As the title says, who is your non asian director/directors ? It doesn't have to be from Hollywood. I'll start:

1. David Lynch (Eraserhead, Twin Peaks, Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet)- Love his weirdness.
  2. Stanley Kubrick (Shining, Eyes Wide Shut) - King of visuals 
  3. Martin Scorsese (Taxi Driver, The Irishman, Shutter Island )
  4. Quentin Tarantino (Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction)
  • Wes Anderson
  • Ari Aster
  • David Cronenberg: His work before the year 2000 specifically.
  • Terry Gilliam
  • Peter Jackson
  • David Lynch
  • Guillermo del Toro: If I was hard pressed I would say del Toro is my absolute favorite. I've loved every one of his movies besides the two I haven't seen yet (Mimic and Pacific Rim).
  • Taika Waititi

I do like Quentin Tarantino but I wouldn't say he's one of my favorites, even though I really do love Pulp Fiction. I've never been able to get into Stanley Kubrick. I think his films are good but they aren't among my favorites. There are some classic directors that I like, specifically Ingmar Bergman, Luis Bunel, and Alfred Hitchcock, but I need to watch more of their works before I would call them favorites.

I just realized I forgot Tarsem Singh! I absolutely love The Cell and The Fall is one of my favorite films ever. His music videos are really great too, particularly R.E.M.'s Losing My Religion and Lady Gaga's 911. And also Mel Brooks, one of the funniest writer/directors. Basically I like a lot of directors. 

It's nice to see people in MDL who's interested in David Lynch's works. :)

@Sonme actually i hated Shining when i watched for the first time, i was expecting something like Twin Peaks but slow pacing of the movie and lack of dialogues made me unsatisfied but seeing other works of Kubrick made me change my mind and not to mention how his movies are visually appealing. Now Shining is one of my favorites after rewatching for the second time.

This is the first time I'm hearing of Tarsem Singh and didn't know he directed Losing My Religion, need to check his other works too.

When  it comes to MV directors, Anton Corbijn is my favorite.

I would say The Shining is my favorite Kubrick work. I really enjoyed the twist end. I do feel bad for Shelley Duvall though since I read that Kubrick tortured her to get her to react how he wanted to. His method was effective though since I thought her acting was really good. I'll never stop singing praise for David Lynch. I'm super into surrealism as an art form in general so I love anything he does.

Sonme:

I would say The Shining is my favorite Kubrick work. I really enjoyed the twist end. I do feel bad for Shelley Duvall though since I read that Kubrick tortured her to get her to react how he wanted to. His method was effective though since I thought her acting was really good. I'll never stop singing praise for David Lynch. I'm super into surrealism as an art form in general so I love anything he does.

Kubrick is considered as a perfectionist so I'm not surprised. Also totally agree with you about Lynch. He never disappoints. I hope he collaborates with Angelo Badalementi again on his upcoming Netflix project. I have high hopes for it, so fingers crossed. 

Ridley Scott certainly belongs to one of the best 

• Christopher Nolan
  • Martin Scorsese 
  • Stanley Kubrick 
  • Alfred Hitchcock 

Sofia Carmina Coppola