A Violent Prosecutor

HAMEX
Jun 11, 2016
A predictable and fun movie. Typical comedy-detective (common plot and happy ending), I wonder if this genre combination is a hit in Korea, considering Veteran and Accidental Detective are popular before Violent Prosecutor.

Seems like this movie purposely doesn't give its viewer a chance to guess or some curiosity feelings who is the bad guy or how the case will be solved. Because they already told who is the bad guy from the start of the movie, what's the motive and what's the crucial point of the main case. It's a fast pace story at the beginning, this movie is more focused on Byun Jae-wook's life in prison while he also attempt to prove his innocent. It's kinda reminds me of Prison Break or Shawshank Redemption, but it's not as serious as them. This movie shows how rotten prison system and attorney because of corruption and politic. Typical right? haha.

Byun Jae-wook was portrayed as a genius prosecutor so he can handle how harsh prison life is easily. Such as how he manipulate warden, prison officials and all the residents, how to smuggle forbidden stuff from outside prison and so on. Soon he became the ruler in the prison who was followed by all the prison residents. Han Chi Won is a smart swindler, typical a free kid (actually his character reminds me of Jung Joon Young tho). They were met in prison and dealt to work together with mutual advantages by combining their skill. A duo combination of heroes is not a new thing, but their journey is fun to be followed in this movie. The comedy is not exaggerate, but still can make you smile sometimes. The action was also just fine. But there is no remarkable character here despite the cast line were so good.

I like this movie tho, because it's harmless, the story was delivered well and clear, 100% happy ending, smart and strong main leads. A good choice to be watched with your family.

Psychosinner
Feb 11, 2019
Meh movie. Meh action, meh main leads, just meh. Look we watch gangster movies for the edgy noir feel and for messed up stories and great action. When we get a good helping of all that we don't mind the overuse of tropes or the flimsy plot. But gangster movies are interesting because of the main leads, Friends, For the Emperor, Tazza, Cruel City all have interesting leads and great character development but this one the main leads are so one dimensional. Anyway it didn't work for me. I found it boring but kept watching because sometimes movies get better later on but not this one

Thy_Le
Sep 21, 2018
I have watched tons of k-dramas and films but was sort of lazy to write review, but THIS, this movie made me wirte my very first review eventually. I can't believe I get to see my favorite actors in one frame (Hwang Jung-min, Kang Dong-won, Park Sung-woong, Lee Sung-min and more!). I was quite surprised how I was able to recognize almost faces in this movies lol
I said this movie was cliche-ridden because it actually had familiar narratives for a crime/suspense movie. No remarkable plot twists and the story line was rather predictable. However, the conflicts and resolutions were developed gradually so the movie ended up satisfying, which didn't leave me a confusing 'eh?' at the end like some crime movies did.
BUT I promise you, the movie will be so entertaining that you wouldn't be able to pause halfway, because I couldn't too. This was thanks to the outstanding performance of the main cast and especially, the chemistry between Byun Jae-wook and Chi-won. Seriously, I lost count how many time I had to squeal because of their chemistry. Kang Dong-won exceptionally portrait a scammer (of course, partly thanks to his good-looking) since he used bunch of facial expression and intonation. And I praise the scriptwriter here as it was for the script that characterized the scammer. As for Hwang Jung-min, his role in this film did not stand out like his other previous roles, but still, he proved how top-star he is. A little bit about Lee Sung-min, this was my first time seeing him play an antagonist, so I found it quite interesting, and also he did a great job.
Another star for BGM. There was just instrumental music, nothing big, but I can see it did add a lot to the atmosphere.
So wrap it up and go watch it, guys!

Hasumi17