The Emperor: Owner of the Mask

• Members: 7,052

The Emperor: Owner of the Mask (2017)

Jul 13, 2017
I WATCHED IT SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO
 If you have to prioritize, watch the first episode and judge for yourself, because some tricks and stretches are telling for the overall quality and worldbuilding. Are you OK with random commoners using Lee last name (and it somehow being an important factor for maliciously choosing a crown prince's substitute)? How about a poison that has to be re-taken every 15 days otherwise the afflicted person will die? Or a poison that makes the survivor immune to all the other poisons in the world? Do you buy the reasoning for hiding crown prince's face behind a mask? Unless you really can't stand prolonged misunderstandings and great love built on lack of communication (or even shared screentime), you'll be OK with the rest.
(And speaking of the setup, I have no idea what were they thinking using prince Sado's name, since it can't even be considered an alternative, rice box-free version of that story. Maybe the writer had something planned but she forgot about it in a meantime? Or wanted to troll us with a prospect of a tragic ending?)
Despite all the plotting, accumulating power and changing teams going on, there's not enough plot to last for 20 hours (and a 5 years long time skip during which 1st female lead regressed and everything interesting apparently just happened to the other three). Some matters, like finding a poppy field, could have been resolved around 1/3 of the show and don't even start me on that jar that no-one bothered to come and get until the very end. Really. There were two quests in total and they were both lying sidelined waiting for a person in charge to get to his or hers grand moment, because everyone else was too busy creating misunderstandings, being a noble idiot or passively looking from behind. Right, they needed to make an antidote too, but that just happened last minute.
To make matters worse, due to the episode getting split in half it wasn't 20 eps but 40 shorter ones. So double the cliffhanger / wet blanket combo and add general lack of fluidity here and there. With that being said, it's not a show to watch for the plot and the overall pacing fits what little character development we see. Except most of it is thrust upon the second leads.
Storytelling is mediocre at best and very predictable in a short term (still engaging on a longer run). You can have a drinking game for everything that happens on cue and every seam that shows through. Expect lots of convenient timing used for the sake of the dramatic effect and main characters doing nothing and getting away with it, because events resolve themselves without them. I'm not even talking about overused hijinks like the main girl coming back from her task all down and changing her mood midsentence, saying to the crowd's relief she suceeded, or that scene when the crown prince was being mourned only to show above someone's shoulder and ask who's dead. And let's ignore that General who fought Jurchens, because he's such a stock character I physically cringed every time he spoke. His lines were like something a kindergartner with a wooden sword would improvise, that kid that gets some episodic part because someone has to do it, and maybe doubles as a tree. Someone on kissasian commented it's like the writer was using a textbook on how to write a segeuk and I fully agree. It's a second rate fanfic writing in a high budget decorations. Easy on eyes and ears, engaging, but only until you take your eyes of it and start looking at the whole picture. With a different cast and lower production value, it'd be unwatchable.
The romance is bland and angsty. They meet, they instantly fall in love, some misunderstandings happen to them [enters 'came from the dead, pretends to be his own lookalike' trope sprawling over the better part of the middle], they separate, they're back and everything is all dandy. The end. The second leads meddle into it, but they never had a chance and weren't even looking for a different options, so there's no thrill. Fill the empty spaces with speeches on the common people suffering under Evil Corp, the legitimacy of power, qualities of a good leader and apologies towards villain who was clearly forced by a circumstances and badly run country to turn evil, poor thing. The show takes itself very seriously, but comes off silly and pompous despite some original concepts thrown at the beginning. I wish writers had a better idea of showing Ga Eun's independence than making her going blindly her way, without consulting people around her and making informative choices. I'm not saying asking for permission, but communicating with a person she supposedly loves that much. I suspect reasons for that are not exposing her trait as much as having her in one place with the second male lead and under his power, and giving the first male lead an opportunity for a dramatic run through a city stopped on crossed halberds. She could be much more than that -- and she was, but it derailed.

WHAT'S IT WORTH WATCHING FOR:
 Hm. Let me think. YSH was born to play royals. He's charismatic, commanding and has them dramatic gazes covered. And not forget his deep voice. But we didn't need a 20 episode drama to confirm that. Both he and KSH are wasted in their roles of a sheltered prince taking a responsibility and a trophy girl. A kind, caring, underinformed trophy girl fighting for a justice. With 15 minutes of a heavily reused footage her character had more impact on the story in Goblin than here. Wait, I meant to stay positive. Both leading actors managed to carry their characters thanks to their charisma and breathed some air into subpar writing. Both second leads showed improvement compared to some of their former works. Second female lead comes quite a way from a creep playing with her knife (or was a needle?) and inflicting on herself a wound to match with the one the crown prince got to an independent, succesful woman standing against her family and making great sacrifices. Second male lead shares 1st lead burden and tries to navigate in an unfamiliar environment until he can't take it anymore and breaks apart. Villain is entertaining to watch and not omnipotent (close, but not), but towards the end he's getting out of character (or was he always delusional?). The other villain has a motivation so murky and changable I won't risk a guess what was she actually plotting, but I doubt it was intentional anyway. At some point it looked like we've got a few more secret organisations to stir things up, but keep your hopes low. As soon as they were introduced, they got tossed away. [Looks like that's as far as my positive attitude can get me.]
Rating it anything below 7 is mean towards production team and actors, but the writing really brings it down. You can safely skip that one, but if you feel like watching something light, why not give it a shot and see for yourself. [But don't even a light show need a more convincing romance, if nothing else?]

xXabsintheXx
Jul 14, 2017
I don't quite know where to begin with my review. Should I list all the good things or should I list all the bad things first? This is also the reason why my rating is probably not yet final. It might change one or two times, though it will definitely not go up any further.

So, to summon it up, this drama is flashy, cheesy, overly dramatic and sometimes seriously ridiculous. The synopsis for this show is quite scarce, so I'll try to describe some additional facts first.

The king rules over his country. That's how it should be. But in fact, he is only a puppet who is led by Pyunsoo Group, a large hidden organization that has its own trick to control the royal family quite well. The Crown Prince meanwhile has to wear a mask in order to hide his face because of an illness he got when he was born - at least that's what the people and the ministers believe. And because of Pyunsoo Group he is also forced to live outside the palace someday. There he meets Ga Eun who he will fall in love with.

The basic plot is actually quite interesting. That's why it's so sad that it doesn't live up to its potential in the end. It had a steady atmosphere what I liked about this drama, but every now and then it managed to drop one or two ridiculous bombs that were either created by some nonsensical decisions or resulted in some foolish actions.

There were alot of characters who had the potential to something big, but they never rose from their grounds. Same applies for the acting. Though I can't blame half of them because they got some crappy scripts for their roles, the other half of the cast was only average or worse.

As interesting as the beginning was, I never saw an actual improvement of the Crown Prince. He might have become a little smarter, that's all. Same goes for the female lead. At a certain point in the drama, she started to annoy me because so many bad things happened only because of her. It irritated me so much, that almost every decision centered around her. She was either bait or needed protection or whatever. I don't know where it went wrong but her role felt more like a burden than a blessing/support. I admit that I enjoyed some of her scenes with the Crown Prince though. But that's as far as it goes.

At some point I started to favor the second female lead more than the actual one. There was definitely growth in her character while she was one of the most conflicted persons in the story. And although I was skeptical regarding the actress at first, I'm glad that she pulled off her character so well that I even felt sad about her efforts being in vain - though on the other hand she did accomplish some of her wishes in the end.

There are only a few performances I truly enjoyed. The Queen Dowager, the second female lead's father, the female lead's father, Woo Bo (Lee Sun's teacher) and Dae Mok, the head of Pyunsoo Group. Their acting was shining compared to the rest. Yoo Seung Ho had his moments, too, and I enjoyed most of his scenes, but damn, he's one teary guy. His hair is beautiful though...

There is indeed an unhealthy amount of crying. Alot of it. And everyone seems to be a real crybaby, it spreads like a disease. Shedding tears during almost every serious moment.

Did I like something? The clothes, the cinematography, the MUSIC (that score was good~), impressive entrances (esp from Yoo Seung Ho, his royal demeanor was intriguing) and some really good fighting scenes.

Recommendation is debatable and this is definitely not a sageuk for everyone. It's quite predictable, with alot of stereotype characters and some questionable turn of events. Despite that I still felt entertained to a certain degree. There were many moments that kept my interest throughout the whole drama and I wanted to see the finale, even though I already knew how it would probably end~

And Yoo Seung Ho's hair was so beautiful... Did I already mentioned that? Damn, that dude is gorgeous.

Jessica
Jul 16, 2017
Argh this drama is such a mess that I don't even know where to begin. First of all, the story is incredibly disappointing: predictable, filled with plot holes, conveniently lucky at times to save the protagonist, and overall filled with frustrating pacing.
The characters that began with promise quickly lost their luster, with probably only Hwa Gun becoming an actually well-written character by the end. Yoo Seung Ho is an outstanding actor with both talent and heart-melting looks, but his character is inconsistent, annoying, and stuck in a plot that doesn't seem to go anywhere until the end. Same with Kim So Hyun- I absolutely adore her in her previous works, but Ga Eun is written so blandly that I really could retain interest in her. As for L (Myung Soo), he actually exceeded all expectations in his performance, but again- his character had many inconsistencies in writing to be of interest.
THE SOLE REASON FOR WATCHING THIS would have to be Hwa Gun. Now, Yoon So Hee isn't the greatest actress out there- she does need some work on her annunciation and just more experience in general. However, she did a great job as Hwa Gun and certainly improved from her past roles. It seems that all of the character development that was supposed to happen to everyone else just poured into her instead. Solidly written and developed, Hwa Gun is a character balanced in virtues and flaws who becomes vital to both the story and the audiences attention. One of my all-time favorite characters.
Dae Mok began as an interesting villain, but quickly fell into the category of antagonists that I like to call "Fire Lord Ozais". [Note: If you've seen Avatar: The Last Airbender, you'd know that the overarching villain is Fire Lord Ozai. However, throughout most of the story, Princess Azula is the truer and much better antagonist with clear complexities and motivations, reducing Ozai to more of a figurehead.] Dae Mok does get some backstory, but it's vague and undeveloped, making him a simplified figure of evil that our boringly righteous protagonists may fight with.
There may be solid actors in this drama, but not even they can save poor writing. The music was amazing, but it's not particularly memorable nor surprising for a high budget sageuk.
If you enjoy overly dramatic sageuks with actors that are easy on the eyes, go for it if you have 20 hours to spare.

Shi
Jul 17, 2017
*Negetive Points:
- Waste of both main leads talents. They are great actors but here.. NO.
- Childish story like fanfics and hilarious ending.
- No chemistry between main leads.
- Predictable and cliché drama.
- 18 OST but 2 or 3 was good.
- Why they mentioned historical lee sun at the beginning with exactly same born date and mother name? Just for fun? What the flower.

*Positive Points:
- Strong secend female lead. (Annoying at the beginning)
- beautiful costumes.
KristineLe
Aug 12, 2017
What can I say? I'm disappointed. I'm usually very patient with dramas, and I'm willing to watch 1/3 of the way if it means at least getting to a better and more improved plot - but I literally skipped through more than half of this one and read recaps all the way until the last 6-7 episodes.

Why did I pull through? Why did I still give this drama an overall rating of 8/10? Because of Yoo Seung Ho, Kim So Hyun, and a few other side characters such as Gon, Hwa Gun, and Master Woo Bo. Otherwise, the drama itself would have been unbearable. The plot was super bland - but arbitrarily convenient in certain settings just so that the leads would MIRACULOUSLY be saved with a scrape or two. I've seen enough Sageuk dramas to predict a few things here and there, but not enough that I would be able to basically feel out the remainder of the story as I did with this one.

I honestly did feel as if YSH and KSH's fullest potential was not demonstrated in this drama, and I could understand why - the plot was lacking the structure that would allow for the leads to express the right range of emotions. I felt like KSH held back in certain scenes - maybe due to discomfort or just a disconnect with her character? YSH had a great presence, but because the plot was so lacking, it felt as if his acting was uncomfortably overpowering? Don't get me wrong, I've seen both of the leads' previous works before, and they are definitely talented - but this drama did not put them in a position to perform at their fullest potential.

Also, this drama dragged on for a lot longer than necessary. Like seriously, it could have ended 5 episodes earlier of both parties stopped feigning ignorance 45 times in a row just to have their plans spoiled.

With that said, I would not recommend this. The actors and actresses alone are not enough to save the drama as a whole!!! P.S. I'm still a big fan of YSH and KSH though, and I hope that they will star in another drama in the future :-)

kurage
Jul 14, 2017
I saw too much negative comments about this show but I think actually this drama deserve more praises. It had great potential but sadly, it was not perfectly executed, and what make this worse is that it had good promotion as if it's going to be a masterpiece so the viewers had high expectation but turned out the show could not meet those expectation.

As I said before, this show has great potential, the storyline about royal family problems and all those conflict with pyunsoo group were quite believable for me at some point. I have no complain regarding the main plot about how the crown prince grows to be a good ruler for the country. But I found too much unnecessary love dilemma along the story and it becomes annoying at some point. I did not know that story of love actually can ruin the show to this extent. well I actually a sucker for romance but the romance here is not appealing for me. Ok, that was all the negatives I can mention about this drama. Now, let's talk about the good things.

First, we should not miss how the writer make a dynamic character for this story. Almost all of the characters showed nice development over time and they really grew, they showed various emotions, had both weak and strong side and made me pay attention and root for them (I love all four lead characters here). This drama is combination of well written characters and great actors, in this term I'm so thankful they cast these actors. I am a fan of Kim So Hyun and I knew she can do much more than what she showed here just like what everyone complained but at the end I kind of understand that she played a strong and steady character, not the one that stand out much and it was not something we can ignore. As for Yoo Seung Ho, through this drama I discovered that he is indeed charming and so lovable. I'll definitely going to check his future project. That also applied for L. I've known this guy ever since his debut with infinite and among all of his drama, his acting here was the best, I am truly impressed, he finally become real actor *tearsofjoy. Hwa Gun is my favorite here eventhough Yoon So Hee was a bit off in portraying her character. For me Hwa Gun's character was not about obsession since she still care for her father, not just her love interest. She shows how a daughter/granddaughter can also make decision and take action based on her judgement. She was the true definition of cool and influential second lead for me.

Second, the production team put a lot of effort in making this. Aside from the good cast, we can also tell from first glance that this is not a low budget drama. From the setting, properties, cinematography and everything about this drama were not done half hearted. It was beautifully made, including the soundtrack. From what I knew, they released 17 ost for 20 episodes drama and those 17 songs were delivered by talented musicians. Among all the good things bout this drama, the fact that it has 17 ost was my favorite, especially because my favorite singer Hwang Chi Yeul and Yoseob lent their voice.

Lastly, I will say that I really enjoyed this drama despite the plothole and partly unconvenience story line. To be honest, of all drama I watched at the same time, this is the one I am most looking forward to each week. (probably because I did not watch a lot of saeguk so this story is new and original for me)

overall, I still recommended this drama but don't set your expectation too high.

saera
Jul 14, 2017
I don't know... I have a soft spot for retellings, and I really like the concept of the Prince and the Pauper. Also, the setting of the Joseon Dynasty is always interesting to me :) but... I don't know... I just completed watching this drama series, and somehow it doesn't feel satisfying for me? As though some part of me knows it could've been so much more?

And I feel so torn about characters... because the real crown prince did draw me in at the beginning. But I just don't like Ga-eun that much? She is headstrong and independent, certainly, and she is very pretty. I can understand how the commoner Lee Sun fell for her - she named him, added to his identity, gave him a purpose and a dream - but to me, the real crown prince learnt to be wise even without her. Actually he was most supported by his faithful advisors and servants, in my personal opinion. I didn't feel convinced that he really needed Ga-eun, or that even Ga-eun needed him to develop her own character.

In fact, I'm surprised by how much I grew to like other characters instead, like Hwa-gun and even Dae-mok. Hwa-gun, in her love for the crown prince, developed so much strength of character and courage. Dae-mok as an opponent brought out the best in the real crown prince's character and really drove the plot forward. I didn't like the commoner Lee Sun in the middle of the story (I just didn't like the personality; the character development was actually well done) but I loved him in the ending, because the character came full circle and I like how he redeemed himself in a believable (even if predictable) manner.

So... I don't know. Something about the two lead characters just wasn't satisfying for me. I think they seem rather two-dimensional to me, compared to the supporting characters. If the crown prince did not act so kingly in some situations, or if Ga-eun became much much more vulnerable in her personality at some point... I think I would've really liked to see more of this somewhere in the drama.

pinky
Aug 29, 2017
DON'T!! Don't you dare watch it!
This thing was crap. . . I actually tried it because of the main character since most of his dramas were nice, but this one was very dissapointing. Let me put it in a sentence:

"Two guys love same useless girl for no apparent reason and nation at stake but winning the useless girl's heart is much more important than the people sacrificing themselves."
Seriously, it begun very good but as soon as that girl with fake smile showed up, the nation was doomed, friendship was doomed, parents were doomed. . . Plz, for the sake of not making yourself feel stupid, don't watch.

Yuna
Jul 14, 2017
I was very excited for this drama when it was first announced. It was Yoo Seunghos 1st drama after the wonderful and amazing Drama 'Remember - War of the Son' and I love him because he is an amazing young Actor. And I was looking forward to the chemistry between him and Kim Sohyun but honestly I wasn't so impressed at the end.

Story: The story is okay. In my opinion it isn't very extraordinary. A crown Prince who fights against the bad guys and falls in love with our heroine, who was falsely asccused and executed. The Crown Prince can't trust everyone but a few people who make him stronger. The Beginning of the drama was good, but later I was a little bored. I don't know why but when you've watched this and Seven Day Queen at the same time maybe you will understand me.

Acting/Cast: The cast was the main reason for watching and awaiting this drama. And it is the Main Reason because I give this drama a 8.5 and not a lower rating.
Yoo Seungho played the real crown Prince Lee Sun who has to face the angst to die since he was born. He loves the people even though they talk very much but he is a little naive. But Yoo Seungho played the role very good. Honestly I would love to see him in a melodrama with romance soon, because saeguk dramas have their weakness in this aspect. Seungho is one of the best actors when it comes to crying scenes (after Lee Junki) and he proved it again in 'Ruler'. In my opinion he was the stongest Actor in the Drama.
Kim Sohyun was very good, too. She is one of my favourite Actresses, but she was annoying towards the end. It wasn't her acting but her role. I don't knwo why but sometimes I questioned myself, why Gaeun was the 1st lead. Her Role wasn't written well, but she did her best. And for such a role she was very very good.
For Yoon Sohee I have to say it was the opposite. Her acting was bad at the beginning but her role was well written. The development of Hwa Gun let me thought that she would be better the 1st lead. Sohee did a great job after about 10 or 11 Episodes.
Kim Myungsoo (aka L of Infinite) was okay. At first I didn't like his acting, but at the end he was great. He did better than in his previous projects. His role was nice written and he acted well.
The supporting Actors and Actresses were also good. To name some of the best of them: Heo Joonho (as Daemok), Shin Hyunsoo (as Chungwoon), Lee Chaeyoung (as Maechang), Bae Yoorim (Mooha) and Park Chulmin (Woobo) were some of the Actors who carried the drama until the end. Without them it wouldn't have been a drama I would rate 8.5. So yes the Cast was the best Aspect of the Drama...

Music: The OST has very good Songs. My favourite is from Hwanhee (maybe because I love his voice). But I also like the Songs from K.Will and Hwang Chiyeol.

My wish to watch it again isn't very big but before I miss Yoo Seungho too much I would do it...Maybe, if I don't want to watch one of his other dramas again.

I hope I could help some of you a bit.

CLXVI
Jul 14, 2017
This drama will be included on my top 10 historical drama's of all time as the top 2 contender. Why? Simply because this drama gives you a very interesting story, I won't say anything detailed though because I don't want to give spoilers for those who didn't get to watch it yet.

However, as some said, especially Hancinema who described this drama as 'irredeemably stupid'. I'd still look back to watch it again. Why? Because I enjoyed the characters.

Yoo Seung-ho is the lovely prince who struggled to fight the corrupt subjects of his country, and was being helped by the people who trusted and loved him as much as he love and wanted to save his people.

Kim Myung-soo (L) gave out his best perfomance in here, I got to see that he became good on his craft unlike before. I cried my heart out for him, I felt his emotions and I felt the agony he had in his heart as he plays his role.

Kim So-hyun, at first I was kind of slow on picking up her craft because she was obsessed on what happened to her father and that she's willing to be fooled just to clear her father's name. But in the midst of the commotion, when she gave her best shot to help the King. I clapped for her with all my might.

Yoon So-hee/ Shin Hyun-soo/ Kim Seo-kyung/ Heo Joon-ho & Lee Chae-young: I can't stop admiring this actors/actresses. Especially Yoon So-hee(Hwa Gun) who gave her everything to protect & help the King. To Kim Seo-kyung (Gon), that cherishes Hwa-gun with all his heart and protected the man whom Hwa-gun loves, even though it will hurt him to see that her smiles only belongs to that person. And for the villain of this country Heo Joon-ho (Dae-mok), who's great on portraying his evil deeds. I admire his greed and power to make the King & his Crown Prince suffer.

Park Chul-min (Master Woo-bo) who's good at giving His Majesty advice when he's in trouble or depressed about something that will help resolve the matter at hand.

All in all, this drama gave everything they got and we, the viewer's who enjoyed it gave our own opinion and honest reaction for this wonderful drama. I salute everyone, the cast, the PD's, the Director, the writer's and the crew for their job well done.

We are entitled to our own opinion, as for me. I love this drama with all my heart and I'm giving it 9.9/10.
0.1% left because... you'll know when you watch this drama yourself, I would like to say that the 0.1% goes for the plot arrangement.

Jul 15, 2017
Usually, period dramas are a bit boring, especially when they exceed the 16 episodes barrier. However, this one, kept the interest high till the end. Sure, the mystery wasn't that good, as it was easy to figure out. But, the whole bad politics plot was entertaining, with lots of action scenes and very realistic costumes and settings. The performances were great, and probably that's the main reason why this one gets 8 out of 10 from me. The love story was okay, though, it got a bit tiring towards the end, plus, they didn't seem to have chemistry at first. But, it worked out eventually, so that helped with the love triangle as well. Overall, 8 out of 10.

ElexandraMartins
Jul 15, 2017
Ga Eun certamente entrará para o rol das melhores rainhas que já vi: inteligente, corajosa, bondosa, leal ao povo. Ela perdeu todo o seu mundo logo no início, mas soube se reerguer e ainda ajudou o povo a superar suas muitas dores e dificuldades quando tudo o mais parecia ter-se esvaído como o pó lançado ao vento. Lutou com o rei pelo povo, lutou com o povo por uma Joseon justa. Maravilhosa!

Os reis costumam ser tolos e manipuláveis em dramas históricos. Lee Sun, contudo, se juntou a Lee Hwon no seleto grupo de príncipes e reis que usam o cérebro para proteger ao povo e a seus ideais. Ademais, lançou por terra o ditado que diz: "Água mole em pedra dura, tanto bate até que fura." - foi tentado pelo poder diversas vezes, mas declinou em todas elas. Foi envenenado pelo menos 4 vezes, mas recuperou-se mais rapidamente em todas elas. Ovídio disse isso por não conhecer o legítimo "Duro de matar"!

O que dizer dos coadjuvantes? Foram incríveis!
Detestei Hwa Gun no início, pois não parecia ser nada além da famigerada mocréia doramática. Ela, contudo, surpreendeu-me: por seu amor ao príncipe acabou por contribuir para a formação de um país que zela pelos seus.

Lee Sun, por outro lado, era o coitado de quem me apiedei no começo e cuja vida desejei ver ceifada ao final do drama. L entrando, pisando no tapete das estrelas do k-pop que atuam de verdade.

Chung Won, Woo Bo, Gon e Moo Ha