HeadInTheClouds:
What if she put out another epilogue and it ruined everything 0_0? A part of me wondered if the reason she hadn't continued with this universe was because whatever she put out might undo her carefully constructed LY's romance in LYF.

True. There is always that danger. So perhaps the safest bet is still to have the LYF prequel, which means more of Xiang Liu, without abating the pain we feel over his fate.

HeadInTheClouds:
I know that one major reason that I'm not watching Season 2 is because the leaked script is heading towards this exact scenario. They've already made changes in Season 1, but so far, they have been acceptable, but that abomination that is the supposed Season 2 belongs to the trash can. It's a darn shame because I really like TJC's XL :-(

Unfortunately, I am in too deep that I can't not watch S2, even if I have to live in abject dread with each new episode. Which means I will be crossing everything I can cross that we are pleasantly surprised by the end of it.

liddi:
It is true that one's memories may be hazy after a drunken stupor, but we are talking about Xiao Yao, who can hold her liquor with the best of them - remember her drinking sessions with Cang Xuan way back when, where she managed to not reveal anything she did not want to, and still stay pretty lucid despite being tipsy. 

@solarlunareclipse gave excellent example of XY 's memory loss after being druken on her wedding night. She also got drunk in chapter 20. And the alcohol that XL gave to her was very very strong. 

liddi:
The last time there was any mention of the xingxing mirror prior to Ch51 was in Vol 3 Ch1 (Chapter 34) when she loaned it to Jing to record Hou and Yi Ying's duplicity. While she always had the mirror with her, the novel does not tell us when the last time she looked at those two memories was.

For sure that he did not erase her memory in the mirror during 37 years. in chapter 24, she still looked at the mirror with the image of XL swimming in the ocean

The Grand Emperor nodded and took Xiao Yao’s hand to examine her callouses “Your persistence with archery is beyond what I expected. Xiao Yao, why do you desire such ability? Is it because we don’t make you feel safe enough?”

Xiao Yao cocked her head and smiled “It’s not that I don’t trust you all, it’s that I’m used to years of taking care of myself. I’ve got so much time on my hands I ought to find things to do.”

Xiao Yao pulled her hand back to put her mirror away but the Grand Emperor grabbed it and waved his hand across. The image of Xiang Liu swimming in the ocean depths appeared and Xiao Yao stared in a daze. Even though when she was unconscious Xiang Liu told her to erase the images, but after she woke up he didn’t mention it again so she had forgotten about it.

The Grand Emperor asked “Is he Nine-lives Xiang Liu? This time, he was the one who saved you?”

Xiao Liu answered in a low voice “Yes.”

The Grand Emperor covered the mirror with his hand and the image of Xiang Liu disappeared.

Chapter 46, XY passed out at the last moment when she and Left Ear was about to leave

After a moment Xiang Liu said quietly “You can take her back now.”

Xiao Yao lifted her head to stare at Xiang Liu “You should take as much as you can tonight. After tonight, you and I are strangers – for this life and this lifetime, I never ever want to see you again!”

Because of the blood loss, Xiao Yao couldn’t even see anymore so she didn’t get to see Xiang Liu’s expression, all she heard was him say again “Take her home now!

Xiao Yao fainted dead away, and the tears she was struggling to hold in finally fell from her eyes and splashed down her cheeks into the urn, causing a ripple.

Xiang Liu silently stared at the blood in the urn as the ripples spread out.

Left Ear kneeled down and bowed silently to Xiang Liu before taking Xiao Yao away.

I think our different view stems from the point that you intepret XY erased her memory of the drinking night in Qing Shui thus that is the evidence that he was capable of doing so. I have never considered her haziness that time due to his removal of her memory.

liddi:
1 hour ago
 solarlunareclipse:
Chi Shui is one of the Four Great Clans: Tu Shan, Chi Shui, Xi Ling, Gui Fang. I think Kokuto said the Four Great Clans were all from the Central Plains. Is Chi Shui the exception?

The Chi Shui clan is one of the Four Great Clans of the Central Plains. Chi Shui is accessible by waterway (ref Autumn tournament) and we learn of its direction when the Gao Xin king intended to bring Xiao Yao to meet A Heng at the desert:

Gaoxin was in the south of Central Plains. And Chi Shui was down south of Central Plain. Therefore, Chi Shui located to North West of Gaoxin. Qing Shui was south east of Central Plain --> it located north east to Gaoxin

Feng Long stood up and waved his hand and a water based map of the entire vast wilderness appeared “Look at the location of Xuan Yuan Castle. Long ago, when the Yellow Emperor and Empress Lei Zhu founded the Xuan Yuan Kingdom and was picking its capital, they selected this place because it can control the Northwest. The Castle is ringing on all four sides by mountains and hard to get in and out which makes it hard to conquer. Back then the Sheng Nong Kingdom couldn’t ever vanquish Xuan Yuan. But now thousands have years have passed and Xuan Yuan is no longer a little kingdom in the Northwest. It’s now got the Northeast, the due South, the far North, and the entire Middle Plains. All such great lands belong to Xuan Yuan!”

Feng Long pointed to the entire Xuan Yuan map and where Xuan Yuan Castle was located in the remote Northwest didn’t appear worthy of being the capital of such a vast kingdom, and it’s location would become hard for it to exercise influence throughout all its controlled territories.

Feng Long said “Zhuan Xu, do you see clearly? THIS is the entire world that you will rule over one day.”

Zhuan Xu’s hand was shaking “I see it clearly!”

Feng Long was shaking with excitement “Give up Xuan Yuan Castle and come to the Middle Plains! The Middle Plains is the center of the vast wilderness. Seated in the Middle Plains is where one can control the entire vast wilderness. And if one day you want to lead an army South….” Feng Long pointed at the Gao Xing Kingdom and grabbed it “It would be a piece of cake.”

(Vol 1 Chapter 16)

HeadInTheClouds:
XY has affection for YSQ. Very different in degree and "texture" to her love for XL. Her feelings for YSQ stemmed from pity and responsibility and their "romantic" relationship is rooted in conditions and practical considerations.

This ironically is affirmed by the BTS where the director herself explained that Xiao Yao wanted to kiss him out of pity, to encourage him because of his inferiority complex. 

HeadInTheClouds:
So whatever it is XY feels for YSQ, it never threatened the Lovers Bugs. 

THIS. Exactly. If it did threaten the lovers bugs, Xiao Yao would have died from the bugs' retaliation long ago.

HeadInTheClouds:
This was why he was more concerned about the life-connection property of the Lovers Bugs - fearing that if XL died, XY would die with him (i.e. no XY for him to cling to) - but didn't care about the emotional/heart connection aspects.

I never thought of it that way, but you have a point there. I thought he might have bought Xiao Yao's nonsense about the lovers bug properties regarding love and heartbreak being not quite as the Shaman King explained since she cited Cang Xuan as an example, Now that you mention it, it can also be seen as him being resigned to the fact that Xiao Yao's heart was joined with Xiang Liu, something he has no way to change, and only cared that she survived when Xiang Liu dies in battle.

HeadInTheClouds:
I think even before she confirmed his identity in her bedchamber, she already "knew" that FFB was XL. 

I think she instinctively felt so, but she could never be sure because the lovers bug never responded, and Fangfeng Bei's behaviour seemed to be poles apart from Xiang Liu's.  I always wondered about her response to him, asking him to give up everything and she would follow him to roam the world. Her thoughts in the book seemed to indicate that she was calling his bluff and never believed that he was being serious. But, how much of her answer was her own honest desire to be able to say "yes" and act upon it with him? 

HeadInTheClouds:
I would like to add that she was also not erm..wearing her undergarment that night. Her cousin's leering just before made her self-conscious and yet, the next moment she was lying in bed with this very unsuitable man.

I always thought she planted the undergarment in the first place to ensure Yue Liang (in the drama, it was the other cousin Shi Ran) would be deterred from searching her bedchambers. However, if it wasn't planted, her instinctively lying down on the bed with Xiang Liu just points out how at ease she was with him, even in such a suggestive state. Back in Qingshui town, and later on when she regained her true form, she would naturally sleep in his presence, on Furball, in his arms, in the seashell, which goes to show the level of trust she had in him.  

HeadInTheClouds:
And there was that missing 2nd night. Did they sleep on the same bed again?

Tong Hua doesn't say anything, but given how naturally she laid down with him the first night, I doubt it would be any different. All those unanswered questions about the missing hours...

To me what's more confusing is not that Jing wasn't concerned about the emotional connection of the bugs, I agree with @HeadInTheClouds interpretation, what confuse me most is how come XY wasn't more concerned about the life and death connection. She kept making plans with Jing, getting married and all that, or even later on, when she agreed to become the next royal mother (btw, I always found it weird that the royal mother told her about breaking the connection only after Jing came), but she never seemed too concerned that her life could end once XL dies.  Would royal mother have told her about breaking the bugs if Jing wouldn't have come? 

H19279:
@solarlunareclipse gave excellent example of XY 's memory loss after being druken on her wedding night. She also got drunk in chapter 20. And the alcohol that XL gave to her was very very strong. 

True. But strong alcohol does not ensure that she would not remember. It was a gamble, and I don't think Xiang Liu would gamble, not with something like this.

H19279:
Chapter 46, XY passed out at the last moment when she and Left Ear was about to leave

Yes, as readers we know that Xiao Yao passed out and Left Ear took her away soon after that. However, my point is Xiao Yao does not know when Left Ear took her away. This was another time she was in Xiang Liu's presence and had no idea what happened because she was unconscious. Unless we are told that she saw the memories again after that night, before Xiang Liu's death (which we are not), to her, this was another possible time when the memories might have been erased, and not necessarily only after she killed herself.

H19279:
I think our different view stems from the point that you intepret XY erased her memory of the drinking night in Qing Shui thus that is the evidence that he was capable of doing so. I have never considered her haziness that time due to his removal of her memory.

Yes. This looks like yet another instance where we may have to agree to disagree.

H19279:
Gaoxin was in the south of Central Plains. And Chi Shui was down south of Central Plain. Therefore, Chi Shui located to North West of Gaoxin. Qing Shui was south east of Central Plain --> it located north east to Gaoxin

The prologue states that Gao Xin was situated at the southeast of the Great Wilderness, not the Central Plains. 

Three powerful deity civilizations divided the world: in the Central Plains was Shen Nong, to the southeast was Gao Xin, and to the northwest was Xuan Yuan.

-- Prologue

If Chi Shui was due Northwest from Gao Xin, then it was probably at the southern frontier of the Central Plains?

According to Vol 1 Ch2, Qingshui Town was located north of Gao Xin. Xuan Yuan via the Central Plains borders it to the west:

清水镇西接轩辕,南邻高辛,东靠共工义军

Qingshui Town borders Xuan Yuan to the west, Gao Xin to the south, and the Shen Nong rebel army to the east.

-- Vol 1 Ch2

Have you ever seen a complete map of the LYF universe? 

liddi:
The Chi Shui clan is one of the Four Great Clans of the Central Plains.
 H19279:

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for confirming that Chi Shui is in the Central Plains. 

@liddi, I found it a bit misleading that the table lists the location of Chi Shui as "Northwest?" It might be clearer to change this to something like "South West area of the Central Plains" instead of "Northwest?"

liddi:
小夭喃喃说:“不可能!不可能!他不可能就这么死了!我一点感觉都没有,我什么感觉都没有……”她突然想起,情人蛊已经被王母解了,她的确不可能有感觉,小夭眼前发黑,身子向后软去。

Xiao Yao murmured, "It cannot be! It cannot be! He could not have died just like this! I didn't feel anything, I did not feel anything at all..." She suddenly remembered that the Lovers bug had already been removed by the Royal Mother, so she would not be able to feel anything anymore indeed. Xiao Yao's vision went dark, her body went limp and she collapsed backwards.

-- Vol 3 Ch18  (Chapter 51)

Your right, this passage would seem to suggest that XY really thought Royal Mother removed the bugs. I'm wondering if the statement "她突然想起,情人蛊已经被王母解了" could also be interpreted as "She suddenly remembered that the Lovers Bug had already been explained by Royal Mother." So if we interpret "解" as meaning "explained" instead of "resolved/removed". Just playing devil's advocate :)

blabla100:
I believe her suicide was also one of her last try and plea to XL to give up on his doomed path and run away with her.

100% agree that XY's intention with poisoning herself was to make an appeal to XL. Both the lotus symbolism and Tong Hua's three parallel story arcs point to XY wanting XL to take her away when she poisoned herself: every time XY's freedom is restricted because of CX, XY wants to/does make a plea to XL to save her.

There aren't that many coincidences. Tong Hua clearly hints at XY's intention here.

blabla100:
what confuse me most is how come XY wasn't more concerned about the life and death connection. She kept making plans with Jing, getting married and all that, or even later on, when she agreed to become the next royal mother (btw, I always found it weird that the royal mother told her about breaking the connection only after Jing came), but she never seemed too concerned that her life could end once XL dies.

I don't think she really cared if she did not survive once Xiang Liu died. What I found hard to stomach was how callously she went around putting her life in danger, with no regard to how it would affect Xiang Liu, knowing that their lives are linked. She knew he had to have given one life to save her during the 37 years, yet she continued to put her life at risk - when she was trapped under the ocean during the first assassination attempt, and when she attempted to kill herself along with Cang Xuan. Or did she think that because he had nine lives, even if she died, he would not be aversely affected. To quote Xiang Liu's sarcastic remark:

“...我现在是真后悔和你这个愚蠢软弱的女人命脉相连!算我求你了,在你蠢死前,赶紧想办法,把我们的蛊解了!”

"...Now I really regret getting my life joined with a woman as stupid and weak as you! I beg of you, before you die of idiocy, quickly find a way to remove our bug connection!" 

-- Vol 3 Ch10  (Chapter 43)

solarlunareclipse:
Your right, this passage would seem to suggest that XY really thought Royal Mother removed the bugs. I'm wondering if the statement "她突然想起,情人蛊已经被王母解了" could also be interpreted as "She suddenly remembered that the Lovers Bug had already been explained by Royal Mother." So if we interpret "解" as meaning "explained" instead of "resolved/removed". Just playing devil's advocate :)

Sorry. The word 解 cannot be used to mean "explain" in this context ;) So the sentence unequivocally means that "the lovers bug had already been removed by the Royal Mother."

solarlunareclipse:
@liddi, I found it a bit misleading that the table lists the location of Chi Shui as "Northwest?" It might be clearer to change this to something like "South West area of the Central Plains" instead of "Northwest?"

Have amended to "Central Plains". Will add the direction once it is confirmed whether it is southwest or southern frontier.

@liddi

That's the thing, I don't believe XY didn't think of XL during those moments, on the contrary. XY always protected XL the same way he protected her. While Jing and CX both confessed their love to her, XY confessed her love only to XL, with the crystal ball. Even thought she knew it's hopeless, she still hoped that the world could keep him in it. She spent so much time and resorces to feed him the best poisons, because she knew he gains strenght from them, even thought she knew he's CX's number 1 enemy.  She pleaded with him with the crystal ball. She let yellow emperor know about her feelings, therefore yellow emperor asked CX to do his best to reach a deal with him.  When he was hurt în chapter 43, she desperately grabbed him and didn't allow him to leave until she healed him, at the cost of him "eating" her. After their connection broke, she begged CX to spare his life, would she still have asked him otherwise? 

About XL's sarcastic remark about regreting getting his life tied up with hers,  I still find it quite interesting that XY's reply was to sing the song about how she only wishes to be togheter, never to be separated, while pointing at the moon. I am totally biased here, I know, but I personally do feel that this song is their song, not yaojing's song. 

liddi:
Sorry. The word 解 cannot be used to mean "explain" in this context ;) So the sentence unequivocally means that "the lovers bug had already been removed by the Royal Mother."

Haha, agree that the more obvious interpretation of "情人蛊已经被王母", given the context, would be "the Lovers bug had already been removed by Royal Mother". However, without the context of the story, it seems like the interpretation, "the Lovers Bug had already been explained by Royal Mother" is technically also possible.

If we replace the subject of this sentence (情人蛊 - Lovers bug) with something else, then the more obvious interpretation of "解" would be "explained" instead of "removed/resolved." For example:

当王母的好处已经被王母
The benefits of being Royal Mother had already been explained by Royal Mother

We all know how tricky Tong Hua can be, so based on this passage alone, I don't know if we can technically rule out H19279's theory that XY was aware that XL saved her.

Moreover, even if XY really believed that Royal Mother had removed the PLBs, that's technically a different matter than the matter of her revival. She could technically know that XL saved her, but still believe that RM removed the PLBs.

I'm trying to see how many times I can use the word "technically" in a post :)

blabla100:
She spent so much time and resorces to feed him the best poisons, because she knew he gains strenght from them, even thought she knew he's CX's number 1 enemy.  She pleaded with him with the crystal ball.

It is clear intention that the last poison that she made for him was kind of souvenir instead of for eating (consuming) because the globe was extremely cold and hard. XL would not get any benefit in gaining spiritual power with that. 

solarlunareclipse:
Haha, agree that the more obvious interpretation of "情人蛊已经被王母解了", given the context, would be "the Lovers bug had already been removed by Royal Mother". However, without the context of the story, it seems like the interpretation, "the Lovers Bug had already been explained by Royal Mother" is technically also possible.

You misunderstand me. By context, I mean in context of the sentence structure, not the story, e.g. grammatically, in meaning.

The word 了 means "already". 解 can have several meanings, depending on its usage.

When used in a singular form combined with 了 as in the sentence "解了", it can mean "already undone", "untied", "terminated", "mortgaged", "paid up", “resolved", "understood", "converted into a smaller currency".

The meaning "explain" is not used as a verb in a singular form as far I am aware but usually used in combination with another word e.g. 解释 , 辩解, 分解. It is used singularly to mean "definition/interpretation" or "solution" e.g. "悖论之解 The solution to the paradox".

So in the context of the sentence, and even using your example "当王母的好处已经被题王母解了", it would mean "The benefits of being a Royal Mother has been understood by the Royal Mother".  It does not mean "explain".

solarlunareclipse:
Moreover, even if XY really believed that Royal Mother had removed the PLBs, that's technically a different matter than the matter of her revival. She could technically know that XL saved her, but still believe that RM removed the PLBs.

This I agree with. Technically, Xiao Yao specifically stated that the Royal Mother removed the Lovers bug, not that she saved her. However, in the context of that passage, there is no reason for her to say that the Royal Mother saved her, since the crucial point was that she could not sense Xiang Liu anymore due to the absence of the lovers bug connection.

@Liddi and @Solarlunareclipse 

There was loophole in Ah Bi’s story about her recovery.

He said that Royal mother saw that water was good for her thus placed her inside the water of Jade Mountain. Then she woke up. Huh how could she move herself from underwater to the room ? How did she stayed in the water, how was her condition monitored so that she was placed inside the room before the moment that she woke up. Huh, she did not ask how was she retrieved in detail. She has 3 days before the ceremony.. It was not Royal Mother saved her. According to Sir Bi, it was just the high spiritual energetic water o Jade Mountain cured her. I wanted to emphasize here that XY was Poison “god” who was most qualified for poison. She knew and understood more than anyone the effect of the poison dose that she took. It was 10 time higher than CX’s dose which could have killed a high spiritual power deity as CX if he. had not got the detoxification on time. And for sure that she knew if spiritual energy alone could save her within 26 days.

XL might cast certain spell (sleeping spell as Sir Bi assumed) thus she did not know what happened after that. Thus she might think Royal mother removed the bug when she inspected her.

@ Blabla100,

In my interpretation it was Sir Bi’s intention to ask Royal Mother to tell XY about the bug to make the story more convincing when Jing showed up. If Jing hadn’t show up, XY would have become  the next Royal Mother and she would live the rest of her life in Jade Mountain which was isolated from the rest of the world.  It would be more difficult to get update about XL’s ending. And later,  Sir Bi could tell her that story by himself. It was not wise to mention XL while she was waiting for the ceremony (Sir Bi didn’t want her run away toXL). Since Jing returned, XL would leave Jade Mountain with Jing. It was wise move to let her know she had no more connection to XL by the Royal Mother. Then he just asked RM to do so prior to XY and Jing’s visit her

liddi:
The meaning "explain" is not used as a verb in a singular form as far I am aware but usually used in combination with another word e.g. 解释 , 辩解, 分解.

Interesting, does this mean the following?

Grammatically IncorrectGrammatically CorrectTranslation
了情况。解释了情况。He explained the situation.
情况被他了。情况被他解释了。The situation was explained by him.
情况已经被他了。情况已经被他解释了。The situation has already been explained by him.

Update 1:

According to ChatGPT:

The sentence "情况已经被他解了。" is grammatically correct in Chinese. It translates to "The situation has already been solved/explained by him." Here's the breakdown:

• 情况 (qíngkuàng) - situation
  • 已经 (yǐjīng) - already
  • 被 (bèi) - passive voice marker
  • 他 (tā) - him
  • 解了 (jiě le) - solved/explained (past tense)

This sentence follows a grammatically correct structure for passive voice and conveys the idea that the situation has been resolved or explained by him.

That said, ChatGPT has been known to hallucinate some answers.

Update 2: 

I directly asked ChatGPT 4.0, "Is '情人蛊已经被王母解了' grammatically correct Chinese?" Its response was:

Yes, the sentence "情人蛊已经被王母解了" is grammatically correct in Chinese. It follows a typical structure for a passive voice sentence involving an action completed in the past:

• 情人蛊 (qíng rén gū): "Lovers' Gu" — a specific subject, likely referring to something mystical or conceptual.
  • 已经 (yǐ jīng): "already" — emphasizing that the action has been completed prior to the current moment.
  • (bèi): introduces a passive structure — indicating that the action was done by someone else.
  • 王母 (wáng mǔ): "Royal Mother" — the agent who carried out the action, often a figure from Chinese mythology.
  • 解了 (jiě le): "resolved" or "explained" — with "了" marking the completion of the action.

This construction is typical in Mandarin for expressing that an action was performed by someone in a passive format.

Again, we'll have to take the response with a grain of salt in case the answer was hallucinated.

H19279:
XL might cast certain spell (sleeping spell as Sir Bi assumed) thus she did not know what happened after that. Thus she might think Royal mother removed the bug when she inspected her.

Yes, that scenario is technically possible. However, if "情人蛊已经被王母解了" could indeed be interpreted to mean "the Lover's Gu had already been explained by Royal Mother" instead of "the Lover's Gu had already been resolved by Royal Mother," I would personally find that to be a more likely scenario because Tong Hua and Xiao Yao are both tricky people.

It appears Tencent has scheduled LYF S2 to broadcast in Jul 2024 at long last after Love Has Fireworks in June. Fingers crossed everything we feared would be rectified in the final version and we will be pleasantly surprised after all. 

cr. Toastmybuns1 twitter