AH  VIP

Besides XL being an enemy to XY's bloodline, wasn't he also concerned about him being a demon, like her father, also?

I never got the impression that Shao Hao (the Grand Emperor / White Emperor / Emperor of Gao Xing / King of Haoling / XY's father) looked down on Qi Yo for being a demon, or thought less of Ah Heng for her romance with him. 

Ah Heng gave Shao Hao a choice. They could have a real marriage and love each other, or they could have a political alliance and a marriage in name only. Shao Hao chose the second option, leaving Ah Heng free to love Qi Yo. Shao Hao deeply regretted that decision later on, but he couldn't blame Ah Heng (or Qi Yo) for the consequences of his own choice. 

Really?  What was the Haolin Emperor thinking???  I need to watch that prequel show.

Okay.  From the drama, I guess I confused him remembering her fathe and his red cloak when he saw her red caped dress, and acting negatively.

Hmmmm.  Well, I guess they changed the Xiyan emperor's relationship with the Empress in the drama, then.  Because I definitely got the impression that they were in love.  Or they had some sort of relationship, that he missed her.

The information I've found is imperfect and incomplete, but the impression I've gotten is that Lei Zu did love the Yellow Emperor initially and their relationship wasn't bad in the beginning. Lei Zu was clever, beautiful, full of life, and came from a powerful tribe. But the Yellow Emperor used her for his own ambitions (I don't know the details but I imagine her family's reputation was part of it) and loved another woman (Yu Tong I assume). Lei Zu stopped using her power to maintain her youth and the two drifted apart even before Qing Yang and Chang Yi died. Later, the Yellow Emperor regretted the way he treated her. 

Well, regret could be part of what we saw in the drama, with him sharing his New Years' meal with a setting for her.  And he seemed alone, with his peers, like his Empress gone.  Plenty of time to think of what could have been and maybe forget the worst of their relationship, while remembering the best parts.

Kokuto:
Okay.  From the drama, I guess I confused him remembering her fathe and his red cloak when he saw her red caped dress, and acting negatively.

My sense was that the reason the Grand Emperor didn't want XY to wear a dress that would make people think she looked like her biological father was that he was afraid for her safety. Which turned out to be a justified worry given that Mu Fei assassinated her after recognizing her as Qi Yo's daughter. 

---

This is how the Grand Emperor's reaction is described in the novel:

A white long robe with a cinched waist, it made her figure seem lithe and elegant. An outer robe was made out of long gauze with a train stretched long behind her. The outer robe was embroidered with red and black thread into the design of a swallow and peach blossom portrait. When the entire gown was spread out, it appeared that the entire ground was covered with peach blossoms.

Xiao Yao was walking with the long train behind her and was afraid of tripping so she looked straight ahead and walked very, very slow. The cinched waist robe was tightly hugging her waist and she could barely breathe. It made her back ramrod straight and she cursed how this gown was designed to torture her. She pursed her lips and her annoyance was clearly evident in her eyes.

When she walked into court, Ru So and all the courtiers felt dazzled by the peach blossoms bursting behind Xiao Yao as she walked. With her red peach blossom birthmark on her forehead, she was enchanting but for the coldness in her eyes.

The Grand Emperor looked at Xiao Yao and his heart clenched in a long sigh. Right now Xiao Yao looked so much like that person – whether it was the dazzling colors of the world, the endless delights of the Earth, it was all just yellow soil under the feet.

Xiao Yao steadied herself and put her hands around her hips and asked “Dad, how long do I need to wear this outfit at the ceremony?”

Everyone let out a sigh of relief and Ru So felt that this Princess was so cute. But he was also looking forward to the day of the ceremony when the Princess would wear this gown and walk up the high altar tower, with her hair done and wearing makeup, the effect would be infinitely more stunning than today. It would surely strike shock and awe into the eyes of every guest attending from the entire vast wilderness.

The Grand Emperor shook his head “This outfit is no good, make another one!”

Xiao Yao was so happy she almost jumped with glee except for her waist being so tightly constricted that she couldn’t move.

Ru So was gobsmacked. How could this outfit be no good? He looked around and everyone else was just as perplexed. If anyone had eyes, only Xiao Yao and the Grand Emperor thought this outfit wasn’t good.

Kokuto:
Really?  What was the Haolin Emperor thinking???  I need to watch that prequel show.

He chose to pursue power at the expense of love, like ZX.

Kokuto:
Well, regret could be part of what we saw in the drama, with him sharing his New Years' meal with a setting for her.  And he seemed alone, with his peers, like his Empress gone.  Plenty of time to think of what could have been and maybe forget the worst of their relationship, while remembering the best parts.

Yeah. I could be wrong but that's pretty much what I'm thinking based on the info I've found. 

AH :

I found various bits and pieces translated or summarized by different people and posted in different places. None of them are complete and they are all imperfect fan translations or summaries, but the most complete one I found is here: https://www.novelcool.com/chapter/Once-Promised-Prologue/161421/. The excerpts I posted are from that source. 

Still hoping someone will post a complete translation someday.

Thank you very much! It's a shame it is incomplete, seeing Vol 1 has 17 chapters, while Vol 2 has 19 chapters + epilogue. 

I am tempted to brave the adaptation 上古情歌 A Life Time Love again, but having spoilt myself with the 1st and last episode, I think I will be kind to myself. Not to mention having seen posts on Tong Hua forum on Weibo, asking for a new adaptation for Once Promised, which appears to reinforce my initial impressions.

liddi:

Thank you very much! It's a shame it is incomplete, seeing Vol 1 has 17 chapters, while Vol 2 has 19 chapters + epilogue. 

I am tempted to brave the adaptation 上古情歌 A Life Time Love again, but having spoilt myself with the 1st and last episode, I think I will be kind to myself. Not to mention having seen posts on Tong Hua forum on Weibo, asking for a new adaptation for Once Promised, which appears to reinforce my initial impressions.

I've watched bits and pieces of the drama and did not feel tempted to watch more. No matter how low budget it was or how bad any other parts were, I probably would watch the whole thing if the scenes between Ah Heng and Qi Yo were anywhere close to the novel, but I didn't feel like they were. 

I had to start from beginning and rewatch to understand more…at the part XL planted the bug into himself and her taking underseas to see the corals…he looked at her with such loving eyes …sigh 

if only she wasn’t haoling princess or cousin princess.. I think he would have confessed his love ..and ironically her freak father is chis San…definitely destined to not be together….all his years he was alone and finally found a soulmate that he can share the beautiful underworld and islands with .. yet …sigh ..the heartache and disappointment when he finds out who she supposedly is …

I really hope since he is to perish in the new season 2 they rkeep the part she wants to go see the islands ..in a way it’s to remember xl (although she is with tsj) 

I was at the part he himself hongjiang was a poor silly guy and xy said no you ar e the silly one ::.sigh 

I still don’t understand how she doesn’t know that’s a lover bug…

Dramadoggy2021:

I had to start from beginning and rewatch to understand more…at the part XL planted the bug into himself and her taking underseas to see the corals…he looked at her with such loving eyes …sigh 

if only she wasn’t haoling princess or cousin princess.. I think he would have confessed his love ..and ironically her freak father is chis San…definitely destined to not be together….all his years he was alone and finally found a soulmate yet …sigh ..the heartache and siapppointed when he finds out who she supposedly is …

I was at the part he himself hongjiang was a poor silly guy and xy said no you ar e the silly one ::.sigh 

I still don’t understand how she doesn’t know that’s a lover bug…

Why are you torturing yourself like this? You'll become like me and I don't wish this on anyone. Don't become like me

haha no worries I know it’s a drama …we have to get back o reality …but sometimes everyday realities are so boring and unromantic..need some drama to spruce up life and find one’s emotions …

Dramadoggy2021:
but sometimes everyday realities are so boring and unromantic

That's so true, yes

So sweet very long on before he knew her real identity ..XL already started thinking how to protect XY by preparing a bow and arrow ….

definitely as rewatching I see more and more how this 9 headed demon is so loving ..and selfless …

Hey Dramadoggy, we need your opinion for a new thread on season 2

Xiang Liu Love You Forever

Xiang Liu Supreme Lord of the Universe

Xiang Liu and You Part II (this one rhymes)

Xiang Liu's Army (that's too Kpop lol)

The Shell Lounge

What the Shell

The last two will be used for a separate thread, so don't mind them :)

nathsketch:

Hey Dramadoggy, we need your opinion for a new thread on season 2

Xiang Liu Love You Forever

Xiang Liu Supreme Lord of the Universe

Xiang Liu and You Part II (this one rhymes)

Xiang Liu's Army (that's too Kpop lol)

The Shell Lounge

What the Shell

The last two will be used for a separate thread, so don't mind them :)

I like the first one Xl love you forever ?

Dramadoggy2021:

I like the first one Xl love you forever ?

Good, that's what most of us like as well!

Dramadoggy2021:

I loved that ocean scene after the lovers bug was planted into XL. I even made gifs of it (I never do that lol). He looked so happy and his smile...

Look at him smiling and eyeing her~

And she noticed it...

??

I love those scenes …!!! 

All his lonely life he finally found someone to share the beautiful underground sea with …sigh