4/26/24 Update:  I posted this theory almost three weeks ago.  As of Episode 14 Uncle Beom Seok has been getting more mention and no one should be surprised if he will attend the upcoming shareholder meeting (the one that Eun Seong skipped out on to travel to Germany).  My theory may be crazy and totally de-bunked in Episodes 15 and 16 but I do hope we get some answers regarding Mad Moh's  targeted the Hong family (not just Queens Group but The Family) for over 30 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For several weeks many of us have wondered who Eun Seong’s father might be and Grandfather and Uncle Hong Beom Seok are likely candidates – but there is zero evidence thus far on “who’s the dad” – it’s all speculation.  Plus the ewwwww factor with Hae-in is just too gross to contemplate.  So, perhaps the viewer will never know and it doesn't matter.  

However, if any character in this drama is Eun Seong’s father, I think the theory that fits best is that indeed, it is Uncle - but he doesn’t know it. Under this theory, Madwoman Moh (and she IS Mad as a Hatter) considers her son to be the rightful heir (the eldest son’s child), schemes to make it happen, and used Uncle to gain access to the Hong family.  Eventually, she schemed to remove Uncle from the family and remove other potential heirs that might compete for the top position.  In Episode 8 (and this was my epiphany) she said “we are just changing the order of things” – as if the proper order would have been that the eldest son (Eun Seung)  of the eldest son (Uncle)  deserved to be the designated heir and “sit on the throne”.  Added:  In Ep. 12:  “Being the chairman is not enough.  It's my goal to make everything yours.”  Here are the (i) facts as we know them, (ii)the Body Count thus far and (iii)my crazy theory - this isn't even a prediction, it's just how I put the puzzle pieces together as of Ep. 10;  it could all be dust after this weekend.  (theory part is italicized):

1989-1990:  Oh Sun Yeong (OSY) becomes pregnant, is charged with adultery, and imprisoned. She was 30 years old and believes “it’s easy for me to look glamorous”.  Uncle Hong Beom Seok (HBS) was in his mid-’20s and was the CEO of Queens Distribution, which means he likely frequently traveled through the country.  They had an affair or fling.  HBS is unaware of the imprisonment or pregnancy; it’s also possible he entered the military around that time.

Aug. 8, 1990: OSY gives birth to her son that we now know as Yoon Eun Seong (YES). Baby is sent to Evergreen Hope Orphanage – birth name unknown.

No later than Oct 1993: OSY released from prison; She is declared dead (death certificate dated October 14, 1993 – a death certificate means there is a body).  Body Count: One

Unknown date: OSY takes on identity of Moh Seul Hee (MSH) aka Madwoman Moh or Mad Moh.

~1993 (“30”  years ago): MSH begins her plot to “change the order of things.” She becomes associated with the Hong family and, at some point, the Queens Scholarship Fund

HBS helps her to get a job with the Hong household and eventually the Queens Scholarship Fund. The #1 missing piece in this theory is WHY would HBS help her?  If this theory is true (a BIG IF) he must have known who she was – did he feel sorry for her? Help her change her identification?  This is the one missing piece of information that would help confirm whether he had a past relationship with her and therefor could be Eun-seong’s father.

1999 (When Hae-in was nine years old):  At a FAMILY vacation, Hong Soo Won dies in a mysterious boat accident.  [speculation: Both Mad Moh and HBS were there;  Also Hyun Woo was there and perhaps Eun Seong] NO LONGER SPECULATION  Mad Moh, Eun-seong and Hyun Woo were there; HBS was probably there.   Suspect Body Count: Two

July 1, 2000:  Members of the Hong family (Gramps, Hae-in and Soo-cheol) and Mad Moh visited the Evergreen Hope Orphanage. Uncle HBS was also there in the scene where Hae-in was chased by the dog.

MISSING FLASHBACK (I believe it will happen): For some reason, young Eun Seong appears to  have poisoned a dog Body Count: Three; Mad Moh decides to send YES to the US. 

2001/2002:  YES is adopted by a US/Korean family who were not rich but soon thereafter moved to a bigger house and Eun Seong was enrolled in an expensive private school ($60K/year). Mad Moh either embezzled $$ from the scholarship fund or she persuaded/black-mailed HBS to pay.

2003/2004 ("20" years ago): Grandmother Yang Mi-suk died of a heart attack. Body Count: Four. While Gramps was in prison, HBS “heard” that Grandfather was planning to frame him for embezzlement and attempted to take over Queens Group.  As a result Uncle was expelled from the family and Queens Group.  Now that Grandmother was dead, Mad Moh – already his mistress - was ready to really make her move on Grandfather but needed to get rid of HBS.  Mad Moh was the one who told HBS that Grandfather was planning to frame him, thereby driving a wedge between father and son.

2013 (“10” ten years ago):  The orphanage burns to the ground and the “Director passed away too.” Suspect Body Count: Five.  CONFIRMED: Mad Moh killed the Director.  Grandfather wants to marry Mad Moh, but Beom-ja fights it. I’m not sure why the fire matters since Hyun Woo already figured out the connection between YES and Mad Moh, UNLESS he was in the orphanage under a different name.

2017 (“6” years ago):  In Manhattan New York City, MSH pre-orders a $43K limited edition watch.  Soon thereafter, YES’s adoptive parents die in a car accident and YES graduates from University.  Body Count: Seven CONFIRMED: Mad Moh killed the YES Adoptive Parents.  The watch is a graduation present for her son,  YES.  

2018 – Present:  Hae-in returns to Korea, marries, gets pregnant and loses their baby. Suspect Body Count Eight. Hae-in develops cancer [poisoned?]; Grandfather often sleeps in the middle of the day and is easily manipulated [almost certainly poisoned];  Grandfather is paralyzed and in a coma because Madwoman Moh poisoned him.  Body Count: 8.5 🙁🙁🙁CONFIRMED: Mad Moh killed Grandfather Hong. Suspect Body Count 9

As of Episode 14

CONFIRMED BODY COUNT:  4

SUSPECT Body Count: 5

Please do not hesitate to provide corrections - if I make an error, I try to fix it.  

Very interesting theories, I love your timeline! 

If it is true that HBS is father of YES, that means YES is a member of the family albeit illegitimate. I agree HBS knows something crucial, we really need to know what he knows. It would be wonderful to have a absolute reason, that YES and Hae In cannot ever be together, and a familial link provides that.  Mad Moh also seemed to be shocked, when he announced his intention to marry Hae-In, maybe that is why. 🤔I just don't understand, why HBS would let his former lover be his father's mistress.  She must have something on him...but she is afraid of HBS, as she continually drives a wedge of distrust between him and his fatherM

Maybe the reason the older brother (Hong Soo Won) died, is because he was the main heir - as the eldest grandchild?  Mad Moh would really have to be evil to kill a child...Or he overhead something about YES being his cousin. What do you mean about Hyun woo and Eun Seong being there?   

It was when Moh made the comment about "changing the order of things" that I finally sat down and went back through all of the dates and character history to finally put something in writing.  The idea that HBS might be the father is not new (many wondered back in Episode 3, I believe) but there are still so many questions to be answered to for the puzzle to be complete.  And although, as you note, HBS as father would explain why Moh is against Eun Seong's relationship with Hae-in, the ewwww factor - if true - is going to revolt viewers.  Unless - once YES finds out - he decides to kill his mother.  So, that would be a positive result. 😊😊

Regarding the older brother's death - I've made the point elsewhere.  He died, Hae-in miscarried, Hae-in is now ill and Soo Cheol's son is apparently not a real Hong by blood.  It's not a stretch to believe Mad Moh is behind all of this.  Even if HBS was involved in her schemes previously, I don't think he would support attacks on his family.  Plus, Beom-ja trusts her brother - so I'm counting on the writers to keep her smart and intuitive.  

As for the  mysterious boat accident,  I don't know if Eun Seong was there or not but in the flashback to when he met Hae-in at the orphanage playground, he seemed to take special note of her necklace - which she was wearing at the boat accident , so it may be a hint that he was there and remembered it a year  later. 

As for Hyun Woo,: A photo in his room shows him with schoolmates - all dressed in red.  And in the flashback to the drowning scene, there is a group of young children in red outfits/uniforms on the beach; her brother was wearing white but the rescuer wore something dark.  But the real "evidence" is that when the boar attacked Hae-in , she flashbacked to:  a hand pulling her in the water, a hand extended to her at the highschool and hyun-woo handing her the umbrella.  So, the writers are having a little fun with the viewers but the "miracle" element of this drama is that HW  was born to love and protect her and she was his destiny.  His prayers for  her are part of the "miracle".  Or, so I believe that's what the writers are telling us.  

Wow, so that means it wasn't her brother who saved her, but Hyun Woo!  (Spoiler alert, not YES like he would have her believe) 🤯 I wonder how her brother died, exactly. 

I agree, HBS is not against his family, Mad Moh just has something against him. 

YES is just so obsessed with Hae in, though. Even if he is her cousin, he wouldn't care. The only ending for him is jail or death. 

It definitely seems like poison is a recurring theme. Maybe Hae In's cancer started developing 3 years ago, the radiation/poisoning also causing her to miscarry her child.

Iceofphoenix7:

Wow, so that means it wasn't her brother who saved her, but Hyun Woo!  (Spoiler alert, not YES like he would have her believe) ? I wonder how her brother died, exactly. 

I agree, HBS is not against his family, Mad Moh just has something against him. 

YES is just so obsessed with Hae in, though. Even if he is her cousin, he wouldn't care. The only ending for him is jail or death. 

It definitely seems like poison is a recurring theme. Maybe Hae In's cancer started developing 3 years ago, the radiation/poisoning also causing her to miscarry her child.

She was also apparently in charge of food.  

So, the miscarriage may have been the first - and rather easy - opportunity.  But after that - if indeed she caused the cancer - may have been her long-term plan to ensure there wouldn't be another child.  OR, the cancer may totally natural?  However, she is absolutely and definitely opposed to Eun Seong being with Hae-in, that was even more obvious in today (Ep. 12) episode.  

Kathryn_51:

She was also apparently in charge of food.  

So, the miscarriage may have been the first - and rather easy - opportunity.  But after that - if indeed she caused the cancer - may have been her long-term plan to ensure there wouldn't be another child.  OR, the cancer may totally natural?  However, she is absolutely and definitely opposed to Eun Seong being with Hae-in, that was even more obvious in today (Ep. 12) episode.  

Your timeline is awesome , don't know if it was the chairman or his older son that got mad moh pregnant , but 99% sure he has blood ties with family 

Mad moh doesn't fancy at all his quest to marry Hae In , might be the reason 

We will have the flashback on the boys death ...can't wait for saturday

Super curious about what he wants to tell her 

My theory is that…

Yoon Eunsong’s father was Grandpa Hong’s business partner and Madwoman’s late husband. I have a feeling that Grandpa Hong gained his wealth illegaly, he could have framed Madowman’s husband or something, and he may have died in an accident set up by Grandpa Hong or if not directly responsible then played a major part in it? But before that, Grandpa Hong may have also planted seeds of doubt to his business partner and have his wife imprisoned for adultery. By taking over Queens Group as a sole benefactor without his business partner who could be Madwoman’s late husband puts Grandpa Hong with much more wealth than he could ever have compared to if it was shared with a partner. Madwoman then started to hatch a plan, gave birth to a son, had to give him up. Killed a fellow inmate who may have a lighter punishment and exchanged her identity with hers. Infiltrated the Hong residence and applied as household help with a new name and maybe a new surgically altered face? When Grandpa Hong was in prison, she set the stage for eldest son to be outcasted, death of Grandma Hong and may be also the eldest grandson Hong’s death, supposedly Hae In as the eldest granddaughter as well since both sibling were on the capsized boat. She might have thought that even at a young age the eldest son and daughter already had the potential to lead the company in the future. madwoman did not see Father Hong nor Aunt  Beomja to be much of a threat but Hae In is. So she may have been slowly poisoning her food, hence the miscarriage and her propensity to stress and develop cancer. The right order of things is Eunsong because he was supposed to have the right to inherit the company his supposed late father also co-founded, who may have had a bigger investment or shares than Grandpa Hong did in the past. Think Bill Gates and the founding of Microsoft, he robbed Steve Jobbs of founding the company together and ran away with the software they both had developed. And the reason why Madwoman is so against Eunsong loving Hae In is because if the two were to get married then all her plotting to take away Queens Group from the Hongs would have all been in vain. Because a member of the Hong family is to become a family member through marriage to their own family which defeats the whole purpose of her whole 20 plus years of plotting and playing the villain In taking the company away from the Hongs.

PlayfulK:
y theory is that…

Yoon Eunsong’s father was Grandpa Hong’s business partner and Madwoman’s late husband. I

I just updated my theory.  Your theory also fits into all of the facts that I laid out, but there a couple of small issues (just as there are in my theory)

First, it's pretty clear that Moh didn't have plastic surgery because Auntie Beom-ja instantly recognized her photo from a driver's license which was dated before she went to prison.  [The same issue comes with Uncle Beom-seok.  If he knew her before, he must have known that she had changed her name, even if didn't know about her imprisonment.]

Second, there has been no hint that there was a business partner that Grandfather cheated - in fact, everything said thus far is that he was a self-made man.  Possibly crooked (embezzlement and bribery), but nothing said thus far that he had a former business partner.  

But as a very logical and reasonable theory for her motivation, it absolutely works.  And these small little details won't matter if the writers have planned a makjang (totally out of left field) plot twist that was never hinted at previousy.  Thanks for sharing.

“First, it's pretty clear that Moh didn't have plastic surgery because Auntie Beom-ja instantly recognized her photo from a driver's license which was dated before she went to prison.  [The same issue comes with Uncle Beom-seok.  If he knew her before, he must have known that she had changed her name, even if didn't know about her imprisonment.”

- Thanks for pointing this out, I certainly overlooked and forgot about Aunt Beomja and Conan finding her old driver’s license. 

“Second, there has been no hint that there was a business partner that Grandfather cheated - in fact, everything said thus far is that he was a self-made man.  Possibly crooked (embezzlement and bribery), but nothing said thus far that he had a former business partner.”

- You are right there was no hint of a business partner. I am just trying to make sense why a woman is so hell-bent on devising a twenty plus revenge plot against an uber rich family.

Thank you for sharing your theories and for your reply.