My latest wild theory.

Halfway through the show, all of the original Main Leads and Support Role Actors have shown up and as I once again update/supplement the Character Descriptions this week, things begin to fall into place.   I realize that although there is much more to be revealed, the major pieces of foundation are laid out.  The timeline is important, although the writers are playing rather loose with everything based upon “20 years ago” and “10 years ago”.

20-21 years ago:

Jang Kang was a “genius mage”.  For one year, he “did not come home.”   (it’s not clear if he was away from home during that time or simply practicing spells)

He unsealed the ice stone.  He practiced spells with Jin Mu in the Secret Room

After his failure with “Geom”, Jang Kang told Jin Mu he was stopping, but was ordered by King Go Seong to do a soul swap.

Do-Wha became pregnant (according to Do-joo, he stopped at this point). 

Jang Uk was born “with the Kings Star”.  A child born when that star appears will have “the energy of the Kings Star”.  The Kings Star only reveals itself when the sky is filled w/the energy of the Daeho waters. It appeared on April 1st of year One of the King Go Soon regime.

Jin Bu-yeon was born.  (This is based on: (i) Bu-yeon disappeared about ten years ago and (ii) the actress playing young Bu-yeon is 11 years old).  She is a descendent of Jin Seolran, the founder of Jinyowon.  Her “divine powers are truly astonishing”. We do not know her birthdate or what her constellation plate might reflect.

Jang Kang sealed the ice stone, sealed Jang Uk’s energy gate and fled.

Theory:  When the “Heavens” (God-like” ancestors?) saw that Jang Kang had unsealed the ice stone and was practicing sorcery with it, they knew what chaos might result.  So, they ensured that two people would be born that would have the ENERGY to ensure that Daeho would not return to the chaos and bloodshed of 200 years ago.   Those two people are Jang Uk (born with the energy of the Kings Star”) and Jin Bu-yeon  (who has truly astonishing powers). 

Jang Uk’s destiny is to become the greatest mage of Daeho.  Jin Bu-yeon’s destiny is to help Jang Uk reach his destiny  - right now, all she can do is protect him and ensure his safety while he continues to strengthen his mage skills/levels.  Together their job is to retrieve the ice stone, seal it back up and ensure that Daeho remains a stable country.

Both destinies were twisted when (1) Jang Kang sealed his son’s energy gate (and fled) and (2) Jin Mu attacked JBY and she disappeared.  And in another twist of fate, Naksu – the assassin trained by Jin Mu -  has brought them back together.

Kathryn_51:
Jang Uk’s destiny is to become the greatest mage of Daeho.  Jin Bu-yeon’s destiny is to help Jang Uk reach his destiny  - right now, all she can do is protect him and ensure his safety while he continues to strengthen his mage skills/levels.  Together their job is to retrieve the ice stone, seal it back up and ensure that Daeho remains a stable country.

Both destinies were twisted when (1) Jang Kang sealed his son’s energy gate (and fled) and (2) Jin Mu attacked JBY and she disappeared.  And in another twist of fate, Naksu – the assassin trained by Jin Mu -  has brought them back together.

Great analysis Kathryn. 

Im thinking this way too... but we have yet to discover about Jang Kang. Must be more to his story. 

Kathryn_51 
Sweet. Great theory. What a passion you have for this show. 👍👏👏👏

Edited:

Ohh, emojis are seen as questions marks when someone quoted.

Kathryn_51

Wow, thank you for your theory. I laughed when you mentioned the actress who portrayed young Bu Yeon is 11 years old. *hehe* You even went the extra length to check her real age XD. Maybe Bu Yeon was around that age when she disappeared. We already knew Jang Uk is 20 years old, Naksu is 20+ years old cuz her family got massacred when she looked like she was around 4-5 years old. But maybe we might get her exact age in the future.

Reading everyone’s theories and also rewatched from the beginning again :D

After MD/Naksu/JBY unsheathed the sword in Lake G, MD/Naksu said she needs someone who has the same powerful energy as the lake to push out the energy within her - Uk’s reply was who would wanna help her when she’s an assassin (+ soul shifter).

Will JBY help MD/Naksu if/when she changes for “good” and their goals align towards Jin Mu (?), since she has the power to conceal and reveal her powerful energy? 

So why or what did Jang Gang mean when he said that if Uk chooses to discover his fate instead, he will not survive? Hint of where the story will lead? 

And some are saying the ending’s not gonna be what we “like” :( — will MD/Naksu sacrifice for Uk? Since JBY has to be found to resolve the imposter friend issue, reveal Jin Mu as the mastermind and unfold the mystery of the Danju/queen, eventually, MD/Naksu’s soul has to ‘go’ right? Unless it’s the other wild theory of merging of souls… 

ok ffw to the recent Ep10 when MD/Naksu was racing to the end as part of the test to work at Songrim, she acknowledged that she must do what she can at the moment with her physical body - will she then “retrain”? Or where will this lead..

And that cliffhanger of Park Jin having some kinda MD revelation- can’t wait for ep11!!

jac:
So why or what did Jang Gang mean when he said that if Uk chooses to discover his fate instead, he will not survive? Hint of where the story will lead? 

Good points !!

im really going crazy about this Jang Kang´s story...as i said before there must be much more to his story.  Is his just afraid that the Crown will kill Uk? If so why block his energy?

Actually i think we have so much to discover, we are halfway through the serie and 10 episodes can bring sooo much plots and twists. 

Cau:
Is his just afraid that the Crown will kill Uk? If so why block his energy?

Jang Gang is afraid of UK's power getting known that's why he blocked his energy.

But I think the main reason why he blocked the Uk's power was to make sure he didn't attract any attention cos Uk's was born of a soul-shifter. So, 'good' mages would try to kill the Uk cos it's sorcery. Being the enemy of mages would be worse than fighting against the throne.

Or Jang Gang just wanted to take revenge on the late king by letting the king's son, Uk suffer. Crushing the late king's desire.

Ahead:
Jang Gang is afraid of UK's power getting known that's why he blocked his energy.

But I think the main reason why he blocked the Uk's power was to make sure he didn't attract any attention cos Uk's was born of a soul-shifter. So, 'good' mages would try to kill the Uk cos it's sorcery. Being the enemy of mages would be worse than fighting against the throne.

But just because he is practing and learning magic the others mages would not discover that he was born of a soul shifter.  He did attract attention by being blocked by his own father who was the great mage at the time. 

The main thing here is he  was born “with the Kings Star”.  

But i think we are about to discover more info because there is a mistery in Jang Kang story . Why was he obsessed in soul shift? Why blocked Uks Power? To protect him from what, just the crown?  Why he left? 

Ahead:
Or Jang Gang just wanted to take revenge on the late king by letting the king's son, Uk suffer. Crushing the late king's desire.

This could be. But if Jang Kang did just because of this i would be totally disappointed !

Cau:
But just because he is practing and learning magic the others mages would not discover that he was born of a soul shifter. He did attract attention by being blocked by his own father who was the great mage at the time.

I mean, because UK is very talented he will attract attention and people might find out that he was born out of a soul-shifter eventually. Even if people don't know that the UK was born under the king's star or born out of a soul-shifter, Jin Mu is definitely going to reveal that fact as a last resort to win.

Jang Gang and Jin Mu were masters and pupils before so Jang Gang let Jin Mu live. In return, he is not revealing that UK is a soul-shifter son for now.

Well, that's just my opinion on why Jang Gang did all those bad things to Uk. There are still 10 episodes left to find out Jang Gang's true intention. But then again, blocking his son's energy gate and leaving his own son for over 20 years is too much.

Ahead:
Jang Gang and Jin Mu were masters and pupils before so Jang Gang let Jin Mu live. In return, he is not revealing that UK is a soul-shifter son for now.

Oh do you think so?  But Jang Kang didnt know that Jin Mu is "evil"... he was just learning at that time.

Ahhh do you mean he would have kill Jin Mu  because he know about the Uks secret of soul shift? 

Omg guys, i dont think Jang Kang is bad. I dont know why he was soul shifting people but there is a reason im sure.  

Ahead:
But then again, blocking his son's energy gate and leaving his own son for over 20 years is too much.

Yes, for sure. 

Lets wait.  :)

jac:
And some are saying the ending’s not gonna be what we “like” :( — will MD/Naksu sacrifice for Uk?

Well, I am on Team JBY and my biggest fear is that she will be the sacrificial lamb - they are already portraying her as "foolishly" kind - which I take to mean, if said by a normal person, "overwhelmingly kind and generous."

Cau:
Im thinking this way too... but we have yet to discover about Jang Kang. Must be more to his story. 

I just watched a video where they theorized that the key is Naksu's father - they wonder if HE is related to Master Seo Gyeong and this would explain why Naksu and JBY joined up.  But Naksu was born several years before the ice stone was unsealed by Jang Kang (presumably) so it doesn't fit with this current theory.  :-)so, I agree with you that it goes back to Jang Kang.  

Ahead:
Sweet. Great theory. What a passion you have for this show. ????

I enjoy mysteries - the story, the hints/clues and the solution - provided it all makes sense in the end.

Kathryn_51

omg. So sry. I missed typed question marks. I just noticed now. 

Just figured out that windows 10 emojis turned into ??? when quoted or maybe cos I am on the phone rn.

Cau

Bye. Have a nice day.

Kathryn_51:

Well, I am on Team JBY and my biggest fear is that she will be the sacrificial lamb - they are already portraying her as "foolishly" kind - which I take to mean, if said by a normal person, "overwhelmingly kind and generous."

I just watched a video where they theorized that the key is Naksu's father - they wonder if HE is related to Master Seo Gyeong and this would explain why Naksu and JBY joined up.  But Naksu was born several years before the ice stone was unsealed by Jang Kang (presumably) so it doesn't fit with this current theory.  :-)so, I agree with you that it goes back to Jang Kang.  

I enjoy mysteries - the story, the hints/clues and the solution - provided it all makes sense in the end. 

I have the same theory about JBY, she will be a sacrificial lamb, especially since the rumor of part 2 will not include JSM. I hope a happy ending for both Naksu dan the real Mudeok/JBY; but it seems unlikely to happen. 

Still hope that part 2 will have JSM, even as a cameo.  

At this point I'm not expecting for a "happy" ending and I think it's highly likely that JBY will sacrifise herself and while that happens somehow naksu's soul will transfer to her old body. Butt this will happen only if part 2 is the sequel of part 1. If part 2 shows their life before part 1, then JBY and Naksu will both die since they're in the same body)

Fellow alchemists

I was rewatching the first scene again because of some comments yesterday...

And i think i got it. The Danju.

My theory its the mysterious woman from first ep. The mother of Geon, the soul shifter.  Actress Yeom Hye Ran. 

I already wrote here that i think they must be linked to the Chois.  But now i think she is the Queen herself.  Around the same age, gender, bio.  

So of course the Queen is the Danju but is soul shifted with the Geon´s mother soul who wants to destroy Songrim because of Jang Kang. 

Its just a guess! But it will be buried here after this weekend episodes. Lol. 

In fact i was hoping for someone else, other villain, lets see....