Student A (2018) poster

74 titles 134 loves 1
EXO Acting Compilation

Pingukkie
Nov 25, 2018
"It is okay to cry when you are sad."

A short, yet beautiful bildungsroman.

Middle School Girl A is an endearing movie about two people--facing struggles in life and feeling complete hopelessness--coming together and comforting each other through their struggles. This movie highlights issues ranging from bullying to domestic violence to suicidal tendencies. It showcases how two unlikely people can meet and become each others' beacons of light through their darkest moments.

Kim Hwan Hee portrayed Jang Mi Rae phenomenally. She completely captured the essence of an outcasted middle school girl's struggles. I couldn't help but sympathize and pity Mi Rae through every hardship she experienced; it so vividly reminds me of days where I felt in similar positions. My heart undividedly ached for her through the entirety of the movie. Kim Junmyeon // Suho did a fine job playing Jae Hee. It was convincing enough that I also felt for his character, but didn't stand out in any particular way.

The supporting cast played their roles decently as well. Jung Da Bin was very convincing in her mannerisms as Baek Hab. The rest of the students were alright, but it's clear they lack the experience of both Hwan Hee and Da Bin. One of the teachers played a more comedic role, and he was just over-the-top to where his character was humorous, but not too much to where he'd seem insincere.

The music, or often lack thereof, fit the movie's more realistic tone very well. As such, there weren't very memorable moments, but the directing created a befitting atmosphere throughout the entire movie.

Overall, it was a very refreshing watch. I love how the movie addressed real conflicts, and the final message hit close to home. Don't bottle up all of your feelings; it's okay to cry when you want to.

Sep 20, 2018
Student A is an odd movie. First of all, the cinematography was wierd. Not when it came to the whole gaming universe, but the overall shots were filmed oddly. Also, the story got a bit odd as well at some point and they didn't explain why that happened. Nevertheless, the performances, especially from the leading lady, were really good and the story was interesting and dark. Unlike what the description provide as information, the plot presented some hard aspects of a teenager's life, like her father abusing her or being bullied at school. So, overall, 6 out of 10.
PsychosinnerWokeAsian
Apr 4, 2019
This film made me rethink all my previous rating decisions. I don't know what it is but the kind of projects Suho picks are the kind of stuff I live for. If you know me even a little you'll hear me raving about One Fine Day which is a literary masterpiece and now this, another soulful, profound story that just grabs you and you find yourself helpless. Yes, it's a hard watch because there are no guns blazing, no chaebols, and the story is about real people. The cinematography is beautiful and every single scene is choreographed to tell a story so you don't just experience the plot through spoken dialog. This movie made me extremely sad and just as happy. I don't know what I'll be able to watch after this one. Anyway I fell in love with Kim Hwan Hee's acting who played the role of Jang Mi Rae so well you couldn't see the actor but a sad, lonely girl who just wants to find her place in life. Absolute masterpiece.

kimbap
Nov 8, 2018
first of all, stupid plot..not weird..and the thing which is the most important thing here is.. suho's bad acting skills...people don't say that idols lack acting skills for no reason..i'd probably skip all the dramas he'd be casted in..and even the movies..his worse acting just can't be tolerated...nothing really wrong with other people..but this is just a waste of time where you can instead cook for yourself and have a feast..

however this is just kinda my opinion..you guys can check it out if ya like cuz this movie in some way represents the life of a real middle school student..not really..still yo can check it out..by the way..i judged cuz i watched it..

Mar 30, 2019
Se formos de analisar pelo contexto Middle School Girl A é um filme estranhamente incomum. Antes de mais anda, a cinematografia era estranha, quem reparar nos detalhe vai perceber. Não quando se trata de todo o universo dos jogos, mas as tomadas gerais foram filmadas de forma estranha, parecendo coisa de amadorismo, além disso, a história ficou um pouco estranha também em algum momento e eles não explicaram por que isso aconteceu (evitar spoilers) No entanto, as performances, especialmente da protagonista, foram muito boas e a história era interessante e sombria o que prendia a atenção. Ao contrário do que a descrição fornece como informação, o enredo apresentava alguns aspectos difíceis da vida de um adolescente, como seu pai abusando dela ou sendo intimidado na escol, em meio as coisas estranha é um bom filme.