Hi,

I'm really late to watching Reply 1988, and I regret it because I didn't think it was something I would like. Boy was I so wrong, I love it so much, and here is a comparison that I made between Taek and Jeong Hwan. Just because I was sad how a lot of people said that Taek didn't deserve Deok Seon. I had to make it because I wouldn't be able to sleep otherwise. This may or may not be posted on reddit. Sorry for the long comparison:

What made me liked JH&DS 

1. Team Jeong Hwan in the beginning because of the alley scene where he and Deok Seon were standing closely to each other after being chased by Dong Ryong’s dad. The chemistry was really good. I could feel the tension. Especially with Jeong Hwan since he has already liked her by then. 

2. Then the bus scene when he would push other passengers just to get to Deok Seon (because she was in an uncomfortable position with other boys behind her) just to protect her. He held the railing with his veins popping out to protect her. 

3. Scenes when he would wait for her before school. He would make excuses when she asked him what he was doing. It was really cute and sweet, and as someone who loves romantic guys, that just gave me butterflies. 

4. He would wait her late at night when she said she was going to the study room. When it was raining, he would go to get her with an umbrella. 

5. His happiness when he found out that SW likes BR instead of DS. 

These are basically all that I can remember that JH did that made me ship him with DS

Why I didn’t like JH&DS

1. JH was really mean to DS sometimes. He would tell her that she’s ugly, (tell her she’s stupid?),... Even though that was his way of hiding his love for her. It gets annoying after a while because as viewers, we can know that he likes her. But she doesn’t, so that is really disrespectful in my opinion, and disrespect is what I will not tolerate. In a relationship or even before a relationship, if i were to be disrespected that would be a deal breaker. And telling a girl that she’s ugly is not a way of winning her heart. 

2. I am pretty sure that DS didn’t like JH that much because just like how she started liking SW after her friends tell her that SW like her. I have been there. In high school, I would see people in relationships and wanted the romantic relationships like those in dramas. And when I heard that someone liked me, I started to pay attention to him more. That somehow tricked me into thinking that I like that person, but it was merely an attraction and the urge to be in a relationship. Therefore, liking someone just because they like you is not a good way of keeping a relationship strong. 

3. Things went downhill after Taek told his friends that he likes DS as a woman. JH started to be mean to DS when she was trying to get him to confess. For example, he stopped waiting for her in the morning to go to school together. The girl was disappointed, and then had to wake up early just to go to school with him. 

4. For the concert, he suddenly canceled it on her, and the girl was really disappointed and sad. JH, that was your chance my boy. After the concert when she said that she was cold, he didn’t even give her his jacket. She even told him that he should’ve given her his jacket, he still didn’t make his move to win her heart. 

5. When she gave him his birthday present, he didn’t even wear it. That is a little disappointing, but I can still accept that. However, after all of those times of him avoiding her, he could’ve explained to her when she saw his brother wearing the same shirt as his. He could’ve explained to her, but no. He lost his chance because it was the last straw for her. 

6. With the concert day in 1994 when the cheating guy canceled it on her. He had plenty of time to get to her. After seeing the cheating guy with another girl, he shoud’ve went to her but his hesitation got the best of him. He waited until the middle of the movie to make his move. That was way way to late, and then he blamed the red lights. (You had plenty of time JH). 

7. He confessed his love to her and make it a joke. Now that was painful to watch. I was touched hearing his confession, but he shouldn’t have made it into a joke to embarrass her like that. 

Why I liked TK(Taek)&DS

1. He didn’t miss his chance in showing his love. Even though he was barely on the screen in the first 6 eps, he left no chance of hiding his affection for her. I remember his dad said that if he likes someone, he would be clingy. And that was how he was with DS. He would tell her to do this and that so that she would stay longer with him. 

2. When he sees her, his smiles would get so big regardless of how tired he was. That just shows how much happiness and comfort she brings him. And the way he would sweetly pat her head whenever they meet too. Urgh my heart…

3. He confessed to his friends that he likes DS. This just shows that if he could, he is willing to let the world knows about the person he loves. Although this makes us sympathize with JH because he can’t tell other people or even the girl he loves that he loves her, I think that one should be willing to let others know who his partner is. Idk if JH would do that if JH and DS were to be in a relationship. 

4. When he is exhausted, he would lean his head on her shoulder. Again, see how he feels comfortable with her? Yep, Arghhh my heart. 

5.  He day when he followed her to the restroom. How he witnessed her breakdown after seeing a pervert. While others was complaining about her using the restroom too much, TK quietly followed her to keep her safe. 

6. Their friendship: DS has the urge to protect TK because of how innocent he is in life, while TK allows her and wants her to keep protecting him. The little happiness that they have together is so meaningful. For example, when DR ran away from home to a seaside town, TK and DS would happily eat together in their own world. And when they played with the water happily. They make the little moments meaningful and find happiness in each other is what I love about them. DS and JH don’t have that kind of relationship. They would bicker, and he would say mean words to her. 

7. DS would worry about TK eating his meal and him taking too much medication. And at the end, the older TK would says that the perk of being with DS is that he stopped taking his sleeping pills. 

8. When TK realized that JH also likes DS, he took a step back as well because he cherishes his friendship. He cancelled his plan with DS and waited for her for 5 years before making his moved again. 

9. With the concert scene of her and TK, he got there first. It didn’t show how he knew but he was a minute ahead of JH. JH could’ve made it there way before TK if he had taken actions instead of hesitating. When TK got there, he gave her his jacket because he observed how she only wore little clothes before going to the concert. He gave her his jacket and to not embarrass DS, he said that he was hot. If I remember clearly, when DS claimed that she was cold, JH would make fun of her for wearing so little. 

TK literally deserves DS for me. Even though he wasn’t on screen a lot because of his competitions, Taek still managed to take his chances and create chances for himself to get the girl that he loves. I absolutely respect him regarding that. Although JH isn’t good at expressing himself. He really is a softie on the inside, and I would love to have a friend like him. 

The writer has always meant for the hubby to be Taek from the very beginning. Esp the date on the photograph and how the hubby is left handed just like Taek and many other hints. People are bitter because Junghwan is like the typical kdramas leads and get more screen time with Deoksun so they thought he is the endgame, but they failed to realize that storyline is purposely made that way by the writer. This is because Taek is modelled after a famous real life Go player which is known to lose at the beginning and only kill his opponents ruthlessly at the end. Thats why the writing purposely made it is more Deoksun & Junghwan to misled the audiences. Then after the revelation happened, you will noticed since the beginning how everything has pointed out to Teak to be the hubby. 

Junghwan not getting Deoksun not because of timing but she just didnt have feelings for him anymore. That crush is long gone and she's had move on. Having a favorite is fine but dont let it clouded your judgement and you ended up misinterpreting the story to your own wrong narrative.

I really doesnt like Junghwan's character.. he always too much thinking and coward to express his feeling.. he is a good friend..he also very loyal to his friend..but sadly he is not good for himself. To many hesitate in him so no wondering Dukseon end up with Taek..

Do you know what I love about this couple the most? THEY LITERALLY COMPLETE EACH OTHER! The dynamics of their relationship make them need each other's love at all times. They both evolved through one another, learned true love. This is literally the definition of a healthy relationship.

As much as I loved Jung Hwan at first, I can see how toxic their relationship has become in the future.