mizztic wrote: It's pretty much like that with most j-dramas, isn't it :)) That's why I like them, that warm feeling they give you about friendship, love, life in general...

I totally agree.
J-dramas are really special to me, compared to western series (most americans, which I enjoyed a lot too), because they are able to convey very strong feelings in a very special way, for example in focusing on strange scenario (yankees doing Tumbling in this case, which is quite not what you are expecting for such kind of characters), but also in every single moment in life. The fact that Japanese people are a lot more reserved than we can be in Europe or in the US (tell me if I'm wrong) makes those moments when feelings are brought to light so strong (I would say delightful, but I'm not sure it would be well understood). all the more that some things are not totally said. Can anyone understand what I'm saying? (I 'm sorry it looks so much like french translated in English, today I'm not able to do more).
@SayItAintSoJoe : maybe it's just me who really liked those episodes, because I found they're dealing in a very realistic but touching way with those matters, or maybe it was just at the moment.
SumiTheCat wrote: I totally agree.
J-dramas are really special to me, compared to western series (most americans, which I enjoyed a lot too), because they are able to convey very strong feelings in a very special way, for example in focusing on strange scenario (yankees doing Tumbling in this case, which is quite not what you are expecting for such kind of characters), but also in every single moment in life. The fact that Japanese people are a lot more reserved than we can be in Europe or in the US (tell me if I'm wrong) makes those moments when feelings are brought to light so strong (I would say delightful, but I'm not sure it would be well understood). all the more that some things are not totally said. Can anyone understand what I'm saying? (I 'm sorry it looks so much like french translated in English, today I'm not able to do more).
@SayItAintSoJoe : maybe it's just me who really liked those episodes, because I found they're dealing in a very realistic but touching way with those matters, or maybe it was just at the moment.

Yes in general, Jdramas are like that. They're seemingly odd but somehow fit in the plot of things. Also, I don't know exactly what the Japanese society think of homosexuality per se though through observation I agree with you that in general they are a much more reserved, and they don't discuss some things openly. I like that Episode 5 dealt with gay acceptance realistically--oh and they didn't seem to mind when they bathe with Mizusawa after his coming out.

Also if you notice in Episode 7, Hino really has a formal relationship with his dad. When his 'tousan pointed out his mistakes during the routine, Hino bowed to his father because he finally gained his approval. The embodiment of that bow is--respect, gratitude, and humility. But I really thought it sucked that Hino had to hold back and was not able to hug his dad... :p
dapinaymrs wrote: oh and they didn't seem to mind when they bathe with Mizusawa after his coming out.

lol that part was odd to me. I can understand them being like, "hey, your gay. it's cool. let's still be teammates/friends" but I would not be bathing naked with my gay friends.... but then again, I wouldn't be bathing naked with my straight friends either lolol. But you'd think that at least Kiyama would have had a problem with it.
I am always really happy to see Kuninaka Ryoko in a drama. She is soooo pretty. I like how they seem to make it a point to hold the frame on her face many times throughout the show lol. Plus the whole thing with her and the other teacher and how he would grab her hands was funny.

SayItAintSoJoe wrote: lol that part was odd to me. I can understand them being like, "hey, your gay. it's cool. let's still be teammates/friends" but I would not be bathing naked with my gay friends.... but then again, I wouldn't be bathing naked with my straight friends either lolol. But you'd think that at least Kiyama would have had a problem with it.

ohmylawdie. Did I even make sense right there--I was a bit sleepy when I typed that. LOL! Odd is really the correct term. I don't know if you've observed it too in other Jdoramas or anime...straight men bathe together in public baths and hot springs. But this is the first time I've seen one gay friend bathing with straight guy friends.
dapinaymrs wrote: ohmylawdie. Did I even make sense right there--I was a bit sleepy when I typed that. LOL! Odd is really the correct term. I don't know if you've observed it too in other Jdoramas or anime...straight men bathe together in public baths and hot springs. But this is the first time I've seen one gay friend bathing with straight guy friends.

As what my Japanese sensei told us...there are public baths in Japan for both male and female:)
I just watched part of the training video. It's pretty awesome. Actors are so talented. I can't believe they had to learn all that.
darkangel662008 wrote: As what my Japanese sensei told us...there are public baths in Japan for both male and female:)

Fascinating! (side-story: you know we have 'communal' baths in the rural areas where men and women can bathe together--naked and no malice)

SayItAintSoJoe wrote: I just watched part of the training video. It's pretty awesome. Actors are so talented. I can't believe they had to learn all that.

Incredible, isn't it!
I started this drama yesterday. Looks like it will be a fun watch. :)
Gymnastics is one of my favorite Olympic events so I have a feeling I will like this drama. lol
Sleepninja wrote: I started this drama yesterday. Looks like it will be a fun watch. :)
Gymnastics is one of my favorite Olympic events so I have a feeling I will like this drama. lol

I hope you enjoy it! I really love this drama because of the gymnastics element and the emotional element. Happy watching!! :)
While watching this drama I was just amazed at how in shape these guys are...they made me feel fat and I'm only 115 pounds. :p
yankumicho wrote: I hope you enjoy it! I really love this drama because of the gymnastics element and the emotional element. Happy watching!! :)

I'm already enjoying it a lot. Yamamoto Yusuke as a thug is just hilarious. Also, Tomiura Satoshi's voice in this drama. :O So high pitched!