Netflix has produced several series/movies that have contributed Eastern culture exposure to a lot of Western countries around the world. Because of that, Eastern Netflix branches have been able to produce more great stories with quality production.

Maybe some will agree with me here when I say that a lot of the shows produced by Netflix are of great quality and even greater storytelling and maybe there are some people, like me, that want to watch more Netflix Original shows but just don't know where to look, what to search or even where to find it. With Netflix's VAST media library it can be hard to discover series/movies by using Netflix's general/vague genre tags or "Korean" "Chinese" "Asian movies" etc., or even rely on their recommendation suggestions without starting a marathon of thumbs up/down ratings on everything you've previously watched.

I think it might be a good idea to add a "Netflix Original" tag to help narrow down series/movies produced by Netflix on Netflix to help find or discover those hidden gems better on Dramalist so we can all watch more great dramas and movies. 

I wanted to put this suggestion in because I found a hidden gem of a show that I am enjoying a lot but it took me well over a year to find the needle in the haystack on Netflix and it wasn't exactly easy. I only happened on it by chance through a "More like this" but it was still difficult to find. What I often do is funnel through the "more like this" tab suggestions. I'd click on it on a drama that I do like and have watched and then click on "more like this" tab and click on a show (let's call it Show A) that seems interesting and read what it's about but it doesn't capture my interest. Then I click on "more like this" tab on Show A and see what they suggest and click on another show that seems interesting (Show B) and read what's it's about but again not interested. Then I click on "more like this" tab on Show B to see their suggestions and click on Show C and so on and so on UNTIL I found the hidden gem that I'm enjoying now. But I think lots of people will agree that this is pretty hard way to find something good to watch on Netflix's platform. 

0votes

https://mydramalist.com/search?adv=titles&ty=68,77,83,86&sr=5&so=relevance

I'm not sure if this is what you meant but by searching Netflix as service,  you can get all the Netflix series tho...

The real issue is that the "Original Network" field isn't properly used on MDL. There's an "abuse" of it that puts OTT platforms, like Netflix as Original Network for all kind of dramas, regardless of if they truly are originals of said network.

Quick example: https://mydramalist.com/52939-can-this-person-be-translated

Alchemy of Souls, MDL original network: Netflix & tvN. Nope, tvN is the only original network, it's not a Netflix Original, but a Netflix Exclusive. Yes that's different. Originals are dramas (co)produced for a network who will retain the rights, while Exclusives are dramas bought by another network to broadcast them exclusively for a limited amount of time. In this case, that's a tvN drama for which Netflix has bought worldwide exclusive rights. It doesn't help that Netflix actively dupes customers by labeling its exclusives as "Netflix Series" and putting a custom intro, passing them as its own while merely buying them.

So, back to MDL, apart from being wrong, what's the issue? Well, Netflix Originals (the ones OP is talking about) and Netflix Exclusives are mixed together in the search, with no way whatsoever to find only true Netflix Originals apart from redlisting all other networks.

This can be fixed very quickly and simply, just don't use Netflix as an Original Network for Netflix Exclusives unless it's a Netflix Original. Unfortunately, there's currently a bug that prevents removing a network if it's alone in the edit field.

Unrelated to Netflix but related to the subject, people also confuse TVING and tvN: all tvN dramas are on TVING, but not all TVING dramas are on tvN. For some reason, most if not all TVING dramas are tagged as tvN on MDL, which is wrong.

For reference for Korea, Netflix Originals + Netflix Exclusives:

https://mydramalist.com/search?adv=titles&ty=68&co=3&nt=128&sr=-265,-291,-293,-21&so=date

Netflix Originals only: 

https://mydramalist.com/search?adv=titles&ty=68&co=3&nt=-2,-3,-4,-6,-33,-37,-81,128,-51&so=date&page=3