Personally speaking, i wouldn't start with a drama like City Hunter. Even as a veteran it took me a while to get into it and thats even having a small understanding on Koreas political system.

My first drama i watched was branching out of anime - Nodame's Cantabille (Japanese version) which then led to watching Naeil's cantabille. Bitmore on the fluffy side and not everyone cup of tea due to the classical music.
I then went on to watch various other manga based drama such as boys over flowers, you're beautiful, to the beautiful you etc.

A drama with a smaller cast and easier to follow would be better I do however agree that it depends on the types of genre you like. A good start i would say is Master's sun
I recommend Boss & Me 
This is an very cute and funny romantic cinderella drama
I like this much more then all the other drama's above because mostly of them are the leads sometimes so stupid you want to flip the table while this drama is so natural, almost everything is believeble.
The female lead is just too cute and funny in an normal way. If she smiles you have to smile too.
I'm absolutely not into action or political intrigue, but it was City Hunter that got me hooked to k-dramas. I love romance, and it had enough of that to hold my interest. I so think it's a pretty good starter drama, because it has a good mix of genres (therefore can appeal to a wider audience).

Technically my first drama was Hana Yori Dango though, like many other people. I remember finding it addictive but super low-brow and completely ridiculous. I think dramas like that one can be kind of risky though, because many people that aren't introduced to asian culture could be put off by the dynamics of the relationships, that are stereotyped and very different from western ones -- why does holding hands even mean so much? Why are they bickering all the time? Why are they so hung up on a "first love" from their childhood? Do they even kiss, where is the passion, why are they such prudes? Why don't they just talk, and clear the obvious misunderstanding? And the list goes on. Still, I remember being very confused, but enjoying it nonetheless, so it really depends. For me, it was an adventure!

When my friend showed me City Hunter, I was so impressed that a drama could actually have so much quality -- stylish and well written etc. I think City Hunter and dramas that are similar (for example Healer) are actually closer to western movies, so it's less of a shock, and they're suffeciently well-done so that even a person that doesn't have a clue that there's such a thing as asian pop culture, will feel like they're watching something that is sophisticated, and not some obscure show from a strange country :^p
Thanks everyone! Interesting recommendations! Sorry for the late rep! I attempted to reply three times, but the internet plays fool around me and whenever I enter post your reply (after typing a long response each time) it always go 404 and wohoo~ goodbye my long response =/

Sorry for the lack of details!
- We're basically bunch of college girls (19-21) so high school setting is not ideal. Even though we're females, we're not the 'fangirl' type of group, we're pretty particular in the plot more than the 'good looking' cast hehe
- "Unforgettable". We're we'll get emotionally attached to the show
- We like mixing things up, so no really specific genre. But great romance drama is really a priority. (I really love the chemistry in I Miss You, both young & 30's actors)

So far for the romance genre, I like shiu545 (Coffee Prince & Goong), but I have a glmipsed of few episodes when I was younger. Yes, I am unfair creature. But I guess it's really one of the "good ones"in romance genre

Thanks for the recommendation, but I did not like Fated to love you. I did not get heads over heels feeling.
Boys Over Flowers- We've read quite some manga, manhwa, and have watched anime. Arrogant male likes "plain" female was quite usual for us. And we have seen and loved the Tai version of it. But thanks =)

Coffee prince is a good romantic comedy choice for your ages... And Queen In Hyun's Man is another I think your friends might like too.