The Starry Night, The Starry Sea (2017) poster

My 2017 Chinese Dramas
Fantasy

AnanyaS
Mar 9, 2017
Some dramas just click with you. It doesn't even have to have a spectacular cast or an intriguing storyline (both of which, it had). I don't normally watch C-dramas, but the reason I ventured into this was because I'm a big fan of fantasy dramas and the plot looked interesting. I wasn't expecting anything, but boy, was I surprised. It was love at first sight for me. I was hooked from the first episode. I'll try to explain why-
For fantasy drama lovers like me, the premise of the drama is interesting. It is by no means, unique, but nevertheless exciting to see. It was one of the dramas I looked forward to every week. And I'm glad to say I really really enjoy it (well 98% of it anyway, for the remaining 2% I wanted to find the screenwriter and kill him/ her, lol)
Despite it not being unique, the drama was able to elicit the right emotions from me, which truthfully, only very few dramas are able to do. I loved the hero, I hated the villain- it was just the way it's supposed to be.
I specially liked Wu Julan's character. FSF did such a wonderful job in portraying him. He's definitely not just another beautiful face! And the way he would smile (although it happened rarely)...*swoon*
The main couple was adorable. I was so so much invested in them. The way they slowly but steadily grew closer. I loved every minute of their screen time! Even the secondary couple had me intrigued to see how their story would unfold.
The female lead's acting was a bit awkward at times, specially in crying scenes, but I grew used to it with each progression of episode.
All in all, I enjoyed this drama very much. The ending was a bit disappointing (to say the least), but I enjoyed the remaining so much, I can't really hate the drama for it.
The OST of this drama was also really good, specially the ED song 'Echo'.
Do give this a try!

txdramafan73
Mar 16, 2017
So, I started watching this drama because the story line caught my eye. Wile not original it seemed interesting and I really like FSF as an actor.

The main couple was cute altho the main female character got on my nerves with her over the top silliness. I liked FSF character but he played him very straight and I would have liked to see a little more range of emotions.

All in all I made it thru the 32 episodes rather ok, and then wanted to kill every writer who worked on the show when I saw the ending - just ARGH.
Huruhi
Jan 14, 2018
People may be afraid of watching this drama because of the genre "tragedy" But the drama is also a comedy and romance. It deserves to be watched.
I gave 9.5/10 on the story because All the tragic love's drama are always  the same, same plot, same complicated love, but The Starry Night, The Starry Sea has such a deep and interesting  dilema !

First of all, I didn't get bored at all while watching the drama. I found the acting not bad, the storyline was cool. Action's scenes were well done.
The drama was full of emotions, not only painfull ones , surprise, betrayal, happiness !

The love story was one of the deepest drama love story ! The main characters didn't need to talk we could see on their eyes that they love each other, they will always love each other.
I'm happy , watching this drama made me discover another type of love, friendship, not the cheesy kind, it was strong from the start !

ABOUT THE END ! It's not a secret that tragedy's drama don't have a happy ending. That's why I could not watch this drama 3 times, but I could watch it twice, despite the end I trully like everything, I only have good memories of this drama. The end is just 1 episode on 32, so I cannot hate the drama because of that. Yes the end is very important since it closes the drama but it's not everything, So to people who are afraid to watch it because of the tragedy, do not care about it, just watch it for the story, the love story, the friendship story.

I'll say it again... from this drama, I only have good memories !

Hana
Mar 31, 2017
the story is very nice....I was a bit uncomfortable with the actress in the beginning but I got used to her...overall very beautiful love story!!! great OST.
lishy tuadles
May 30, 2018
I found this drama while scanning in my youtube.. it was so captavating that I watched it... a mermaid story such a wonderful thing to watch.. the production is good. The costume of a merman is really brilliant I could not see it as fake and the magic looks like real to me. The actors are pretty but what bothers me is the girl main cast.. her acting is so overly executed which is not appropriate.. because of that the awkwardness really seen especially when they hug... she is beautiful but she is not fit in the story.. I dont know if they intentionally cast her because thats the story but I guess she is not a brilliant actress... and then the main actor he is so stiff that he could not move an inch... I know he is the prroducer but is this really needed in a story?? The one who capture my eye is the bestfriend of that silly girl, the doctor... I think he can act really.. he is better than them..

There are differences in Cdrama to other foreign draama.. in Cdrama I dont feel anything except for cuteness of their casts.. maybe more workshop is needed for their actors...

But I still continue to watch othher Cdrama maybe I could find a nice story with appropriate actors.. just saying...

Oh I have seen the season 2 of this but I dint pursue instead I go right to the end... hahaha I feel bored that's why....no offense!! Hehehe

hippie
Jun 10, 2019
not high quality, but the most important: end so ugly bad ????

the acting is quite poor, but that could be ok if the end would not be so desastrous

for little story, when you begin to guess the worse:

at ep31 the mermaid said to granny he want is love inherit all cause he dont want her to continue working hard

but at ep32 granny say the inherit will go to charity

just wtf?

at the end the both die in suffer (failing mutually to save the other)

after all the blabla about love is life meaning, just... wtf?
Foxtail
Feb 15, 2018
Wow! Totally love this one!

This is the best drama I've seen so far among the 200 dramas I've seen so far. This one really left me in tears. The story line is amazing and it doens't get to confusing and the characters doesn't get either too brave or too helpless. It holds an almost perfect balans.
I don't really like when there are to many flashbacks but here it is good.  The music is fantastic also.
I literally don't have words for how much Ioved watching this. I would watch it over and over without getting tired of the story. And the ending, wow, just saying!
I should recomnd this to anyone who likes fantasy and romance . I never thought that I would like stories with mermaids and merman but as you see it doesn't matter what kind of creatures there is in the story as long as the story is amazingly good you would likely like the magical creatures in it.

If you liked this one I am sure that you also would like "The legend of the blue sea" which is alos an amazing drama with just as good actors and story, I can even say that the music is even better there.

paredessttDR
Sep 4, 2018
I came across this drama a while back and decided to finally watch it. First let me say, I m form NYC and was so happy to see an Asian DramaFever start out with a scene form NYC by the east river below the Brooklyn Bridge. Got to see Center Park, Columbus Circle, The freedom Tower, Chelsea St, and the famous hotel across center park. The starry night starry beach area was breath taking, the cast was ok, except for the merman , he is a great actor, saw him in Ice Fantasy. The plot was good , but to long , adding to much stuff which could have been done for the Romance between the To leads. I was a bit disappointed with the ending, hoping perhaps it would continue with them both, but no. Over all, was a good watch.

joyfuloctopus
Aug 19, 2019
The story was enjoyable to watch unfold. I was hooked from the beginning. It was interesting to see how the characters developed and changed through the experience.

Much of the character development seemed a bit predictable, but it was still very engaging to watch. Some of the acting was a little difficult to watch, as it felt a bit overdone in some places.

The music was pleasing and the suspense of the show was well done.

I would definitely insist on watching this show, and the "part 2" prequel, as the storylines are fantastic and worth watching every moment of.

Victorya Ong
Mar 22, 2017
so amazing and i hope the next film more interesting make ours curious about the film.
KPOPKAY
Apr 14, 2017
There aren't many dramas that intrigue you immediately. The moment I watched this I was very into it and I didn't expect that Feng William was acting in it (LOL). He's reallllly handsome and he portrayed his character very well and I love the actress she was cute and love her personality that fit with him.
I love the ost and the theme song was really good..the voice!... the lyrics that caught me were "..even if love is a dream, we won't mention the sadness of parting.." I just..idk..there's no word to explain!
I have to say that Love is the most powerful feeling in the world and the main characters have perfectly portrayed that feelings.
I personally enjoy all of the hero saving the mistress scene ;D (you know, kekeke)
They show the meaning of true love and that you don't have to believe in true love, you can just believe in the person. Trust is the key to long lasting love.
The ending will definitely make you cry so don't say I didn't warn you