Cinderella Chef (2018) poster

• Genres: Food, Historical, Comedy, Romance
  • Rating: Not Yet Rated

iateapanda
Jul 9, 2018
I like how the female lead time travels not to the usual palace settings, but to a bandit tribe. I also admire her for not conforming to her new surroundings as she continues to be her modern self, unlike other series. I just really like Ye Jia Yao because she's funny, witty and realistic, instead of the usual whiny and weak female lead. Even though she doesn't know martial arts, she survives pretty well due to her culinary skills.

That said, I also like the male lead. Like some characters in the series, there seem to be many "layers" to Xia Chun Yu. You just gotta keep watching to discover another side of him, which adds to the mystery of the entire story. The supporting characters and their respective stories are just as nice, as they compliment the main plot.

However, it does get a bit draggy towards the end... Regardless, I'd still recommend watching it if you're looking for something that's not too heavy (in terms of content).

Tamya Maragh
Jun 27, 2018
This drama is a very good drama, I loved how the main heroine went back in time to make a name for herself. Sense, back in her time nobody was interesting in her cooking. Besides, the romance she was able to accomplish her cooking skill and be next to her man that she fell in love with. The things that I didn't like was that the story did drag in the middle because of some of the unnecessary fighting or misunderstandings which of course I skipped. But the story was good in the end and they both got their happy ending.

I would definitely recommend watching, if you have time sense it is a long drama.

Shenji06
Oct 18, 2018
pros
setting /story is a bit different then usual
female lead saves this drama i really enjoyed her the rest of the cast not so much besides maybe 2 or 3 side characters

cons
story ( why put it in pros and cons ? watch the after episode 24 and you will know why )
too many episodes with filler that serves no real plot purpose ( series would have been good around 30 or so episodes in my mind )

1-24 this series is a solid 8+

i have to say i quite enjoyed the story at the beginning and when it focused on the food and how she was surviving using her modern knowledge and how she was living her fantasy and treating it like an vacation.

24-56 would be a 6 for me i feel like they did the bare minimum to keep a solid story

Then everyone dies and the story too as well, i didn't like the turn they took with the story to me if they kept it light hearted and funny and maybe add a little bit of spice/drama but they full on when they only needed to sprinkle a little.

You go from a light hearted funny drama to full on politics with slapped on cooking on the side and the typical wuxia struggle of jealousy in the palace with hidden birth none of those turns were presented well.

after episode 24 i ended up skipping alot of the series and just watched the main couple scenes i really enjoyed the first half and i want to know how there story unfolded and ends.

It's too bad that after the black wind massacre the story dies along with it and then the main leads play hot cold cold for the rest of the drama till near the end.

TLDR
-good first half
-terrible second half
-besides leads the rest of the story isn't good
get ready to fast forward alot unless you like slow torture
-romance is just ok to much cat and mouse and hot and cold in the end makes it not very entertaining
-happy ending

sharreb
Jul 27, 2018
Worth watching, worth my time. Good acting. Quite a solid plot
I. All the things i like:
1. Characters that are not one dimensional and actually has development and growth as the drama proceeds
2. Female lead thats direct, bold, somtimes outrageous and flirty too without being obnoxious (great departure fr d usual).
3. Male lead that is strong but not invicible, smart, serious at times but also approachable amd charming (i like rather than typical stoic type)
4. Some supporting leads that have tbeir own story, depth and well crafted character that you get to know and have an afinity to
5. If you like time travel. This one is pretty solid. You actually see how the present her properly enter the ancient timeline. I like its tied to the blood moon (This phenomena actually happened 12hrs before i wrote)
6. Double identity secrecy for both leads gives double the story and intrigue
7. No useless damsel. But a female who is a survival and utilise her cooking skills
8. Hightlight gender inequality. And that females can have guy friends.
9. Some very quirky scenes, some that makes you smike and laughed aloud. Ofcourse some sweet, some tender and moving scenes that are memorable to me
9. Finally on the love line. She was initially charmed by his good looks, lol salivate over his bod. While she intriques him and fall for her over time. But its a love thats tested by circumstances, secrecy, lies, half truths, and people around them
10. Villains that arent villains. Some antiheroes that i form an attachment to.
II. Things i dont care
1. Some characters that are total plot device and a few evil women that i dislike way too much that i fastforwarded their scenes
2. Really quite a bit of misunderstanding of which a few took awhile to be resolved
3. Some evil peeps took way too long for their downfall
4. Female lead's costume, a few especially first half that wasnt tasteful and bit distracting
5. Ost was alright but nothing to write home about
6. Plot dragged a little before we hit the middle of the drama before regaining traction and then again slowed before finale

Overall this drama was a notch above quite a few historical C dramas and im glad to have randomly chose it to watch and end my drama drought.

Zubi
Aug 27, 2018
It was very good drama and worthy to watch. It's concept was like scarlet heart but story was completely different.
I liked this drama very much.
It was not waste to watch it. It was not waste to watch it. Main actors were good.
As a historical drama and food genre this drama was not boring at all.
I think you should watch this drama. You will surely like it.
Characters chemistry was good. There was also suspense. Fighting cooking romance fantasy...this drama had it all.

Lilly Juliet Jaššová
Sep 11, 2018
Well. This drama is special. It's sometimes hilarious to watch.

The main heroine is cute and funny but sometimes absolutely ridiculous. The main hero is good looking but their interactions are sometimes impossible. He does not believe what she is saying and he has really really weird relationship with secondary women characters. But they really look like that they are in love relatively quickly.

Music in this drama doesn't stand up and it's boring.

Plot is sometimes really great but sometimes really bad. And you are wondering why are you watching this.

There is so many different secondary characters that you sometimes forget about what actually happened to them. The villains are often really useless and sometimes you have to wonder what are they doing and why.

But cooking is really awesome in this drama. When main heroine is cooking everything is really interesting.

The costumes and special effects are awesome.

It is really funny drama to watch.

blackstar_aria
Sep 7, 2018
Cinderella chef was a mix of my favorite things: a strong smart female lead, hot guys, fantasy, historical and food, but where did it all go wrong?

The good: the best thing about this drama was the very witty female lead Ye Jia Yao. She was never a damsel in distress, never waited to be saved by a man, made use of her skills and was i-n-p-e-n-d-e-n-t! (Hooray Girl power!). Honestly not many dramas have a smart, funny and non-annoying female lead.
Almost all the men in this one are HOT… in the best way possible! The majority of the male characters are learning to acquiesce to Jia Yao and her thoughts on women empowerment. In such a crossover historical drama I liked the use of modern terminology, and how the main characters would be lost while Jia Yao was explaining 21st century concepts; it just added congruity. It was cool that Jia Yao used her knowledge of historical dramas to help her through… that was cute!
The way the lead characters were written was magical, like a realistic couple, complete with quirks and trust and issues.

The Bad: The villains. Every drama can have a horrible step mother, an evil ex-girlfriend , awful sisters or in historical dramas an evil queen/king, and some really pointless self sacrifice. This drama had the worst combination of all of the above plus extra girlfriends and a troublesome kid. Delusional wickedry was the main theme in this drama and it was aggravating… to the point where I started to skip.
While I said the leads weren’t annoying with a drama this long they start to get a little aggy too … I guess to draw out the story lines? The story line was great at first but around episode 44, it started getting weird and dragging. It was almost as if they were piecing bits together to make sense. Towards the end the story that was already a fantasy became more incredulous.
Speaking of incredulous, Jia Yao was darned near in haute couture the entire show, where did you get those fabrics and those pumps sis? *side eye*. I am not even mentioning how the prince started in on 19th century inventions… *double side eye*. I guess some things are added to the fantasy part.

The verdict: There were tons of characters that were annoying, but as long as the leads are not its watchable. The lace front wigs were on point, and I loved Jia Yao’s costume changes even if they were not time period appropriate. The story line seemed to fall apart at the end and to be honest Jia Yao wasn’t really a Cinderella. A really good drama, if you like the first 3 episodes then you will like the rest certainly worth a watch.

Mimi
Dec 14, 2018
Story: It started out fine and pretty funny and cute with our FL being pretty smart. It's just after the 20th episode things starts to jumble and drags.
Acting: is okay not bad as this is my first time watching them I don't have much expectations. At times the acting felt forced or it's just like wtf happened to this character but that is mainly because of the bad plot.
Music: nothing special it's okay.
I don't think I'll rewatch this for sure and I'll only recommend others to watch to episode 20 and just drop it there. It's a 6/10 for me.
ShikanMairu
Mar 2, 2019
I read parts of the translated novel for Adorable Food Goddess and was surprise to see a drama base on it. I haven't read the novel far enough to know how true the drama is to the novel but from what I watched, I sincerely hope the novel will be more different than the drama. I was hesitate about watching another drama base off of a novel I read because the previous drama I watched that did that nearly drained me of all motivation, However, I read spoilers about the ending beforehand and found out this drama have a happy-ending. I figured, if it's going to end happy, it should be fun since it started off with a comedic flair,

I was clearly wrong because while it started off great, the middle portion of the drama just made the happy ending fake to me. There was a lot of fun moments in the beginning, a lot of time was spend in developing the relationship between the characters. However, towards the middle everything just feels wrong. The story was purposely dragged and it felt like they wanted it to be more dramatic so they killed off everyone. Everyone I thought was important besides the 2 main characters dies. . . like no one was spared, not even the little boy or the villagers. Heck, the 2nd male lead dies. And it was all because of the main characters. So when the ending came and the main characters lived happily ever after, I couldn't help but think how wrong it is. Everyone that was innocent died, but the two troublemakers lived. If they were just honest with each other, they could've avoided a lot of misunderstanding and it wouldn't have caused everyone to die for them. It felt unfair to me. If this drama was marked at a tragedy I wouldn't have been so upset but it's somehow a rom-com?

I don't know if I can finish the novel considering how much tears I shed through this drama. Sigh.

clamesmon
May 21, 2019
The overall story is pretty good, but I think that some stories is too long and actually not needed. Skipped some part because too draggy. The 2/4 part I'm pretty frustated how YJY keep pushed XCY away like there's no trust at all. All character have their own value, but not gonna lie there're so many characters. About the ending, I hope the writer can give us better ending. We already watched the "LONG" drama yet didnt have satisfying ending and felt rushed tbh. Hope there's season 2 with the same cast and XCY time travelled to YJY's era.
Dropped 43/56
DrAmAlOvEr
Jun 11, 2019
Dropped 0
at initially i gave this drama 7.5 rating but as long as i'm watching episodes my rating is decreasing 7.5 , 6, 5.5 no doubt drama is nice but it bored me to dragging unnecessary content too much which i think this series must be ended to 30-35 episodes it make me think should i drop it but what the reason i'm stick to it is main lead fun loving moments i hope in next episodes it makeup to my interest

it has most the similarities to eternal love which make it more uninteresting may be people like it cause eternal love is my also favorite but when drama not stand out in anything(new/unexpected) and became shadow of any drama then whats the point to give your valuable time to it

in my opinion its nice drama but not worth 56 episodes, there is not any extraordinary story line..............................by watching this drama people can judge itself thats better idea cause i've mixed feeling may be i'm watching asian dramas for long time so i'm familiar to dramas situations when it comes to compare any drama

it could be better if i haven't watch any similar drama before the it might be fresh for me and may be my opinion is different or better than this...

APrincessofMars
Jun 1, 2019
I actually was really enjoying this, until the subtitles stopped at episode 20. Up until that point this drama was quirky, fun and hilarious. Characters were likable and the odd nature of Xia Chun Yu and Ye Jia Yao relationship, suddenly getting married but then slowly falling in love, made for an excellent dynamic.

But then when the subs stopped so I peeked into the next few episodes to see what would come up next. Boy was I shocked. Yes, I was not expecting a full on bloodbath to happen. And then out of nowhere the chef (Ye Jia Yao) looses her sense of taste? What??? I wanted to know what happened but at the same time I was really put off by the changes, especially for such a silly light-hearted drama.

I looked into it later and judging from the last episodes, I think it still manages to pull off a happy ending. I haven't picked this up after what happened, even though I think the subs are in now. Perhaps one day.