This actually goes for both Korean and Chinese historical/period dramas.

Can you recommend any historical dramas but with less focus on the ladies of the court?

It's probably my fault watching back to back to back k/c historical dramas that has a lot of ladies plotting in the inner court lol (evil princesses, empresses, consorts, concubines, etc)

Hello.. This are highly recommended.. 

1. Nirvana in Fire
2. The Disguiser
3. Battle of Changsha...
Thank you! I will check them out :D
Cuo Dian Yuan Yang ---  None
Sound of the Desert 
--- Very minor, a side story
Scarlet Heart --- Not the ladies, but succession is the background
Prince of Lan Ling --- King succession, but no court ladies drama.

Republican Era
Battle of Changsha
Too Late to say I Love You
The Disguiser
Thanks guys :D

Is Cecilia Lu always in historic dramas? xD

More obscure:

Lady & Liar
General and I
The Myth
The Mystic Nine
The Diguiser 
Battle of Changsha
Sound of the Desert 
Rookie Agent Rouge 

Nirvana in Fire
Young Warriors of Yang Clan

These are all Chinese Dramas (& I watched on Drama Fever). I also love historical dramas, but I hate the ones that are all the female characters fighting for some old man. 

Have you tried Legend of the Condor Heroes and Return of the Condor Heroes? My favorite versions are probably the 1980's HK version.  I haven't seen the other remakes, so I can't really reccomend which version. I know they just made a new version 2017. 

Michia Lei:

Nirvana in Fire
Young Warriors of Yang Clan

Young Warriors of Yang Clan is fully subbed on Viki at the moment. I just finished that drama as well. It's really good, and great cast. 

Antonin:
Thanks guys :D

Is Cecilia Lu always in historic dramas? xD

She does pick the good ones! LOL. I saw her filmography, and she has a few modern dramas. 

Kimberly:

Young Warriors of Yang Clan is fully subbed on Viki at the moment. I just finished that drama as well. It's really good, and great cast. 

Thank you so much Kim.