I think Ikuta Toma is definitely one of those born actors. I don't think he's given a single poor performance. He's definitely got it. Nishikido Ryo is definitely good as well. Nino...well I'm biased because I really can't see any appeal in him at all. But he's not terrible. And charisma and appeal are obviously good qualities because those are needed in the entertainment world. But those qualities alone aren't enough to be a good actor. In my opinion, they should just let the charismatic ones who can't act or sing do variety or something.
I find Woman, Hanzawa Naoki and LIMIT really great in very differents styles!I am currently watching Summer Nude too but it isn't great, just entertaining. But Woman and Hanzawa Naoki are really really masterpiece for me!
tampopo100 wrote: I think too many idols are in dramas nowadays. When you look at dramas from like the early 2000s and before, it wasn't so prevelant but now they're everywhere. Most of them can't act. For example, I've watched some dramas starring Johnny's Juniors and their acting isn't good at all. The only one with Johnny's Juniors that I could tolerate was 35sai no Koukousei and even that wasn't the best drama ever. Kamen Teacher is pretty dull...Dont even let me get started on the AKB dramas. Ugh. And school dramas get repetitive after a while because it's always the same: bullying, shoplifting, mean girls, a new teacher transferring to a troubled school who has to help the worst class etc. They need to think of something new.

Have you watched Suzuki Sensei? It's one of the very best school dramas IMHO. No JE's youngsters in that show, though
If you did, J-Movies in the same theme have a lot more to offer than those repetitive stuff, you gotta check them out

tampopo100 wrote: Not all of Johnny's acting are bad just the juniors lol. I think Ikuta Toma, Nishikido Ryo, Kimura Takuya, Matsumoto Jun, Nagase Tomoya and Okada Junichi are all good actors.

I'd add Shunsuke Kazama (Soredemo Ikite Yuku), Ninomiya and Kusanagi to the list.
BTW, how come you put an actor who overact 90% of given lines (Matsumoto) and wooden one like Nishikido on that group?

MachiavellismX wrote: Haha that's so true. But Yamada Ryosuke has like the older Johnny's a lot of experience. He is acting since 7 years and I believe I just started watching Dramas around that time, when he started. He was cute in Tantei Gakuen Q but you could see that he was still a bit uncomfortable and still had a lot to learn. And now he is really good for his young age. You mentioned Risou no Musuko. Compared to his early works, this one was really good, because of his acting. I'm looking forward to his future work, because I think he will be able to play the really deep characters someday, when you know what I mean haha

Yup he's better than every JE's young actors, but he will be still slaughtered easily by real actors like Kamiki and Sometani. I also have the same feeling toward Yuto Nakajima (Engine). They were potentially good child actors, but JE's system killed that talent, so they do not develop they acting talent properly, unlike those who are not idols.

tampopo100 wrote: Lol that doesn't take away from the fact that many of the Juniors can't act now. I acknowledge that they can improve...but for some, acting maybe just isn't their specialty. Prime example: Yamashita Tomohisa. I think that they need to train them better before they debut in dramas, or at least figure out which ones actually have a passion for acting and which ones just won't get it. Most (if not all) Johnny's are chosen just for their appearance. No matter how much some people are trained, they just won't be good actors or singers. Unfortunately, in the idol world, talent or skill doesn't matter, it's all about charisma and appeal...

I second that, that's the biggest problem they had. I afraid that it will backfire someday if they continue the "dirty" practices

femmedesneiges wrote:
I disagree that having charisma or appeal isn't a talent or skill, and not just in the context of the idol world. Maybe if Code Blue had starred Eita instead of Yamashita I'd have liked it more. But if "Shuuji and Akira" weren't "Kame and Yamapi", Nobuta wo Produce wouldn't have been half as fun.

Hahaha...I think I am the only one who think the same idea....that Yamashita fella was far too young and far too wooden to play such character. I'd say Tsumabuki would be marvelous to play that character, even compared to Eita.
MatusJun overacts his lines? Hmmm I would have to disagree. If anyone does that it would be Sakurai Sho. I do wonder which direction Johnny's will take in the future though. It seems that each season has a new flock of Juniors or regular Johnny's in dramas. They are slowly taking over...
tampopo100 wrote: MatusJun overacts his lines? Hmmm I would have to disagree. If anyone does that it would be Sakurai Sho. I do wonder which direction Johnny's will take in the future though. It seems that each season has a new flock of Juniors or regular Johnny's in dramas. They are slowly taking over...

I predict they will be going nowhere. They will stay the same as it is now, unless they take radical measures to improve the youngster's acting ability. If only they realize that they are going to wrong way....

Anyway, the "radical measure" stuff I said before can be meant to be serious, not rudimentary, acting division established to cater those who wants, and able to seriously take path in career. They have to cast children and teenagers who are really raw talents and train them thoroughly so they can be very capable when ready. Either they eventually brand them as a new form of idols (acting idols) or not, its not a big deal, as long as they are good.

About Matsumoto, I think you should consider rewatching his shows as non-fanboy/girl. You'll find out why he is not on par to thespians by the likes of Eita or Yamada. Ninomiya has potential to be a very good actor if he is not in JE. Somehow JE does not let him to improve in acting
So pretty much what they did with Ikuta Toma. He didn't become an idol but an actor. And it worked out good for him!
tampopo100 wrote: So pretty much what they did with Ikuta Toma. He didn't become an idol but an actor. And it worked out good for him!

and we need more guys like him and Kazama (both JE's dedicated actors) on the field
in my opinion only nino is the only great actor among je.....toma ikuta is not that great imo tho i love ozosaki no himowari...... I love hanazawa naoki and sakai masato is better actor than all je actors combined..... about young actors......I think that sometani guy had this potential to be a great actor....also kenta hayashi is great also and for great actors, japanese people dont like great actors, example rinko kikuchi.... have you notice that in japan tv actors are more famous than movie actors? so if you want to know how good the actor is just look how many movies he had....just look at tsubamuki satoshi...... And for that idol thing......have you notice what happen to yamada takayuki when he stops doing dramas......im talking about h2 and taiyou no uta those two dramas force him for being an idol not an actor....tho sekai no chusin and byakuyakou are both masterpiece....he did crow zero, 13 assassins, milocrorze those movies he cant do if he remain being an idol...
realdeal wrote: in my opinion only nino is the only great actor among je.....toma ikuta is not that great imo tho i love ozosaki no himowari......

I love hanazawa naoki and sakai masato is better actor than all je actors combined.....

about young actors......I think that sometani guy had this potential to be a great actor....also kenta hayashi is great also

Someya is a genius, hands down...while Hayashi is actually good but his consistency is quite erratic. Sometimes he might exhibit poor form (perhaps due to weak directing or poor script) while when in his day he will blow everyone's mind. However, this problem also occurs in majority good actors and actresses, but as they move on and gain experience (and audacious enough to break off her/his typecast and/or more cautious in choosing roles) they will be accomplished actors

realdeal wrote:
have you notice that in japan tv actors are more famous than movie actors? so if you want to know how good the actor is just look how many movies he had....just look at tsubamuki satoshi......

And for that idol thing......have you notice what happen to yamada takayuki when he stops doing dramas......im talking about h2 and taiyou no uta those two dramas force him for being an idol not an actor....tho sekai no chusin and byakuyakou are both masterpiece....he did crow zero, 13 assassins, milocrorze those movies he cant do if he remain being an idol...

Somehow I have to agree with your statement toward Yuusha. Poor Nino, if only he is not attached to JE he might surpass some thespians like Oguri and even Eita effortlessly
I have to admit, I've dropped quite a few dramas this year and I have been bored as well. I've found a few winners like Kazoku Game, Last Cinderella, and Karamazov no Kyodai for Japanese dramas. For Korean dramas, I think it's finally starting to pick up as the currently airing stuff isn't bad. But there's nothing that has made me really look forward to it each week like Gaksital did last year.

Maybe look for classics?
I don't understand why you call kozuko game great acting.....for me that is overacting fake....just compare that show to hanazawa naoki and you will know what i mean.
MachiavellismX wrote: Is it just me or are the Dramas this year really boring? I can't help it... there is nothing interesting and new...
Even Galileo Season 2 was disappointing...

What do you guys think?

@MachiavellismX : I'm agree with Galileo 2 being dissapointed, like, its the biggest dissapointment this year (for me)! Galileo 1 was great (imo), but the production team just like desperate to gain a high rating by using Fukuyama Masaharu and made the 2nd season, they realize it has been a while a getsu9 drama mostly flop. in Galileo 2, every crime case is lack of science material yet, the police detective is really stupid for keep ask a help from university professor even for the easiest case, also stupid annoying female lead (how dare they replace Utsumi-kun with cocky and stupid rookie detective), utsumi was very likeable (and I ship Yukawa and Utsumi).

For 2013 drama, I will recommend Karamazov no Kyodai, Last Cinderella (its quite soapy, but still exciting if you like a Kdramaish plot), Soratobu Kouhoushitsu, Saikou no Rikon, and Hanzawa Naoki is really a must watch!

LOL at Japanese people didnt like great actor,, off course japanese TV drama actor is more popular, because tv is the easiest entertainment access in a household, also japanese in general might be rarely going to cinema/movie teather to watch movie, because movie ticket in Japan is very expensive (even more expensive than in US).
[QUOTE=sakai masato is better actor than all je actors combined.....[/QUOTE]

I completely agree :) Though I haven't had time to watch Hanzawa Naoki yet, I will definitely watch it over the holidays :)
Forgot about this thread...

Random thoughts:

Ninomiya is the best actor in Johnny's bar none (possibly excepting Kazama). Coming from someone who hates his idol persona's guts, he never fails to charm and convince me when he's in character. The consistently worst, for me, are Yamashita, Ohkura, Akanishi and Sakurai. Akanishi and Sakurai were/are the two that can get by on charisma/idol-factor.

Sakurai is various shades of fake. I actually like his "crazy" acting in Kazoku Game and The Quiz Show 2, but anything that requires expressing emotion is beyond him. His approach is very business-like.

Matsumoto in Smile was the one time I actually thought, hmm, this guy's going somewhere. Recent (the ones in their late-prime now, past 8 years?) Johnny's generally have a spark of potential in one role that gives me hope for their future performance, and they always fall back down to average or worse.

I guess I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone fascinated by idols and their integration within the industry more than someone concerned about acting skills. I'm really a terrible judge of talent.

lontongstroong wrote: Hahaha...I think I am the only one who think the same idea....that Yamashita fella was far too young and far too wooden to play such character. I'd say Tsumabuki would be marvelous to play that character, even compared to Eita.

Still ashamed to say I've never paid attention to anything Tsumabuki is in.
even tonshi densetsu no onna get season 2 this dorama very boring and the story is so-so