Pyeon-Eun-Jeong wrote: Watch 'Tere Bin Laden' first....this is a great movie....a real comedy and actor who played role of duplicate of Bin Laden is just incredible.

sounds fun
Rourou wrote: Bollywood is Khan !! <3

SRK no.1 Khan

BTW you forgot add no.2 Khan

Pyeon-Eun-Jeong wrote: SRK no.1 Khan

BTW you forgot add no.2 Khan

Oh, Amir khan <3 and yes Shahrukh is the best !
bokami wrote: all izz well

LOL

Silencer :D
Dojemi10 VIPCommunity Manager
Go and watch Delhi Belly <3 teehee~! :'D
oh my my..i never knew Bokami watched Bolly films...(O_O)
They have a lot of really nice songs. =)
I am Indian so I grew up with Bollywood movies. When I was in elementary school and in middle school, I was really into them. I didn't have a favorite actor or actress ... it was just a bonding time for my family and cousins. In high school, I lost my interest with Bollywood. I have never really been a fan of super long movies and tons of music and dancing, whether it's in Hindi or in English. I just watch a few movies here and there ... and end up hitting the fast forward button a lot. I cannot stand SRK (he's a greasy actor) and item numbers. Indian arthouse films are definitely worth checking out and there are some really good (in terms of plot and acting and cinematography rather than just visual appeal of actors and dance moves) films coming out of regional Indian scenes. They are more character driven, more gritty since they usually don't go for the "glitzy" Bollywood stars, and tell compelling human stories. Having said all that, my favorite Indian actresses are those who can pull off a character. Konkona Sen Sharma, Rani Mukherjee and Vidya Balan are all quite talented. And I think that Ranbir Kapoor is a talented actor ... just his projects are not my cup of tea. I am looking forward to watching "Barfi!". :)
My only exposure to Bollywood movies is through netflix and I have had a mix of good and bad ones. Funny and rather boring ones. My favorite was Chance pe Dance but i would love be expose to more music/movies.
rad_lisette wrote: I am Indian so I grew up with Bollywood movies. When I was in elementary school and in middle school, I was really into them. I didn't have a favorite actor or actress ... it was just a bonding time for my family and cousins.

In high school, I lost my interest with Bollywood. I have never really been a fan of super long movies and tons of music and dancing, whether it's in Hindi or in English. I just watch a few movies here and there ... and end up hitting the fast forward button a lot. I cannot stand SRK (he's a greasy actor) and item numbers.

Indian arthouse films are definitely worth checking out and there are some really good (in terms of plot and acting and cinematography rather than just visual appeal of actors and dance moves) films coming out of regional Indian scenes. They are more character driven, more gritty since they usually don't go for the "glitzy" Bollywood stars, and tell compelling human stories.

Having said all that, my favorite Indian actresses are those who can pull off a character. Konkona Sen Sharma, Rani Mukherjee and Vidya Balan are all quite talented.
And I think that Ranbir Kapoor is a talented actor ... just his projects are not my cup of tea. I am looking forward to watching "Barfi!".

:)

Are there any arthouse movies that you recommend?

I used to watch maybe one or two a year. My first was Bride and Prejudice since it was released in Movie theaters in the US in 2005. This year I got a netflix account when I was bored of kdramas so I decided to rent some Bollywood movies for a change. I lost count of how many I've watched so far, starting with 3 Idiots with Aamir Khan. I liked Ghaijini. Very Jason Bourne.

I would pick out an actor and then go through their works, like Sharmon Joshi who starred in 3 Idiots with Khan. I kinda like him as an actor. Has a smart look, but leading man roles. I came across Sorry Bhai where he starred with Chitrangada Singh and it's crazy but I wrote a novel during NanoWrimo 2 years ago and the woman I pictured while writing looks like her! She's beautiful.

Once the string of Gaksital/Ghost/I Need Romance started, I killed my netflix because movies were just sitting around. Now that they are over, I may pick it up again and check out more Nicolette...I mean Chitrangada haha.
My Indian arthouse recc's are:

Vanaja
Mr. and Mrs. Iyer
15 Park Avenue
Water (Deepa Mehta)

There are more but nothing that I can remember off the top of my head.

Also there are tons of films that are not arthouse films but they are not mainstream Bollywood fare either.
Peepli Live
LSD
Chillar Party
Chandni Bar
Maqbool
Being Cyrus
My Brother ... Nikhil

I find a lot of the films that I watch like you do ... except I go through directors instead of actors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_Cinema

Btw, I loved Ghaijani (both versions) soo much. I really enjoyed the Tamil version more ... because I enjoy Suriya's work.

:)

Hope this helps.
i hope Barfi and OMG OH MY GOD.....proves their hype gonna watch it with BD copy later
bokami wrote: i hope Barfi and OMG OH MY GOD.....proves their hype

gonna watch it with BD copy later

Maybe Barfi is hyped but OMG is really good movie...
i am an indian and i dont watch bollywood :D i like j/k dramas better !