Itazura na Kiss

Rourou
Apr 25, 2012
1-The reason i watched this : i watched it because it's the adaptation of one of my favorite stories "Itazura na kiss", i'm a huge fan and i watched this drama right after finishing the anime, it was the first drama adaptation that i've watched before "Playfull kiss" and "It started with a kiss".

2-Storyline/plot : They even changed the original manga story and didn't follow it plus it was short that i couldn't get the time to fully focus on it.

3-Acting/Cast : the female lead was totally an unforgivable choice, she ruined Kotoko's image in my mind for a while, she's so annoying that i end up not feeling sorry for her when Naoki treats her bad. The rest of the cast wasn't bad and i believe that the lead male was good.

4-Music : Fair enough

5-Rewatch value : people who liked it will rewatch others won't: it's as simple as that.

6-The ending : It was kind of rushed; it happened so quickly but it's not a bad ending.

7-Overall: I was kind of disappointed in this drama adaptation, it doesn't suit the huge size of Itazura na kiss. I believe that out of the 3 other dramas adaptations the japanese version was the worst yet seing Itazura na kiss's story all over again totally worth watching so no regrets.

Keurinibae
Jun 6, 2011
I originally began watching this show, but dropped it for awhile due to lack of interest by episode 4. Recently picked it back up after having seen the other adaptations of the series, and still didn't find it very interesting. Maybe it was because I'd seen the others completely first, but I felt a lack of effort for the story. The lead actress was a little over the top, though I know her character is supposed to be a little... eccentric...hyper... whatever you'd like to term it as. Takashi Kashiwabara, the main lead of Naoki, did well and really carried the majority of the series in my opinion. I won't rewatch this show very often, if at all, because the female lead annoyed me too much. I don't like giving a bad review, but... this was a dissappointment.

babysmurf
Nov 25, 2014
I love this adaption so much! I've watched it twice and I've never watched a drama twice before. Albeit, it's a shorter one so it doesn't take much time to re-watch.

Most of the complaints it gets is about Sato's Kotoko being too loud, over the top, and "annoying", but that's what Kotoko is all about. Whether it be this adaption or another, you're probably not gonna like this story if you don't like the Kotoko character because Kotoko's the complete point of Itazura Na Kiss! She's famous for being a unique protagonist and no way would this manga/drama be so well known and beloved if she was as terrible as people like to believe. I just don't understand why anyone wouldn't love her.

Since this drama was filmed in the mid-90s, it's very charming and kinda simple, straight to the point. It's not ridiculously flashy and drawn out, with a big budget, which makes it one of my favorite comfort dramas. Compared to the other adaptions, the family/business issues are extremely cut down which I like because I always find family drama plots tiresome.

Kassy's Naoki is sooo subtle, you have to watch his facial expressions closely or you'll miss some of the best parts of the drama and the moments where he's obviously falling for Kotoko.

I really love the soundtrack. The romantic instrumentals in 90s fashion, contrast perfectly with the amazingly upbeat "Steady" by SPEED.

Overall, the humor LARGELY depends on exaggerating characters and circumstances. If you're looking for something realistic, simply don't watch it! If you can't handle shouting, quick scene cuts, camera zooms, or basic classic comedy, don't watch it. It's not suppose to be taken too seriously.

The only downside is it never got a season 2. The character development was so great, but we don't get to see that development pursued because of the quick ending.

Regardless if people like this version or not, it will always be special for being the first live adaption of Itazura Na Kiss and the only live adaption that INK's creator Kaoru Tada got to see before she died. I don't know if she advised during the production, but I'm sure if she hadn't liked how Kotoko was portrayed, she would've said something.

Nathaniel
Jun 22, 2013
At first I watched this drama out of curiosity, especially after watching Playful Kiss and It started with a kiss. After the 1st episode I was openly to say totally disappointed, but I gave this drama its chance and watched it till its end. I tried to sort out my impressions so I took my time to settle my thoughts.. but the disapointment still remained.

The female lead was really disturbing. Her acting wasn´t even cute... only dumb. The result: As a viewer I couldn´t believe the story, which shouldn´t be the case of each good story.Every good written fiction should beacome in the eyes of the viewer at least just a little bit possible. It is a pity, that this disadvantage covered up all good sides of this drama. The other actors played their roles quite well. Maybe sometimes overdone but not the whole time.

For those, who are looking for something cute and funny, don´t have great expectations like I had, maybe you wan´t be so disappointed like I was.

MochiMin
Jan 7, 2012
I have already seen the korean and taiwanese version of this drama and I think this the japanese version is the worst. It was bearable in the begining but then it just was not tolerable. I had to stop looking is what I thought but I continued to see the outcome. I still did not hate or like it. Then what I did not like is the main leading girl I do not think the one they picked was the best for the role and her acting was exagerated and therefore I was not pleased.
darkn3ss
Oct 7, 2014
I mean after you read what is available of the manga, you wonder is there an drama or live adaptation! Well then you stumble upon this and at first there's many moment where you go WTF !! the Lead actress just scream too much, the guy playing Naoki is not even trying and the girl playing the the interference between Naoki and Kotoko just tries to much.
This adaptation was just very bad especially compare to the other show that came later on. I mean it's a good thing to watch on a rainy afternoon when you have totally realize that your computer is dead and that there's nothing worth to watch on T.V. Seriously it's good that they tried to be somewhat original but they just went totally out of the manga, the only thing that may be recognize is the characters name and just probably the fact that they family are somewhat the same too. I found this reviews that I wrote in 2010 and I was so struck by the fact that today in 2014 I still feel the same about this drama.

LadyEclair
Jun 1, 2011
since i allready saw the other 2 version of it this one did not reach my expectations. the story was way too compressed in those 9 eps, and since it didn`t follow the pattern it could`ve been better if they adjusted it so it will fit for 9 eps. it was funny allright but that`s all. i didn`t really like the acting, it was ordinary but Kotoko was way too noisy (as in too loud) i mean, why did she have to yell every single time?it was disturbing, i know that it`s her nature to make a fuss over anything but this kind of Kotoko was anoying even for me.they should`ve worked harder at it.

hiphop123
Dec 12, 2013
I mentioned in the INK~Love in Tokyo that I seen every version of this story. I forgot this version too. I've seen this drama as well.

This isn't my favorite version of this story, but it had some good things about this drama.

Story: I love the story, but it was so different from the original. But it's because the manga was still being written in 1996. The manga will forever be incomplete with no ending at all. The reason is that the author passed away(if you haven't known that, then that's the main reason that the story is so different). It's actually kind of more comedical(not as funny, but still).

Acting: I think Kashiwabara Takashi did pretty well as Naoki. He was so cold that I wanted to beat him because he was cold. There a few moments that he wasn't too cold. Sato Aiko got her role down. But I couldn't really relate to her. She was very annoying character. Aoki Shinsuke as Kin-chan didn't have much screen time at all because the story was still being written at the time. The person who played Yuki was pretty good as well.

Music: Not that memorable at all.

Rewatch: I didn't like the drama very much, but there were some good moments in the drama I would watch over again.

Remember, it's my opinion. If you disagree, that's fine with me.

asiandramafan
May 14, 2017
I don't like dramas showing girls following men like a stalker and become their pup. The male lead was horrid to the main lady from day 1. Later he had a change of heart but even after getting married he was horid. KOKOTO was sort of ugly. She was pushy etc. This drama is a nigjtmare. I thinj I'm too old for this type of dramas. My first and last j drama. Thanks to this i never want to see a j drama..
Kala
Mar 14, 2016
To start off, I've watched every live-action form of Itazura na kiss.I read the reviews before watching this one and I was expecting to be really disappointed. I sort of am because the ending did go by fast. I feel like they should of had more episodes. I did like that some of the stuff that happened in the others was cut out but Irie and Kotoko's relationship literally had no progression in the until the last episode. I did like that Kotoko stood up for herself a bit more in this one! It honestly didn't follow the manga that much. It wasn't that bad though, I wouldn't tell you not to watch it. It's alright. I do think the one who played Kotoko in this one was a bit too much but there's nothing I can do about that! LOL. I did find it hard in the 6th and 7th episode to keep watching this but I persevered through.I wish I would have watched this one first because I would've appreciated all the other versions so much. The 2013 Japanese version has been my favorite so please give it a try! I hope you found this a bit helpful. if you have any questions for me just kik me @ itsyagirlkala annyeonghasyo!

iloveDramasKJT
Apr 21, 2013
So I was expecting a little more, But disappointed to say it wasn't what I though it would turn out to be. It wasn't very good but there were some funny moments in their so guess that made me change my mind a little but not really The cast acting was very bad I mean not to judge but it just didn't feel like they had chemistry at all when I first watched ep1 I though wow Maybe it will be good but it's was very sort of decent sorry this was so not worth watching =(((((