*Spoilers Ahead*

Just like everyone watching I wanted to understand the motive or intentions of the antagonist too. After the second watch, it just feels like he wanted sense of control and power just like every other psychopath or sociopath. With help of technology and the amount of dependency, victims have on technology, he was able to understand even the tiniest thing. The likes, dislikes, secrets, friends, foes, etc.

He played and manipulated victims, just to exert the power of how he can completely control their lives. Isolating them from loved ones, manipulating them into trusting only him, and in the end killing them once the control game has satisfied them. As he tells her dad, as long as she does not get suspicious of me like you, she will be safe for a while. 

It is a fun play for him, a Semi God like feeling. He thinks of his victims as utter fools. He sees their life and misery as an act of idiocy, he thinks it's stupid that victims are first being completely dependent on a device/tech and second being irresponsible enough to lose it.

I don't know if being an orphan has some role in it. But more often than not, psychopaths and sociopaths have no solid reason to act the way do. It's just the sense of fun and fulfilment they get out of it.

What do you think? Let me know your thoughts. 

There was no motive behind his actions... He was just a psycho and wanted to enjoy watching people's lives getting ruined. The movie tried to show something about smartphones to the audience by using his way to find the people who he will kill, I suppose but yeah... No motive behind his actions.

he hallucinates a dentist 

We don't know his main motive. He may very well have one but  the movie did not explore that area or even attempt to.  There was zero insight on  his criminal  or psychological profile . We barely know anything about the guy, not even his real name,let alone anything that could give us a clue of why he chose the  victims or his preferred  method of killing.

I guess none of that matters for this movie. In my interpretation he is faceless or has no identity on purpose to drive home the idea that in reality it could literally be anybody . Anybody can exploit or abuse technology for sinister reasons.  This show was not about the serial killer  but he was used as a substitute  to showcase the real dangers of technology we are vulnerable to. The serial killer was just a prop and not the real focus. It makes sense he has no motive  if you look at it  from that perspective.

At the end of the film media say that he was a person born but not existing in the list of existing people, in short, a person without a name.
When the policeman took his notes, there he says he wants to become a serial killer by taking the name of his deceased son and blame him.

Does it need to have motivation? Perhaps, the writers intend NOT to humanize him, and not give the audience an ounce of sympathy or an excuse to justify his evil actions.

Not all psychopaths have or need reasons or motives to kill......in other psychopath movies the killer are given a background as they have a troubled childhood or trauma but here the killer is anonymous so the background part is missing and the only reason he stated was that the victim lost their phones and he found them. few days ago i watched another psychological thriller "We Need to Talk About Kevin" kind of same as this one the killer didnt have a reason for the crimes he did and didnt particularly had a troubled past .

I think it was just a matter of "because I can", which is how some psychopaths would think