"The problem is that they are not staying long on the featured tab. Before the news invasion they stayed on the front page for several days, now it's not even a couple hours. So chances to miss them are huge."

If you mean the section at the very top of the main page where three articles get specifically featured, I can't verify this, but I don't think that that is true, at least not for all of the editorials that get featured there. I definitely remember seeing a couple of the editorials move onto and off of that section multiple times.

If you meant the featured section just below it though, that's definitely incorrect. There's currently an editorial up that was posted 9 days ago and has stayed in the featured list the whole time. There's also one that was posted 5 days ago, one from 3 days ago, and one from 2 days ago. And multiple of the other editorials that have been published since I first made this suggestion have stayed up multiple days in the featured list as well. I can't verify exactly how long each of those stayed up, but they definitely weren't being moved off within hours. 

I think what's happening is that the amount of engagement is determining how long the editorials are staying in the featured list. I don't know if that's the case with the news articles as well, since they tend to get way less attention and move off the featured list faster.

"A couple members might have discovered older articles because Shiro started a feeds game especially for this purpose. But you can only feature a couple and not all in feeds posts. https://mydramalist.com/profile/Shirioink/feeds/wYdXmhE"

Thanks for the link!

DramaHeroine:
One last comment for the day. I want to make a request to everyone responding to this post that we all do our best to be civil towards the news writers.

Absolutely agree. I never attacked them personally nor will I ever do that. I just dislike their "work" and speak out about that. 

DramaHeroine:
We also don’t know how news articles are handled on the backend, who is responsible for what decisions, and at the end of the day, they are still people like us.

We know a bit. News articles are NOT checked by editors. They go directly to the admins and get published. That has been clarified by the editors themselves

SelmaS:
I remember those monthly Noodle Cart articles featuring all these daily news in one place: eaach news took one line! It was perfecly sufficient to keep up with these kinds of news: castings, ratings, births, marriages and deaths..... They should bring that back!

I wish they would do news like this again. One long article per month or twice a month will all relevant news collected. One for each country that is featured on MDL. It would not flood the page and make editorials disappear. Win-win in my opinion. 

For those looking for older articles which are hard to find, here's the link to the page where you can find  a series of Best of.. editorials written by ChoNa. Each editorial lists and links editorials based on topic written between 2012 and 2020.

https://mydramalist.com/profile/ChouNa/articles?page=3

DramaHeroine:
If you mean the section at the very top of the main page where three articles get specifically featured, I can't verify this, but I don't think that that is true, at least not for all of the editorials that get featured there. I definitely remember seeing a couple of the editorials move onto and off of that section multiple times.

I'm speaking from experience. My last realeased article was gone on that featured page after a couple hours and the same happened to other writers who talked about this on their feeds. Cho Na mentioned once that an article of her disappeared once it was published and was not featured at all. Maybe we are talking about different times because I don't mean now as in today but the time before editorials disappeared completely and most writers stopped writing editorials. 

DramaHeroine:
There's currently an editorial up that was posted 9 days ago and has stayed in the featured list the whole time.

Again, I'm not talking about right now. But maybe that's the whole problem. I don't consider the editorials "back" just because a bunch that has been waiting in limbo, for who knows how long, has been released lately. Also it would be nice if we get an official explanation why editorials "vanished" just like that. We can only assume and guess about reasons since the admins don't say anything about it.  

Another thing that I found was, if you go to the drama page of Guardian (2018) there was always my Fan Guide about one of the main lead actors Zhu Yi Long featured there. The last time I checked it was news articles completely unrelated to the drama. Now it's editorials again. 

"We know a bit. News articles are NOT checked by editors. They go directly to the admins and get published. That has been clarified by the editors themselves."

Ugh. That actually confirms some things for me. Namely, why the grammar in the news articles is sometimes weak. I'm perfectly fine with grammar not being as strong in the Editorials, because the writers are volunteers, and many speak English as a second language. But if you are being paid to write something, your grammar should be strong.

SelmaS:I remember those monthly Noodle Cart articles featuring all these daily news in one place: eaach news took one line! It was perfecly sufficient to keep up with these kinds of news: castings, ratings, births, marriages and deaths..... They should bring that back!

"I wish they would do news like this again. One long article per month or twice a month will all relevant news collected. One for each country that is featured on MDL. It would not flood the page and make editorials disappear. Win-win in my opinion."

I would be fine with news articles more often than that, but articles like the Noodle Cart would be a fun way to collate news that people might want to hear about but that isn't really important enough for their own individual articles.

JulyMoon:
I'm speaking from experience. My last realeased article was gone on that featured page after a couple hours and the same happened to other writers who talked about this on their feeds. Cho Na mentioned once that an article of her disappeared once it was published and was not featured at all. Maybe we are talking about different times because I don't mean now as in today but the time before editorials disappeared completely and most writers stopped writing editorials. 

Ah, okay. I was talking about since I posted this suggestion, and they started putting editorials in the featured section.

JulyMoon:
Again, I'm not talking about right now. But maybe that's the whole problem. I don't consider the editorials "back" just because a bunch that has been waiting in limbo, for who knows how long, has been released lately. Also it would be nice if we get an official explanation why editorials "vanished" just like that. We can only assume and guess about reasons since the admins don't say anything about it.  

That's fair, and I totally agree. The fact that they won't actually address it at all and explain what is going on is a problem, and it definitely makes me suspicious. 

DramaHeroine:
Ugh. That actually confirms some things for me. Namely, why the grammar in the news articles is sometimes weak. I'm perfectly fine with grammar not being as strong in the Editorials, because the writers are volunteers, and many speak English as a second language. But if you are being paid to write something, your grammar should be strong.

The bad grammar raised some questions and if I remember correctly it was devitto (editor) who explained that they are not checking news articles and that news basically take a completely different route than "normal" articles do. This info should still be somewhere in the MDL Writers Thread. 

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/community-tasks/29624-mdl-writers-article-ideas-discussion?pid=1986439&page=110#p1986439

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/community-tasks/29624-mdl-writers-article-ideas-discussion?pid=1894627&page=100#p1894627 (I kow this post is from 2021, but as far as I know nothing changed since then) 

No writer on MDL gets paid, it's all volunteer work. 

DramaHeroine:
I would be fine with news articles more often than that

I'm not agreeing to this just because I fear this would ultimately end in flooding the article section with news only. If K-Drama news already bury editorials what would daily/weekly news articles for ALL the featured countries on MDL do. >_< That's why I prefer two separate spaces for editorials and news. 

DramaHeroine:
That's fair, and I totally agree. The fact that they won't actually address it at all and explain what is going on is a problem, and it definitely makes me suspicious. 

Same and it annoys me to be honest. I mean admins are online and reading our comments here and there. For example they immediately reacted to this user here: https://mydramalist.com/discussions/support/122509-account-under-review

But they don't reply to an issue that is going on for 2-3 years?! What else can we think that they don't react to this on purpose? It's the same with the endless discussion why LGTBQ+ themed articles don't get published. If a LGTBQ+ drama is mentioned along with straight romance dramas it's fine, but if an article is entirely about gay romance it doesn't get published and is "against the rules". People blamed editors for this, but again it's higher ups who made those rules and never told us why. 

I wish I knew what's going on, because I don't understand their motives. 

JulyMoon:
No writer on MDL gets paid, it's all volunteer work. 

Oh, I was under the impression that the news writers were paid. Could have sworn I read it somewhere from an editor or admin or someone.

JulyMoon:
I'm not agreeing to this just because I fear this would ultimately end in flooding the article section with news only. If K-Drama news already bury editorials what would daily/weekly news articles for ALL the featured countries on MDL do. >_< That's why I prefer two separate spaces for editorials and news. 

I feel like it wouldn't necessarily be an issue if they stopped publishing certain types of new articles, ie. the constant articles about such-and-such considering/accepting/turning down roles, the endless scandal/gossip articles, etc. These articles seem to make up the bulk of news that gets published. If they eliminated all of that or at least consolidated them into the Noodle Cart style articles, I feel like that would make a huge difference.

DramaHeroine:
Oh, I was under the impression that the news writers were paid. Could have sworn I read it somewhere from an editor or admin or someone.

If that's true, then it's even worse. Like you said, if they get paid we can expect quality and sorry, but news articles are everything but not of high quality. xD

DramaHeroine:
the constant articles about such-and-such considering/accepting/turning down roles, the endless scandal/gossip articles, etc. These articles seem to make up the bulk of news that gets published.

Yeah, that's the issue I have with them. I'm not against relevant news articles but this stupid gossip and rumor spreading or actors considering/turning down/accepting roles and new poster for dramas is so pointless. 

JulyMoon:
If that's true, then it's even worse. Like you said, if they get paid we can expect quality and sorry, but news articles are everything but not of high quality. xD

I could be totally wrong and pulling that out of nowhere. I just could have sworn that was the case.

DramaHeroine:

I could be totally wrong and pulling that out of nowhere. I just could have sworn that was the case.

I never heard of it. I just read somewhere that the news writers got chosen by admins, as in you could apply and admins choose and give them the okay. 

JulyMoon:

So I contacted, about 4 months ago via DM the three news writers lo_ve, Hazel and Lily Alice who was the only one kind enough to answer telling me she was just doing her job writing these articles and if we were not happy we should contact Moderators!

If it is a job she is most certainly getting paid for it!

SelmaS:

So I contacted, about 4 months ago via DM the three news writers lo_ve, Hazel and Lily Alice who was the only one kind enough to answer telling me she was just doing her job writing these articles and if we were not happy we should contact Moderators!

If it is a job she is most certainly getting paid for it!

This feels like an insult to me. I don't care if I'm being paid for writing editorials because I like writing, but if people like lo_ve who was super rude to editorials writers gets paid for doing such a sh**** job, it's just making me feel sick. 

On a side note, I have nothing against Lily Alice. Her news articles are the best in quality among them in my opinion.