Jeaniessi wrote: Yes! Think of all the royals that married first cousins over and over again. I don't know about brother and sister lovin'. I'd have to look that up but it was pretty common to marry at least a cousin in western culture up to a certain point in time. I don't know when exactly, that became taboo or illegal.

Cousin is different. Immediate family is a whole different story.
Really? Because if my brother's kid and my daughter tried to do some loving... ew.
Jeaniessi wrote: Really? Because if my brother's kid and my daughter tried to do some loving... ew.

:P It's still a whole different story.
Skye-N-Rain wrote: :P It's still a whole different story.

I wouldn't say whole different story...perhaps a spin-off. a sequel if you will, but not wholly different. I didn't realize this was so prevalent in Japan. I have to go look this up now. lol.
Jeaniessi wrote: I wouldn't say whole different story...perhaps a spin-off. a sequel if you will, but not wholly different. I didn't realize this was so prevalent in Japan. I have to go look this up now. lol.

Rofl. You're right. It's a spin off :P
While siblings vs. cousins may not be the same thing, is the distinction relevant? I am not aware of siblings marrying each other as a relatively recent common practice in Japan, but I have never thought of looking it up before. Is there someone who knows by chance? lol Also, I stumbled through thepress release, and I think it says they are blood related. So that shoots down the step-sibling possibility (Does anyone remember the movie Clueless? lol).
Kawaikochan wrote: While siblings vs. cousins may not be the same thing, is the distinction relevant? I am not aware of siblings marrying each other as a relatively recent common practice in Japan, but I have never thought of looking it up before. Is there someone who knows by chance? lol

Also, I stumbled through the japanese press release, and I think it says they are blood related. So that shoots down the step-sibling possibility (Does anyone remember the movie Clueless? lol).

apparently the distinction is relevant to Skye... lol. Hey! Clueless did have step sibling loving! I never thought of looking this up before either...but now I am. I never knew about this until this thread.
Haha, it kind of is. I think of it as a tier system. Tier 1 - Immediate family Tier 2 - Cousins Tier 3 - Second Cousins Tier 4 - Jeanie's Daughter.
Incest...a game the whole family can play...
Jeaniessi wrote: Incest...a game the whole family can play...

I just died laughing :P
...and Skye, I will KILL you! ...and I'm going to do you a favor and not show this to D. lmao.
Jeaniessi wrote: ...and Skye, I will KILL you! ...and I'm going to do you a favor and not show this to D. lmao.

What? You want her to be pushed up a tier or two?:P
I better stop before I go past the line :P Anyways sleep time!
Skye-N-Rain wrote: What? You want her to be pushed up a tier or two?:P
I better stop before I go past the line :P Anyways sleep time!

You are a slippery little sucker when you get yourself in hot water! Goodnight! and behave!
You guys are cracking me up. I'm waiting for one of you to make a jingle for the "Incest Game" (currently negotiating to sell rights to Hasbro).

Jeaniessi wrote: apparently the distinction is relevant to Skye... lol. Hey! Clueless did have step sibling loving! I never thought of looking this up before either...but now I am. I never knew about this until this thread.

just to clarify I meant "is the distinction relevant to the question 'why is incest a more common theme in j-drama/anime/etc than any of us have experienced elsewhere?'"
I just laughed like a cat with socks. Erm, when does that anime air? Maybe after midnight?