What are the best Japanese movies to watch?

Confessions - easily japanese best movie, truly a masterpiece

Yurigokoro - the life of a serial killer

Let Me Eat Your Pancreas - totally not a cannibal movie

I need to know what genre do you like and what are your favorite japanese movies to help you better.

realdeal:

I need to know what genre do you like and what are your favorite japanese movies to help you better.

I love everything, but my favorite genres are dark, crazy or mystery movies like Love Exposure, House, Lady Snowblood, Himizu, I Am a Hero, and Confessions, I also like older Japanese movies like Kwaidan, Yojimbo, Onibaba, The Face of Another, The Sword of Doom, Ran, High and Low, and Kagemusha, and weird ones like Funeral Parade of Roses and Gozu, and like gangster or violent films like Sonatine, Violent Cop, Hana-Bi, and Audition, I have over 1400 Asian movies, Japanese, South Korean, Hong Kong, Chinese, Thailand, Indonesian, Taiwan, Cambodia, Philippines, and India movies, since I have so many, I always struggle to find a movie to watch, their all good movies because they all have good plots and review ratings, but right now, i'm only interested in watching Japanese movies right now, feel burnt out from Hong Kong/Chinese movies right now, not so much from South Korea, or the other Asian countries 

I checked your list and these are movies you probably missed that I think you will like based on your favorite gnere, fish story, love and peace, world of kanako, all about lilly chou chou, bride for rip van winkle, anger and recently Love and Other Cults. I also highly recommend departures and the great passage as those movies are about japanese culture. If you love though provoking genre, those slow japanese movies that tackles existentialism, movies by hirozaku koreeda and naomi kawase are good place to start.  As for older movies, you can't go wrong with ozu, kurosawa and mizoguchi.

I had a whole list then my computer died an I forgot it