Hi guys, I am a huge Kdrama fan and doing a dissertation in my Uni on character development in dramatic works of art and I was wondering whether anybody would have a few minutes to answer the following questions?

There is no need to answer questions that you feel do not apply to you. 

I would really appreciate any help!

I will answer them myself as well, just to give an example and because I like doing anything Kdrama related hehe. Please note that my replies can be a little passionate otherwise I wouldn't choose to write this dissertation, right? ^^

Characterization comparison: Western dramatic works of art to Kdrama.

1. In what part of the world do you live? (Either a continent or a country)

2. What is your mother tongue?

3. What do you watch more often Kdrama or Western(English language based) TV shows/ movies? Why do you think that is?

4. What do you think about character development in either of them?

5. On average do you find that the characters in one are more developed than the other?

6. Is there anything you don’t like about Kdrama?

7. Is there anything you don’t like about Western TV shows?

8. How and why did you start watching Kdrama?

9. Do you ever go to theatre?

10. If yes are you satisfied with the theatre of today? Please specify why yes or no?

11. Would you go more often/ enjoy it more if the plot/character development was closer to Kdrama? Please elaborate why?

12. What do you think of character development in today’s theatre?

13. Do you prefer watching theatrical works that are character or plot driven? Please elaborate why?

My Answers: 

1. Europe

2. Russian

3. I barely ever watch Western TV at all anymore and even when I start I get bored easily and drop stuff.

4. For me that is one of the biggest reasons why I get bored with Western TV so easily,  it's either the plot isn't my cup of tea or characters just fall flat and seem 2 dimensional.
While in Kdrama more often than not we often meet people that are not pure perfection or pure evil, we see different sides to them and begin to understand them, which in my opinion is much closer to the real life.

5. Yes usually in Kdrama, or at least much of the stuff that I have watched so far that was made after 2010.

6. Some of the acting can be a little theatrical, but it isn't a big problem for me.

7. For me, it lacks charm. I often feel they only make good shows for certain groups of population and think the rest will be ok with boring/ badly done stuff.  Don't get me wrong there are brilliant gems out there, but in my opinion, they are rare.

8. I saw some stuff being recommended on one of the forums I used to frequent back in 2016. I remember saying on it about how dissatisfied I was with whatever was on in the cinema/TV at the moment and saying that I can only think of about 1 recent movie that I have seen in the previous 5 years that I truly enjoyed. After explaining my taste I was recommended to watch "Cheese in the Trap" and I have been a Kdrama addict since then. 

9. Yes

10.  Not really, I think it's mainly due to my preference of well-developed characters and at the same time romance themes, which don't seem to go hand in hand that often in contemporary theatre. 

11. Oh yes, a dream come true for me. It is full of the opposite of what I have written in 10. 3-dimensional characters and romance themes in one package. 

12. Specified in 10. 

13. Character driven. I love emotions and more often than not the contemporary theatre practitioners choose to focus either on one or the other. 

1. In what part of the world do you live? (Either a continent or a country) Mexico

2. What is your mother tongue? Spanish

3. What do you watch more often Kdrama or Western(English language based) TV shows/ movies? 

• I'd say recently I've watched more Kdramas than Western, but I have seen my fair share of western. Movie-wise, I still watch predominantly western films. 

Why do you think that is? 

• Movies, I'd say it's because western movies have more variety to offer. Drama-wise, I like K-dramas because they are short. Whereas, most Western series tend to extend to multiple seasons (sometimes 6+). Having multiple seasons and having to wait long periods of time in between, means that I forget to follow it and end up dropping it without really meaning to. Sometimes I would just wait for the entire series to end before watching it (like I did with LOST and Dexter, to name a few). 
  • Another thing I like about Asian Dramas is the refreshing idea that men can cry. I like some of the male protagonists much more than the female ones (unfortunately), since they are most times built with more complexity.

• I think it really depends on the show and its quality. From what I've watched, I'd rank some Western shows way higher, but there's a number of reasons for this. First, they have more seasons to grow the characters out. Second, they tend to take more risks (especially Netflix, AMC and HBO shows), meaning you really do see characters struggle and become stronger as a result. Hulu's "The Handmaid's Tale" is a prime example of great character growth achieved subtly but surely. "Game of Thrones" also show really spot-on character growth. Even some CW shows such as "The 100th", "The Originals" and even "Vampire Diaries" show characters changing leaps and bounds through the seasons in a consistent way. 
  • K-dramas lack this ability to really make their characters struggle, especially romance-centered ones. Most times we have a disconnect between what we're told (she's strong) vs what we're shown (she's weak). It's almost like there's a glass ceiling placed on them. So that they can never be better than their male counterparts. In fact, I can count with a hand the number of times the female lead was the real heroine of the story. Or was built as a more interesting character than the male lead. 
  • Other times (and this one drives me nuts) there's a lack of true accountability in K-dramas. Male leads are allowed to get away with a lot of things without being held accountable by those who suffer at their hands. There's also this unwillingness to have a cold female lead, with most of them taking a moral guideline/guardian angel/virgin mary who forgives all deeds.  

5. On average do you find that the characters in one are more developed than the other?

• Depends on the series, but in general, I'd say Western characters are more developed. And they are also more unique. That's because once you've watched a number of K-dramas you start to see a lot of patterns/tropes emerging.

• Aside from what I've already mentioned, I get this feeling that most times writers are unwilling to put the female lead through real strife (unless it relates in one way or another to the male lead and his feelings for her). And since strife is needed to create a compelling character, that leaves you with many examples of interesting male leads and very few of their counterparts. I think that's also why articles relating to "strong female leads" keep popping out, whereas we never read any regarding "strong male leads". And that's because there's few of the former, too many of the latter.
  • I also dislike the awkwardness they showcase when it comes to romance. 
  • Oh, and the song choice. I find most romance series have these really cheesy songs that prompt me to turn the volume down. The slow-mo, multiple angles scenes of a certain action can also get on my nerves if overused. 

• Their length.
  • The fact that most times series focus too much on sex and not enough on love. For me, it's weird that two characters will sleep together on the third date, yet take forever to say "I love you". Personally, it should be the other way around. 
  • The belief that a strong character is the one that hides his or her feelings when emotional intelligence is --for me-- a mark of a great character. Emotional intelligence doesn't mean one must hide their feelings, but rather that they should learn to deal with them in a healthy way. 

• I started watching Kdramas halfway through 2017. My gateway drama was Strong Woman Da Bong Song, which Netflix added to their repertoire. I loved the role reversal and proceeded to watch Black (which blew me away) and Korean Odyssey (which was messy but had great composition). The rest is history. 

• Movie theater or play theater? I've gone to both, but less to the latter. There aren't enough good plays in the theater of my city. The movie theater I go every weekend. 

10. If yes are you satisfied with the theatre of today? Please specify why yes or no?

• With movies, I'd say no. I think we are craving more interesting stories that make sense. The audience is no longer composed of passive viewers, so directors and writers need to realize this and pay more attention to the details. For every 6 movies, I watch, I'll probably like 1, hate 3 and the rest I'm indifferent towards. 

11. Would you go more often/ enjoy it more if the plot/character development was closer to Kdrama? Please elaborate why?

• No, because the Kdrama movies I've watched suffer from the same issues western movies do. I will probably watch more indie movies if they were available, though. Because since they have to work with a small budget, they tend to take more risks and do interesting stories. 

• It's the same as five years ago. Hopefully, we'll see them change. TBH, books and some games blow character development out of the water. Since I'm a gamer, I tend to have high expectations and thus, get easily disappointed. 

13. Do you prefer watching theatrical works that are character or plot driven? Please elaborate why?

• I have no preference as long as it's a good story. But, to be frank, if the characters aren't at least likable/relatable/understandable, then chances are that I won't care about the story.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

1. Southeast Asia

2. Indonesian

3. These days, Kdramas. I used to watch quite a few American shows, but nowadays there's just too many shows to choose that it becomes overwhelming. And I'm not really a fan of the multi-season format. Some of the American shows that I watched started off good but ended up losing steam. With prime-time Kdramas, most of them ends in 16, 24, or 50 at most, and I like that.

4.  It depends on the show, I guess. Some shows, be it "western" or Korean, have good character development, and others don't.

5. No, not really

6. Their tendency towards melodrama, exacerbated by the liveshooting system. Sometimes they really have good, solid story for, say, 10 episodes, but in order to boost up rating and increase viewers' engagement, the screenwriters/directors would add some melodramatic elements (parents' disapproval, secret identity revealed, whatever) that felt artificial.

7. Their multiseason format

8. From a friend during the first Hallyu boom in Southeast Asia in early 2000s. I came to her house for a study session and ended up watching Full House (the old one) together. I hated Rain's character with a passion, but Full House served as a gateway for me to the world of Kdramas.

9. No

1. In what part of the world do you live? (Either a continent or a country)  Sweden

2. What is your mother tongue? Swedish

3. What do you watch more often Kdrama or Western(English language based) TV shows/ movies? Why do you think that is? Korean dramas at the moment. I don’t like that many western series because I feel like that they just try to make it longer for money purposes. Dragging a story that should have ended 3 seasons ago just destroys the series in my eyes.

4. What do you think about character development in either of them? Korean series can be very shallow, especially the ones that follows a certain trope like ’funny and lighthearted romance’. Although some Kdramas seems to go way deeper than most western ones like Come and Hug Me and My Mister. But generally speaking I feel like western dramas don’t have to follow  the stereotypes surrounding how a woman or a man should be, and because of that they get new kinds of characters that shows a more diversity and depth.

5. On average do you find that the characters in one are more developed than the other? Western series have more developed leads but Kdramas has better villains.

6. Is there anything you don’t like about Kdrama? I often feel like that they’re just revamping the same storyline over and over with different actors. We’ve seen enough medical dramas with the same kind om main leads and enough lawdramas for my lifetime just in the past two years. 

7. Is there anything you don’t like about Western TV shows? They try to make it too complicated and generally I lose the thrill after the first season. I think that I would watch more western series than kdramas if they were kept to one season. ALSO they make terrible romance series. Western countries don’t know how to make anything lighthearted without having too much comedic influences.

8. How and why did you start watching Kdrama? I was curious after seeing my friends mom watching an asian drama (don’t know from which country) so I tried and found it quite cringe in the beginning. Watched stuff like Boys Over Flowers and The Heirs.

9. Do you ever go to theatre? Movie theatre: Yes at least once a month, Real Theatre: Maybe once every 2 years

10. If yes are you satisfied with the theatre of today? Please specify why yes or no? I have multiple movie theatres in my town so Im happy with the big selection! We have one that shows more critically acclaimed movies and foreign ones, so I can watch korean movies on the cinema even though I live in Sweden.  

11. Would you go more often/ enjoy it more if the plot/character development was closer to Kdrama? Please elaborate why? Not really, I feel like the two of them should be kept apart. Korean dramas and western movies are two different things that has it’s own strengths and weaknesses. I feel like when western countries tries to make an ”kdrama”-esque series or movie they just destroy the plot and character-points completely. But I would enjoy if western series would take after the way of making a korean drama in the aspect of lenght of the show.

12. What do you think of character development in today’s theatre? Movies seem to show a generally lower level of character development, this is understandable due to the lack in time on screen. But I wish that they would put more thought into making the characters layered and give them believable motifs for making some of their decisions; Not just makinh them do stupid stuff to drive on the plot.

13. Do you prefer watching theatrical works that are character or plot driven? Please elaborate why? Character no question. I love following a character’s life through their eyes and seeing them change due to the things that happen to them. I feel that plot driven works often skip showing why someone would do an action and just try to go full steam ahead.

1. In what part of the world do you live? (Either a continent or a country) - USA

2. What is your mother tongue? - Malayalam

3. What do you watch more often Kdrama or Western(English language based) TV shows/ movies? Rather than KDrama, let me say I watch more Asian dramas/movies.

Why do you think that is? -  I can relate to the culture more. Also I am very fascinated by the similarities/differences in culture and language across these countries (Thai, Chinese,Urdu, Korean, Japanese, Philipines) etc with my own.

4. What do you think about character development in either of them? -  Many Western dramas goes on for years so they have a lot of time to add dimensions to the characters. Most asian dramas will be shorter , running only for coupe of seasons at the most, so they do have lesser opportunity. But I must say that most of asian dramas try to have better character development given the time they have.

5. On average do you find that the characters in one are more developed than the other?. Barring few exceptions, I find asian dramas have the better developed characters given their length. 

6. Is there anything you don’t like about Kdrama? - Their tendency to show /talk about bodily functions like vomiting, picking noses, pooping. I also do not see any LGBTQ characters in KDramas.In many KDramas, the ML/FL are shown driving without obeying the rules(eg you can clearly see that road sign says only right turn on that lane, the character will drive straight or left). Also they do tend to judge people based on looks sometimes. 

7. Is there anything you don’t like about Western TV shows?  The western characters do tend to fall in a relationship easily and break up easily. But there are western shows like Big Bang Theory , Modern family, Young Sheldon etc which I am addicted to.

8. How and why did you start watching Kdrama? - Turkish dramas were getting translated in Hindi and was being shown in Indian television. I was on a career break and when I tried to find Turkish ones online, I could not but found KDramas were easily available. 

9. Do you ever go to theatre? - No, unless anyone I know is taking part in it.

10. If yes are you satisfied with the theatre of today? Please specify why yes or no? - NA

11. Would you go more often/ enjoy it more if the plot/character development was closer to Kdrama? Please elaborate why? - I am not sure.I am a homebody and rarely even go out for movies.Cost is also another factor.

12. What do you think of character development in today’s theatre? - NA

13. Do you prefer watching theatrical works that are character or plot driven? Please elaborate why? - If at all I go to Theatre, I would rather watch plot driven ones.

Thanks

• Europe

• English

3. What do you watch more often Kdrama or Western (English language based) TV shows/ movies? Why do you think that is?

• In recent years, I've watched mostly Asian cinema and TV. I like variety so I'm happy to have an alternative source of entertainment, besides Western TV/cinema (which I've more or less become somewhat disillusioned with over the years). Moreover, Asian dramas in general, not just Kdramas, provide a fascinating glimpse into cultures that, prior to my foray into this world, was relatively unknown to me. I've always been a traveler and lover of art, culture  & languages, so also for these reasons there was a natural draw toward Asian TV & cinema. Finally, it's interesting to observe the similarities and differences between and among cultures, including my own.

• I find character development in Asian cinema, and often TV, more unassailable. The characters seem more relatable and human to me; they invoke a lot more emotion in me than any Western character ever had. Asian creatives are preoccupied with depicting human realism (sometimes to a fault), whilst Western movies & shows tend to appeal to idealism. In Asian cinema/TV, when it comes to their most complex characters, they are neither saints nor villains, there are many, many shades of grey. I can often find myself having very strong reactions to the actions and behaviours of certain characters, wondering how I would handle a similar situation (Temptation) OR understanding a character's motivation to act a certain way, even though I may strongly disagree with the behaviour overall (Golden Empire). In Western shows, the heroes/heroines are often presented with almost god-like proportions, morally superior & are almost never at fault. While they may make mistakes, they just never feel as profound or poignant as their Asian counterparts. As such, I'm often left indifferent, neither liking nor disliking them.

• Now it's been a minute since I've followed a western series so my memory may be a bit hazy. I remember years ago I was quite impressed with the character development in The Tudors, particularly Henry V & a few other characters. Also, to an extent, Prison Break (T-Bag). In general, I think I tend to like the characterizations in Asian cinema & certain dramas (genre dependent) more. As I said before, they're more relatable and human to me, but Western cinema get it right, in a way that I like, sometimes.

• Lots! Which is why I can only take them in small doses. I dislike the mass-produced, lazy, cliche, formulaic writing. Every genre has a very rigid formula from which it basically never steers clear and it gets pretty tedious and frustrating, if you watch a particular genre long enough. Somehow, I can't remember having similar reactions to Western shows, which are far more diverse in storytelling and character arc types. Due to cultural considerations, there's a limit to what can be shown on network TV in Korea. Some aspects of Korean society are completely shut out from mainstream TV. Can you imagine a drama like The Client List on Korean TV? I sure can't. Mistress was a flop for exactly the reason why a Korean The Client List wouldn't work. The subject matter was too provocative for general audiences, even on 'cable' TV. There's also the issue of maintaining "societal harmony", something that's rooted in Confucianism - the moral compass of Korean society. So certain gender roles & stereotypes are hardly ever questioned. Moving on, I absolutely hate how orchestrated, awkward and fake intimacy in Kdramas is portrayed. I also dislike meddling parents who want to totally run their adult children's lives & that these children very rarely check this behaviour (as is quite typical in real life in SK). This is another example of TV being used to condition people's behaviour .... in this case, toward filial piety, another pillar of the Confucianist value system.

• How preachy they get sometimes. I'm relatively conservative, so a lot of this new age stuff I'm not into. I like alpha males (within reason). I don't like how feminized and metrosexual men in western shows have become. And like many others I hate that you have to wait years for the conclusion of your favourite shows. This is not to say, these issues don't also appear in Asian dramas (with the exception of seasonal shows), they do ... but I find that they're more rare or there's slightly more variety of shows that are more to my taste/values/interests.

• I work on & off in the film industry (producer, sometimes writer/director). In 2011 I went to the Berlinale Film Festival in Berlin, Germany. I met Hyun Bin (without knowing it was HYUN BIN... LOL!). He was there with a movie called Come Rain, Come Shine. It was weird, I still don't know if I like it or not, but I saw lots of other amazing Asian films and thought cool ... I should check out Asian cinema more. But after the festival, life happened and I forgot about it all. Then 2012 rolled in, I went to another festival & saw Nameless Gangster with Ha Jung Woo (who I vaguely recalled from CR,CS). Don't really know how I could've forgotten him because the man was and is so damn charismatic on screen! His performance in Nameless Gangster was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. I went online to find more of his films & fell into a rabbit hole! Haven't looked back since!

• So I call 'movie theatre' cinema, and will refer to it as such from here on out because referring to a cinema as 'theatre' is just too confusing for me! LOL I used to go to the cinema a lot in my teenage and young adult years, before movies and shows became so widely available on streaming sites, both legal and illegal. Now, outside of film festivals I basically never go to the cinema unless its for 'special' occasions. Like a date or as a group event, or if I particularly want to see a film on the big screen. Also when I'm traveling I usually like to visit the local cinema at least once, just to mingle with the locals & people watch (when I'm not watching the movie of course :).

Real theatre, as in stage theatre, I do. But it's been ages. Last time I went to the theatre was in London ... I want to say around 2010 or 2011. I saw Cat On A Hot Tin Roof with James Earl Jones. It was fantastic experiencing that amazing, booming voice of his up close and personal, rather than through a TV screen. Prior to that, I'd gone to some shows on Broadway in New York City. I should go again soon, now that you remind me. I love the theatre!

10. If yes are you satisfied with the cinema* of today? Please specify why yes or no?

• I don't tend to keep up with mainstream cinema. I'm particularly interested in cinema as an art form so my preferences are arthouse films & artistic genre films, in particular thrillers, mysteries & suspense. These aren't typically available in traditional Western cinema, esp the former, so I mostly depend on film festivals to find the type of films I like. These days Western cinema seem to be overrun with superhero movies & I'm not really into that. Therefore, in that sense, I've not been satisfied with mainstream cinema. I also find a lot of the stories Western creatives want to tell, I'm not interested in. When it comes to Asian cinema, I can mostly find what I'm looking for, but I'm often disappointed by how they handle romantic drama, one of my favourite genres. Otherwise know as melodrama among Asian audiences, but in the West, melodrama is a sub genre of drama. In other words, not the same. Western cinema does this genre better, which gives it that one little edge over Asian cinema.

• Well, no. Not in terms of plot, at least. And I certainly don't want the awkward 'conservativedness' of intimacy as portrayed in Kdramas. Perhaps characterization, which I do think Koreans tend to do better when they attempt to draw a complex character. Otherwise, Western and Asian cinema work according to their prevailing cultures. When you try to Westernize a uniquely Asian story (eg. Boys Over Flower) & try to Asianize a uniquely Western story (Entourage) ... very rarely does it translate well, because of the cultural implications. On the other hand, a show like The Good Wife might pass since infidelity is a universal experience. I also like that there's that variety to choose from, so no reason for one to be more like the other in all things. Sometimes when I'm tired of the Asian formula, I seek out Western cinema. When I'm tired of the Western formula, I seek out Asian cinema.

12. What do you think of character development in today’s cinema*?

• I think it's pretty good if you go outside of traditional mainstream cinema and watch world cinema. The most profound films I've ever watched are not from the mainstream. That is not to say mainstream cinema never produce great characters, but I think world cinema is where you find those really intricate characterizations that leave a lasting impression on your memory, and make you think of the character/movie months, years after you've seen it. I love to support these brilliant filmmakers from around the world who never get the recognition they duly deserve.

13. Do you prefer watching cinematic* works that are character or plot driven? Please elaborate why?

• If I can choose, I'd choose cinematic works that are BOTH character and plot driven because I believe this is when cinema crosses over from being mere entertainment to being an art form. Usually when a picture achieves this, it is the calling card of a master storyteller (writer/director). In general, though, I have no preference as I appreciate great artistic expressions in all forms. So if I can only get one, but not the other ... I'll take it.

*Changed for personal linguistic purposes

I've spent most of my life living in North America, but I currently live in Asia.

English.

3. What do you watch more often Kdrama or Western(English language based) TV shows/ movies? Why do you think that is?

I watch more Asian dramas than Western dramas. Before I watched dramas I watched Bollywood movies, and before that I watched anime. I tend to get bored with most Western tv shows. Only a few have the level of epic relationships that I find satisfying and interesting enough to keep me watching. Those types of relationship dynamics are easier to find in Asian dramas. Getting exposure to other languages / cultures / settings is a plus.

4. What do you think about character development in either of them? 5. On average do you find that the characters in one are more developed than the other?

I don't really have anything to say on this topic.

6. Is there anything you don’t like about Kdramas?

When characters, especially family members, casually and constantly hit each other. When a character behaves horribly for ages and it adds nothing to the plot (it's usually a mother). When characters obey the ridiculous demands of their elders and everyone suffers. I understand being filial is extremely important, but these plot lines are extremely frustrating. Complete obedience to destructive people leads to destructive outcomes. IMO, it's not noble. When bullying is portrayed as romantic. When a character who treats another character horribly becomes a less awful person and gets a complete pass for their past behaviour even though they haven't actually redeemed themselves. Statue / frozen / wooden kisses. Aggressive forced kisses. When one character grabs another character's wrist and drags them around without explaining anything.

There are so many shows where it feels like nothing happens. Like the writers are just dragging things out like a student trying to meet a word limit when they have nothing to say, instead of sharing a great story with a strong middle, beginning, and end. And as I mentioned, epic romance or at least epic character relationships are rarely front and center. Fantasy and sci-fi shows that want to run for several seasons often get cancelled early before they can deliver. 

After I watched all the Bollywood films that interested me on Netflix, I tried to get into telenovelas so I could maintain my Spanish. I was only able to finish one. After that, I tried Moon Embracing the Sun on Netflix, but I was barely able to finish it. A year later when I started law school I tried a few more asian dramas on Netflix and eventually got hooked. It helped that I followed a few people on tumblr that sometimes posted about dramas.

I see musicals on rare occasions. Last year I went to Hamilton and Come From Away.

10. If yes are you satisfied with the theatre of today? Please specify why yes or no? 12. What do you think of character development in today’s theatre?

I don't have a strong opinion on these topics.

I don't think there's a clear connection to kdramas collectively as a model to follow, but I am generally not interested in dramas or theatre about everyday people in everyday life  or slice-of-life stories. I prefer more epic / dramatic stories that offer escapism rather than realism. That applies to the korean dramas I'm interested or not interested in watching, and to the musicals I'm interested / not interested in watching.

I suppose character-driven, but like I said I need a story that offers excitement and escapism. I have to care about the characters and I don't necessarily need a complex plot to hold my attention, but I do need something that brings the story out of day-to-day reality. The story has to have something that makes it epic. So a character-driven play about normal people doing normal things wont hold my attention any more than a theatrical production that is plot-driven but that doesn't have any characters that I care about. 

Finland

Finnish

At the moment mostly Kdramas. Western shows tend to never end and you are always waiting for the next season, that you may never be able to watch, because the network doesn't renew the contract or it just ends because it wasn't profitable. For older, completed shows, you'd have to buy DVD boxes that are expensive or you need to buy them internationally. I also have a soft spot for the culture; it's so different from where I'm from.

(Western means for me mostly American, I don't watch enough British shows)

Both mediums have their downsides. Western series span multiple seasons worth of character development: lots of things happen. But sometimes writing gets worse and/or characters stagnate: writers must be scared that we would stop watching if the main couple finally got together without misunderstandings etc. In Kdramas they have lots of fixed tropes (well so does western media) but they produce so much similar content that they are easier to spot. Filming and writing week by week and changes that come from immediate audience feedback can sometimes be hurtful for consistent character development. But you also know that there will be end and with good and consistent writing, character development is easier to see. Both mediums still bring unforgettable characters to life.

I think western dramas have the problem of stagnation but usually if the show is a short series with an ending, the characters get more development than your typical Kdrama. But the really good, outstanding Kdramas usually win regarding character development: in my opinion shows are more focused on characters in Kdramaworld.

The usual tropes and sometimes very old fashioned ways of thinking that can be found in dramas. Many dramas also lack good female characters.

Multiple seasons with writing that keeps getting worse and worse. I'd like to see more short series.

I was an avid manga and anime fan and at that time I also watched some j-dramas from Crunchyroll. They didn't blow me away at the time. One youtuber that I followed started to react to this one small kdrama called You are Beautiful but never finished. So this one evening when I didn't have anything to do I decided to check it out, because I remembered that the show seemed completely bonkers and hilarious. And rest is history! It's actually kind of funny that my first kdrama was by accident the typical gateway kdrama. It was also great bridge from japanese content since the ML is so tsundere.

Rarely. I would like to go more: my friends aren't really interested in those things and many of them live too far away. Also tickets are expensive.

I'd say yes. Many plays are adaptations of books, I'd like to see more original content. But I guess adaptations attract at least some audiences. Theatre as an art form has more impact when it takes risks. Last performance I went to, actors were naked some of it. It was quite an experience. Magnificent story though, based on a book, again.

I'd say no. I like to keep my interests seperate. At least I don't think it would translate well to Finnish theatre.  But I think it might be worth the risk and fusion works are always interesting.

I don't go to theatre enough to make assumptions.

It's mostly about the final execution, but usually I love both character driven and plot driven works. Character driven works tend to work better because in plot driven works, if the characters are too flat, you might not care about the plot part, but good characters can save a lot. In theatre I don't like too abstract works; I like to do some thinking but in the theatre I want to experience and feel the weight of feelings and actions on stage, and not be confused all the way through. This is mostly because you can't rewind the stage performance the way you would a movie that needs analysing.

1. In what part of the world do you live? (Either a continent or a country) Brazil

2. What is your mother tongue? Brazilian Portuguese

Kdramas. I like kdramas specially because of the lenght. We can find dramas with 16-20 episodes, 1 hour each, mostly. Western TV shows tend to have a lot of seasons, also, the story never ends on the first season and we have to wait almost another year to watch that again... Sometimes I don't even remember what happened before.

I believe that can be related to the question above. As we have a short lenght in kdrama world, when there is development, we can see it fast. In western shows, that could take seasons, for exemple, with Gossip Girl leads and 90210.

Not always. In kdramas sometimes the character is just as imature as it was at the begginig of the show. However, I think kdramas always want to give some message, so we can see a bad person turning good, os a bad person being punisehd, a naive girl becoming strong after hardships... 

I have a problem with the way woman are treated in some dramas. I believe a lot of dramas are changing, but I hate wrist grabbing and also excessive stalking. In real life that is not cute. Let's have healthy relationships. However, they also shows a lot of domestic violence and abusive workplace behaviours that I think are very important topics.

It is very common in western shows to show people naked and having sex. Ok, it is not a problem, sometimes I wish Kdrama would show futher the kissing, but sometimes this is what the show is all about. Also, too much woman and girls sexualization. As much as I think Game of Thrones is a good show, that was excessive for me. 

Also, too much violence with guns. I think in kdramas the action is more about martial arts than just shooting. I think sometimes this can give a bad message. Currently in my country there is a political situation with people using guns. I believe this kind of entertainment could send a message that "using guns is cool".

I started to take chinese class about 4 years ago. One of the best methods of learning a language is experiencing it as much as possible. So I watched A LOT of chinese and tawianese dramas, when I runned out of opitions, I moved on to kdramas and here I am.

No.

I don't really know much about it.

I don't think so. In my country the theater is something considered very classy and for smart people. Also it is expensive. Not every city have nice thaters or nice plays.

No opinion.

I believe the first thing that would attract me to watch a play would be the plot. 

1. In what part of the world do you live? (Either a continent or a country) - Philippines

2. What is your mother tongue? - Tagalog

3. What do you watch more often Kdrama or Western(English language based) TV shows/ movies? Why do you think that is? - I watch Kdramas and Chinese dramas more than  Western ones. I feel like Western dramas tend to just do all the sing and dance to extend the series. Also, I feel like I just lost  interest in watching Western dramas . Kdramas are just right especially for people who are busy with their lives. Just 2-4 episodes a day is enough to be able to finish a drama in 3 or 4 days. 

6. Is there anything you don’t like about Kdrama? Sometimes, you feel that the episodes are not enough and you keep wanting for the drama to be extended. 

7. Is there anything you don’t like about Western TV shows? Length

8. How and why did you start watching Kdrama? I grew up watching dubbed Kdramas on TV because it became very popular where I'm from. I think I was like 10 years old at that time, but I just started binge watching 2 months ago. LOL! 

9. Do you ever go to theatre? Last time I went was 2 years ago. LOL! 

10. If yes are you satisfied with the theatre of today? Please specify why yes or no? Yes, I am. It's the people that I have  issues with. Some are just very inconsiderate while watching and I just get pissed and distracted the whole time. 

13. Do you prefer watching theatrical works that are character or plot driven? Please elaborate why?  It's always the plot for me.

Canada!!! 

English. 

Neither. I usually watch anime but lately i’ve been watching  dramas more frequently than before. The answer for why is unknown. Western show’s just don’t appeal to me. 

I don’t really think too deeply about that sort of thing so I wouldn’t know.

Like my last answer, i wouldn’t know as i don’t pay attention to that sort of thing.

Ig the tropes/predictablity. But it’s not something i worry over.

They can be pretty bland. 

It was recommended to me by some friends.

No.

**skips the last few questions bc i answered no**

Europe

Greek

After I started listening to Kpop I started watching Kdramas and certainly two years later I would tell you that I am mostly watching Kdramas. In the movies section I watch both western and Korean movies, but again mostly Korean. 

About the series : They have a conclusion, a certain amount of episodes and most of the don't have seasons and that means that I actually finish them and I don't stop on the 5th season for example in a western series (mostly talking about the US ones). They also don't try to entertain people with violence and I admire the fact that they have great character depictions and growth (not all of them obviously) in a small number of episodes.

About the movies: I am more into the psychological/drama genre and Korean movies are great in that subject. Their characters are most of the times as human as possible with their doubts and flaws (Taxi driver), some don't tend to have heroes (Oldboy, I saw the devil). I don't know what to say exactly but the are more of my taste.

Both western series and Kdramas have good character development (obviously depending on the series), but what I like about a good Kdrama is that you get attached and see the characters growth in a smaller amount of episodes without seeming like it is done poorly , something that I believe is difficult.

See question 4

I don't like the fact that most of them belong in the romance genre, even though in the past years this has changed with series like Children of nobody, The guest, Save me and many others. That includes clichés like constant misunderstandings, seeing the kiss in 3 different angles, the girl being dependent on the guy and others.

Besides the amount of the episodes that I mentioned, they overuse violence for entertainment purposes. Also, that may sound weird, but even though some have (or could have) a great meaning they mostly don't leave any impact on me as much as Korean dramas do.  

I started listening to Kpop and after that I wanted to learn a few things about their movie and series productions as I like both so I started with movies like Oldboy and then mostly because of BTS I watched my first drama, Hwarang. In a way Korean dramas play better with my feelings.

I rarely go. It must be something really interesting for me to watch a play as the greatest plays are far away from where I live.

I can't judge that as I rarely go.

I believe that the theatre is a great art and a good play is a good play. I would go only if something seems very interesting to me and comparing theatre with Kdramas is impossible firstly because they are too different things (Kdramas-> 16+ episodes, theatre -> 2+ hours). Plus without watching a play I can't be sure of the character development.

See above.

Probably both. A good plot is meaningless without character development and a character can't grow if not of the plot.

Guys, I cannot thank you enough! All of this is extremely helpful! 

Sweden.

Swedish

I watch more kmovies than kdrama or Western series/movies. Why I prefer kmovies over the others is because I like how Koreans make their movies, especially the dark and tragic ones. Also theor comedy is my kind of humor, I've never understood Western comedy, especially not American, Brittish or Swedish comedy because it's often sexual jokes or cursing words.

They've often more character development in American series because they've more episodes (often a lot of seasons) so they can take their time to do it, while I don't think kdrama have that much of it - it depends on what you watch etc.

It's kinda the same question, so just look on the answer on the question before.

What I don't like is that when they have a strong female lead, she often become weak later during the kdrama, like she has turned 180 degrees just because she likes someone and be incapable of doing almost anything. For me, that's a big downgrade, so I often drop those dramas and try to finish watching it some other time.

Look what I wrote on question 3.

I wanted to give it a try back in high school because I had listen to kpop for like 3 years back then. I knew about kdrama, but it took time for me to try it because I thought it would be like Western drama series. Ofc I saw that it really wasn't the same thing when I tried to watch it, but the first kdrama (Boys Over Flowers)  was a disappointment for me because I thought they had change too much of a story that I like, I had read the original story (manga) before. 

No, I've never been a big fan of it. Last time I went on a theatre was back in 2016.

- I skip the rest of the questions because it's only about theatre -