She did say somewhere that Xl was her favorite male character and she had wanted to change his ending fate ..but the end she felt he was fated to perish …from the beginning .,.

its because his character is so selfless and tragic so why we feel and love him so much 

It is beautiful and poignant. I wish there were more interviews with Tong Hua. It's like searching for a needle in the haystack, and she has not posted anything new on her Weibo account for so long. We know that she does come on set and communicate with the cast - would love to know how she feels about the adaptation, and how much of it has her full stamp of approval.

liddi:
I always love to use the snow to describe him. Just as I was feeling sad, it suddenly started snowing, and the snowflakes hit against the car window. I was shocked! The sun was clearly still shining brightly. My husband said, "Sunny and snowing! It's a rare occurrence!"

This is so beautifull! Thank you for sharing! Carl G.Jung would tell it's an amazing "Syncronicity"!

This novel will never cease to make me wonder millions of questions and make thoughts lingering in my head! I wrote the following question down on the drama's page but it's more fitting here:

In the drama and the novel (chapter 14), the Grand Emperor (Xiao Yao's adopted father) saw Xiang Liu's face unmasked thanks to Xiao Yao's gorilla mirror. Xiang Liu is known as the 1st most wanted on the bounty list in Xiyan. He is certainly as much hated in Haoling. So, why doesn't the Grand Emperor took advantage of the information he had about XL's real look to spread his real portrait in order to find and kill him?  Is it because he loves too much his "daughter" that he doesn't want to hurt her "friend who is not quite a friend"? Actually, I don't remember if the Grand Emperor knew at some point that this friend was XL? But, even so, could the Grand Emperor have made the connection between XL's face and Fang Feng Bei since this one has attended XY's coronation ceremony (in the drama, at least, this point is debatable in the novel)?

Back in Xiyan, we know that there is no accurate portrait of Xiang Liu (chapter 16) and that nobody has ever seen XL’s real face (or that there is too many contradictory statements over it). Has Cang Xuan or the Yellow Emperor seen the images in XY's mirror?

I'm a bit confused to clearly remember all the details in the novel, but I might guess that : while the Grand Emperor doesn't know that the man on the mirror is XL, the Yellow Emperor knows that XY loves XL but hasn't seen XY's mirror?  

@blimarch

This novel will never cease to make me wonder millions of questions and make thoughts lingering in my head! I wrote the following question down on the drama's page but it's more fitting here:

In the drama and the novel (chapter 14), the Grand Emperor (Xiao Yao's adopted father) saw Xiang Liu's face unmasked thanks to Xiao Yao's gorilla mirror. Xiang Liu is known as the 1st most wanted on the bounty list in Xiyan. He is certainly as much hated in Haoling. So, why doesn't the Grand Emperor took advantage of the information he had about XL's real look to spread his real portrait in order to find and kill him?  Is it because he loves too much his "daughter" that he doesn't want to hurt her "friend who is not quite a friend"? Actually, I don't remember if the Grand Emperor knew at some point that this friend was XL? But, even so, could the Grand Emperor have made the connection between XL's face and Fang Feng Bei since this one has attended XY's coronation ceremony (in the drama, at least, this point is debatable in the novel)?

Back in Xiyan, we know that there is no accurate portrait of Xiang Liu (chapter 16) and that nobody has ever seen XL’s real face (or that there is too many contradictory statements over it). Has Cang Xuan or the Yellow Emperor seen the images in XY's mirror?

I'm a bit confused to clearly remember all the details in the novel, but I might guess that : while the Grand Emperor doesn't know that the man on the mirror is XL, the Yellow Emperor knows that XY loves XL but hasn't seen XY's mirror?  

In the drama, I don't think the Xiyan Emperor or CX saw XY's mirror.  She really didn't want the Haolin Emperor looking at either.

Is XL hated as much in Haolin?  Not sure he's done anything to Haolin.  IIRC, AH said that Haolin was secretly supporting the rebel army at one point.  Haolin traditionally is against Xiyan.  That's why CX was sent to Haolin as a kid.  He was a Xiyan hostage to Haolin.

How is the Haolin emperor supposed to know the guy in the mirror is XL?  I doubt the Haolin Emperor met every single guess at XY's princess debut.  I mean, XY didn't.  I don't think TSJ met him there either, and FFB is going to be his brother in law.

blimarch:
Xiang Liu is known as the 1st most wanted on the bounty list in Xiyan. He is certainly as much hated in Haoling.

Kokuto:
Is XL hated as much in Haolin?  Not sure he's done anything to Haolin.  IIRC, AH said that Haolin was secretly supporting the rebel army at one point.  Haolin traditionally is against Xiyan.  That's why CX was sent to Haolin as a kid.  He was a Xiyan hostage to Haolin.

Kokuto you are recalling that correctly ^^ Before ZX conquered Gao Xing and made it part of Xuan Yuan, Gao Xing  used to send supplies to the Sheng Nong remnant army to support them. Gao Xing was happy to have them cause trouble for Xuan Yuan. 

XL would not have been on any Gao Xing wanted lists at the time that XY made her debut as Gao Xing's eldest princess. 

---

Chapter 46:

An army base needed supplies and provisions and the reason Gong Gong picked Qing Shui town was because it was aligned with Gao Xing and next to the East Sea for the water route. Even if the Yellow Emperor closed off all land routes for the provision of supplies, Gong Gong could still get supplied through Gao Xing channels or the water route. Back then Gao Xing was happy to have the resistance army be a thorn in the side of Xuan Yuan and secretly sent provisions, and even some powerful families secretly were helping Gong Gong. But now things were different, the entire vast wilderness was under the rule of Xuan Yuan and the kingdom army now had provisions and even the forces from all the major families with various powers.

blimarch:
So, why doesn't the Grand Emperor took advantage of the information he had about XL's real look to spread his real portrait in order to find and kill him?  Is it because he loves too much his "daughter" that he doesn't want to hurt her "friend who is not quite a friend"? Actually, I don't remember if the Grand Emperor knew at some point that this friend was XL?

When the Grand Emperor first sees the memories in XY's mirror in chapter 13, he does not know that the person in those memories is XL. 

But some point after XY's life is saved by XL in chapter 22, the Grand Emperor puts the pieces together and in chapter 24 he asks XY directly if the person in her mirror is XL. XY confirms that he is.

The Grand Emperor lectures XY about staying away from XL because he is very afraid that XY will repeat the tragedy of her parents (a person from the Xuan Yuan side of the war and a person from the Sheng Nong side of the war who fell in love and had a tragic ending). 

---

Chapter 24:

Xiao Yao pulled her hand back to put her mirror away but the Grand Emperor grabbed it and waved his hand across. The image of Xiang Liu swimming in the ocean depths appeared and Xiao Yao stared in a daze. Even though when she was unconscious Xiang Liu told her to erase the images, but after she woke up he didn’t mention it again so she had forgotten about it.

The Grand Emperor asked “Is he Nine-lives Xiang Liu? This time, he was the one who saved you?”

Xiao Liu answered in a low voice “Yes.”

The Grand Emperor covered the mirror with his hand and the image of Xiang Liu disappeared.

The Grand Emperor said “Xiao Yao, I don’t restrict your freedom but as your father I beg of you – do not have any relationship with him. He’s exactly on the opposite side of Zhuan Xu and your blood line has already made the choice for you.” The Grand Emperor had already seen one tragedy before, he didn’t want to see the same tragedy with Xiao Yao.

Xiao Yao took the mirror back and smiled “Dad, what are you thinking about? My interactions with him have always been a transaction. He saved me because he made a deal with Zhuan Xu.”

The Grand Emperor sighed “You need to remember this well, I would rather have the entire world vilify and castigate me for eliminating the entire Fang Feng family if that is what it takes to snatch that Tu Shan clan’s little fox for you. That is preferable than you having anything to do with Xiang Liu.”

blimarch:
But, even so, could the Grand Emperor have made the connection between XL's face and Fang Feng Bei since this one has attended XY's coronation ceremony (in the drama, at least, this point is debatable in the novel)?

Kokuto:
I doubt the Haolin Emperor met every single guess at XY's princess debut.  I mean, XY didn't.  I don't think TSJ met him there either, and FFB is going to be his brother in law.

There was no mention of FFB attending the ceremony in the novel, and it would be very unlikely that the Feng Fang family would've send a concubine-born second son to attend that ceremony at Five Gods Mountain all the way in Gao Xing. 

For the drama, I think Kokuto is right. It's very unlikely that the Grand Emperor would've met FFB at the ceremony even if he did attend it.

blimarch:
Has Cang Xuan or the Yellow Emperor seen the images in XY's mirror?

No.

blimarch:
the Yellow Emperor knows that XY loves XL but hasn't seen XY's mirror?  

The Yellow Emperor has an inkling of XY's feelings for XL because of her comments in chapter 29. That's why he asks ZX to do what he can to get XL to defect to Xuan Yuan after that conversation.

---

Chapter 29:

The Yellow Emperor said “You leave, too! Don’t spend the entire day in the court with an old fogey like me. With Zhuan Xu and me here, you should learn from Ah Nian and be more impetuous and do what you want.

Xiao Yao casually said “It’s because you and Zhuan Xu are here that I don’t dare be impetuous and do what I want. My bloodline has destined me to be tied down so why even bother? If I said right now that I’m going to find Xiang Liu to play with, will you agree?

The Yellow Emperor grew silent and seemed very concerned “I won’t agree. Zhuan Xu and he are destined to battle to the death one day. I don’t want you to be devastated when that day comes. Anything else you want, I will do my best to give it to you.

“Zhuan Xu is a man and now the Emperor so that is why you are so strict and demanding with him. I’m not the same, you want to pamper and coddle me because you want to alleviate your guilt towards Grandmother, my Mom, my Uncles, all of that you want to now give me. But there is no amount of power in this world that can guarantee my happiness. Plus what you owe them is owed to them and you can never make it up with me, and I don’t want it! You just be my grandfather, and like all the grandfathers in the world, you worry about my future marriage and happiness but can do nothing about it other than worry until in the end you sigh and say “grandchildren have their own fated happiness!”

Xiao Yao fanned herself and smiled at the Yellow Emperor “You never experienced wanting to do something but not being able to, right? Try that on me then!”

The Yellow Emperor looked very torn.

That night after Zhuan Xu was done with work and leaving the court, the Yellow Emperor’s servant came up and he followed him back to the Yellow Emperor’s residence.

He saw the maids preparing dinner and said “I’ll dine here with Grandfather.”

Zhuan Xu ate dinner with the Yellow Emperor and afterwards the maids brought out sour date tea. Zhuan Xu took a sip “It’s strangely tasty” and the Yellow Emperor explained “Xiao Yao won’t let me drink tea with dinner but after dinner she concocted a special tea for me.”

Zhuan Xu smiled “It’s amazing she’s willing to put the effort into learning healing medicine for Grandfather.”

The Yellow Emperor said “I called you here because there is one task I need you to do your best to make happen.

“Grandfather please tell me.”

Find a way to get Xiang Liu to agree to come to our side. I know it’s very difficult, in the past hundreds of years I’ve asked Qing, Hou Tu, Cang Lin, and even Little Zhu Rong, all of them tried and were turned down by Xiang Liu. But I wish for you to try nonetheless.”

“Yes.” Zhuan Xu paused and then asked “Why does Grandfather care so much about Xiang Liu?”

The Yellow Emperor said “Just an old man’s little bit of regret.”

I get confused…the yellow emperor is the king of haolin (xy father )

Dramadoggy2021:

I get confused…the yellow emperor is the king of haolin (xy father )

No. The Grand Emperor is XY's father. He is referred to as the King of Haoling in the drama. 

The Yellow Emperor is XY's grandfather. He is initially identified as the King of Xiyan in the drama.

Dramadoggy2021:

Oh what is that regret?

The Yellow Emperor took a small tribe and turned it into a kingdom to rival Gao Xing and Sheng Nong. Then he conquered Sheng Nong. The power he amassed and the war he fought came at a great personal cost to his family. The details are covered more in Once Promised than in Lost You Forever, but XY's uncles died in the war, XY's mother sort of died in the war, and the Empress lived a lonely life without freedom or favour from the Emperor. She was caged like a bird, which is why she encouraged XY's mother to wander and enjoy her freedom as much as she could before she was married and trapped in a similar situation. The Yellow Emperor regretted the pain that he caused his family members, but they were all dead so he couldn't make it up to them directly. He wanted to try to alleviate his guilt by being good to XY in their place. 

@AH  VIP

...and the Empress lived a lonely life without freedom or favour from the Emperor. She was caged like a bird, which is why she encouraged XY's mother to wander and enjoy her freedom as much as she could before she was married and trapped in a similar situation. The Yellow Emperor regretted the pain that he caused his family members, but they were all dead so he couldn't make it up to them directly. He wanted to try to alleviate his guilt by being good to XY in their place. 

I thought the Xiyan emperor loved his Empress?  Or did he regret not loving her or not making their relationship successful?

Besides XL being an enemy to XY's bloodline, wasn't he also concerned about him being a demon, like her father, also?

Kokuto:
I thought the Xiyan emperor loved his Empress?  Or did he regret not loving her or not making their relationship successful?

Yeah it's confusing. I thought that too when I read Lost You Forever, but then in Once Promised she (Empress Lei Zu / Zhu) wasn't his most favoured wife and her life seemed quite sad and lonely. And that was even before her sons died in the Yellow Emperor's war. 

---

Chapter 7 of Once Promised:

...after the sixty years on Jade Mountain, she suddenly realised that there was no difference between Chao Yun peak and Jade Mountain, it was lonely the same way, it was cold the same way, she wanted to accompany her mother.

Lei Zu asked A'Heng, "I had not been angered for hundreds of years, but I was furious sixty years ago, I even wanted to personally go to the Jade Mountain and ask for you from the Empress Mother, do you know why I was so angry at the Empress Mother?"

Lei Zu stopped her pace, she turned her head and looked at Chao Yun palace, "You are the princess of Xuan Yuan Tribe, sooner or later you must live in such a palace, but before that, I want you to possess all the freedom of the eight wildernesses, but the Emperor Mother robbed you of your most precious one hundred and twenty years. She has stayed in the ghostly place of a Jade Mountain for thousands of years, she knows even more clearly than me what is the most precious thing in this world. One hundred and twenty years of freedom and joy! What treasure on earth can equal it? More than anyone else, she knew clearly how heavy the punishment was, clearly knowing she was taking away your most precious item, but hypocritically saying she was giving me face."

Lei Zu's gaze fell on her daughter's face, "A'Heng, quickly while you are still young, go down the mountain, go and laugh, go and cry, go and commit all kinds of outrage, go and make trouble and get into fights. You will have enough time in the future to live in a palace, the time you have outside is very limited, don't waste it again on Chao Yun Peak. I don't need your company, I only need you to live happily. Now you don't understand, but when in the future you become a mother you will understand, as long as all of you live well, I will also live well."

---

Chapter 11 of Once Promised:

Qing Yang’s anger left as quickly as it came.  Although his siblings are each different in terms of character, they all share the same stubborn streak, so he tried to think of another approach.  Finally he asked after a long time “Who is Royal Father’s favourite woman?”

Although her voice was a little hoarse, Ah Heng did not need to think hard to answer this question “His third Concubine, Madam Tong Yu.”

“Do you think given mother’s character, will Royal Father favour our mother?”

“Of course not!”  Mother was stubborn and had refused to maintain a youthful appearance.  For as long as she could remember, Royal Father has never spent the night at Chao Yun Palace.

“Five hundred years ago, Madam Yu Tong has tried to move in to Chao Yun Palace” 

Ah Heng finally got what he was trying to say.  “You mean she wanted Royal Father to make her his Empress?”

Qing Yang nodded.

“How come I did not know about this?”

“Chang Yi did not want you to know and begged me to keep it from you.  Both he and mother did not want you to be worried but you need to grow up one day,  and things that will happen will not go away. Ah Heng, do you really believe that the sons in our family are all filial, or that there is brotherly love among us?”   Ah Heng remained silent; she had sensed the undercurrents a long time ago. 

Qing Yang continued “Do you know why Madam Yu Tong finally gave up telling Father how much she love the views of Chao Yun Palace?”

“Is it because of Big Brother?”

Qing Yang shook his head and laughed coldly.  “If it is because of me, all the more she will want to move into Chao Yun Palace because that is the only way her son will become the legal son of the Empress and contend openly with me for the throne.  The real reason is because of you.”

“Me?” Ah Heng found that hard to believe.  She was only a child at that time, how could she have made a difference?

“Because you are betroth to Shao Hao and there is a great possibility that Shao Hao will become the next Jun Emperor.  Given Gao Xing’s emphasis on lineage and that you are Royal Father’s only daughter, he will not want to take away your status as the daughter of Xuan Yuan Empress (as opposed to the daughter of a concubine).”

Ignoring her look of shock, Qing Yang continued.  “Ah Heng, Mother has done her best to provide you with a carefree childhood.  Do you know how precious five hundred years of freedom is to a Royal?  You have seen with your own eyes how Mother lives. Have you ever thought about our sacrifices?  Would you bear to see your Mother humiliated?  If you do not marry Shao Hao, there is a high chance Mother will have to move out from Chao Yun Palace and Chang Yi will become the son of a concubine..."

---

Even after her death, the Yellow Emperor didn't respect her wishes.

---

Chapter 17 of Once Promised:

Ah Heng embraced Zhuan Xu and said “Your grandmother didn’t want to be buried here in Xuan Yuan, in her will she asked to be returned to her homeland the Blue Dragon’s Head. But your grandmother was the Empress and your grandfather refused to honor her wishes and send her so far away. I might not be able to honor that wish for her as well so can you promise your Auntie something? One day when you can make the decisions, please re-bury your grandmother at Blue Dragon’s Head. No matter whatever objections come your way, never ever bury your grandfather with your grandmother.”

Kokuto:
Besides XL being an enemy to XY's bloodline, wasn't he also concerned about him being a demon, like her father, also?

Which Emperor are you referring to?

@AH may I know where you found the Once Promised translations? I could not access any translations apart from what Koala translated. Waiting for the physical books to arrive - wonder if the names were also changed similar to the recent Lost You Forever editions.

AH  VIP

Haolin Emperor, whose wife was carrying on with a demon.

Hmmmm.  Well, I guess they changed the Xiyan emperor's relationship with the Empress in the drama, then.  Because I definitely got the impression that they were in love.  Or they had some sort of relationship, that he missed her.

liddi:

@AH may I know where you found the Once Promised translations? I could not access any translations apart from what Koala translated. Waiting for the physical books to arrive - wonder if the names were also changed similar to the recent Lost You Forever editions.

I found various bits and pieces translated or summarized by different people and posted in different places. None of them are complete and they are all imperfect fan translations or summaries, but the most complete one I found is here: https://www.novelcool.com/chapter/Once-Promised-Prologue/161421/. The excerpts I posted are from that source. 

Still hoping someone will post a complete translation someday.

Kokuto:
AH  VIP

Haolin Emperor, whose wife was carrying on with a demon.

I never got the impression that Shao Hao (the Grand Emperor / White Emperor / Emperor of Gao Xing / King of Haoling / XY's father) looked down on Qi Yo for being a demon, or thought less of Ah Heng for her romance with him. 

Ah Heng gave Shao Hao a choice. They could have a real marriage and love each other, or they could have a political alliance and a marriage in name only. Shao Hao chose the second option, leaving Ah Heng free to love Qi Yo. Shao Hao deeply regretted that decision later on, but he couldn't blame Ah Heng (or Qi Yo) for the consequences of his own choice. 

Kokuto:
Hmmmm.  Well, I guess they changed the Xiyan emperor's relationship with the Empress in the drama, then.  Because I definitely got the impression that they were in love.  Or they had some sort of relationship, that he missed her.

The information I've found is imperfect and incomplete, but the impression I've gotten is that Lei Zu did love the Yellow Emperor initially and their relationship wasn't bad in the beginning. Lei Zu was clever, beautiful, full of life, and came from a powerful tribe. But the Yellow Emperor used her for his own ambitions (I don't know the details but I imagine her family's reputation was part of it) and loved another woman (Yu Tong I assume). Lei Zu stopped using her power to maintain her youth and the two drifted apart even before Qing Yang and Chang Yi died. Later, the Yellow Emperor regretted the way he treated her.