Hessa Volunteer Staff

that is excatly why I suggested this. Most of the problem stems from C-dramas.

Sleepninja:

I would enjoy this. Especially with all of my Chinese and Taiwanese dramas. The versions I watch almost always have a different episode count than what is on MDL. So it's hard to track progress.

Yuanwei Volunteer Staff

seems like Hessa's latest post is invisible (hopefully my post will make hers appear lolz)

Yuanwei:

seems like Hessa's latest post is invisible (hopefully my post will make hers appear lolz)

I can see her post now. :)

Yuanwei Volunteer Staff
 Sleepninja:

I can see her post now. :)

yep, I saw it too after I posted mine. :D

Yes I need this! I'm currently watching a lakorn and the episode set up is different to what is listed on MDL so it makes it hard for me to record my episode updates..

Plus I've noticed on Netflix many shows are uploaded with different eps.. it's very annoying considering I'm watching it on a legal site yet I can't even update it correctly on MDL because we don't have this option.

I find this an annoying problem the more I watch Chinese dramas.

Omg, this would be so useful! I've been so confused by web dramas in the past! O^O

I think It's best if you everyone could provide some example similar to the format below. This would help us understand the issue better and come up with a better solution.

Title:
Total Episodes:  #
Network: e.g. Netflix or Online
Duration: 30 mins

This indeed is a huge problem imo. Take the currently hugely popular Ashes of Love as an example. MDL says it has 63 episodes, which is creating huge misunderstandings. Chinese dramas always have two versions (unless they are web dramas) because TV stations recut them (for reasons of censorship or to match the airing time with other programs etc.), so there is the cut TV version and the original uncut DVD version which is simultaneously broadcast on online platforms like Youku, Tencent, etc.

In the case of Ashes of Love, 63 is the number of episodes from the cut TV version. The version that most international fans watch is the DVD version though, which has 60 episodes. This is also the version that usually gets subtitled, so Viki has the 60 episodes. And fans who don't know about the existence of these two different versions keep pestering people at Viki where the last three episodes are.

I think it would be a good idea to add the different versions to MDL. After all, there are also people who know Chinese and might watch the cut TV version without subs, and the number of episodes can hugely differ, see Across the Ocean to See You for example. The DVD version has 44 episodes and the TV version 26 (see Baidu). 

Btw, I noticed that you usually find the number of episodes from the DVD version in MDL (which makes sense since most international fans will watch this version). I don't know why, but only for Ashes of Love the number from the cut version was put in, whis is why there are now misunderstandings.

I do agree with this issue. Is this normally by network or format? How many formats are there?

Standard, DVD, TV Station

For Cdramas first there is the destinction between TV dramas and web dramas. Web dramas are only aired on online streaming platforms and have only one format. But TV dramas have two formats because the TV station will cut the drama differently for their broadcast. Every TV station in China is doing that. But every TV drama is also simultaneously broadcast online in the original format. So we have 1) DVD version (uncut version, director's cut, version streamed online) and 2) TV version (cut version, version seen on TV).

The DVD version always consists of episodes which are 45 minutes long while the TV cut version has episodes of varying lenght from 30-45 minutes.

Just wanted to add that there are also cantonese and mandarin versions that have different episode counts.

This show for example https://mydramalist.com/21691-infernal-affairs

Chinese mandarin version has three seasons 12 episodes each
https://movie.douban.com/subject/26614084/
https://movie.douban.com/subject/26982797/
https://movie.douban.com/subject/26992119/

Cantonese version has one season 30 eps
https://movie.douban.com/subject/27663996/

Cantonese Nirvana in Fire had 47 episodes as opposed to mandarin 54. 

Haeju:
Chinese mandarin version has three seasons 12 episodes each

How does that work? That's a lot more complicated than just different format numbering 

Ji-N:

How does that work? That's a lot more complicated than just different format numbering 

I don't think that many people actually saw cantonese dubbed Nirvana in Fire because it's always the mandarin versions that get subbed, but it's the other way with - Infernal Affairs show. Every popular site only has dubbed and cut cantonese version but mandarin one (3x12) is nowhere to be found, unless you are chinese. Both of versions have separate OSTs, some of scenes were re-shot, it's not some fandub but chinese-hong kongese co-project and each country moulded the show first before releasing it. 

This is not something extremely popular, but there is a possibility that another show is in a similar situation, so it would be nice to create additional format tag for cantonese versions or at least option to choose multiple tv/web versions (for example TV1 has 3 seasons x 12 eps, TV2 has 30 eps)

The issue is the season and rating are the tricky bit. There are too many possibilities for 1 episode, and episode rating doesn't add up with each other. If you rate episode 15 on TV version doesn't mean it is episode 15 on DVD version.