Heya folks! I finally finished a book. Its another anthology. This one is the (Re)Living Mythology. If I remember I will add the cover later. I liked some of the stories and some of the poetry. It seems like maybe I got a bad copy as there were some errors I wasn't expecting to see? Like maybe they sent me an unedited ARC by accident? Not sure. But there were some memorable short stories in there. It was cool recognizing some figures and getting to know others. 

This month I read "Anna Karenina" by Leo Tolstoy. I had not had the opportunity to read this author before and I felt more like getting into this one first than starting with "War and Peace" (so long). It was very easy to read, I liked it a lot, I found that the author described his two main love stories in the old Russian nobility of the 19th century with great finesse and psychology. He has a very simple style where you feel all the passion but also the melancholy of the characters. I also found that the secondary characters were really well described and the painting of the society and customs of this time really well transcribed.

I've read 3 books this month so fare but tbh there all from the same Series so

Hi Drama-Lovers Book Club fam,
Just joining in today - and please do correct me if this is not the right approach.

Currently am looking for a book that I saw feature in the drama, Misaeng - and found the title and summary quite interesting. While my attempts for learning Korean are ongoing, any help on finding/buying the English translated copy?

Book: On My 29th Birthday, I Decided to Die One Year Later
Author: Hayama Amari
Goodreads Link: https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/34384167

If you know - please do comment/DM me the link (preferably with global shipping) - TIA 💗

Ok since I am new here, I guess I can post directly about my book read =D

Hello everyone

My Feb - March book recommendation goes to "Educated by Tara Westover"

I still have few pages to continue but its been a great ride reading the journey of a girl as she breaks free and gains knowledge about the world around her. (Its the writers own memoir about finding power in education) So knowing its based on true events makes it more meaningful!

Randz:
Ok since I am new here, I guess I can post directly about my book read =D

Welcome to our book-club dear friend and thanks a lot for the recommendation!

penel:

Welcome to our book-club dear friend and thanks a lot for the recommendation!

Thank youu =D

This is my first update on here, sorry if this post is a bit long, but I just finished 2 books "The seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo" by Taylor Jenkins Reid

and "The right move" by Liz Tomforde

Starting with Evelyn hugo:

Things I liked: 

-Evelyn herself, this woman is such a queen and she knows it, she owns every part of herself and is aware of the power she holds. The way we follow her pov through every important part of her life, her thought process, the choices she makes, how much she's willing to sacrifice for her career, I'm so in love with her.

- Other characters like Harry and Monique, they were just wonderful and I think Monique had great character development and definitely deserves the good life coming for her.

-The seven husbands obviously!! I loveedd going through every marriage, the cause/ reason of them, the duration, and the end of each one was so interesting and so intriguing.

Things I disliked:

-Celia, I'm sorry I couldn't with her like I understood where she was coming from but so many times (more often than not) she would say or do the most contradicting things, like things concerning her career and her/ others' sexuality, so yeah she wasn't my fav but I didn't hate her either.

-How so eventful but at the same time boring the book was, it took me since the start of this year and until now to finish, and I'm not usually slow either. While the characters and their dynamics were interesting, I found myself bored or skipping through the book most of the time I was reading it, and just when I would decide to drop it, I skip some more and suddenly we're at the next arc of the book and I'm interested again. What I'm trying to say is that maybe the book was a bit longer than it should've been🤷‍♀️

Rating: 7.5/10 I'm usually not interested in stories concerning the LGBTQ+ community (just more interested in straight romances) but I picked this one up and I don't regret it, it was a fine read and a new perspective.

Now "The right move" 

I liked this one more than the former, this was a healthy, cute, smutty, book and I was ALL. FOR. IT. The initial bestfried's-brother/ roommate/ enemies-to-lovers plot, turning into two great adults understanding each other, falling in love, and healing from their past relationships *chefs kiss* It was such a good fun read, I literally started it last night and finished it earlier today. It was a bit on the longer side just a bit short of 550 pages and while nothing really eventful or angsty happened it was simply full of the characters' day-to-day lives, their relationships, and fun bickering dynamic. 

Rating: solid 8.5/10 really good, almost great, a bit too long but I never wanted it to end XD.

Well booky friends, I finished three books this month as i read with a fervor. Not a fan of volume 4, and I'm considering dropping it or just finishing it at a much slower pace. It's made up of bonus content so I don't really feel bad about that.

I was surprised by the science fiction. Didn't realize this would be a transmigration/isekai-style story that is basically a guide to writing fix-it fanfics haha
Had fun with the second one as well. Honestly they all kind of blend together since I read them all so quickly. I think I finished the series in like a week or a week and a half?
Mo Xiang Tong Xiu has grown as a writer since this debut series, but I was able to appreciate it. I want to read Heaven's Official Blessing now to see the growth.

Hello! I've been really bad about posting my updates, but I'm going to try to post monthly again.  So far this year I've read 17 books. Last month I finished reading the Vampire Academy series.  My favorite reads from March were Our Missing Hearts by Celeste Ng and Midnight Library by Matt Haig.

Vampire Academy by Rachel Mead

★★★★☆
★★★☆☆
★★★★☆
★★☆☆☆
★★☆☆☆
★★★☆☆

I thought this was a good fix if you're a fan of YA paranormal romance/vampire stuff.  You have to be in a certain mood to read them.  The story revolves around FL who is a dhampir (half vampire) who is in training to become a bodyguard of sorts for her best friend, who is considered vampire royalty.  It's a coming of age story as FL becomes a skilled fighter and learns more about what happened to her in the past as well.  There's a lot of fun, guilty pleasure twists and turns.

Favorite March Reads:

★★★★☆
★★★★☆

Our Missing Hearts by Celeste Ng

This is an American dystopian novel in which the main character is a kid who is of half Chinese descent.  That fact is pertinent to the novel as it deals with a lot of racism, censorship, and propaganda.  However, in this alternate reality, it is America that is doing the censoring. I usually hate dystopian novels, but I liked this one. It's a little too close to reality at times since it borrows a lot of stuff from history.  A lot of people said the execution was poor in this one. I could sort of see that. However, you can tell the author poured her heart into this novel. It was honestly so touching and brought tears to my eyes.

Midnight Library by Matt Haig

I really don't know what to say about this one other than it's a fun multiverse adventure (but sad at times too).  It made me think about my own life.

I forgot to put my books from last month, I had only good readings in March.

"My cruelty" by François Bégaudeau ("Ma cruauté", I had trouble finding an image). It is a very funny and very well written book, a social satire that addresses a MeToo case in the academic field with a very fine criticism of this environment. There is also a great criticism of the novel, with a fictional pact completely defused. But hey I'm a fan, I read every new novel by this author.

I try also to discover relatively unknown authors, this is the case of Pierre Senges. "A long silence interbroken by the scream of a griffin" is really original, it's a book in two parts. The first part evokes the life of a character invented by the author who grew up in Russia at the beginning of the 20th century and who gradually became marginalized and secluded to write an encyclopedia of silence, particularly talkative ! The second part provides excerpts from this encyclopedia. This novel where is reworked a funny and misleading fiction with a reflection on silence is really brilliant and I liked it a lot.

Dalie Farah's book, "Find Fiona", addresses the matter of the false disappearance of little Fiona in May 2013 in a town in the center of the France (from which the author is from), and the trial of her mother and her companion who finally confessed that she had succumbed to their blows and that they had disposed of the body, that was never found. This investigative story parallels the author's youth, who was also a victim of violence. It is very modest, never in pathos and it is a very beautiful tribute to Fiona whose disappearance had moved us all so much.

Fati:
I try also to discover relatively unknown authors, this is the case of Pierre Senges. "A long silence interbroken by the scream of a griffin" is really original, it's a book in two parts. The first part evokes the life of a character invented by the author who grew up in Russia at the beginning of the 20th century and who gradually became marginalized and secluded to write an encyclopedia of silence, particularly talkative ! The second part provides excerpts from this encyclopedia. This novel where is reworked a funny and misleading fiction with a reflection on silence is really brilliant and I liked it a lot.

That does sound really unique. It kind of reminds me of House of Leaves in terms of its use of excerpts to tell a story. Sounds pretty cool.

So I've been reading The Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation, and this is after last month's binge on The Scum Villain's Self-Saving System, and it kind of blows my mind how much Mo Xiang Tong Xiu's writing increased between the two books. I mean like really, she strengthened her skills between the two series. There's a better sense of scenes, details are better kept track of, and I mean it's just better thought out. Makes me super curious about Heaven's Official Blessing and if we'll see another growth spurt in Mo Xiang Tong Xiu's career.

fiflydramalover:

That does sound really unique. It kind of reminds me of House of Leaves in terms of its use of excerpts to tell a story. Sounds pretty cool. 

Yes, it's really cool, I recommend it to you, but I don't know if it will be translated. I didn't know House of leaves, I took note, thank you !

Hello does anyone know any books that are similar to Class of Lies (where  murder takes place in school) or generally thriller/action/mystery/paranormal/etc books that take place in school?