chase_kayden:

Ouch.

How many lives did he have left when he went to war? And is the enemy he was fighting against the Xiyan?

That's the part I kept forgetting. I've reread stuff but not enough. So I'm confused about him losing all his lives tbh. I think most likely what will happen is that he will "die" several times during the final showdown until he finally loses his last life. 

As for the enemy, yes cause at that point Xuan has successfully united the realm. 

chase_kayden:

Btw, how did XL die?

After stabbing himself in the heart and using one of his nine lives to kill the poisonous bug in his heart (severing his connection with XY without killing her), obtaining XY's blood to create a jewel that could be used to revive TSJ so he could reunite with XY, and pushing XY to cut all ties with XL, XL returns to the Sheng Nong resistance army.

In the end, XL makes a last stand with the final remnants of the Sheng Nong resistance army and disguises himself as Gong Gong. In the last battle, it was 100,000 Xuan Yuan soldiers against 1,000 Sheng Nong soldiers. Despite being heavily injured, not even the strongest Xuan Yuan warrior could defeat XL. He was finally killed when 10,000 arrows were fired at him at once. Only when he died and his true demon form was revealed did General Ru So realize he had been tricked, but the general was relieved rather than angry because XL was his army's most challenging enemy who had killed more of his soldiers than anyone else. General Ru So respected XL and prevented his soldiers from approaching and desecrating his body, which was lucky for them because his body dissolved into poisonous black blood that destroyed every living thing on the island where XL died. Anyone who tried to desecrate his body would have been killed. 

As XY notes, it's exactly the death that XL thought was best. He died fighting on the battlefield. Even more than that: he died in a glorious last stand after having remained true to Gong Gong and his cause to the very end, he managed to save Gong Gong against impossible odds, he received respect from the enemy general, he left his enemies with fear and awe and no ability to desecrate or disrespect his remains, and he left XY with all the things she didn't have when they met that he always wanted to give her: the ability to look after herself (with her archery), a person to rely on (TSJ) and a place that she would always be able to go (the Ocean). 

chase_kayden:
How many lives did he have left when he went to war? And is the enemy he was fighting against the Xiyan?

We don't know for sure, but since he seems to have died only once in the final report of the last battle, it would seem that he only had one life left at that point. We know he used at least one life (along with his essential blood) to bring XY back from the brink of death once. He probably had to do the same the second time he revived her - so that's two lives there. Then he used another life when he killed the poisonous bug in his heart and severed his connection with XY. So that's three lives sacrificed for XY's sake, without even getting into any lives he might have lost in battle or in the slave demon death matches. 

chase_kayden:
Ouch. I saw thousands on a tweet. So it was hundreds.

In the novel it says that the final battle on the island began with 100,000 Xuan Yuan soldiers, and ended when General So Ro commanded all of his soldiers to fire their arrows at "Gong Gong" at once. And that XL (disguised as Gong Gong) finally died when over 10,000 arrows were fired at him. I interpreted that to mean that by the end of the battle XL and his 1,000 remaining Sheng Nong soldiers had managed to kill 90,000 out of 100,000 Xuan Yuan soldiers before they were finally defeated.  

AH :

In the novel it says that the final battle on the island began with 100,000 Xuan Yuan soldiers, and ended when General So Ro commanded all of his soldiers to fire their arrows at "Gong Gong" at once. And that XL (disguised as Gong Gong) finally died when over 10,000 arrows were fired at him. I interpreted that to mean that by the end of the battle XL and his 1,000 remaining Sheng Nong soldiers had managed to kill 90,000 out of 100,000 Xuan Yuan soldiers before they were finally defeated.  

If that's true then I can see how he was able to used up his remaining  his lives cause that's alot of soldiers. Basically suicide mission. 

@AH Thank you. Gosh, reading those is just so sad. But also, what an honorable death for a soldier. I also think it was a befitting end for him.

So XY died twice? The one is in Ep 30 and then there's another one?

AH :
In the end, XL makes a last stand with the final remnants of the Sheng Nong resistance army and disguises himself as Gong Gong. In the last battle, it was 100,000 Xuan Yuan soldiers against 1,000 Sheng Nong soldiers. Despite being heavily injured, not even the strongest Xuan Yuan warrior could defeat XL. He was finally killed when 10,000 arrows were fired at him at once. Only when he died and his true demon form was revealed did General Ru So realize he had been tricked, but the general was relieved rather than angry because XL was his army's most challenging enemy who had killed more of his soldiers than anyone else. General Ru So respected XL and prevented his soldiers from approaching and desecrating his body, which was lucky for them because his body dissolved into poisonous black blood that destroyed every living thing on the island where XL died. Anyone who tried to desecrate his body would have been killed. 

thank you for quoting this... it is giving me goosebumbs by just reading this... I have just started reading the novel, motivated by all the quotes you guys have included on this discussion! watching  the love of XL for XY is so painful, and of course  I am sad  that he will just disappear from XY's life... still his character from the novel and the way TJC has given life to XL as an actor, will stay with me for a very long time ... 

Xiang Liu's epilogue is so sad.  

He loved XY so much but was never be able to reveal his feelings because of his commitment for his adopted father.  

mparthur:

Xiang Liu's epilogue is so sad.  

He loved XY so much but was never be able to reveal his feelings because of his commitment for his adopted father.  

...yep, a soldier through and through... 

lux73:

He says his army is fighting a losing battle but at least they have their own principles.  Hahaha.  CX has tried so many times to pull XL over to his side but failed.

mparthur:

He says his army is fighting a losing battle but at least they have their own principles.  Hahaha.  CX has tried so many times to pull XL over to his side but failed.

... yes.. if only... things might have been different.. I personally wouldn't throw myself and thousands of comrades into a lost battle, just because of a principle., but it definitely adds emotions to a drama making it one of the most favourite plot for writers and producers ...  it makes audience :):):)

And as  viewers of such  a tragic event, we can only cry in despair if the dying person is as sexy as TJC 😋😉😁

lux73:

Exactly and that's the reason he left distance between him and Xiao Yao.  The ending and character were set but the story and emotions are in each scene.  The balance of scales towards happiness was not something he strived to tilt his way.

And XL's core as a character is "If you're kind to me, I will spend my life repaying it." So even tho he knows it's a losing battle, better to die in the battle than actually admitting defeat, and at the same time repaying that kindness. That's how complex of a character he is ~

lux73:

... yes.. if only... things might have been different.. I personally wouldn't throw myself and thousands of comrades into a lost battle, just because of a principle., but it definitely adds emotions to a drama making it one of the most favourite plot for writers and producers ...  it makes audience :):):)

And as  viewers of such  a tragic event, we can only cry in despair if the dying person is as sexy as TJC ???

Oh, yes, if XL isn't acted by TJC, I think the sadness is bearable.. haha. But TJC is just sooo good, so ~

chase_kayden:

And XL's core as a character is "If you're kind to me, I will spend my life repaying it." So even tho he knows it's a losing battle, better to die in the battle than actually admitting defeat, and at the same time repaying that kindness. That's how complex of a character he is ~

Oh, yes, if XL isn't acted by TJC, I think the sadness is bearable.. haha. But TJC is just sooo good, so ~

He is a complex character for sure, as i also find the other characters are too. in different ways. I was not expecting this drama to become one of my favourites as I prefer Historical to Fantasy.  But here I am :):):)