Forest:

Yes, the one from 1930. It's been a while, but as far as I remember and looking at my records, there are only a few differences. For example in contrast to the book, where it begins in the middle of the front, the film starts with the scene when the school class decides to go into battle, followed by their time in training. Some battles are combined into one, so that some soldiers die in the same battle. Otherwise, the visits home show some differences.

Thanks! I bookmarked the film  

His trip home was heartbreaking. He felt so alienated for a variety of reasons.  How could he possibly explain the horrors of war?

brodiew:
I'll throw a random hat in the ring here that may or may not fit the mix. The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. It won the Pulitzer Prize for literature in 1975. 5 years after I was born but 35 years later that I actually read it. It is the inspiration for the Civil War film Gettysburg. The novel specifically focuses on the battle of the Gettysburg from multiple perspectives. The book is not as much about the action as it is about the people who are involved and their feelings about the events of those three days. Brilliantly written and emotionally stirring.

Welcome to our Book Club, dear friend! Looking forward to your input and more recommendations :)

Whoop whoop - Book Club - here I come. Ok, so randomly jotting my thoughts here. I shall read  How to Rule an Empire and Get Away with It which is a recc by my dear friend @mengosteen and when I am not reading that, I shall read Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter - simply because of how much of a twisty, depraved little mindfuck it sounds like ?

Jeana:

Whoop whoop - Book Club - here I come. Ok, so randomly jotting my thoughts here. I shall read  How to Rule an Empire and Get Away with It which is a recc by my dear friend @mengosteen and when I am not reading that, I shall read Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter - simply because of how much of a twisty, depraved little mindfuck it sounds like ?

Looking forward to your thoughts on Empire when you finish it and whether I need to add it to my PTR.  Welcome to the club!

The Butterfly:

Looking forward to your thoughts on Empire when you finish it and whether I need to add it to my PTR.  Welcome to the club!

That’s the motivation I need. Sounds like a plan ?

Jeana:

Whoop whoop - Book Club - here I come. Ok, so randomly jotting my thoughts here. I shall read  How to Rule an Empire and Get Away with It which is a recc by my dear friend @mengosteen and when I am not reading that, I shall read Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter - simply because of how much of a twisty, depraved little mindfuck it sounds like ?

I'm really tempted to read @mengosteen's recommendation too - after I finally finish the books that keep getting dusted next to my bed :)

Almost forgot to post my July book, which was Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro.

This was a very quick and relatively engaging read, especially in the first half.  The second half got a little weird and meandering and it does not have the most original plot, but I still enjoyed reading it.  This one gets 3.5/5.  

zeamays:

Almost forgot to post my July book, which was Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro.

This was a very quick and relatively engaging read, especially in the first half.  The second half got a little weird and meandering and it does not have the most original plot, but I still enjoyed reading it.  This one gets 3.5/5.  

I read it months ago and I had similar thoughts about it. For me, not his best work but I still enjoyed it.

penel:

I read it months ago and I had similar thoughts about it. For me, not his best work but I still enjoyed it.

Yeah, agreed.  I've only read The Remains of the Day and The Artist of the Floating World, but I'd put both of those above this one in terms of originality, writing, structure, etc.  The template of all three books is kind of similar, with the slow reveals, but I didn't think this one had a lot of impact, unfortunately.  Still, a good read :)

zeamays:

Yeah, agreed.  I've only read The Remains of the Day and The Artist of the Floating World, but I'd put both of those above this one in terms of originality, writing, structure, etc.  The template of all three books is kind of similar, with the slow reveals, but I didn't think this one had a lot of impact, unfortunately.  Still, a good read :)

The Remains of the Day is still his best work for me, and the movie is a very thoughtful adaptation.
I also liked Never Let Me Go and A Pale View of Hills  a lot.
Is the 'The Artist of the Floating World' something you'd recommend?

penel:

The Remains of the Day is still his best work for me, and the movie is a very thoughtful adaptation.
I also liked Never Let Me Go and A Pale View of Hills  a lot.
Is the 'The Artist of the Floating World' something you'd recommend?

Yes!  An Artist of the Floating World I feel is kind of tied to The Remains of the Day in my mind, even though I read them years apart.  They play with memories and perception in similar ways, though I do think that The Remains of the Day is the better of the two.  I think if you liked one you'd like both, though.

I will have to get around to Never Let Me Go at some point :)

zeamays:

Yes!  An Artist of the Floating World I feel is kind of tied to The Remains of the Day in my mind, even though I read them years apart.  They play with memories and perception in similar ways, though I do think that The Remains of the Day is the better of the two.  I think if you liked one you'd like both, though.

I will have to get around to Never Let Me Go at some point :)

Thanks for the heads-up! 

Made a new rectangle club badge template, hope it looks okay.

Rien:
Made a new rectangle club badge, hope it looks okay.

Love the image! <3

Rien:
Made a new rectangle club badge template, hope it looks okay.

They are beautiful! Thank you for your hard work :)