dodoubleg1785:
As far as the romantism of "toxic" behaviour or "fan service," I think there's enough difference between "fantasy vs reality" to trust BL lovers aren't contributing to the normalization of such ideas. It's understood that it's not real and simply for entertainment; creating tension that gets released when the wrong-doer redeems themselves.

I'm not so sure about this. In fact, reading both KP's comment page and Build's page right now, it seems like an awful lot of BL stans are doing just this. Too many people are acting like they can't tell the difference between what's real and what's fake, and that because they've watched an actor play a part on tv that they know them personally and just KNOW that they wouldn't do something like this. 

I for one am starting to really believe that many BL fans ARE adding to this toxic soup that we're swimming in currently, and much like what's needed to pull back the awfulness around idols and the K-pop industry, the same thing's going to have to happen with BL.

I agree with everything Popcxqueen said above.

Popcxqueen:
Too many people are acting like they can't tell the difference between what's real and what's fake, and that because they've watched an actor play a part on tv that they know them personally and just KNOW that they wouldn't do something like this.

I'm not disagreeing with you, as there certainly are people who believe the character and the actor are one and the same.  But that can be said of any genre, not just BL.  And I think the fact the those parties involved in this particular issue are raging their battle so publicly is why fans feel like they are "allowed" to comment on it as if they know the situation. 

I don't think the issue lies within the genre using these tropes in their shows as if to "spread the ideas" but instead the problem is that people hide behind it justify their own actions.  It is not the entertainment industry's responsibility to parent the public and it is really unfair to hold them accountable for the actions of others.  

dodoubleg1785:

I'm not disagreeing with you, as there certainly are people who believe the character and the actor are one and the same.  But that can be said of any genre, not just BL.  And I think the fact the those parties involved in this particular issue are raging their battle so publicly is why fans feel like they are "allowed" to comment on it as if they know the situation. 

I don't think the issue lies within the genre using these tropes in their shows as if to "spread the ideas" but instead the problem is that people hide behind it justify their own actions.  It is not the entertainment industry's responsibility to parent the public and it is really unfair to hold them accountable for the actions of others.  

I don't think that's it, not fully. I don't think it's just because this particular case is being judged in public. I think it's because the BL industry is in desperate need of an overhaul. I think it's also because many, MANY fans have entered a stanning state that is so complete, they will twist themselves into emotional knots and unleash sludge and sewage all over the internet to defend someone who will never know their name. Look at Build's comment section and you'll see what I'm talking about. On the KP page, look at @shinethelight's comment, who said it better than I could:

"is it any mystery that fandom behaves in this way when you build an industry off of marketing CPs and pushing parasocial relationships..."

Keep in mind that I've never said one way or the other what my opinion is on this particular case - how could I since I'm not there (how could any of us?) I've just been reading comment after comment for the last two days and am reflecting on what I've been reading....combined with some gut feelings and opinions about some of the BL industry over the last several years...

Popcxqueen:
"is it any mystery that fandom behaves in this way when you build an industry off of marketing CPs and pushing parasocial relationships..."

Unfortunately, that is the work of the fans.  The industry reacts to what the fans want which is using their strongest asset (shipped couples) to sell the show.   But really, it's a matter of opinion which is the instigator and which is the opportunist.  Personally, I look at the fans as the instigator because they always want to know who is dating who in real life as if it is any of their business.  I can't watch interviews and Q&As because it inevitably turns into a cringeworthy series of "are you guys dating in real life?" and has nothing to do with the show they are actually there to promote.  Is it any wonder the industry capitalizes on that mentality when BL fans are so thirsty for it?  But those who enjoy these shows for what they are will miss out if the industry is forced to change just because those loud and excited few can't control themselves.

I watch a lot of behind-the-scenes, Q&A sessions, and interviews with writers, directors and actors to gain a better understanding of what they hoped to portray; however, I find it frustrating in relation to actors from the BL genre as the fans seemingly only want the actors to be a couple off-screen, and it seems that the actors or, indeed, their production houses willingly acquiesce with what is termed "fan service" which just adds fuel to the demand, IMO.

I often wonder if this is why some actors are constantly paired with each other in several productions so that fans will infer they are real-life couples.  

This used to happen with hetero couples as well in the early decades of film, though not so much anymore so why does it still occur in certain sections of the BL industry?

Buannaiche:
why some actors are constantly paired with each other in several productions so that fans will infer they are real-life couples.  

this is another reason i dont often watch thai bl. its not just couples with particularly good chemistry or acting that get paired together over and over again (like seobin/jiwoong), every single actor has a 'pair' which they are stuck with until they don't act in bl anymore. it gets so boring.

they are sometimes when i think its cute to see actors flirt off screen every now and then but its different when they are obviously trying to make it seem like they have feelings for eachother irl through excessive pda and weird/ambiguous statements about eachother. its cringey and strange.

shipping culture does still happen in a lot of western media too (especially shows that get popular on netflix) but i think because the actors and companies don't feed into it like the bl industry its less promient. like you dont see the actors from stranger things having a couple fanmeeting where they sit on eachothers lap wearing cat ears calling eachother cute ☠

I am happy to see people respectfully sharing their thoughts here and for me it feels important to factor in the overall well-being of everyone involved and remain relational.  If that were to happen at every interaction and level within the industry and within the fan base then I feel everyone would come out better.  So beginning right here with the people we interact with is a great start to that intention.  I appreciate hearing all the points of view here and our overall ability to do that in a positive tone encourages me to hope for better communication and healthier ways of perceiving one another en masse.

I want to be able to wholeheartedly support the BL world yet I clearly see areas where more mindfulness, respect and personal responsibility are needed.  For me it has nothing to do with whether it is fantasy or reality but whether the end result is leaving everyone better for it!  Intention and attention matter a lot to me because how I spend them shapes my experiences.  I want the BL industry to thrive for a very long time in a way that improves the quality of life of those within it and those who enjoy the sexy, fun and meaningful experiences they bring to us!

We can all continue to become the healthy fan base these hard working actors deserve!! :)

Plushpriestess:
I am happy to see people respectfully sharing their thoughts here and for me it feels important to factor in the overall well-being of everyone involved and remain relational.  If that were to happen at every interaction and level within the industry and within the fan base then I feel everyone would come out better.  So beginning right here with the people we interact with is a great start to that intention.  I appreciate hearing all the points of view here and our overall ability to do that in a positive tone encourages me to hope for better communication and healthier ways of perceiving one another en masse.

I love this so much.

Hi All

i think we can all agree that we want our BL actors to be able to work in a safe and supportive environment. And we hope that they themselves are decent people who respect themselves and others. I personally hope that improvements in the industry are a positive outcome of these awful experiences.
I think that as fans we have a responsibility to provide healthy support … I don’t know whether it’s because I’m Australian, but I find it difficult to watch the swarming crowds during non events (personal time), constant inappropriate questions about sexual preferences and the lack of relationship freedom these actors (in particular) experience.
On a happier note, thank you for the MSP recommendation, I’m really enjoying the humour and sweetness. Just disappointed I can’t binge watch. Need to find a filler … looks like I can finally access all of Triage. Has anyone watched Because of You?

I was missing Nuer and Syn now that Cutie Pie 2 You was over and this morning I saw the Our Winter Teaser. I cant wait to see this. :D

https://youtube.com/shorts/__yLN2tBiyI?feature=share

I would like to joing if possible

Ohh we have some new names in the club! Welcome all!

SS501_Kdramas:

I was missing Nuer and Syn now that Cutie Pie 2 You was over and this morning I saw the Our Winter Teaser. I cant wait to see this. :D

https://youtube.com/shorts/__yLN2tBiyI?feature=share

me too! It's so exciting

I’d like to join  pls :)