually spending every day with me. Then I realized you weren’t taking care of me, you were waiting for Xuan. Jing wanted me to hide in the mountains because he knew that you guys had been battling with the Xuan Yuan army for hundreds of years and they still couldn’t track you down. If you wanted, there was no way Xuan could have found me. But you guessed his real identity, and you knew he wouldn’t let me live, so you used me to set a trap with the intention to kill him.
“So I used you as a lure. You have a problem with that?”
“Normally no, since he wants to kill me so best take him out. But I know now who he really is.
He is Zhuan Xu, one of the Xuan Yuan Kingdom princes. Not just any prince, he is the eldest grandson prince of the Yellow Emperor! If I help you kill him, then the Yellow Emperor will surely wreak vengeance on the world and I won’t have any peace. There won’t be a place within the vast wilderness that I can hide!”

Xiang Liu opened his eyes and stared “I used to think you had some guts.”
Xiao Liu responded “Sorry for disappointing you. You dare to make an enemy of the Yellow Emperor, I don’t. The rage of an Emperor, the blood flows a thousand miles! I cannot endure it!”
“How did you learn Xuan’s identity?”
“When you were chasing him, one of his servants was so frantic he slipped and said something about hurry up and save Prince Zhuan Xu. It was mumbled but you were willing to endure massive injury to try and kill him and there isn’t a lot of people in the vast wilderness that would get you that worked up. I thought about it and connected the dots.”
Xiang Liu stood up and walked into the pool, his hand grabbed Xiao Liu’s neck and slammed it against the stone side “You knew that I would risk severe injury to kill him!” Xiao Liu had no strength to resist so backed down “I ruined your big plan, so if you want to kill me then kill me!” He docilely stuck out his neck and closed his eyes.
Xiang Liu coldly laughed “Kill you? That’s be too easy on you!” He lowered his head and bit down hard on Xiao Liu’s neck and drank his blood as if to release his rage. Xiao Liu leaned his neck back and rested on the side of the pool. Thank god he was of some use to Xiang Liu. Since Xiang Liu was a nine-headed demon with a very strange form, it was near impossible for him to find medicine to heal his injuries. Which is why the equally strange form Xiao Liu was his best medicine.

Xuan was laying on the pallet and suddenly bolted upright and touched his neck. He was still alive!
In the beginning there was a sharp pain like teeth biting through the flesh. But gradually, the pain transformed into something odd. In the pain there was a sensation of numbness, a shivering feeling of bliss, as if someone was sucking, and licking, and lightly kissing.
Xuan felt his mouth turn dry and was suddenly very angry. With such severe injuries, was that guy crazy or what the heck was he doing?

Xiang Liu raised his head and stared at Xiao Liu, blood staining his lips, his eyes darkened, his breath slightly labored. Xiao Liu was initially sitting sprawled like a man but suddenly he slid down and unconsciously wanted to cover his chest, but he immediately stopped himself and continued to sit sprawled open.

Xiang Liu’s hand moved down from his neck, tracing his jawline, down his clavicle. Xiao Liu grabbed his hand and smiled “I’m a man. Even if you like men, you should find someone better looking.”

“You’re a man?” Xiang Liu’s slightly blood stained lips curved upward “If you’re a man, how did you lure the Jiu Jiu out?”

Xiao Liu blinked quizzically “I don’t believe you can’t change your shape as well as voice.”

“I trust a beast’s natural instinct.”

“If a beast’s natural instinct was so accurate, your Furball wouldn’t have been poisoned by me. There would be no such thing as traps, and hunters wouldn’t need to hunt.”

“What kind of transformation spell are you using? You have very weak powers but it’s completely seamless just like it’s your true form!”

Xiao Liu angrily said “This is my true form!”

Xiang Liu stared at him, his eyes as dark as ink, and Xiao Liu’s heart started racing. He violently shook off Xiang Liu’s hand and then spread himself open like a dead pig headed to boiling water “Touch me then, touch me. After you’re done then stop accusing me of being a woman!”

Xiang Liu glared at him “I’m not interested in your false form.” He released Xiao Liu, turned and walked out of the pool to go lay on the pallet and continued healing himself.

Xiao Liu’s wildly nervous heart finally relaxed. He was already severely injured, plus Xiang Liu drank his blood, so his head was woozy and he laid down in the pool to also start healing himself.

I consider this is the first intimate scene between Xiao Liu and Xiang Liu. The feelings are still not clear though. I shared the whole scene to understand it as a whole. It's implied in first passage that Xiao Liu was not scared that Xiang Liu would kill her and then her memory went back to when she was happy with her mother and her brother. And also her original form of being feminine came back to her. I think that's why she smiled sweetly. This was the first time he asked her about her being woman as well. This phrase, "Xiao Liu’s eyes were wide open and he smiled sweetly towards him, his smile like a flower blooming in the Spring." is when Xiang Liu was looking at Xiao Liu. So i think it's implied to his feelings. (And about this "Blooming in Spring" is a reminder of the time when Qi Yo fell in love with A Heng just by getting her smell and seeing her playing in stream. In that passage it's implied spring is a time beasts find mates, I may reshare the scene if you xiaojing fans like). And then he started suck/bite her neck and this sensation came "In the pain there was a sensation of numbness, a shivering feeling of bliss, as if someone was sucking, and licking, and lightly kissing." but that feeling is written through Xuan's feeling by his bug  connection with Xiao Liu. The meaning of bliss is happiness/joy but in this whole scene, I do not take bliss as Xiao Yao's happiness towards Xiang Liu's actions. But some sort of excitement because of getting touch like that. 

Definetly it is not romantic. She was more of scared and nervous. All that she was telling him were all lies. Therefore to me romance is not feeling and very vague, especially her side, because the word used to describe her feeling directly is "nervous". The next scene between her and Jing is very different because her feelings for Jing is told very directly.