Birth of a Beauty (2014) poster

Shey_wick
Jul 14, 2019
A story that keeps you interested from start to finish accompanied with good life lessons. The main female lead is beautiful and carried her role well. The main male lead is handsome and manly. The main villains are hateful like they should be. The rest of the cast did an awesome job too. The main leads are comfortable with each other and there's a lot of funny scenes and camaraderie. It's easy to root for them. Although the passionate scenes are lacking since they only kissed once. Okay, okay, guilty as charged, since I like more than one kissing scene. Two or three kisses for the whole series would have been fine and it didn't have to be heavy. Anyways, they had lots of affectionate moments like holding hands and hugging. So, I will just have to accept that. This is definitely included in my top 10 most-liked drama. The evildoers were caught and justice was served hot and juicy. Yay!

PastelRose
Apr 20, 2018
Story: 10.0
The storyline was one, I’ve seen before involving the plastic surgery to become beautiful. But the murder thrown on top was just the perfect touch for me. I know some people didn’t enjoy how long it lasted but I quite enjoyed the added the suspension at the end. If they had tried to end it 16 episodes it would have ended in a blur without a full follow up on some questions, so 21 episodes was a good length.
One thing I enjoyed about this drama was the two themes that played out. That truth will win out in the day, and that actions have consequences. For me, those are something I always remember, and I really do enjoy it, when dramas actually show it.
Also I liked that they didn’t really take Plastic Surgery with such a faint heart. Yes she had it, but she suffered consequences from it. They weren’t exactly completely against it, but it was more, of a way of warning that you shouldn’t chose plastic surgery just become pretty.

Acting/Casting: 9.0
For me, the acting was great and I thought the casting decision was spot on. I felt like the main actresses acting could have been a tad more realistic, during a couple of her crying scenes, more towards the beginning than at the end. It hadn’t felt like she was fully developed in her character during those moments, but it improved as the drama went on. The seriousness that she brought to Sara tied with the old sa Geum-ran’s character traits really was very delightful to watch. The reason I was pulled into this drama though, was because of the acting of the supporting role, yet a crucial one of Hae Jae-sook, she played the first Sa Geum Ran, and she fit perfectly in a way that wasn’t so over the top. it had that despesperation that the character needed. She as was so wonderful, had me in tears.
I always give props to the villain of the group, because if you can make me dislike you so much, you did a wonderful job. Wan Ji-hye did a fantastic job as Gyo Chae-yeon, I couldn’t have asked for a better main antagonist.
Everyone did a wonderful job in acting out their own characters, and I also did enjoy the lead male, but the woman in this show for me outshined in a way that made it enjoyable.

Music: 9.0
I loved the music. It felt really fitting for this drama. I always teared up when I heard Jonghyun’s voice come in for the main theme. His voice was very fitting for this drama. The music never once took me out of the story plot, but I’m always unsure about music because it’s not exactly my forte.

Rewatch Value: 3.0
Though I enjoyed the storyline the first time, watching a second time would probably bore me since I know what is going to happen. I think this is a good drama to watch once, and maybe come back to again after a couple of years to rewatch it, once the storylines becomes a little faded. But as I always say, rewatch value is always up to you!

HJ-A
Dec 12, 2018
The show starts of on the wrong foot. Sa Geum-ran, our main lead is fat.

That's it. She's fat. Point and laugh at her because apparently that means she doesn't even deserves to live.

Like Cinderella she has mother-in-law with two daughters who's whole reason for existing at all is to make her life miserable and treat her like a slave.

Via plastic surgery she transforms herself into a beauty and decides to get revenge on those that have wronged her.

The first 4 episodes try to hammer in the cinderella story. Thankfully they go easy on the fat shaming after the very episode but it's still there making it almost childish at some point... after that however it tries to be a Count de monte cristo tale but the plot's tone is a bit muddled going back and forth between the previous childish tone and the super serious Drama tone.

The actors carry this through and the music score is perfection saving it. I did feel it was padding itself to reach 21 episodes when we had a perfect ending at episode 12 or 13. It didn't need to be this long so although I did enjoy it and got invested in the characters I won't be re-watching this again any time soon.

Edenie
May 17, 2019
Like many others, when I came upon this drama, I've thought it would be just another drama, where being beautiful will get you everything. And I was surprised when I finished it, it became one of my top 20 dramas!

OST-
Music wasn't that memorable, nor anything special. I easily forgot it, although the opening music was catchy.

ACTING-
I really liked main actors acting, he had to have a straight face when saying something dumb and it made it even funnier. Main actress's acting wasn't bad, but I feel like she could've done a better job, whatever it was her or just the writing. The only actor I liked was the villain or her ex husband. He portrayed the slyness well, and the cowardness. It's kinda sad that in dramas I've watched with him, he's always the bad guy, but it suits him well.

PLOT-
The plot is good. The main character goes through hard trials, having to know the man you adored ** (this is a major spoiler, so I'll just say betrayed you) that your mother is treated like dirt and that all you had left was snatched. At first I hated her foolish self, but after couple of episodes, she realizes herself she was a fool. Her growth is what I like, as well as male leads. He on somehow the same level has to deal with a woman he loved marrying other and even being a accomplice to a **(let's just say - betrayal) . The show later on helps you realize that beauty doesn't bring you happiness, nor genuine love. That your fated one, will love you for you than for your body.

seoul-not-soul
Nov 6, 2019
This was the first drama that made me fall into the big hole of dramas back in 2012.
I remember how much time I've spent by watching it at the time.
The story is still more for public adult, not for strange scenes but because isn't a teen drama.
This one has a really difficult story at the beginning, but slowly fades into something really more simple based on action, twist, families problems and much more! In 2012 this kind of story was new if compard to dramas like Boys Over Flowers and similar.
Really liked it and still have a favorite spot into my heart!!

Lisa Idah Lungu
Nov 13, 2016
i was thinking twice before watching this,but i have to say its really good the casting was perfect ,am so inlove with the soundtrack it fit every scene perfectly would ask for more ,maybe there were a few things they might have changed in regards the characters reactions overall am happy
kyoko_chan
Jan 14, 2015
Drama meraviglioso dall'inizio alla fine. Il mio preferito del 2014! Consigliatissimo!!
Junaidy Junnay
Jun 12, 2018
What episode san geum ran mother know who is sara? Please help me... I cant find that scene..?I already find but at episode 15 sara mother already know that sara is her daughter..im confuse and its not comfortable for me to continue to watch others episodes.. Hope some help me. Sorry for my bad english.
What episode san geum ran mother know who is sara? Please help me... I cant find that scene..?I already find but at episode 15 sara mother already know that sara is her daughter.im confuse and its not comfortable for me to continue to watch others episodes.. Hope some help me. Sorry for my bad english.
I have to spam this question. Sory for that.

duckie5464
Oct 7, 2015
Started off great. The chemistry between the two leads was fantastic. It was also light hearted and hilarious. Loved the OST. Unfortunately, it was difficult to finish it towards the end. Still watchable though.
Cassie
Jul 20, 2017
Je n'ai pas vraiment aimé. Honnêtement, je me demande encore comment je suis arrivée au bout. Je me suis ennuyée tout du long et je n'ai eu aucune sympathie ou antipathie envers les personnages...

Mon avis complet ici : https://reviewmydrama.blogspot.fr/2017/07/review-birth-of-beauty.html
Crisl
Sep 29, 2019
"Рождение красавицы" самая глупая дорама уходящего года, но смотрится на редкость прикольно. Тупизна сюжетных ходов искупается абсолютным раздолбайством актеров, которые похоже в полном ахуе от того, что им приходится говорить и играть, и поэтому просто развлекаются по полной. И поэтому смотреть на этот абсурд почти всегда весело.