Hessa:

If we can add production company later, just like TV channel, that would be better than making the tags more complicated.

Got it!

SarahEm:

About that...Can "Major Character Death" be a tag? Someone people would prefer to know about it before watching a drama, while some would prefer not to see the spoiler.

Personally speaking, I think a tag like that would be useful, especially if we want to create a better recommendation system. Tags like that would have to be on the more page though, or hidden somehow [under a spoiler tag?] [Hover to view?]

Skye-N-Rain:
Tags like that would have to be on the more page though, or hidden somehow [under a spoiler tag?] [Hover to view?]

Maybe not [Hover to View], it could be shown be accident if people accidentally let their cursors hover over it. I like [Hidden] more.

I don't appreciate spoilers, but before I watch a drama, I always make sure that it doesn't have stuff like "Major Character Death" or "Rape" in it. I don't consider them spoilers. To me, they're more like warnings.  I've also noticed that many other users research dramas for stuff like this before watching a drama, so I thought that tags like this would be slightly different than other normal spoiler tags.

Skye-N-Rain:

Personally speaking, I think a tag like that would be useful, especially if we want to create a better recommendation system. Tags like that would have to be on the more page though, or hidden somehow [under a spoiler tag?] [Hover to view?]

Just gonna voice my agreement with the fact this should be hidden as a spoiler (maybe add a thing like "plot point spoilers"?). I personally love guessing if one of the mains will die and stuff like that I'd rather not know beforehand (granted, if there's a tragedy genre tag it's a giveaway but that's a different story).

But for stuff like "rape" and "suicide" you might be able to add a "trigger warning" category?

Skye-N-Rain:

Another idea is having the most used (or all) tags appear on the edit genre/tag page, and then allow users to just click on them to add them vs writing them in. They would be able to write them in if they don't appear already? 

I think that this would help cut down on the repeats. If the tag already exists, it could show up as a suggestion as they are typing, so they can just click it to fill in and submit.

They have a similar feature on Wordpress, which makes my life easier as a blogger. haha

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 Sleepninja:

I think that this would help cut down on the repeats. If the tag already exists, it could show up as a suggestion as they are typing, so they can just click it to fill in and submit.

They have a similar feature on Wordpress, which makes my life easier as a blogger. haha

That has already been added to MDL. We just need the duplicates to be removed.

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 Skye-N-Rain:

Skye, you know how we have the trailer panel? We can have tags appear like that and have the number of usages. Then like what we have on the trailer for subs (True/False), have an option like that for tags that can be spoilerish, such as main lead death. Those tags then always appear like this, unless you click on it.

Tag                                        # of usages                             Spoiler

Main Lead Death                            ????                                         True                          Edit

Disaster                                           ????                                         Flase                        Edit

So we're leaning towards using a tag system similiar to what Anilist has: https://anilist.co/browse/anime?tags=Primarily%20Female%20Cast&sort=score-desc 

As you can see, the main categories there are:

Theme

Cast

Setting

Technical

Demographic

and they have countless sub categories, and sub-sub-categories.  Any recommendations on what our main categories/sub-categories should be? 

Skye-N-Rain:
 Any recommendations on what our main categories/sub-categories should be?

I like this format. Tropes could be another sub-category

SarahEm:

Tropes could be another sub-category

Can you give some examples? 

Just the popular tropes, like First Love, Tragic Past, Love Hate Relationship, Love Triangle, Second Chance Love, e.t.c. In other words, just the most common drama cliches

Hmm, perhaps.  But then the question is what happens to the rest of the tags.

What are the key elements of a drama or a film? I've come up with:

- Setting 

-Tropes ( That one was yours) 

-Type of Romance

I feel like Cast + Demographics don't really fit as much for live-action stuff. The vast majority of Dramas and Films are not going to have all-male or all-female casts, nor do we have dramas geared towards women? Or if we do, a lot of men like myself like them as well. 

What do you mean by main categories, the genres?  I think they're fine just the way they are.

As for tags... http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DramaTropes

lol  some of them are a bit too much imo

Ceki:

What do you mean by main categories, the genres?  I think they're fine just the way they are.

As for tags... http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DramaTropes

lol  some of them are a bit too much imo

No,  I mean 'Themes/Setting/ Cast/  Setting/Technical/ Demographic

Yeah, I agree, Cast and Demographics are tags more suited towards people filtering for Anime/Manga.

I do see a lot of people adding tags like  Second Lead Syndrome, Bromance, Sismance. I'm not sure  if those fit in the tropes category, but since they are used a lot there should be a subcategory for them.