Elise:

I loved that ocean scene after the lovers bug was planted into XL. I even made gifs of it (I never do that lol). He looked so happy and his smile...

Look at him smiling and eyeing her~

And she noticed it...

??

I'm stealing those! SO much beauty!!

Dramadoggy2021:
if only she wasn’t haoling princess or cousin princess.. I think he would have confessed his love ..and ironically her freak father is chis San…definitely destined to not be together….all his years he was alone and finally found a soulmate that he can share the beautiful underworld and islands with .. yet …sigh ..the heartache and disappointment when he finds out who she supposedly is …

Yes, I think he would've confessed his love too if she wasn't the princess. A while ago Kokuto linked the casting description for XL from Twitter. It said 

“He had no expectations for the future until he encountered her, who had a childhood experience similar to his own. He gradually developed feelings for her, longing for a future together, only to wake up from the dream when he discovered her true identity."

He wanted a future with her. I think he was planning that when he agreed to have the love bug planted in him. Knowing this information, my heart breaks for Xiang Liu and the way he looks at her.

These early scenes hit differently when I rewatch ??

Elise:
He wanted a future with her. I think he was planning that when he agreed to have the love bug planted in him. Knowing this information, my heart breaks for Xiang Liu and the way he looks at her.

This makes it all so painful. I literally just wrote a whole essay citing that casting description on the other thread ?

nathsketch:

This makes it all so painful. I literally just wrote a whole essay citing that casting description on the other thread ?

Yes, it's so painful. I'm trying to cope by trying to find happy TJC and XL videos? I haven't caught up with the other thread yet. Going there now

Elise:

I loved that ocean scene after the lovers bug was planted into XL. I even made gifs of it (I never do that lol). He looked so happy and his smile...

Look at him smiling and eyeing her~

And she noticed it...

??

Dramadoggy2021:

I love those scenes …!!! 

All his lonely life he finally found someone to share the beautiful underground sea with …sigh

This is also a favorite scene of mine.  This is what could have been.  He IS happy.  He's happy to be in love and he's happy to feel her joy through the PLB at seeing his real home.  He can't keep LOVE from shining from his eyes.  It's a melting of the Polar Ice Cap.

Also, stealing these gif. THANK YOU!

I have finally finished reading the whole novel from scratch and I still belive that if XY knew about XL's feelings she would have pursued him, regardless of everything else. I mean why else did XL try so hard to keep everything a secret from her? There where more hints în the book that made me reach this conclusion and I am almost positive that îs the case. I know she loves Jings as well, but the way I am seeing it, Jing = peace and a solid rock for her to have the life she dreamed of ever since her mom left her and XL =  happiness (even în death, when the first thing that made her laught again  after his death was the doll he made for her) and I belive that regardless of not wanting to repet her moms mistakes she would have. În a way that îs how I explain the scene with I want to marry Jing, but I want to spent my life with someonelse. She didn't know about XL's feelings, she taught he îs always misstreating her and using her, and yet she still loved him (the only think she EVER asked of CX was to spare his life)  Having her know about XL's feelings and devotion I think it would have changed the outcome for sure. I know some people belive she always knew and to be honest that was the feeling I got while reading the novel as well, but now, after I read  how she reacted when she found out about XL's death I am not so sure. To quote "why do I have to hurt so much for someone who didn't care at all" or something along these lines. Hence, thinking back even the Voodoo King kept his silence, must be a reason why the author chose to handle things this way.  Also the epilogue, not even us, as first time readers wouldnt have known for sure about XL's feelings because he never express them through out the novel, we only know for sure because of the epilogue. She couldn't kill him not even when he tried to kill CX, just how she couldn't kill CX when he killed Jing (and no doubt CX means more to her than Jing)  In fact, even if he kills CX I still don't think she would kill XL,  she said it herself that she will go after his adoptive father.  Anyway, i am not sad about the ending, but I don't feel like I have closure either. I really wanted her to know. 

Also, I am not very familiar with the author, I have seen Bubu Jing and sound of the dessert like 10 years ago or so, but iirc none of their FLs ended up with the first guy they met and (again IIRC)  they picked their endgame having the whole picture în mind, LYF îs the excepcion and doesn't follow the same patern only because the author / XL chose not to have his feelings relieved. 

blabla100:
Having her know about XL's feelings and devotion I think it would have changed the outcome for sure. I know some people belive she always knew and to be honest that was the feeling I got while reading the novel as well, but now, after I read  how she reacted when she found out about XL's death I am not so sure. To quote "why do I have to hurt so much for someone who didn't care at all" or something along these lines.

For XL and XY to be together, they would both have to openly admit their feelings and both want to pursue a romantic relationship. For XL, that would mean abandoning Gong Gong and the Sheng Nong remnant army or choosing to live on after their obliteration. For XY, that would mean abandoning ZX, her grandfather, and TSJ. XY having a certain level of certainty about XL's feelings would only be part of the equation. 

I believe that XY was aware of XL's feelings to a certain extent for most of the story. But she wasn't certain of his feelings (especially at certain points when he really gave her reason to question how much he cared about her) and didn't know how deep or how consistent his feelings were. And she was in denial. Even when she found out the truth about the Lovers' Bugs, she couldn't admit what it meant.

As for XY's reaction to XL's death, the things that XY and XL say usually should be questioned. So often they do not mean what they say. 

In the same chapter where she says that XL was someone who didn't care at all, she also says that she's fine and she was prepared for XL's death... but also that she wasn't prepared and she's hurting so much. 

---

Chapter 50:

Xiao Yao’s face was ashen white but she kept muttering the same lie over and over. “I’m fine! I was already prepared…..when I first met him I knew this day would come! I always knew!”

Xiao Yao took a deep breath and used her power to turn on the mirror. But after swiping repeatedly nothing appeared.

Xiao Yao grew frantic “It can’t be! It can’t be!…..” She anxiously used her power to look into the mirror. But no matter how many times she looked there were no memories of Xiang Liu.

Even the only thing he left to her was gone!

Xiao Yao could not believe it and she angrily kept trying the mirror. “How could this be? How could this be?……”

Suddenly she remembered, when she was unconscious Xiang Liu discovered the secret of the mirror and ordered her to erase it. When she woke up he never mentioned it again and she thought he forgot, but it turned out that when she wasn’t aware he had completely erased it all!

Xiao Yao stroked the mirror and said through tears. “Xiang Liu, in your eyes, am I really that meaningless? So you won’t even leave me a small memory!”

“Nine Headed Demon, I hate you!” Xiao Yao violently threw the mirror as her tears tumbled down her cheek.

In Qing Shui Town, she was Wen Xiao Liu, he was Xiang Liu. They were always at odds, but when he got injured he would hide in her room to heal. She didn’t know when she started telling him about her painful past that she had never told anyone before.

In Xuan Yuan Castle, he was the dissolute playboy Fang Feng Bei, he was gentle and considerate, fun loving yet diligently and patiently taught her ten plus years of archery.

When she was asleep under the ocean for 37 years, they spent every night together. That was probably when Xiang Liu was the most tender and caring towards her. She was of no use to him to exploit and they have no reason to be on opposite sides of each other, so during that time it was just one person taking the other person through life together in the ocean. One person sometimes saying a few words here and there, the other laying forever in silence.

At her wedding ceremony in Chi Sui, he came to steal the bride from the wedding and made her go with him as payment for the promise she made. He also asked for 37 years of army provisions from Jing. All he gave up was his alter ego identity, but her reputation was thoroughly destroyed.

After that he was the General to Gong Gong’s army and she was Zhuan Xu’s little sister, every time saw each other even their words were like swords slashing at one another.

The last time they saw each other, because of Feng Long’s death, on the very Hu Lu Lake where they once played together she now wanted to kill him and he used Jing’s death to rile her up to get revenge for Jing. That night he nearly took all of her blood just to make a pill for healing. She hated him for being so cold-blooded and vowed never to see him again!

If she knew that it would be the last time they would ever see each other in this life time, she would have said something else. No matter how cold and harsh he was to her, she would never ever have wanted to say what she said to him.

Xiao Yao’s entire face was awash with tears and she lifted her head to stare at the sky.

Xiang Liu, why? Why? Why do you treat me this way? Why won’t you even let me keep one memory of you…..so our hundreds of years together, it was always just a transaction to you?

Xiang Liu died so boldly and left nothing behind, no parting words and even his body dissolved into poison. No one was there to answer Xiao Yao’s plaintive question.

Xiao Yao’s tears began to fall again and the drops landed on Jing’s hand. Jing said nothing and continued to hold Xiao Yao in his arms.

Xiao Yao murmured, “Even though I always reminded myself that he was Zhuan Xu’s enemy, but I…..I was not prepared for this! I really wish it was all a lie…..he’s so sneaky, he must’ve found a way to stay alive!”

Jing said nothing because he knew Xiao Yao didn’t need his response.

“It’s because he’s so sneaky that he doesn’t want to stay alive! One time he told me “Actually, to a General, the best ending is dying on the battlefield.” So he chose for himself the best ending!”

“But what a bullshit best ending! He’s the stupidest idiot in this world! He stayed loyal and true to Gong Gong and all his soldier comrades but did he do himself right?”

I’m the idiot actually. He never cared, so why do I have to be so hurt? I don’t want to be feeling so much hurt…

@AH 

I didn't really think of them being togheter when I said a different outcome, but I do belive XY would have been more willing to give up everything, had she known.Why else would she sent the crystal ball to him? Also, when FFB was jokingly asking her to leave everything behind and travel the world togheter, she seemed quite serios when she answered him (something along the lines "fine, if you are also willing to do the same) I think she was indeed very conflicted about his feelings for her, but thinking back I don't really think she knew much. Iirc she said it herself that the only time XL was most tender towards her was during their 37 years under the water, otherwise he always had something to gain în mind. Speaking of which, when she wakes up the first thing she ask for îs XL,  even though she knows Jing îs în a coma.  But she was happy to wake up and eager to see XL, perhaps thinking that it can lead to something eventually, hence why she cried when she realised XL sent her back. She wasn't happy nor too willing to go back. And the Voodoo King didn't really tell her much, when he realised Jing was her partner and not the owner of the second bug, he backed off and avoid telling her that în order for someone to get the bug he must have love în his heart.

"Xiao Yao flipped over the railing ready to dive into the water to chase after Xiang Liu but a pair of hands grabbed her hard and pulled her back on deck.

“Let me go…….” Xiao Yao struggled and then turned around to see Jing. She meekly allowed him to keep her on deck.

Xiao Yao tentatively asked “When did you get up?”

Jing said “I’ve been up for awhile.” Actually, he couldn’t sleep either so he knew from the moment Xiao Yao went on deck. But it was clear she wanted to be alone so he didn’t go disturb her.

From the very beginning Xiang Liu knew Jing was there on deck so Xiang Liu cast a spell that blocked anyone from hearing what he was discussing with Xiao Yao, except he allowed Jing to listen in.

Seeing Xiao Yao going to chase after Xiang Liu, Jing couldn’t explain the feeling but he rushed forward instinctively and grabbed Xiao Yao as if afraid she would vanish from his life."

Like even Jing at one point was afraid of that, so I belive în a way XY was more capable of turning her back on everything than XL ever was, but as I said, had she know the whole picture, which she didn't. Also, why would he let Jing hear everything?  The way I am seeing it was because XL knew she would want to go after him, thus he allowed Jing to listen în order for him to stop her. 

"Ah Heng appeared to snap out of it and asked “Is he good to you?”

Xiao Yao said “Yes, very good.”

Ah Heng added “No one treats you even better? Why does it have to be him?”

Xiao Yao said “Because only him, no matter what happens, he will never leave me.”

Not because he loves him dearly or can't live without him, hence not even because he makes her happy, but because he treats her best, thus loves her and wont turn his back on her. She loves jing because he loves her, but she loves XL despite not knowing his feelings / devotion and almost always keeping her at a distance and acting not very nice. 

"The man wanted to shake Xiao Yao off but she was like a squid clinging onto him and refusing to let go. The man got annoyed “If you don’t let go then I’m going to stop being polite!”

“Go ahead! If I hurt then you’re not going to feel good either!”

The richly dressed man sighed and took off his mask before turning around. With the starry sky behind him his face gradually changed to reveal his true visage.

Xiao Yao stared at him before breaking into a beaming smile, the happiness lighting up her eyes.

Xiang Liu wearily asked “Miss Xi Ling, what do you want?”

“I…..I…..” Xiao Yao actually didn’t know what she wanted so she got tongue-tied. She finally said “Help me break the voodoo bug spell and you can pick your price!"

" Xiao Yao was silent before asking “Did you come to Zhi Yi just to see Jing? When are you leaving?”

“If you didn’t stop me then I would have left already.”

Xiao Yao suddenly realized that she was still holding on tightly to Xiang Liu’s arm and she quickly let go.

“Where’s Jing? Still in the gambling den?”

Xiang Liu smirked and looked down the long corridor “He’s been behind you this whole time.”

Jing walked forward and took Xiao Yao’s hand in his hand.

Xiao Yao wanted to warn Xiang Liu to be careful and leave as soon as possible but now she couldn’t say those words so remained silent."

Jing really îs a bit of a stalker, if you ask me. 

That's one of Jing's traits that bothered me. His stalking behavior... I've been stalked in real life so seeing him do it to Xiao Yao really irked me.

blabla100:
"Xiao Yao flipped over the railing ready to dive into the water to chase after Xiang Liu but a pair of hands grabbed her hard and pulled her back on deck.

“Let me go…….” Xiao Yao struggled and then turned around to see Jing. She meekly allowed him to keep her on deck.

Xiao Yao tentatively asked “When did you get up?”

I hated this scene. I hated him grabbing her. She could've went after XL and spent more time with him in the ocean ??‍♀️

blabla100:
Not because he loves him dearly or can't live without him, hence not even because he makes her happy, but because he treats her best, thus loves her and wont turn his back on her. She loves jing because he loves her, but she loves XL despite not knowing his feelings / devotion and almost always keeping her at a distance and acting not very nice.

This ?She loves both men in different ways but I feel like she loves XL more despite him pushing her away.

@blbla100 @elise…that scene written wasn’t in season 1…in season 2?

well how it wrote the gleam in her eyes happiness and that she wanted to dive to follow XL shows how she was attracted to XL…

wait the mom ah Heng isn’t dead ..will appear season 2?  Was chi chen sides with chenron army? if that is her biological father almost makes sense she can be with XL since same sides ..but sigh too bad …

Elise:
I hated this scene. I hated him grabbing her. She could've went after XL and spent more time with him in the ocean ??‍♀️

Dude always showing up quickly like bad news lmao

Dramadoggy2021:

@blbla100 @elise…that scene written wasn’t in season 1…in season 2?

well how it wrote the gleam in her eyes happiness and that she wanted to dive to follow XL shows how she was attracted to XL…

wait the mom ah Heng isn’t dead ..will appear season 2?  Was chi chen sides with chenron army? if that is her biological father almost makes sense she can be with XL since same sides ..but sigh too bad …

Yes, the scene happens in the second half of the novel. it'll happen in season 2 maybe. Xiao Yao's mom Ah Heng isn't dead. idk if they're going to show her in season 2. In the novel, Jing, XY, and her dad the King of Haoling go to where Ah Heng is. After they talk to her, she disappears (finally dies). 

Chi Chen? (His name is Qi Yo in the novel) Yes, he's her bio father and he sided with Chenrong. I wish someone wrote a fanfic of XY competing for the throne and becoming queen like Daenerys Targaryen from GOT ??.? lol I know, I know it's wayyy out of character but she has the blood of both sides and it would've been interesting.

It's too bad they couldn't be together... a lot of people share our sentiment. This reddit thread has so many good comments: https://www.reddit.com/r/CDrama/comments/15k5912/lost_you_forever_3rd_lead_syndrome/?sort=top

"I read the novel & knew the ending, knew what couple I should ship to enjoy the happiness as a conscientious person. But, I can’t help it, just can’t, all bc of the acting of tan jianci, now I am just so addicted to xiangliu regardless what’s waiting ahead.

Heart wants what it wants. What am I gonna do! Helpless & hopeless. Totally pissed off." ?

nathsketch:

Dude always showing up quickly like bad news lmao

every time he shows up I go like this ???

Elise:
"I read the novel & knew the ending, knew what couple I should ship to enjoy the happiness as a conscientious person. But, I can’t help it, just can’t, all bc of the acting of tan jianci, now I am just so addicted to xiangliu regardless what’s waiting ahead.

I had no idea there was a novel, a questionable ending, and a Chinese dude called TJC. 

Now that I know these things, screw the novel, the questionable ending, and just make good use of the Chinese dude called TJC.

Thanks. LOL