Lushhh:

Lowkey only watched like 2 eps of this drama...i dropped it at 2 eps and was gonna come back after most of the eps were aired just for the sake of finishing it but uno what after reading this i realized I made the right decision to drop it.

i do this sometimes to shows I started. I do it for the sake of adding another finsihed drama to my MDL list 

Euphoria:

but i remember a similar drama douluo dalu did appeared tho

Douluo is a Tencent production that meets Tencent quality.  By Tencent quality I don't mean how high it rates on Douban.  By Tencent quality I really mean it's suitable to maintain Tencent's global reputation as a media powerhouse.  Recall Ma Hongjun's phoenix fires and Xiaowu's superspeed running, those effects rival anything from the West!

The way to think of it is that if a drama releases in China, it only has to compete with other crappy mainland dramas.  But if it gets released on WeTV, then it has to compete with Western dramas.  No way something like M:TC, with crappy CGI, crappy editing, crappy filmography is competitive with anything TV show from the West!

On novelupdates there is only chapter 1, then it skips to 16 of The longest promise. Where can i read te novel of this series?

People don't seem to understand that comment sections are meant for people to post their honest opinions, be it good or bad. It's everyone's freedom. When they don't like the negative comments, they will just label them as "hate comments" without regarding the fact that those comments have their own justification and rationale, and are not just blind hate. "If you don't like the drama, just don't watch it. No need to say anything bad about it" is one of the most common responses I see on MDL. Well, if you disagree with the negative comment, then just ignore and don't reply to it? People don't have to convince one another anyway. It's just a self expression. It's bossy to say that people can only say good things. 

Anyway, I watched this drama up to ep.8, then I dropped it. I'm not sure if I will pick it back up, but the chances are slim. I have never read the novel, but I have watched several episodes of the anime (which appears to stay more true to the novel), and I notice that they changed the personality of the male lead entirely. The original male lead is a pretty dark and flawed character, he (rightfully) hates those who trampled on and tortured his own kind, and he himself is a slave, so in no way does he have the capacity to be a nice person. The male lead in the drama version looks hella privileged, and he doesn't seem to care about the other merpeople's wellbeing either. He is just a typical nice guy male lead in a typical sappy love story. I would rather see an antihero male lead for once, even if I may hate his actions, because that makes things much more interesting and realistic.

Another thing I noticed is the original story reminds me of the Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, World of Warcraft kind of story, where there are lots of characters, war, politics and magic stuff going on. I'd love to see a Chinese xuanhuan with this kind of concept, it would be the first of its kind. But this drama is just a boring love story. And I normally enjoy love stories, but the acting and chemistry is really not up to standards. Li Yi Feng and Yukee Chen totally do not look like they are in love. Their eyes just look dead. If this is the kind of romance that they're gonna go for, I'd rather they stuck to the original plot.

If I were to see the drama as a standalone work and not compare it with the anime or novel, it still sucks. The plot doesn't make sense. Male lead jumps into the cart to save the merpeople, but it is later revealed that he has an invisible cloak. Then why didn't he just use the cloak to get in? Why jump into the cart? Oh, it's for the female lead to notice him. Then he frees the merpeople, and a few moments later they all get captured again??? That's plain stupid. He then is forced to trick and kill the female lead, but when he doesn't fulfill his mission, another person kills the female lead instead. Then why is the male needed in the first place??? Oh, so he can meet the female lead and they can fall in love. So basically, none of the plot makes sense, everything is just forced plot devices to bring the leads together. I think they are treating the audience like they're dumb.

HanShuang:

On novelupdates there is only chapter 1, then it skips to 16 of The longest promise. Where can i read te novel of this series?

What? There's like 2 volumes or something translated tho

Amy:

People don't seem to understand that comment sections are meant for people to post their honest opinions, be it good or bad. It's everyone's freedom. When they don't like the negative comments, they will just label them as "hate comments" without regarding the fact that those comments have their own justification and rationale, and are not just blind hate. "If you don't like the drama, just don't watch it. No need to say anything bad about it" is one of the most common responses I see on MDL. Well, if you disagree with the negative comment, then just ignore and don't reply to it? People don't have to convince one another anyway. It's just a self expression. It's bossy to say that people can only say good things. 

Ikr?? There's no rule saying u can out say good stuff 🙄 it's not fans only. 

@Amy also I totally agree with u. I like live stories but I live Mirror not bc of it's touching romance but the politics, Su Mo's schemes and fighting for his people, watching his emotional growth, and the general plot. Plus the chemistry and romance was just not there. I felt embarrassed and awkward watching them and just want to skip

YourDearFriend:

I knew something seemed off about the drama! Things just didn't really fit well. Like, how are the Crown Prince and Bai Ying so close? The Crown Prince was just a dead body so when did he even fall in love with Bai Ying? Why was Bai Ying so mad at Su Mo before jumping off the Mirror Tower? Why was curing Su Mo's eyes so easy? It all just seemed weird so I went to start reading the novel to understand better but within the first 5 chapters or so, It was like a whole different story! Su Mo had a whole different personality and he was blind and had a puppet too (which is much cooler in my opinion)! Na Sheng also had a different personality. I'm not too far in the novel and haven't met Bai Ying yet. I'm going to continue reading now! 

hi, can you please tell me how different is "Na Sheng's" personality from the novel to the drama is?? As you can see on the comment section, there's been a debate on Na Sheng... lol So, i'm kinda curious... please do tell...

Euphoria:

What? There's like 2 volumes or something translated tho

The longest promise, yes. It's the prequel though. I meant Mirror Twin Cities novel, not The longest Promise (Zhu Yan)

HanShuang:

The longest promise, yes. It's the prequel though. I meant Mirror Twin Cities novel, not The longest Promise (Zhu Yan)

the Mirror series have about 2 volumes tho

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/mirror-twin-cities/ 

Amy:

100% right. If I speak factually but critically about film, drama and acting without personal attacks, this is not hate speech, but my critical assessment. I have the impression that now any critical assessment that does not suit someone is called hate speech.

Euphoria:

the Mirror series have about 2 volumes tho

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/mirror-twin-cities/ 

Zhu Yan is The longest promise, with Shi Ying and Zhu Yan protagonists in the drama version too. I mean  that i'm looking for the novel with Su Mo.
https://translatisms.tumblr.com/post/85331348194/%E9%95%9C%E5%8F%8C%E5%9F%8Echapter-12-written-in-the-snow

HanShuang:

Zhu Yan is The longest promise, with Shi Ying and Zhu Yan protagonists in the drama version too. I mean  that i'm looking for the novel with Su Mo.
https://translatisms.tumblr.com/post/85331348194/%E9%95%9C%E5%8F%8C%E5%9F%8Echapter-12-written-in-the-snow

so r u looking for Longest Promise or Mirror...? the longest promise isn't translated yet

HanShuang:

oop i see what ur saying now.