We know that the vast majority of MDL users are women. For men this means that they have to wade through pages and pages of highly rated crappy romance dramas and movies in order to find the occasional gem with great acting and a substantial plot. 

For example, the Chinese movie section ranks completely irrelevant trash like First Time, My Love, My Best Summer higher than the seminal film To Live (1994), which is widely considered to be among the best Asian movies of all times.

Allowing to filter rankings by the gender of the person who rated the film or drama would probably be an eye-opening experience. Men would suddenly be able to see what other men liked. Women could more easily find the fluffy romance stuff that appeals to the feminine instincts. The overall usefulness of MDL would be greatly improved.

0votes

A list based on male ratings might be interested, but until that happens, you can find some better lists on other websites.

For dramas I suggest looking at Douban ratings.  Douban has a better mix of men and women, and I think the ratings are more reliable than MDL ratings.  Here's a list of the top rated Chinese dramas that are available with English subtitles: https://www.douban.com/doulist/130885613/

And here are some good lists for Chinese movies:

Golden Horse's 100 Greatest Chinese-Language Films (voted by 122 film professionals)

Time Out Shanghai's 100 Best Mainland Chinese Films (voted by 88 film professionals, critics, and academics)

Fan Movie Spirit Awards's Top 21st Century Chinese Language Films (voted by 239 film professionals, scholars, and critics)

iCM Forum's favorite Chinese movies, including Hong Kong, Taiwan, Tibet and Macao (voted by 44 members of a movie forum)

the very 1st que is how can you differentiate between male and female or any gender cause people's profile info is 80 % wrong? they are not using their real name. real location, real gender, etc so based on the gender filter I think it's difficult or impossible .  to make it possible they need authentic data of users.