First of all, hi. My name is Nahike, and i have to admit that i'm inmensely lost in here. I don't know how this works, so i'm not sure if this is the right place to write this or if i have to talk with someone in specific. So if i have to, please, someone can be so nice to tell me?? Please.

Second, english is not my first language (or second OTL) so probably i'm making a few mistakes right now. Hope you can ignore them and understand me.

I'm writing this, because i don't know what else to do. I use to create or correct some files in a wikia of my language. And, usually, those bios are of thai actors and actresses.

For months, i writed a lot of profiles. And now, they decided to change to put al the profiles in the same format: First the last name (or family name) and second the name (ignoring the nickname as a current nickname that anyone else can have in the rest of the world, when in Thailand are so much more important).

As i was saying, they are changing the profiles as last name + name, using the same rule that is common in Japan, China or Korea. And it''s wrong. But they are not listening. Not sure even if they are caring. Because the excuse they give me is that in other western (<---important!!) pages, the names can be founded as --last name + name--. And one of their main examples, is this page.

After take a look of it, i realized that is true, and i'd like to know if this thing obeys to something or maybe here, like them, you had not realized that you was writing them upside down. If is the second, i was wondering that maybe you can change it and put it correctly, so maybe in the other pages, that have you as example, can realize their mistakes too.

Please, hope you can understand me and, if it is so, i'm right here for anything you need. It was so difficult to me to leart to differentiate the thai names from their family names too. It took some time and right now i have a tip that works, if you want it.

Thank you so much.

Hi Nahike,

MDL started for East Asian dramas (they are slowly expanding, starting w/ South East Asia Now) , so they use the format used in those countries, with Family name listed first.

However, since the update of Sep 2017, the format changed, so that the actor's name listed on top is the "Stage Name", whichever way the actors use it .... The Birth name is still listed Family Name first.  The AKA names, list all the other spellings or names used.

Although most Thai names are still listed in the old format, we can now start using the new format and thus can list the Stage name as is typical for Thais 

EX: Ken Theeradeth is listed as

Name: Wongpuapan Theeradej   ... No birth name, since it is the same ... Nicknames and various spellings listed under AKA.

I can now change it and list him this way

Name : Ken Theeradeth Wongpuapan   .... i.e. "Stage Name"

Birth Name: Wongpuapan Theeradej

AKA: Nicknames and various other spellings. 

So, if you want, you can start changing the names , you may.  When I have time, I will also help changing the names.

For more info, you can contact one of the Approval staff members. @Hessa ,  is best at providing the correct method and any other info or questions u want.  This is her profile,  u can send her a Private Message.
 https://mydramalist.com/profile/Hessa

Are you talking about how you did the things in the page, righ? If you enter in thai pages, or even in their wikias, writed by them, they write first the names, not the family names. They not use their family names except in formal presentations (for example, jobs, and just the first times). I'm not talking about how you do things in the page. I'm trying to explain that you are writing the names upside down. Indeed, you are taking the thai name writing (i'm gonna use your example, Ken) ธีรเดช วงศ์พัวพันธ์ , that literaly puts Theeradej Wongpuapan, and then you are writing the romanization Wongpuapan Theeradej. It makes no sense!!! Cuz is not correct.

But ok, i'll talk with her. Maybe there is something i'm missing here and she can explain it to me.

I am not sure I understand.

What I am saying is that MDL has changed its format so that now you can list an actor's name by using the "Nickname First-name Family-name" format.

Family name must be included, as this is a formal DB site.

Must use Romanization b/c this is an English site.

Birth Name is still listed as Family name first, I assume b/c it is a unifying format for the site.

Yes!  Almost all Thai actors are listed w/ their Family Names first ( or backwards), but this format is now changed! ....  Someone needs to go and change all the Thai actors' names.  You can do it. I will do as much as I can also.

So you are saying that you are changing the format you have listed the thai names... Then why you listed first by their family names??? Is so confusing and people in other pages are using it as model. That's why i'm here. Because 20 of my profiles had been changed telling me that ''in mydramalist they write the names like that''.

Oh, god!! I'm shaking now. I was about to cry because of the frustration and i was about to give up on this topic. And now at least i have an answer. How can i thank you to this??? And i'll talk with Hessa to fully clarify everything as soon as i can, so i'll can go to appeal for my profiles with something substancial. Thank you. Thank you so much. TT__TT

Yes! the format has changed .... They are still listed in the old format, because someone has to go and change each individually.... MDL depends on its users to improve and add to the DB!

I am happy I could help :)

Oh, and I think I now understand what u said.  The Native Name, written in Thai script, lists family name last.   Yes, b/c it is entered exactly as the actor uses it in his own native tongue.

Yes... Well, i'll explain better.

In Thailand, they use the western naming order, not the east asian order. The east asian (family name + name) is used in China, Japan, Korea and Vietnam. And in other asian countries as Thailand, Malasya or India (for example) they use the western way.

However, western pages are writing the romanized names east asian style, but i don't know why, and admins in a lot of pages are changing it even if you are trying to write it righ. Is so frustrating, so i'm trying to understand why they do that.

For example, what you said. The ''birth name'' section. Even when now you are creating the page with the names in the correct order, in that section you still have the name in east asian way, putting the family name first. You just tell me that maybe that's because is the unifying format for this site. But, even if it is, is wrong writed, and that's what i asked to Hessa, to know why, if everything else is right.

However, you telling me that you (all of you) are changing the order in everything else gives me truly hopes to reach an agreement and be able, finally, to write it properly, in all the profiles, not just here. In my wikia too. Is a relief, because, as i said, i was about to give up. And i'd don't like to give up in something that, later, people everywhere who shows interest are gonna use. And if the pages they put their faith on to be informed are wrong, then they learn things incorrectly. And i don't like that.

So, again, thank you so much.

I understand your frustration, Birth name is listed backwards, while native name is in the correct order .... @Hessa or @Skye-N-Rain can answer your questions about Birth Name.

By the way, Wikipedia, IMDB and Sharerice , all list Thai names with "First-name + Family-name" format .  Sharerice even includes Nickname first.   I don't know which wikia you are talking about.

rainruma:

I understand your frustration, Birth name is listed backwards, while native name is in the correct order .... @Hessa or @Skye-N-Rain can answer your questions about Birth Name.

By the way, Wikipedia, IMDB and Sharerice , all list Thai names with "First-name + Family-name" format .  Sharerice even includes Nickname first.   I don't know which wikia you are talking about.

Exactly!! THAT is the correct way. But in western fanwikias nobody does that. They are so confused.

I'm so glad finally somebody is able to understand me.