There is no doubt that Korea makes some of the best and most high quality dramas in the world.

There is no way that for example America could make a drama like "Its Okay thats Love",  or "Signal". The quality is just different. Korea is playing in a different league, a superior league . Japanese dramas don't stand a chance either.

This is no bash against other countries's dramas, but I think we all can agree that Korea makes some mindblowing stuff.

Why does Korea make the best dramas on this planet? How come they can be so good and be on a so different level from all other countries? 

I'm not sure what you mean by "quality" because honestly most American TV shows are preproduction with higher budgets, and are technically produced with better quality.

I think the reason kdramas are superior is that unlike most American TV they are usually focused on the story, whereas American TV tends to drag everything out into multiple seasons. So kdramas are more immediate gratification. Also kdramas are more creative imho because they are often current in themes and try to appeal to the viewers interests. Whereas the process of getting American shows broadcast is more representative of what networks think viewers want. Kdramas are shorter so you have more shows a year for variety with the diverse concepts. Also since most are broadcast as they are filming productions can adjust to trends and have more flexibility in storylines. Whereas in America it's pretty much all set in stone by the time it aired. But probably the most important thing is just the extreme cultural differences. I myself am the biggest fan of the rom-com genre because unlike American TV where kissing/sex is nothing and humor tends to be more sarcastic/rude/crude kdramas have more restraint/dignity. They remind me more of classic Hollywood films. Also police/medical/legal/thrillers are better because it's usually less violent than American and more about corruption, social issues and human behavior. No to cerebral to be boring but not to insubstantial to be satisfying.

My understanding of Japan is because most people don't watch drama tv shows like in Korea, China, America etc. I've been told securing funding for dramas are crazy hard so that is why must shows are so low budget or fan fueled. Because the profit in them is extremely limited and the effort/cost to distribute them is not favorable. 

But you have to admit China has upped their game significantly, especially in the past few years. Some even predict they are on par right now with kdramas in content and actually surpassing them with production quality. I can't say I disagree tbh with a lot of the disappointing dramas and broadcast/production issues that happened in 2017.

They cater to the audience, and I for one appreciate it.

LoL. I mirror @MyDramaObsession post. Storywise, the more episodes get made from a story the more draggy it becomes, thus see some drop off from dramas with extended episodes. Thus you cant compare American Series as their entirety fo all its season (some stretching to 10 seasons even) to kdramas which has a concise story in 1 season only. Thats a little imbalance in comparison. If comparisons will be made for story and narrative epicness, make it for the first 2 season of american series to korean. I think that is somewhat comparable though not really full comparable.

And i totally definitely agree with @MydramaObsessions thoughts on chinese dramas. While I agree that Signal and Its okay its love is simply and definitely epic. Last year was a little laid back as compared to how good dramas  the previous years and also compared to how chinese dramas have been 

Thus I dont think korea has made the best drama there is in asia. I know its all mostly subjective, so we may differ in idea. But if you havent watched the drama Nirvana in Fire, then try it.  For me that drama is simply the best.  

Quality wise, s.korea are one of the top budget productions in asia. But china still edge them out the past fee years. Just try their recent dramas in All Quiet in Peking, Battle of Changsa, Ten Miles pf peach blossom, the disguiser... this high quality and epic dramas are awe-inspiring, for me that is. 

I don't think Koreans make the best dramas in the world either LOL. It's quite subjective!! Every country has their good and bad shows.

DancingGoat:

There is no doubt that Korea makes some of the best and most high quality dramas in the world.

There is no way that for example America could make a drama like "Its Okay thats Love",  or "Signal". The quality is just different. Korea is playing in a different league, a superior league . Japanese dramas don't stand a chance either.

This is no bash against other countries's dramas, but I think we all can agree that Korea makes some mindblowing stuff.

Why does Korea make the best dramas on this planet? How come they can be so good and be on a so different level from all other countries? 

i do understand what you mean, but they do not make the best drama in the world, Chinese drama are good and in a way really mature at least the ones that does not try to copy Korean, I am referring to the ones with a huge budget. Not to be disrespectful but how old are you......... you sound like you are  13-15 years old. 

krystalsoojungs:

I don't think Koreans make the best dramas in the world either LOL. It's quite subjective!! Every country has their good and bad shows.

definitely true, the audience that watches Korean drama is really small compare to the other countries like India, china and America. But they are kind of different............

krystalsoojungs:

Can you mention any other country on the planet that for example has made a drama like Signal, Its Okay thats love, Dear My Friends or Chicago Typewriter, with the same high quality writing, story and pace? 

Also thanks for some great replies, especially by MyDramaObsession!

failuresx5:

i do understand what you mean, but they do not make the best drama in the world, Chinese drama are good and in a way really mature at least the ones that does not try to copy Korean, I am referring to the ones with a huge budget. Not to be disrespectful but how old are you......... you sound like you are  13-15 years old. 

Im not into Chinese dramas simply because I in general don't to likeChina, Chinese people or the Chinese language. This is no attack against anyone or China, this is just my opinion and comes from personal experiences after having to live in China for a few years for work.

And I am 35 ^_^

But I will be willing to try a Chinese drama that is in the same quality as Signal, do you have any recommendations? 

DancingGoat:

Im not into Chinese dramas simply because I in general don't to likeChina, Chinese people or the Chinese language. This is no attack against anyone or China, this is just my opinion and comes from personal experiences after having to live in China for a few years for work.

And I am 35 ^_^

But I will be willing to try a Chinese drama that is in the same quality as Signal, do you have any recommendations?

Was going to recommend some Chinese dramas but now I'm a bit unsure lol because if you don't like China, Chinese people, or Chinese language in general...........Chinese dramas probably aren't for you tbh, but it's okay, to each their own :D

lol please dont compare to US. lol

I think that Korea makes the best serial dramas in eastern asia: my opinion is their dramas tend to be better than Japanese or Chinese. 

Partly because they were the first ones to really promote the hallyu wave of soft power, they have decades of experience, and as such international demand ie more money to work with for productions in general. 

However, I think the big thing is the heart and emotional storytelling that emerged uniquely from Korean culture over the years. I can't remember a movie ending that got me to cry as much as "train to busan" which would be just another zombie movie if it were made anywhere else. 

They really just do a great job of combining many elements: Comedy, Romance, Suspense, and Fantasy, into 1 and it just really comes together beautifully when they get it right. 

DancingGoat:

And I am 35 ^_^

THEN YOUR OPINION IS QUITE  SUBJECTIVE !!! I NOW UNDERSTAND THANK YOU.

usablefiber:

I think that Korea makes the best serial dramas in eastern asia: my opinion is their dramas tend to be better than Japanese or Chinese. 

Partly because they were the first ones to really promote the hallyu wave of soft power, they have decades of experience, and as such international demand ie more money to work with for productions in general. 

However, I think the big thing is the heart and emotional storytelling that emerged uniquely from Korean culture over the years. I can't remember a movie ending that got me to cry as much as "train to busan" which would be just another zombie movie if it were made anywhere else. 

They really just do a great job of combining many elements: Comedy, Romance, Suspense, and Fantasy, into 1 and it just really comes together beautifully when they get it right. 

WHEN YOU ARE  TALKING ABOUT BUDGET OR MONEY THEN YOU ARE WRONG DO YOUR  RESEARCH THE INDUSTRY  CAPABLE OF BEATING AMERICAN INDUSTRY IS CHINA  AND INDIAN, AND THE AMOUNT OF PROFIT THEY MAKE FROM THEIR SERIES AND MOVIE AM SO SORRY TO SAY IS MORE THAN KOREAN. 

It's all a matter of personal taste. I'm Chinese myself, but I tend to prefer Korean dramas, even though overall I can say that they're largely hit and miss for me, as a lot of the commonly hyped Korean dramas (e.g. DoTS, Goblin, The Heirs) really didn't appeal to me and I lost interest very early on, so it's very subjective. Once they really grab my interest and make me invested with the plot and the characters (I agree with the emotional storytelling as usablefiber mentioned and a lot of mydramaobsession's points too), I'm sold. If not, they get dropped as soon as my interest is gone and I don't care for the plot or characters... which is what I did very early on with Bride of Habaek.

For me personally, I rarely watch Chinese dramas or HK dramas (even though I watched a lot of HK dramas when I was younger) is because in Chinese dramas the dubbing puts me off for some reason and detracts from the genuineness a little as it's quite obvious sometimes when the audio doesn't match up with the mouth movements of the actors, but this is just a personal gripe more than anything. I feel like it detracts from me really feeling the emotion/wanting to root for character in a lot of cases too, and prefer hearing the natural voices of the actors, although I'm fully aware that it's necessary when the actor isn't proficient enough at Mandarin or they need another dialect. If it's not too badly synced I can overlook it sometimes. As for HK dramas the quality has definitely gone downhill since the late 2000's, so I don't bother anymore and neither does my family.

That and again, most of the commonly recommended/talked about Chinese dramas are pretty long and American shows even longer (which is why I've pretty much stopped watching American TV shows, as they drag far too much and I'm not a fan of too much filler or too many episodes where nothing really happens to drive the story forward), so I appreciate the relatively shorter amount of time it generally takes for me to finish a Korean drama and continue watching more series. I don't want to start watching something and have to sit through episodes and episodes of filler in order to find out what happens at the end, it's a waste of time in my opinion, so I'd likely watch and drop if it reaches that point where I'm bored or just don't really care for the characters.