Wandering_Queen:

This is why I was going to suggest we have a page or a listing of tags so people can easily see them. Right now tags are just something we can write in or search for but it would be more helpful to have them written out to choose from, eliminate duplicates and we could define what the tag means if necessary.

Nice idea! 

Added my one, lonely vote, because the tags/genres are kind of a mess, and it drives me bananas.

It's true that the Genres and Tags system need to be fixed, 'cause right now it's a mess, and there are many duplicates. 

I personally disagree with some suggestions. For example I STRONGLY disagree with Wuxia becoming a tag instead of a genre, it's not the same thing as Historical or Fantasy, and it may be something that usually includes Historical, Fantasy, Martial Arts, Drama, Action, etc, but it's NOT just a sum of its parts, it's a different thing that DESERVES to be called a genre. It also comes with a few subgenres, which can stay as tags, e.g. Xianxia, Xuanhuan. 

I also disagree with Tragedy becoming a tag, tragedy doesn't just means someone dies at the end (hence spoiler), it's a distinct and defined genre, originated in the theatre of ancient Greece.

But despite my disagreements, I wouldn't really mind any genre becoming a tag, and vice-versa, if and ONLY IF it would also become possible to browse through, search, EXCLUDE search, and DISPLAY all tags properly!! 

And speaking of tags, in my opinion, these could break down as 3-5 different categories: 

- Tropes (e.g rich man-poor woman, amnesia, accident)

- Themes (e.g character development, personal growth, redemption, grey morality, fate)

- Other tags [Subgenres, settings, historical period, things included in the plot, characters, etc.] (e.g xianxia, Joseon dynasty, desert, fluffy, strong female lead, power struggle, special powers)

- Triggers (e.g Suicide, Gore, Bright Lights): For these category especially, it's extremely important to implement some kind of EXCLUDE FILTER search!

- Adaptation could be another category of tags, and it includes: Adapted from a Novel, Web-novel, Light-novel, Comic, Manga, Manhua, Manhwa, Webtoon, Play, Folklore, Mythology, Video Game, Anime.

Some of these can belong to more than one category, e.g revenge. But all of these categories and types of tags are relevant, and shouldn't be disregarded as not important, 'cause it's really different for each one of us!! 

For example, I may personally not give a rat's @ss if a drama depicts a "First Love", or if the "Male Chases Female First" or vice-versa, but search constantly for more dramas with the "Redemption" theme, or that are set on "Tang Dynasty", but that doesn't mean that any of these tags are more or less important than other tags and all should be present somehow (just not duplicated)!

They are there for search purposes to find something to watch! Or to exclude something from a search on what to watch next! Or simply to know what a drama is about! :)

Yuanwei Volunteer Staff
 Estelll:
And speaking of tags, in my opinion, these could break down as 3-5 different categories: 

I'm starting to agree with this suggestion. We really should have different categories: Main Genres, Sub-genres and/or Themes, Tropes,  Triggers, Tags (where all the random things like "rain", "cherry blossom", "handsome male lead" can go to XD), as well as a clear definition for each of them and where each should go into. 

The tags are a total mess right now. Users keep submitting and deleting them as they see fit and it's a bit difficult to know which to approve or not if you haven't seen the drama/movie. 

Can XianXia please be added either as a genre or tag? Thank you!

I think this is likely an unpopular opinion, but I thought I'd put it out there, anyway. I don't think xianxia dramas should be listed as Historical. Calling xianxia dramas Historical is like calling The Lord of the Rings a historical novel/film.

I'm not saying that something has to actually be based on history to be called Historical. For example, The Moon Embracing the Sun is not about a real king, but it is clearly set in the Joseon Dynasty. I think even dramas that are set in quasi-historical time periods or dramas that have some fantasy elements could still be called Historical. For example, Arthdal Chronicles has a bit of fantasy and is set in a fictionalized version of the late Bronze Age, but the plot is still centered around things like slavery, religion, politics, legitimacy, and state formation, thus it is still a story about topics that were important in the period it was inspired by. The Rise of Phoenixes is another example of a drama that is not set in a real historical dynasty, but that still seems Historical.

On the other hand, Eternal Love is primarily about things like reincarnation and conflicts between different groups of gods/immortals. Are any of the major characters even human (aside from brief periods where they are reincarnated as humans)? The only aspects that are at all Historical are the sets/costumes and the fact that it is inspired by ancient myths/religions. But the same could be said about The Lord of the Rings, and that is always categorized as Fantasy not Historical.

Basically, I think if the story largely revolves around human concerns, human society, human politics etc. in a historical or quasi-historical setting, then the genre should be Historical (some could also be Fantasy, such as The Legend or Arthdal Chronicles). If the story largely revolves around magic and the conflicts between deities, cultivators, etc., then the genre should be Fantasy (or Xianxia, if you end up adding that to the genres).

Mir:

Can XianXia please be added either as a genre or tag? Thank you!

Xianxia already is a tag. If you want to add it to a drama, click on "(Vote or add tags)." Then you will see an option to "Add Tag" and if you type "xianxia" into the search, it should come up. You'll have to wait for it to be approved before it appears on the drama page.

I am totally on board with keeping the number of genres as small as possible. It is ridiculous and messy to keep splitting things into smaller and smaller sub-genres.

I came here from another post, so I'm just posting my general thoughts:

"We should use authoritative references.
A genre is something general and established as a constant in the whole industry. For instance, the French organization for cinema recognizes only 9 genres: Comedy, Drama, Horror/Science-Fiction/Fantasy, Thriller/Adventure, Crime,  History/War, Biopic, Animation, Documentary
Now I think it's not too far fetched to separate some of them but you have the general idea.

Having a limited number of sub genre could be a good idea. For instance, a film with Horror as a genre and Zombies as a sub genre, or a drama with Romance as a genre and BL/GL as a sub genre, or I don't know what. But it should stay general and be the main point of the story.

For the rest, for me it's only tags. [...] there a lot of them and some don't make sense or are pertinent. I see a lot of them among the highest voted being about the band the idol-actor is in. I don't see how it's pertinent for a drama that one of the actor is an idol. Tags should be about what's inside the drama/movie, not outside. "

Yuanwei:

I'm starting to agree with this suggestion. We really should have different categories: Main Genres, Sub-genres and/or Themes, Tropes,  Triggers, Tags (where all the random things like "rain", "cherry blossom", "handsome male lead" can go to XD), as well as a clear definition for each of them and where each should go into. 

The tags are a total mess right now. Users keep submitting and deleting them as they see fit and it's a bit difficult to know which to approve or not if you haven't seen the drama/movie. 

Doesn't sound messy to me. It's more organised this way. Will be difficult at the beginning to put all the info in the pages, but we can do it together!   

Agreed.
Also I feel like if a voted tag falls below (I mean in the negative) a certain percent, it should be removed. I've seen some at -80% of being irrelevant. 

FearStreetZombie:

Agreed.
Also I feel like if a voted tag falls below (I mean in the negative) a certain percent, it should be removed. I've seen some at -80% of being irrelevant. 

On a side note, since this doesn't exactly have to do with genres. I agree with this tag thing too. This way it is shown that multiple people agree it is irrelevant. For instance just because I vote a tag as completely irrelevant, doesn't mean another user finds it irrelevant. So -80% relevance is at least the result of a few people voting it down.

Yuanwei Volunteer Staff

Just commenting to bring this back up. :D

Yuanwei:
Just commenting to bring this back up. :D

It's aliiiiiiive!  

It’s really interesting to read all the opinions on tags and genres. I do agree wirh the vast majority of opinions people have stated so this has 2 votes from me.