virgievirgie:

Welcome, hoshthegoat!  I placed Gu Family Book in my PTW not too long ago.  Mm... I sorta read your spoiler tag now I hesitate.  LOL

Thanks for the welcomes ^^

Sorry about that, you should still watch it though since it's still a pretty good drama overall.

@ WishUponAStar   

Thank you and thank you and thank you! You are an MDL-er after my own heart! 

The Historical vs Costume vs Period Drama situation: being more specific helps (and hopefully, MDLers read the voting instructions).  Additionally, whoever makes that list would have to accept entries,  and then go through each one to be sure the entries are on the appropriate list.  This would take more than one person, for sure. 

Also, it's hard to create a Hall of Fame with so many new titles each year.  Maybe a list that limits titles to those before the current year?

The problem with the number of items on the list was my inability to add titles. 75 should have been 50, but I couldn't make it happen, but I could make 25 happen; same with the final round (that's why virgievirgie came to the rescue) 

I agree with the 2 weeks. 

I wonder whether HDC could to a best of the year list?  

Also, I'm not doing it alone next time!  hahahah 

💙

smurf:

Mr Queen was always in the top 3 or 5 but it was on the historical list and moved to the period list in the third round so I assume that is why it wasn't high on the list

correct

smurf:

I remember seeing it brought up a while ago but I believe it was moved because of the Time Travel & Body Swap stuff I could be wrong though

that is correct! :)

Wish Upon A Star:

I see now in the Comments for HDC Period Drama Round 2 that Mr Queen was moved to the Historical Round 3 list. I suspect it was probably deleted from Period Round 2 list as it did not show up in that list and only showed a list of 20 dramas (instead of 25 dramas), likely due to deletions of titles that were moved to another list?

For the records, it is probably better not to delete from Period Round 2 and added to Historical Round 3. Also Round 2 should have the list checked based on definition of Historical or Period and finalised from Round 1. Maybe can have a small team working and discussing together on the categorisation for each drama for the next Hall of Fame?

Yes: small team.  Yes yes yes.  and, YES :)

Out of the top 3 of each category, I've watched 2 on both -- I plan to watch "The Red Sleeve" for a challenge this year, and maaayybe I'll watch Mr Queen one day, too!! :) 

Also, I agree that the description of the lists needed more clarifying, and maybe renaming "Period drama" list to "Costume drama" list would help understanding the meaning better? Just my 2 cents. 

In any case, I would personally consider this whole 1st attempt at a HDC Hall of Fame a success! No matter if people agreed with the results, despite the various issues (e.g lists not updating), and even if the voters weren't that many, it sparked (and it continues to do so) plenty of interesting discussions here in HDC, and initiated quite a few new members here as well! And of course it gave us a ton of new recommendations for what to watch next!! :)) 

@kYuBin Thanks for the explanation.

Nienna:
Also, I'm not doing it alone next time!  hahahah

I'd be happy to pitch in in the future. :)

Yes same, I'd gladly help if needed for future events. ;)

We help each other out and i agree with Estelll that this inaugural attempt is a success nonetheless!

Taking into consideration both Nienna's and Estelll's points, shall we have the next Hall of Fame in the following format? Comments?

S/NItemDetailsRemarks
1WhenJan 2023So that new drama aired in 2022 have a chance to make it to the HDC Hall of Fame
2Round 1

Just one category only for both Historical-Historical and Historical-Fiction for Round 1

No list limit for display

No vote limit for each voter (i.e. up to 100 votes)

Voting rounds to Hall of Fame, including 2 voting lists from Round 2 to be clearly indicated in the list description

Voting period for Round 1 to be clearly indicated in the list description

Purpose is to cast the net wide and for voters to vote freely based on the dramas they feel deserving to be in the HDC Hall of Fame.

The HDC small team to discuss and categorise the dramas from Round 1 into 2 lists (Historical-Historical and Historical-Fictional) for Round 2. i.e. Top 25 Historical-Historical dramas (by points) from Round 1 goes to Round 2 Historical-Historical and Top 25 Historical-Fictional dramas (by points) from Round 1 goes to Round 2 Historical-Fictional.

Save trouble for the one hosting the list to switch dramas between lists in Round 1.

Often there will be many dramas with 1  or 2 votes, which may then dont get a place in Round 2.
3Round 2There will be 2 voting lists:
a) Historical-Historical
b) Historical-Fictional

Each list will have a list of 25 dramas from Round 1 for voters to vote

Each voter has up to 10 votes for each list

Voting rounds to Hall of Fame, and voting period for Round 2 to be clearly indicated
Top 10 of each list (based on points) goes into Round 3 (Final).
4Round 3 (Final)There will be 2 voting lists:
a) Historical-Historical
b) Historical-Fictional

Each list will have a list of 10 dramas from Round 2 for voters to vote

Each voter has up to 3 votes for each list. (Or maybe up to 5 votes for more opportunity for newer dramas to have double-digit votes)

Voting rounds to Hall of Fame, and voting period for Round 3 (Final) to be clearly indicated
Top 3 of each list (based on points) goes into the HDC Hall of Fame.

2022 dramas that make it to Round 3 (i.e. in the list of 20 dramas (total 10 dramas for Historical-Historical and total 10 dramas for Historical-Fictional) can be filtered out (based on points) for listing in Hall of Fame for 2022 dramas.

See example in this series of voting lists created for End of the Year Drama Challenge - 2021 Edition. Scroll to the 2nd half of the Forum for the results.

Voting period
2 weeks per Round

If the voting period for each list is fixed at 2 weeks, 

• The Hall of Fame will take ~2 months to get to, with short breaks in between to create the voting lists for next round, and also between Round 1 and Round 2 for small team to discuss and categorise into 2 lists for Round 2. 
  • Publicity via feeds can be done at the start, 1 week later, and a final call 1 day before voting end date.

@WishUponAStar.  We are twins, separated at birth ... ! Wow.  Excellent.   I've saved it for the next one :)

Estelll:

Out of the top 3 of each category, I've watched 2 on both -- I plan to watch "The Red Sleeve" for a challenge this year, and maaayybe I'll watch Mr Queen one day, too!! :) 

Also, I agree that the description of the lists needed more clarifying, and maybe renaming "Period drama" list to "Costume drama" list would help understanding the meaning better? Just my 2 cents. 

In any case, I would personally consider this whole 1st attempt at a HDC Hall of Fame a success! No matter if people agreed with the results, despite the various issues (e.g lists not updating), and even if the voters weren't that many, it sparked (and it continues to do so) plenty of interesting discussions here in HDC, and initiated quite a few new members here as well! And of course it gave us a ton of new recommendations for what to watch next!! :)) 

HDCers are so wise.   :)   Looking forward to the next list !

Wow..you are really a veteran in creating voting list!

Once a year voting is good and we can limit to shows that aired the year before.  This will limit the pool and won't have the same dramas winning every time.  We might not even need to split the list between countries/periods, if we're just limiting dramas aired within the same year.  Unless there are many, then we can.  Better description is a great idea as well.

I agree it's a success as well.  It sparks a lot of conversations and new members.  Maybe next we can do movies.  I haven't watched many movies, so I look forward to recommendations from you all.

virgievirgie:
I haven't watched many movies, so I look forward to recommendations from you all.

I actually had a thought about this. I was thinking we could make a custom list of movie recommendations provided by members of the club. Any member who has a movie they think is worth recommending can submit it to be added to the list along with a few sentences either about the movie or why they're recommending it (basically to briefly tell someone scrolling through the list what is enjoyable or interesting about the movie so they can get a sense if it’s something they would want to watch). We'll include the little blurb as well as the name of the member who recommended it in the list comments. Members could submit multiple recommendations, but ideally we would want a few recommendations from lots of different members rather than lots of recommendations from just a few members. What do you all think?

I'm all for it. ;) I have already in mind the movies I'd recommend. ^^

As for the dramas Hall of Fame, making it yearly with only past year airing shows can be good, but I think it's still important to distinguish some sub-genres and not mix all Historical tag dramas together in one list.

I really like the movie recommendations idea! I haven't seen many movies so I wouldn't be much help on that end, but I'll have to double check if there's any I could recommend :)