Tags could have an automated suggested tag (like in tumblr) so as they could just click on that instead of typing the whole thing with wrong spellings.

Ceki:

I can't find it now lmao I thought it was MangaFox but now that I look at it... the poor thing doesn't seem like it. 

do you mean bakaupdates. I think it already closed down

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 SarahEm:

It still up: https://www.mangaupdates.com/categories.html

@Hessa Really? They said they were closing down over a year ago.

SarahEm:

Honestly I don't remember. I think it was MangaFox, they're closing this month if they didn't already. But their search now doesn't look like what I remember. 

It doesn't matter, I agree with Pantheria, it would be easier for users to pick a tag from a set than to type in themselves.

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 Ceki:
It doesn't matter, I agree with Pantheria, it would be easier for users to pick a tag from a set than to type in themselves.

Mangaupdates is like that. You pick the tag, if it doesn't exist, you type it and add it to the tag database.

Ceki:
I think it was MangaFox, they're closing this month

Mangafox never had a tag system (been using it for years). Also, the forum is closing, not the website.

I'm guessing there isn't a way to tie tags together? Like... if someone looked up "crime drama", then things like "police" and "courtroom" could also come up as search results.

Sort of like how google has the "did you mean -----?"

Hessa Volunteer Staff

The search works now, but I noticed that there are tags that are not used. They should be removed if no page uses them.

I went over some of them and removing the misspelled and duplicate tags. The only thing that is needed is adding a tag index for staff so that I can easily do that.

Also, the thing needed now is to choose whether to use singular or plural form. My suggest is add (s) at the end, so that it can be used as both singular and plural.

Personally, I think there is no need to have tags pre-approved since staff will go over the submission either way. What we need is a guideline, so that us, users and staff, know what is acceptable or not and avoid adding tags that the admins don't want.

Tags are supposed to be fun and a good way for users to fix drama/movies they are looking for. They just need to be monitored for duplicates and misspellings. Even the manga website people keep referring to is the same, you add tags and the staff monitor for any duplicates and misspellings, without pre-approval or not being restrictive with choosing what can be added and what is not.

I agree with Hessa that a guideline should be added to know what is acceptable and what not, that saves time and avoids mistakes.

I only have one question left, apparently on every drama page we can only see at most 5 tags, although there are actually more but are 'hidden'? Will it always be like that? because I can't see the rest of the tags except when clicking on 'edit tags'

Malu:

I agree with Hessa that a guideline should be added to know what is acceptable and what not, that saves time and avoids mistakes.

I only have one question left, apparently on every drama page we can only see at most 5 tags, although there are actually more but are 'hidden'? Will it always be like that? 

There will be a more button soon. The thing is that some tags can also be spoilers...

Skye-N-Rain:
The thing is that some tags can also be spoilers...

About that...Can "Major Character Death" be a tag? Someone people would prefer to know about it before watching a drama, while some would prefer not to see the spoiler.

Can I add name of production company as a tag? I don't want to do it only to be rejected. =)

SarahEm:

About that...Can "Major Character Death" be a tag? Someone people would prefer to know about it before watching a drama, while some would prefer not to see the spoiler.

My personal opinion is that Spoilery tags shouldn't be allowed.

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 Igemona:

Can I add name of production company as a tag? I don't want to do it only to be rejected. =)

If we can add production company later, just like TV channel, that would be better than making the tags more complicated.

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 Skye-N-Rain:

There will be a more button soon. The thing is that some tags can also be spoilers...

If I remember correctly, I never received tags like main lead death. Users are, usually, not set on spoiling the show for others. Most tags are just general tags (Highschool / Time Travel). If you did not watch the drama/movie and only saw 1-2 word-length tag, it would not spoil anything, even it was a spoiler, you would not know since 1-2 words are too general and you did not watch the drama/movie.

Example, let's assume I added "suicide" to a drama/movie tags, you would not know if it happened at the beginning or end, or if it is a spoiler or not since you did not watch it. However, even if it happened at the end you would not even remember the tags while watching (it is not like a checklist you keep going over while watching). But the important thing is that you warned people who are sensitive toward topics like suicide. 

I have been using the tags in the manga website, for years now, and I have never been spoiled at all. They are mostly used for the search, not relay the entire plot. Moreover, almost all the tags added by users are from the synopsis or first couple of episode (most of them included a note saying that). We can always add a note under the tag box, to ask users not to add spoilers. In addition, no one bothers reading all of the tags, they are mostly for people looking for a specific thing in a movie or drama. 

The presumable problem of spoilery tags, would not be fixed even if we add pre-accepted tags, cause that also can be done in 1 step, instead of 2, when monitoring while approving.

Also, if it is about spoilers, why don't we remove the "Tragedy" genre? This is the biggest spoiler we have since you know one of the main characters will die.