@Ali_101 ... LOL I was writing at same time you posted. ....  Oh, I can see you will catch the Ken bug .... He is an amazing actor; in case you have not noticed, he's the pic for my profile photo, and he's the only constant thing on my profile page, since I first started MDL.  So, you can't praise him enough for me.  he's great at being the complex and cruel bad-boy, but his Rom-coms bring out his natural relaxed attitude and "Dorkiness" (closer to his RL personality) . No matter the role, he always seems to have that childish air about him. .... 

Well, you seem open to SB, and from ep.1 , you like the same things I like.  Let's see how well you can handle Kawee's cruelty and if you can believe his redemption , which infuriated people; I think it was very well done, slowly, step-by-step, he learns how to deal w/ his turmoil and emotions, and learns the appropriate behavior to express it.  As I mentioned, SB is the best written and the best acted, hands down..... I am hesitant to recommend b/c I tend to prefer the older lakorns, and you were surprised by the quality of the 2008 version.   

I like the older lakorns b/c they have better developed characters.  The plots usually focused on character growth, inner motivation and relationships.  The newer ones rely more on action to push the plot, and on  1-dimensional black or white characters.  For ex., for excitement (instead of growth)  they add the crazy over-the-top (N'rai) second female lead (like in Kleun Cheewit) , they add unnecessary villains who are pure evil, and perfect leads, or at least they don't have flaws that an audience cannot accept.  For instance, Jee in the original Kleun Cheewit was an alcoholic who killed his fiancee while drunk, it wasn't the villain who drugged her.  Today's audience would not have forgiven her or accepted Sathit's forgiveness of her , but they have missed her beautiful redemption and the emotional turmoil of Sathit accepting his attraction to her. ...... Anyway, let me think and review my list, and will write you suggestions later .... Meanwhile, I hope u will let me know what ur final thoughts of SB will be. :)

Ali,

Rainruma got it right those are all great dramas with Nadeck (I am really looking forward to Crown Princess as well) So instead other dramas to check out are:

• (Nadeck is in this one) Tarm Ruk Keun Jai is adorable although the female lead is a little to childlike Nadeck does a great job at being the smoldering protective boss. (Link on facebook)
  • U Prince Series (if you’re ok with some a**holes) (links on Youtube)
  • Game Maya (bodyguard drama) (link on Dailymotion)
  • I really like the Cupid Series, but I skipped around a bit (3 and 5 are my favorite) [Ok I really like 5] (Dailymotion)
  • Piang Chai Kon Nee Mai Chai Poo Wised is a great one about a cute doctor (seriously adorable baby face) and his debtor (reluctant marriage drama) (Youtube)
  • I kind of like Jam Loey Rak even though I am not a fan of the violent ones with lots of easily avoidable misunderstandings. It is about Harit who wants to take vengeance on the girl who caused his brother's death. He kidnaps who he thinks is Sansanee to torture her, but he doesn't know that the girl that he kidnaps is Soraya, Sansanee's cousin. (Youtube)

I’m sure there is more I forgot but yeah that is my other suggestions ???? Check out Nekomeowmeow to watch subbed episodes as well as Facebook and just streaming online if you need links let me know!

If any one knows where I can find Pan Rak Pan Rai in English sub. please let me know! I really want to watch it!

I really enjoyed Leh Ratree (2015 Sean and Esther version) and I recently watched Karn la krang neung...nai hua jai ( a girl caught in between two warring mafia, it was so good!)

Buppae Sunniwas (Pope and Bella) just finished airing and it is SO GOOD. Definitely in the top 5 for me, and I'm only on episode four.

If you like dramatic lakorns, I'd recommend Pin Anong (2012) with Weir and Min. It's a bit of a headache at times with the misunderstandings, but Weir and Min have great chemistry and it's very well-written with rounded characters. And it's a lot less prudish about kiss/love scenes than other lakorns (they actually do real kisses and such) Also, Weir is super hot playing the bad boy...;)

Full House Thai is one you have to watch no matter what kind of lakorns you like. It's absolutely incredible and has some of the best writing, acting, directing I've seen inside or outside of Thailand.

Padiwaradda is more of a feel-good love story, but it's got just about everything you could want in a lakorn: action, comedy, romance, chemistry. It's in my top 5 as well. I've watched it four times in less than a year.

Sud Sai Pan (2013) with Toomtam and Vill is good, assuming you like good romance, crazy ex-girlfriends, and so much drama you'll lose track of it. I skip a lot of it when I watch it, but it's certainly a dramatic one.

@rainruma

I am hesitant to watch older lakorns cause : 

a) Most of the times I cannot find the good ones subbed (or maybe I don't know where to find them?) and even when I do the quality of the uploaded videos is so crappy,it turns me off.Even for the 1st ep of SB that I watched,the quality was sooo bad I wanted to drop it at one point. 

b) REMAKES! sometimes I stumble upon lakorns that have been remade twice/thrice and get confused on which version to watch,So I drop it all together.

BUT I am open to suggestions since you seem to know some good old lakorns.I really hope they are available in good quality and proper subs.

And what you said about the second female lead in KC is sooo true.I skipped ALMOST ALL of her parts cause she was soooo annoying and illogical?! I mean if I were the partner then I wouldn't stay with a spouse when they have so much mistrust and suspicion.She was too overbearing and I still don't know why he chose to stay with her? what you mentioned about the older version of KC,about Jee's character-I was NOT AWARE of that.Now that I think about it,that would change A LOT of things and the complexity of the whole situation would be doubled ( I didn't think it was even possible to make this lakorn more complex...LOL )

Finally about SB,when I get around to watching it (maybe after sometime) I'll definitly post about it here.If it REALLY impresses me,I'm even thinking of writing my first ever review on MDL about this lakorn.I recently read in the comments that there is a talk about a remake of this lakorn? I'm not sure if I want it.I can't imagine anyone else playing these roles and to such perfection.HOWEVER,depending on what you said about KC,even though I haven't seen the original I think Mark & Yaya did a great job in portraying their characters in the remake.So maybe there is hope that the SB remake will do some justice to the original if the script is tight and the casting is done right.We'll have to wait & see I guess.What are your thoughts on this? If there was a remake,would you watch it?

@laurliv

• First off,I'm REALLY EXCITED to watch Crown Princess too!! The posters look good and even if they didn't,at this point I'd watch anything if it has Yaya.I'm so in love with her!
  • I literally just added this nadech drama you mentioned to my watchlist!  The rest are going on my watchlist too!
  • About Game Maya,I'm a little conflicted.Even though it has good reviews,some people think it is too draggy and others don't think there is enough chemistry or romance in this.Maybe you can help me decide if it is worth watching.What did you like about it?
  • I'm looking forward to watching the cupid series and the U-prince series cause they have some super cute mvs on youtube and i just can't resist it anymore...LOL 
  • About JLR,again conflicted about this one because of polar opposite reviews of it.But since I took a chance with SB and REALLY LIKED it,I think I'll give this one a chance too.Where should I watch it? I usually download eps to watch later on,So any good site that I could find it on?

And Thanks for the suggestions!!

OnigiriBunnie:

I really enjoyed Leh Ratree (2015 Sean and Esther version) and I recently watched Karn la krang neung...nai hua jai ( a girl caught in between two warring mafia, it was so good!)

I already enjoyed Leh Ratree and became a total Sean fangirl-SERIOUSLY this guy is HELLA CUTE and acts well!! This lakorn you mentioned,I was actually just about to download it.I'll watch once my vacation starts next week....WOOHOOOO!!!!

Ok, so one with a crazy plot : Paen Rai Long Tai Wa Rak

This drama is laugh out loud funny, yet dramatic and frustrating at times. All in all it is a fun ride and I just loved it :D

@PianoPlayer1

• I've heard so many great things about Buppae Sunniwas,especially about the lead actor Pope and the couple's chemistry.So I'm REALLY EXCITED to watch this one!!
  • Pin Anong- great chemistry,well written characters,REAL KISSES?!?!!! *bookmarks at the speed of light* Seriously,I'm just craving to see a proper kiss in any lakorn,it's actually frustrating.Mark & Yaya's chemistry in KC was just bouncing off the screen and making me feel all these things,one proper hot kiss would have just sealed it for me but I guess you can't have it all!
  • Padiwaradda-also heard a lot about this one.But some feel that the story is dragged too long or too slow? please shed some light on this.Though I'm patient with dramas if I like them,I have a low threshold for things like this.

Thanks for the recommendations!All of them will go on my watchlist.

tomatipasta:

Ok, so one with a crazy plot : Paen Rai Long Tai Wa Rak

This drama is laugh out loud funny, yet dramatic and frustrating at times. All in all it is a fun ride and I just loved it :D

I don't really have any funny lakorns on my watchlist so this is definitely going in! I'm excited to explore the comedy genre in lakorns.Any other similar favs that are of comedy genre?

@Ali_101

Nice to see you're interested in Thai lakorns. They are definitely a different breed of drama but if you like their tropes and formulas, you'll be in for a treat. 

I see that you're interested in funny/ comedy lakorns. Well, here are my little contributions, for your consideration:-

1. 'Oum Rak' (2006) - starring my all-time favourite Thai on-screen couple, Ken T and Anne T. It's an accidental pregnancy cliche sort of show, but the comedy here is, for me, one of the best out there because Ken does comedy incredibly well and he's such a hoot here, and also his on-screen interactions and chemistry with Anne is just unbeatable. Anne's character is a bit of an arrogant bitch here but Ken more than makes up for it. One of the best Thai rom-com shows I've seen. 

2. 'The Cupid Series: Sorn Ruk Kammathep' (2017) - you don't have to watch any previous 'Cupid Series' shows to dive straight into this one. This is another hilarious show with a man-hater having made a contract arrangement with a player to fend off marriage candidates. The main female lead here is hilarious, especially for the first half of the show. There are annoying antagonists and side characters, as well as drama plot fillers (typical of most Thai lakorns, I'm afraid), but I think they are worth overlooking for the laughs. 

3. 'Soot Saneha' (2009) - another Ken T and Anne T lakorn, this is another great rom-com of this famous pairing. The female lead here is such an unforgettable character in her quest to please the man she hopes to eventually marry. She hires a chef to teach her how to cook and their interactions and scenes are wonderfully hilarious and heart-warming. You should check it out, despite the fairly average video quality of this show. 

Others to consider are:-

4. 'Duang Jai Akkanee' (2010) - Yadech's (the Yaya and Nadech pairing) debut series, I think. They are very young and still rather raw and green here but they fit the role of bickering juvenile kids to a tee. A Romeo & Juliet style rom-com. 

5. 'Pope Rak' (2014) - with Bella and Mark Prin. If you liked Mark in 'Kleun Cheewit', you'll probably enjoy him here. He plays a different character to his Sathit, and romancing a ghost can be rather funny. 

6. 'Song Huajai Nee Puer Tur' (2015) - with Mint C and Mario. Another show with lots of bickering but Mario plays a person with a double-personality well. 

Hope this helps, and enjoy your trip in Thai lakorn-land. :)

@Ali_101

Concerning 'Padiwaradda', well, the pace is not as intense and snappy as 'Kleun Cheewit' but that's because the show is not a revenge or slap/kiss lakorn, nor is it one of those bickering rom-com lakorns. The premise is about an arranged marriage couple learning to live with each other and falling in love with each other in the process. The show takes its time to focus on the everyday living of the 1950s and there is a more mellow and relaxed feel within the scenes. Some people might find this to be draggy or slow but I personally enjoyed the more sedate pace of this lakorn because it makes the blossoming romance so much more believable.

It's definitely a change of pace from your average exciting lakorn but there are moments of excitement and drama too (that's why they are lakorns!) in the form of the side plots and the rather crazy second female lead. Both of them definitely add the spice to the whole setup. 

I'd like to encourage you to give this show a try. Who knows, you might come to like it the way many others who have watched it have too (the rating for this show on this site is not low). 

Ali_101:
Padiwaradda-also heard a lot about this one.But some feel that the story is dragged too long or too slow? please shed some light on this.Though I'm patient with dramas if I like them,I have a low threshold for things like this.

@MusicalVeggies is Pope Rak horror? I have been wanting to watch it but I am afraid that since there is 'ghost' it will be horror genre. I love Mark Prin though so I want to see it TT

Love both "Sawan Biang" and "Game Rai Game Ruk!" The acting of both leads are very strong and the males really know how to be emotional: Best manly tears ever. Here's my favorite mv of "Game Rai Game Ruk:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1rjMYsgY6A (very intense and sexy)