Kanha:

Of course the actors are very important too, it´s not easy spending hours watching  an actor that shows no appeal to you.  It would be too much of a waste of time watching a drama with a boring plot and actors that doesn´t even capture your interest.

But then, what kind of appeal are we talking about? There are plenty of shows I've dropped or had a hard time watching because I just couldn't stand the main leads, an example would be Kill me, Heal me. I loved and finished that drama and found that Ji Sung was an excellent actor in all of his "personalities" though I had a hard time with Hwang Jung Eum, I found her character/acting to be a bit too much, and that in most dramas I've seen her play in, though to be honest it could be more because of the character (she tend to have especially weird roles I guess). I think the appeal of an actor/actress is, again, mainly his/her acting and that can be influenced by what role (s)he has in a drama/movie.

Recently I finished Just Between Lovers. I didn't like Kang Han Na's (Jung Yoo Jin) acting, I found her character and acting to be mostly bland and yet I do believe she's gorgeous.  Then I recently started watching the drama Mother (Korean version) and she had more of a guest/support role but I recognized her and her acting in there was actually good, it didn't seem bland as it was in Just Between Lovers, I thought then she could have a main role and I could like it.

I think the character an actor/actress play as is a very important factor when it comes to appeal and it has to do with the story and not really the actor itself. 

I mainly go for the story, but there are a handful of actors that I will watch purely because they are in it. I have tortured myself many a time for their presence. Examples would be The K2 for JCW and Yong Pal for for Joo Won. :p

CherryBunny:

I mainly go for the story, but there are a handful of actors that I will watch purely because they are in it. I have tortured myself many a time for their presence. Examples would be The K2 for JCW and Yong Pal for for Joo Won. :p

I love Joo Won acting since I've seen him in both The Bridal Mask, King of Baking, Kim Tak Goo and even Naeil's Cantabile but I've dropped Yong Pal sadly, didn't like it at all.

CherryBunny:

I do often do this. K2 is a very good example. Not because Wookie was a bad actor, but other actors made it bad

To Halwynth
I think the character an actor/actress play as is a very important factor when it comes to appeal and it has to do with the story and not really the actor itself.
---> some actors can still nail a role despite it is poorly written. I skip many scenes/episodes because a chraracter is too ignorant that it becomes too annoying to watch. :D

NiandNa:

I do often do this. K2 is a very good example. Not because Wookie was a bad actor, but other actors made it bad

To Halwynth
---> some actors can still nail a role despite it is poorly written. I skip many scenes/episodes because a chraracter is too ignorant that it becomes too annoying to watch. :D

I rarely ever finish a drama if any of the main lead role is poorly writer but I do agree with the fact that some actors can nail a role even if it's poorly written, though it doesn't make me want to finish it haha. I used to when I started watching dramas a decade ago, I still don't know why I liked and finished boys over flowers, but I guess I was young and there wasn't as many good dramas as there are now

Irusu:

If I could, both but I say story. Watching a drama just for eye candy could be boring af!

if the drama is not 50 episodes, I can manage to fast forward and watch the parts I like because I really want to know how the story ends, not just by watching the last episode :)
I admit some stories made me drop the drama anyway. Eye candy or not....

Hmm... well, to be clear, there have also been dramas I've  watched because of a favorite actor, but even then, it's about more than  just "eye candy" for me. And it doesn't matter how much I like an actor  - if the story and characters aren't working for me, I'll drop it. (For  example, Lee Min Ho is a favorite, but I dropped "Boys Over Flowers"  and "The Heirs." I just couldn't get into those shows.)

But AhRa - there's nothing wrong with  your reason for watching dramas. lol If it's about eye candy for you, so  what? The main purpose is entertainment, and if that is what maintains  your interest, it's all good. :D

Oh my Yong Pal was a total fail despite its potential and visual appeal to me.

I always choose based on ratings and story. If those two match (high rating and interesting story), it's automatically added. Eye candy is tertiary and besides, there's always gonna be some eye candy, be they main characters or minor ones. 

Just Between Lovers, for example, I picked up because of the story. I guess I also picked it to discover new actors (to me). It's refreshing to see new faces.

celestialocean:
there have also been dramas I've  watched because of a favorite actor, but even then, it's about more than  just "eye candy" for me. And it doesn't matter how much I like an actor  - if the story and characters aren't working for me, I'll drop it. (For  example, Lee Min Ho is a favorite, but I dropped "Boys Over Flowers"  and "The Heirs." I just couldn't get into those shows.)

I have to agree there!  Although I do try my best to finish a drama even if I have to skip half of it (just because I don't like to leave them unfinished) there are cases where I can't finish them no matter how many times I've tried... Boys over flowers being one of them, but also Bel Ami (I love both Jang geun suk and IU but the drama just didn't do it for me)

Storyline is the first thing that attracts me, the eye candy being a mere plus. If the storyline is poorly executed, maybe, just maybe I stick around for an actor I find attractive, but more often than not they are the only interesting characters (and sometimes they aren't even eye candy). 

However I must admit there are ocasions I found myself curious about dramas with actors I liked the previous work, but this is more because I appreciate their acting than for their beauty.

I watched 2 dramas till know and I'm going to say I'm not watching for 'eye candy'. Sure, it's a bonus,but I don't know any korean actors or actresses so I can't watch  for that. But I do recognize that there were 2 actors in those dramas that caught my eye and I will watch some dramas with them in it. :D

its gotta be a mix if theres no eye candy i tend to drop it but if theres no story ill drop it too

anushkaxsarkar:

its gotta be a mix if theres no eye candy i tend to drop it but if theres no story ill drop it too

Yup, exactly! Sometimes I even only start realizing that there is some eye candy because the story keeps me hooked (just so happened with Just Between Lovers, where the great story made me stick to the drama and ultimately I fell for Junho ♡♡)

For me it's more about story/plot (+pretty posters :D), if it interests me I'll check it out but I do try dramas because of a certain actor of actress too and if plot of that said drama is also good, I am even more excited. ^^

Eye candy is good but can't last long with me. There NEEDS to be a good story, just pretty actors running around and nothing interesting happening around is a No-No, for me. ha ha 

To be honest, most actors/actresses are pretty on any dramas anyway, being pretty is somewhat a requirement nowadays to be the lead in any dramas (unlike movies) so It's not like anyone would really need to search to find a good-looking actor/actress, they're everywhere.