Criminal Minds

• Members: 6,259
anteaq
Sep 29, 2017
There was something extremely lackluster about this drama. I sincerely wanted to love it since I’m a fan of both the original series and Lee Joon Gi; however, this didn’t live up to my expectations. While watching the final episode, I noticed how uninterested I was in the plot. I couldn’t stay focused even though it was the climax of the series. I had to push myself to finish this drama and was thoroughly displeased. Maybe because I am a fan of the original and had high expectations for this remake that I couldn’t watch it without any bias, but even as a crime/detective drama it was unstimulating.

Overall and Story:
As a remake, there were many similarities between this and the original such as: the plot, some characters, and the concept. The show is based on criminal profiling and being able to “predict” an unsub’s (aka unidentified subject) actions through their psychological state. With the understanding of the unsub’s mental state and upbringing the team can help solve cases and prevent the unsub from striking again. The drama did “well” in this aspect. They broke down facts and solved crimes, but some details came out of nowhere. For a few cases, the profiling of the unsub felt far-fetched and unrealistic. I caught myself constantly wondering how the team deducted this information, but we never found out how.

The first few episodes were refreshing so the show felt promising and was intriguing. However, as the show progressed the cases and the criminals felt sapless. The cases may be similar to the original, but they lacked depth. The overarching antagonist in this drama also lacked intensity causing the drama to not have a strong and interesting (in a morbid pleasure kind of way) plot.

Acting/Cast:
About fifty percent of my decision to watch this was due to Lee Joon Gi. He portrayed Kim Hyun Joon who is an original character in this remake and as usual, I was charmed by his acting. Moon Chae Won is where I’m most dissatisfied. There’s no doubt that Moon Chae Won is a great actress, but the role of Ha Sun Woo was bland and stiff. I’m all for a tough female who doesn’t need romance in her life and can kick butt, but she was uninteresting to watch. The scriptwriter’s idea of a strong and independent female was far from amazing.

While we’re on the topic of the scriptwriters…they ruined the original Criminal Minds team. Lee Han was supposed to be Reid, Na Na was supposed to be Garcia, and Kang Ki Hyung was supposed to be Hotchner. I say supposed to be, because they failed miserably. I understand that there will be deviations here and there with remakes, but their character deviations were just atrocious. Lee Han reminds me a smart weakling who does nothing to add to the team, Na Na is trying so hard to be quirky she’s coming off as an annoying auntie who is a computer geek, and Kang Ki Hyung was…dull. There’s something about being the head of the team and going through what this character goes through that makes him stoic and fierce. His role knows the bitterness of the job, but sticks with it because he wants to better the lives of others by keeping these criminals off the street. The character, Kang Ki Hyung, was colorless and had no impact. I have not seen these actors in any other roles, but I don’t think it’s the actors fault that these characters were appalling. I truly believe it was the scriptwriters.

Last Thoughts:
It was hard to watch this series as a fan of the original because it’s difficult to not compare. Some of the cases are almost identical to the original so I couldn’t help but to compare. I firmly believe that the downfall of this drama wasn’t the cast, but the scriptwriters. The story and characters weren’t captivating. Maybe it’s because this series is so short that the scriptwriters had to rush the plot along, but a drama doesn’t need length for the content to be great.

If you’ve seen or are a fan of the original Criminals Minds I would not recommend you to watch this. If you’ve never seen Criminal Minds and enjoy crime/detective dramas I would recommend this with a grain of salt. It’s definitely not the best drama I’ve seen, but it’s also not the worst. It just lacked something to make it captivating.

xXabsintheXx
Oct 8, 2017
Boring, cold, emotionless.

I'm surprised at myself for finishing  this. It's hard to describe what went wrong here. The drama failed in so  many ways. The team never connected on a deeper base, the cases were  interesting in their core but the writing and execution sucked. It was  never able to build enough suspense to make me excited/worried/eager to  watch more.

Don't get me wrong. Some of the individual cases  were pretty gruesome and interesting (and I was shocked how violent they made them look) than what I would expect from a  k-drama. But most times it still left me cold because the writers extended the investigation part way too much while (at the same time) were still not able to explain the profiling part in a comprehensible  and gripping way. It felt like getting food thrown at your face.

The cast 'looked' amazing but their roles were written rather poorly and appeared choppy. If this would have been my first drama with those actors and actresses, I wouldn't be interested in any other drama they starred in. Dialogues  sounded boring, the tone of each voice was always the same monotone  sound which lulled me into sleep. Some of the background music were not  helping either. I missed emotions so much here. And I missed those tiny personal  interactions between the leads. A wink, a look, some short random remarks. I don't know.  They sounded like a bunch of people who  successfully memorized their texts... Which is why I couldn't connect to  any of them. They were so one-dimensional.  I admit that sometimes it  looked like they tried to be more, but... well, it wasn't enough.

They did have some kind of steadiness: Constant  stagnation.

And what ending was that? The finale felt flat. Most times I'm quite satisfied with the main villains in dramas. But this one? Nope. There are actors who are able to pull off EVERY damn role they are given, even the bad ones. And they are able to shine in even those. And then there are actors who only suit certain characters. The actor for the main villain in this show failed to impress me - solely because his acting and his appearance together failed to capture an otherwise intriguing figure.

I'm familiar with the original series this one is based on, but I'm not a regular follower. Though occasionally I watch one or two episodes once in a while. And I have to admit that I'm more satisfied with their cases than I was with this show, even though I'm not deeply connected with the leads in the US version either. The reason why I stick with the show when I stumble upon it while zipping through the channels is because I am glued to one special bond between two of the leads. And because their cases feel more compact which leads to a more intriguing investigation. Well, if I want to, I can go into more detail but I think I made my point clear.

So sad this failed to reach my expectations. I so wish I could say something positive as well, but there's nothing I can think of. Everything that started out good/interesting became rather boring quite quickly because they stretched the developing process too far, didn't show crucial details in the leads' behavior/facial expressions and slow/dull scene editing...

But I did like the ending song!

Jonno
Oct 6, 2017
I had high hopes for this one considering its a TVN show with a pretty respectable cast. Being an American remake, this show was rather dull and predictable all the way through and I expected a bit more imagination and quality which is what usually accompanies TVN produced crime dramas.  In the end though it's just like any other cookie cutter American police procedural. The problem with those types of shows these days is that they all follow the same lazy formula. It's the equivalent of a ride breaking down at a theme park: The lights turn on, the music stops, and you realize that the actual crime shows you're addicted to are nothing more than a few puppets on machines, programmed to do the same thing over and over again. There are way too many shows like this in America right now and its just disappointing seeing such an similar uninspired product coming out of TVN.

oldkrone
Oct 5, 2017
This is a very nice drama for in between and genuinely something I would watch after coming home from work  during dinner. The only problem is that it does lack quite some substance to it, making the whole series a bit dull.- Cast/Acting
I really loved the acting in this drama. Everyone did an fantastic job, especially the side characters' actors were truly amazing. On that note I would like to point out that all the child actors are true little pros! Their acting skills were wonderful to watch. While I loved the acting so much in this I think some of the actors' talents were a bit wasted on the characters they played. - Story
The idea is quite simple with there being one case per episode which also spans out to the following episode. There is no true plot and if you believe we dive a bit more into - for instance - the happenings of episode 1, then the following episodes will disappoint. Certain characters have some kind of sub-plot but the main focus lies on the cases the team works on. In general I felt disconnected with the entire series and wished there would have been at least one single theme popping up once and again that would push for more character development and give the watcher some sense of anticipation or suspense.Something else that bothered me quite a lot throughout the whole drama was the extensive usage of the word profiling. As a whole the script's dialog was somewhat weird during the first few episodes, in my opinion.- OST
There is almost no OST in this drama - I'm talking about "songs" rather than instrumental background noise - which was a bit disappointing, but I liked the occasional soundtrack popping up here and there. I wish they had played it more frequently!All in all if you need something to watch in between some heart shattering dramas or if you like to chill out to some Criminal Minds in the morning during your breakfast then it surely will fulfill its duty without space for criticism. If you look for something that will make you feel like you fell through your screen and into the story and the drama itself then this is not really the right thing you are searching for, I believe.

Teddy A.K.
Sep 30, 2017
One of the best kdramas I have watched and of course the best out of thriller/drama/crime/action kdramas I have ever watched. As of yet, no other can compare to this one. It has a good amount of plot twists and unexpected scenes. All the gore is blurred out which I thought was very considerate for those wishing to watch a thrilling, psychological, crime-solving drama without having to look away every so often. I feel like this drama also promotes girls in the work that is conventionally for guys, for example, an information specialist as well as being a pro hacker and a bad-ass fighter; which is of course, awesome. I don't normally comment on the bgm but the bgm in this drama suited the scenes very well and made creepy scenes scarier and action scenes more thrilling. The cast was top notch, no arguing with that. Overall, a very smart and brilliant drama.

adjournb3
Sep 30, 2017
The key point of the series is the character's story and the cast. While the story of the series lies under one villain,[Reaper] it was sewn for substories. The underlying motif of the series "as crime" remained alarming throughout. The dialogue/lines from script requires patience for it's viewers. The scene is one-sided so the story is definitely dependent to the episode development.  Sometimes, the investigation could be dreary but the process of profiling, catching the criminal was entertaining. I personally quite pick up some informative terms.
The series has it's depth and execution, the character-story is stronger than of it's other features. It surely failed on small connecting dots but , as whole, I think it hold more substance than any investigating teams out there in a series.

Shae
Oct 12, 2017
It's an okay drama. Something to watch to pass the time, like finding one of those random shows on Netflix, because you have a coupla hours to spare. Draws you in the first handful of episodes then, drops you in a mildly entertaining barrel of suck...and you'll still watch.
Would recommend for those in between dramas or want to take a break from the regular fare.
I would not recommend to those new to kdramas.
Not worth rewatching, unless you want to see our elf prince in regular clothes. Great ensemble cast. Just wish those who were meant to be badass actually got to show more than once.