Tonbi

Winnie
May 10, 2013
This is my first review so I will keep it simple. Tonbi is an incredible and heartwarming family drama which focused on the growing relationship between father and son. I loved how it represented the importance of family and how life's events and circumstances can weaken or strengthen family bonds. Yasu who was the father is such an entertaining character to watch. Never have I come across a character who made me laugh and cry at the same time. He is what I can only describe at best a Tsundere. His behaviour was unpredictable and often irrational. It is a wonder how he managed to have such a lovely and beautiful wife. There were moments in the show where I wanted to shake him so that he could come to his senses. His stubborness was frustrating to watch but at the same time you can't help but find him endearing and loveable as he learns the value of being a parent. Despite him being a real Baka no-one can deny his complete love and devotion to his son Akira. The acting by all the cast was fantastic and the instrumentals and OSTs which accompanied the series was beautiful. It was also wonderful to watch Akira grow and learn and to be a man in his own right. Relationships are never easy to manage and this also applies to parent and child relationships, they also need love and respect and the willingness to compromise and work through differences. No-one is perfect and this drama showed clearly the struggles of being a parent and that it is a continuous learning experience which in return becomes rewarding.

Overall this drama was a complete joy to watch and also very satisfying. It gave me an incredible and emotional experience and I can highly recommend this drama. It is worth investing 10 hours of your time to watch this lovely and heartwarming family story which totally captured my heart.

PrettyBrown_Eyes
Jun 3, 2013
I decided to watch this purely for Sato Takeru, I had little interest in the actually story but I was pleasantly surprised at how brilliant this series was!

For me the story was nothing special, a single parent raising his child with the help of his friends. It's not a plot that stands out to me but boy how wrong I was! The story was emotional, sweet and touching for beginning to end as we see the characters grow and learn through the course of their life. I loved the setting and the time period of the plot as it wasn't something I had expected - covering the childhood and adulthood of Akira. It gives the chance to bond with the character as you watch him grow into an adult and in turn grow to love them. For me, the story was executed flawlessly, there weren't any plot holes and any questions were answered. It's a slow paced and a slice of life kinda drama but there is never a dull moment.

As mentioned I watched this for Sato Takeru he was brilliant throughout the whole series. He played his role perfectly as such a complex character, who had experienced many downs in his life, in such a simplistic and innocent manner can be down to the actor. The child actors that played Akira were also brilliant as it can be difficult to carry the same character through various people, but these actors made it feel like they were all the same person.

But as the story develop my focus turned to Uchino Masaaki. He was wonderful playing the "dumb" dad he portrayed his character beautifully and realistically I've never seen any of his dramas but he was incredibly in this! He made me cry, laugh, cry, laugh, crying and laughing at the same time! His acting draws you into the story and despite my bias towards Takeru, Masaaki brought this story to life. A round of applaus to the supporting cast as well because without them the series would lose it's spark. The support from his friends are enviable when watching it you think "wow, I want friends like him." The whole casting had great chemistry and bonding there isn't much more I can compliment on cause it was simply brilliant.

The music is very simple and nothing memorable but does well in emphasising the emotions of the characters.

I will definitely be rewatching this series again because it's just beautifully made and well executed. For me it's a absolute gem! The story and acting ticked all the boxes for me parenthood, friendship, loss and growth through a genuine and realistic story. The bonding between friends, father and son was exceptionally beautiful. There was never a dull moment and before you know it you've already finished it and wanting more. The story was simple and geunine along with great characters and acting this is really a must watch! It makes you appreciate the things in life you take for granted.

mysecretsoul
Oct 15, 2013
"Tobi (tonbi) ga taka wo umu," translates literally as "a kite begetting a hawk." This Japanese expression is where the drama title originates, and such imagery is deeply ingrained in the story. But what do these words refer to ultimately? In simpler terms, "even common parents can give birth to an amazing child." This exactly what Tonbi approaches with the Sato Takeru character, but it is as much the story of the "kite," as the hawk. And if we apply the expression once more, even a simple story may give rise to a fine drama. Here, it does.

Viewers fresh from home or even on the cusp of building their own families may relate most to the tale dictated by Tonbi. The same might be said for those who, already having experienced much of life, are adjusting to empty nests. This drama builds an effectively nostalgic hometown backdrop, complete with unique landmarks and quirky, over-exaggerated denizens. With such a setting, themes and happenings are explored which remain universal despite whichever specific focus is placed on them. The result is a warm, emotional ride which is rather easy to connect with.

Several aspects struck me as slightly uneven nonetheless. The plot relies on various coincidences and, while I can allow for the fact that life sometimes hands out beautiful symmetry, there are too many to shrug. Many point out that Japan stumbles often with romantic love. As expected, few romantic relationships in Tonbi (including one which later becomes a major plot point) felt honestly loving. Because the true focus centers on bonds between parent and child, this is relatively forgivable. Lastly, much of the story is told by son Akira, either through flashbacks or as stories told to others. For the most part this works just fine, but these sequences frequently show characters from their own perspective. While it would be nice to have that level of insight in real life, this staggers somewhat strange. Even for a community of people as open as these, we rarely know everything others experience alone (especially our parents).

Near the start of Tonbi, I spent a reasonable amount of time deciding whether Uchino Masaaki was performing well. His Yasuo is larger than life, initially more like a dumb but lovable hound unable to control itself when excited than an actual person. Yet when all parts of his portrayal are placed together, brilliance flows forth. My favorite bits were his emotional revelations, becoming acquainted with the vulnerability and loneliness of the character. Sato Takeru improves every time I encounter him. His scenes often feel quite natural lately. While his Akira does not induce the same level of interest as Yasuo, the chemistry with Uchino-san makes this drama. A true degree of familial love seems to pass between them, whether they are sharing warm moments or standing in conflict.

Instrumental pieces in Tonbi are light and subtle. There are various gentle themes which play at pivotal moments, particularly those when a character is reminiscing or about to experience change. Overall suitable, the tender and unobtrusive way they are presented is simply wonderful. Fukuyama Masaharu provides the gorgeous theme ("Tanjobi ni wa Mashiro na Yuri wo"), with a voice that croons nostalgia with every syllable. Whenever it played during the final moments of an episode, my heart swelled.

helkwo
Jun 8, 2014
This is one of the most beautiful dramas I have ever watched. Every episode managed to evoke so much emotions that I had to have a box of tissues on stand by. Uchino Masaaki, Sato Takeru and all the other cast members did an amazing job of bringing a simple but beautifully written story to life. This drama is about life, love between a father and son and friendships. This is a thought provoking and heartfelt drama and I recommend you to watch it with the right mindset.