2017 Watch Challenge Discussion

This discussion has been closed.

I'm going on vacation almost a month...
Hi Hessa, a question: in "Watch a drama/movie with students as the main cast" can only school dramas be included, or university/college dramas also count?
Hessa Volunteer Staff
You can watch uni and college drama.
right now i'm currently watching Swords of Legends and My Father is Strange can i add them to the challenge when i complet them ?
Can Lee Je Hoon's hairstyle be considered as weird in the movie Anarchist from colony?

Finally, I completed it! 

Can we make suggestions for next year?  I think we should go even older for the years (but that may only work for movies...).  Also a category for documentary/based on a true story (that should work for both dramas and movies) and one for short films/omnibus movies (although I'm not sure what the drama equivalent for that would be, haha).

I feel like this has made me watch some things that I wouldn't have thought about otherwise (or pushed things to the top of my plan to watch list that might otherwise have stayed there forever), but we can take it even further, lol.

I'm done!  Why did I ever think a perfectionist like me could be happy with just easy difficulty? ;)

Thought it would be fun to post some personal stats upon finishing.

Of the things I watched this year for this challenge:

Movies watched: 26
Dramas watched: 28 (it surprises me that I watched more dramas than movies)
Favorite movies: The Foreign Duck, the Native Duck, and God in a Coin Locker (Honorable mentions: MAD SAD BAD, Onibaba, Portrait of a Beauty)
Favorite dramas: Circle, 100-manen no Onna-tachi (Honorable mentions: Nirvana in Fire, Candy House)
Country distribution: Korea (33/54 = 61.1%); Japan (16/54 = 29.6%); China (3/54 = 5.5%); Taiwan (2/54 = 3.7%)
Total time spent: 25, 265 minutes! (421.1 hours / 17.5 days / 2.5 weeks) (I was curious, haha)
Oldest thing watched: Seven Samurai (1954)
Things I watched that I probably wouldn't have otherwise: Tokyo Bandwagon (picked from list of recs), Exte (my random word movie - I didn't have many choices for "container", lol), MANSHIN (picked based on release date near my join date), and I probably wouldn't have ever gotten around to finishing either Mirror of the Witch or What's Up if not for this challenge.  And I mostly don't regret watching any of those ;)
Average score given: 7.2
Worst score: 2 (Sweet Sixteen)
Best score: 9, gave 4 of 'em which is kind of a lot for me (Circle, 100-manen no Onna-tachi, Candy House, Nirvana in Fire)

Will there be a challenge for 2018 as well?

If so, I will definitely join! I joined the drama a little late and only watched 20 dramas because of that. I really want to go all in though and watch 50 dramas (+bonus challenges) in total as I, throughout this challenge, have watched lots of dramas which I wasn't intending to watch at first and which exceeded my expectations! :)

Hessa Volunteer Staff

I'm planning to do one for 2018, but I need your suggestions. What categories should we add? Any ways to make this interesting or game-like to influence users to participate?

I would like to see more genres to choose (ex. Watch a Tragedy, Melodrama/ Action, Adventure, Suspense, Comedy or drama/movie) or maybe some categories with a prefixed number of episodes (ex. Watch a drama with 16 episodes) or release date (ex. Watch a drama/movie which began airing/premiered between 2010 and 2012/ between 2012 and 2014/ between 2015 and 2017) =)

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 Ariko:

I would like to see more genres to choose (ex. Watch a Tragedy, Melodrama/ Action, Adventure, Suspense, Comedy or drama/movie) or maybe some categories with a prefixed number of episodes (ex. Watch a drama with 16 episodes) or release date (ex. Watch a drama/movie which began airing/premiered between 2010 and 2012/ between 2012 and 2014/ between 2015 and 2017) =)

But wouldn't that be too easy? 

I wish we could do something like this: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1582476

But I'm out of ideas.

Hessa:
I wish we could do something like this: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1582476

Whoa, that is...elaborate.  Haha.  I like it though.  It definitely gets to more of the random aspects that I liked so much from doing certain entries in this challenge.

Could we just have certain categories and make people do random items using a simple random number generator?  So same idea, but lose the bingo board and visual aspect, I guess.

Like have a list of, say, specific years or a shorter year range, for example.  It might have (for sake of example and I have no idea how this would break down) 40 entries.  Then people doing the challenge would get 5 random numbers from 1-40 using a random number generator and have to do the specific years/year ranges those numbers correspond to on the full list.  Make sense?

So we would need a lot more items on the existing list, but it would be a similar setup.  Just more would be left to fate and random number generators than us being able to choose.

Just an idea after reading that bingo thing ;)

Hessa:
What categories should we add?

I had suggested a documentary or based on a true story category above somewhere.  And also a short film/omnibus film category.  There's no exact drama equivalent, though.  (Well, maybe that could be paired with the drama special.)

Also, I liked that "watch something that aired in the season you joined" thing, even if we all interpreted it differently.  I actually found something that was released the same month I joined and that amused me, for some reason, lol.  We could have combo lists with one having months or four seasons, at least, and the other with specific years, and then end up with "watch a movie that was released in summer of 2009" or something if I got summer and 2009 off the lists.  That would be fun, I think.  But that may be just me.

Hessa:

I'm planning to do one for 2018, but I need your suggestions. What categories should we add? Any ways to make this interesting or game-like to influence users to participate?

This was my first time doing the Watch Challenge. Additional categories can be 1) watch a drama/movie starring or guest starring  your favorite supporting actor/actress, 2) watch a drama/movie starring an actor/actress who played in two or more historical dramas, 3) watch a drama/movie starring an actor/actress who never played in a school drama or medical drama or historical drama or etc. (you get the picture just pick one), OR 4) watch a drama/movie from a mydramalist article.

I'm over forty so my ways of making it game-like might not be for the young generations. 1) Encourage your friends to join the 2018 Watch Challenge. (put it in your feed at least once a day), 2) Make new friends (Friend 2 watchers above and below in the 2018 Watch Challenge), and 3) Don't  re-watch alone - set a day and time to re-watch dramas/movies with Watch Challenge group. (Preferably a movie on DramaFever or Netflix).  We can chat about after we re-watch the drama.(For me, chatting during the drama takes away from enjoying the art of the drama.)