Bollywood is the informal term popularly used for the Hindi-language film industry based in Mumbai (formerly known as Bombay), Maharashtra, India. The term is often incorrectly used to refer to the whole of Indian cinema; it is only a part of the total Indian film industry, which includes other production centers producing films in regional languages.Bollywood is the largest film producer in India and one of the largest centers of film production in the world.

The name "Bollywood" is derived from Bombay (the former name for Mumbai) and Hollywood, the center of the American film industry. However, unlike Hollywood, Bollywood does not exist as a physical place. Though some deplore the name, arguing that it makes the industry look like a poor cousin to Hollywood, it has its own entry in the Oxford English Dictionary.

The term "Bollywood" has origins in the 1970s, when India overtook America as the world's largest film producer. Credit for the term has been claimed by several different people, including the lyricist, filmmaker and scholar Amit Khanna, and the journalist Bevinda Collaco.

The naming scheme for "Bollywood" was inspired by "Tollywood", the name that was used to refer to the cinema of West Bengal. Dating back to 1932, "Tollywood" was the earliest Hollywood-inspired name, referring to the Bengali film industry based in Tollygunge, whose name is reminiscent of "Hollywood" and was the center of the cinema of India at the time.

Bollywood is formally referred to as Hindi cinema. There has been a growing presence of Indian English in dialogue and songs as well. It is common to see films that feature dialogue with English words (also known as Hinglish), phrases, or even whole sentences. --Wikipedia

----------------------------------

I know a few people from here love them, so discuss your favorites to your heart's content, but be considerate of others and any spoilers you might want to post enclose them in the white font code to hide them or remember to post a SPOILER warning.

Talk Away!
---------------------------------------------
Movie Info:

Mujhse Fraandship Karoge by beca <3
Hum Tum
Mere Brother ki Dulhan
Jaane Tu.......Ya Jaane Naa
I Hate Luv Storys
Aisha
Ladies Vs. Ricky Bahl
Agneepath
I just say one word, or rather picture:

Shahrukh Khan
I have yet to watch any Bollywood, but I definitely want to! It's exactly the type of stuff I love. Singing and dancing alongside acting. :D
Heck, yes! ?Bollywood is very entertaining and colourful. I love SRK's movies myself. preferably with Kajool. They have good working chemistry. I really liked Chak de India. But what started it for me was Khabie Kushie, I really liked the story. what's your favourite from SRK?
Yeah, but I think you have to fancy the type of dancing and singing, otherwise four hours
can be extremely long.

I just recently watched Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham. It airs quite often here - I have already
watched it a couple of times. :)
So, is that your first bolly movie, then? SRK;s expressions are just priceless. My name is Khan was excellent. Try Main hoon na- it's hilarious, with all the over the top action scenes. Makes for a fabulous watch with friends for having fun for a night of marathoning movies.
Yes, my first - but not my last. lol I've watched a lot of movies with him. I am just really bad with remembering the names - they either have German names or the original ones - and I am hopeless with that. What's Main hoon na about? Oh well, I can picture it :)
WOW :O ... bollywood fans eh ! :) am glad to meet you all here.. My husband cant stand SRK :( ... but i like him in so many movies... i loved him in DEVDAS... and Kal ho na ho ..and so many more.. i also like Amir and Salman khan .. Hritik can be really handsome at times ...

I adore these group dances. And the colourful clothes.
Nikki wrote: Yes, my first - but not my last. lol I've watched a lot of movies with him.
I am just really bad with remembering the names - they either have German names or the original ones - and I am hopeless with that.

What's Main hoon na about? Oh well, I can picture it :)

The german title for mein hoon na is: Ich Bin Immer Für Dich Da. It;s about an army mayor that gets back to school to protect a daughter of a general and possibly get her closer to him and he is also looking for his brother, because of his father's past mistakes.

You know, you can try looking up original or English titles through wikipedia, goiung from their German page to the one of your choice, Nikki, it may be then easier for you.

Biya: I absolutely love SRK lol. Have;t seen Devas yet, but yes he exaggerates a lot but these exaggerated expressions make him adorable. I really liked him in the film where he pretended to be younger to woo his newly married wife. Forgot the title.

I really like preity zinta. She's pretty! And Rani Mukerjee Hritihik was fabulous in jodhaa akbar.

Also...I really liked one movie about crossdressing with Rani and that cutie pie, Shahid Kapoor. It was called Dil Bole Hadippa! Fun movie!
Bladey yoiu have to watch Devdas .. it is a very beautiful , full of glamour , real story , well acted.. unique yet very sad love story .. YOU MUST SEE IT .... "orders around :D :D ... that movie u mentioned about SRk pretending to be young was called Rab ne bana di Jodi :) did u watch 3 idiots ?? its a hilarious movie with Amir khan in it.. ahahaha .. am loving all this bollywood chat with you all :D
Bladey wrote: The german title for mein hoon na is: Ich Bin Immer Für Dich Da. It;s about an army mayor that gets back to school to protect a daughter of a general and possibly get her closer to him and he is also looking for his brother, because of his father's past mistakes.

You know, you can try looking up original or English titles through wikipedia, goiung from their German page to the one of your choice, Nikki, it may be then easier for you.

I will check it out! (And it's only 175min - that's relatively short)

I've seen 3 idiots being ranked as one of the best Bollywood movies ever.
Is it really that good?
:-) Ah yes, Rab ne Bana di Jodi. Did you watch Asoka? It was a great story. I also liked Ver Zaara. I believe Devdas are somewhere on my Bolly pTW lists lol. No, I don;t think I have seen this one. Laat one I watched was something called Just married, a pretty standard, but not unpleasant fare. and I hate luv stories, starring Slaman;s Khan;s nephew, Imhran Khan, I believe. And Salman and SRK are always antagonistic towards another so that movie I have luv stories as well as another with that newphew, I think it was Jaane Tu... are hilarious parodies of SRK' s movies. There is also a few others : I like Abishek Bachnana and both of his parents. I also have a soft spot for Akshay Kumar. I liked Saif Ali Khan in Parineeta. One of the most hilarious things in any bollywood film is for me: wind blowing dramatically inside any home lol.
Bladey wrote:

One of the most hilarious things in any bollywood film is for me: wind blowing dramatically inside any home lol.

Never noticed that, rofl.
Oh, don;t you remember, SpoILER in WHITE.....in KKKG>>>>>when Hrithink enters his older broter's apartment in London for the first time? THere is wind lol. like serious wind lol, too much for a breeze from opening the door...and I think the door was not leading outside, since it was apartement <<<<<<........... And there are plenty of examples, there was one inanother mobvie with Hrithik, where that wind was most previaling lol