• Last Online: Mar 17, 2018

pjbottomZzz

El Paso, Texas
Night Light
Jun 11, 2017
Yo-Won Lee owned the role of Seo Yi-Kyung, a ruthless and savvy Japanese business woman who disrupts South Korea's corporate boy's club in this brilliant K-drama. I absolutely loved the fact that she used her lady smarts and not her lady parts to get what she wanted. This show is a clear departure from other Asian dramas where women portray a more subordinate role, damsels in distress in constant need of rescuing where their only goal in life is to get married and have children. Night Light bitch slaps that notion with Seo Yi-Kyung bringing off-the-charts girl power and much needed feminine badassery to the corporate table.

Strong Woman Do Bong Soon
Aug 16, 2017
This show was trying to go in too many different directions at the same time but ended up being a heavy-handed romantic snooze fest with flashes of mostly bland humor and drama.
There never really seemed to be any sense of urgency to catch the bad guy.
How inept and pointless was that police force?
The real villains of this show are the writers by keeping the character of Do Bong Soon subordinate to the male lead whom she eventually marries, which shows a severe lack of imagination for a female character with super human strength.
I expected more "girl power" and female badassery from this show.
Other than being physically attractive, I saw no reason for the leads to be together.
I lost it when the bomb transformed into a fireworks display.

Bromance
Jun 10, 2017
I pretty much cringed, eye-rolled, and retched my way through every episode. The suspension of disbelief was too great. Megan Lai's character, Pi Ya Nuo, seemed to be more of a mockery than a genuine attempt at being "one of the boys". She came across more as a lesbian with a terrible sense of fashion. The chemistry between the romantic leads was nearly extinct, registering somewhere between zero and lame. Some of the fight scenes looked like they were choreographed by Richard Simmons and Baron Chen never convinced me that he was a mafia boss' son. He would be more believable as the leader of a Disney street gang comprised of a bunch of aging, disgruntled, former idol pop stars. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm completely in love with Mandy Tao I would've abandoned this show early on. Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy T-dramedies, but not this one.

Breakout
Aug 3, 2017
I just finished watching the final episode and I'm still laughing! This show never really took itself seriously though the story was very solid.
It seemed to be a parody of itself by overdosing on the absurd action and exaggerated performances of the actors resulting in a more comic effect rather than a dramatic one.
I recommend this show to anyone who needs a good laugh.
Investigator Alice
Jul 18, 2017
I would say this show was bad, but that would mean it was intended to be good.
I guess viewers were supposed to be educated as well as entertained, but they have to be interested first.
Eight episodes of Investigator Alice was 8 episodes too many.
K-pop stars are often used by the So Ko show biz industry to attract younger audiences to watch shows where the subject matter may be too complex or just plain boring. However, Kim Nam Joo's acting did nothing to make this show even boring (boring being a step up from the snoozefest it is).
This show had no pulse, as she flatlined through every episode.
The only take away from this train wreck is that Kim Nam Joo has set the bar pretty low for future K-pop stars to make the transition from singing to acting (or whatever it is she was doing).
***WARNING***
There is an Investigator Alice 2!

Playful Kiss
Jul 9, 2017
I thought the leads and the supporting cast performed very well, the characters were very believable and there was very little stretching of the imagination.
Ummm...but again, if I were Oh Ha Ni's father there'd be no way in hell I would want my daughter to be with an arrogant, condescending prick like Baek Seung Jo just because he's good looking. I mean, talk about low self-esteem! Wow!
My Queen
Jul 6, 2017
I was tempted to rip this show a new one after watching episode 33, which was at best terrible and at worst consistent -- consistently terrible. The writers must have been dropping acid when they wrote that episode. I mean, that was a real gamble. In the ending scene of the episode in question, I found myself unable to stop laughing, though I'm sure it was supposed to have a dramatic effect. However, I decided not to unleash my venom after watching the final episode. I was very satisfied with the ending and I found all the characters very likable.
Murphy's Law of Love
Jun 12, 2017
A renew agent of divorce? Really?
I found this T-dramedy to be too formulaic, stacking the deck with eye candy in order to compensate for a very dull story.
Oh man! Ji Jia Wei has mommy issues! Who cares? And Guan Xiao Tong got stood up. So how does that make her a love expert?
I'm sorry but Danson Tang had this creepy androgynous vibe going on like a #prettyboystalkerserialkiller. Of course, he was very convincing as an emotionally distant asshole, which is apparently a requirement for the role of romantic male lead in most Taiwanese television shows.
Ivelyn Lee is incredibly cute and adorable but she looked underage and the o-t-t pouting served only to emphasize that fact. She looked like she should've been carded in various scenes. I foolishly thought that maybe, just maybe the writers at some point would use her fake-id-middle-schooler-who-is-caught-out-after-curfew-look as a vehicle for some much needed entertainment mileage but I guess I was wrong.

Boys Over Flowers
Jun 10, 2017
Unfortunately for Lee Min Ho, he looked much older than the high schooler he was attempting to portray and his hairstyle was ridiculous, an obvious attempt to make him appear youthful but a distraction throughout most of the episodes. He seemed overly committed to the role of F4's leader, Jun Pyo -- a rich, arrogant asshole with mommy issues and at no time did I root for him to be with Jan-Di. If I were her parents I wouldn't want my daughter anywhere near an unstable prick subject to violent outbursts. I mean, if this show is a reflection in any way of South Korea's culture at large than the entire country is filled with a bunch of romantic bullies! Jun Pyo's infantilizing treatment (a paternalistic father knows what's best for the child) of Jan-Di was difficult to watch but what was even more difficult to watch was her suffer from a kind of Stockholm Syndrome where the victim identifies with her attacker.

Mind Game
Sep 8, 2017
After watching a few of these types of shows, it's obvious that Singaporeans are obsessed with hypnotism and mental disabilities.
What makes these shows so good is that they're not afraid to be bad.
I was very distracted by the mole on the bottom lip of the female lead.
A lot of the fight scenes looked more like a martial arts demonstration for the blind.
***PROGRAM DISCLAIMER***
No real acting was involved in the making of Mind Game.
Refresh Man
Jul 15, 2017
I'm a fan of Aaron Yan. I really am but I'm not a fan of the characters he plays in these T-dramas, though he's very convincing. I don't like it when the male lead treats his love interest as a child rather than an equal, masking it as romance and in the name of love.
Anywho, I understand that these shows are formatted to be watched on a weekly basis (which makes binge watching them more difficult with numerous recaps) hence the butt load of flashbacks. However, I have to question the producers of this show, when the flashbacks dominate the series, seemingly for the female lead's benefit and not the viewers. It's as though the director felt that viewers needed their hands held week after week trying to recover from bouts of amnesia, not being able to recall episodes the week prior.
Joanne Tseng is beautiful but she should not have been cast as the romantic lead in this show. Her facial expressions seemed to convey more of a discomfort rather than a desire to be with Yan, robbing their scenes of the necessary chemistry to sustain my interest in their relationship.
I did enjoy the corporate drama and that it was easy to digest but the ending was predictable and therefore anticlimactic.
I'm in love with Lene Lai. I was team Elsa the entire time.
In addition, I watch all my Asian dramas on Netflix and just found out that they cut the black face scene in episode 12, which was very offensive. I learned about the black face scene on another website's review of the Refresh Man and I saw the actual scene on YouTube. Netflix should NOT be commended for not showing the scene because they still stream the series that produced it in the first place! ASSHOLES!!!!

P.S. Man
Jul 10, 2017
I'm not sure where the writers were going with this show other than being hell bent on getting the romantic leads together by any means necessary, but it seemed so cluttered and lackluster, though it has a top-notch cast (minus Chris Wang).
I was never convinced that Blue Lan's character Xia He Jie was a writer. He looked more homeless than rich the majority of the time and acted as if he was in and out of rehab.
I'm a fan of Sonia Sui but not in this show.
Fall in Love With Me
Jul 23, 2017
The amount of crack one needs to smoke in order to believe that a wardrobe change, a pair of glasses, and a different hairstyle is enough to fool highly skeptical characters into believing that there are actually two different people, who look that much alike and are never present at the same time, but are unrelated is the same amount of crack the writers and producers smoked when they created this show, committing plot suicide.
Congrats to the creators of Fall in Love with Me for making the surrounding characters playing opposite Lu Tian Xing/ Xiao Lu look stupid and causing them to lose all credibility throughout the rest of the series.
This show never gained any traction from the unimpressive meet/cute to a very much expected, unsatisfying conclusion.
I never thought I would grow to hate the lead characters so much.
This is by far the worst T-drama I have ever binged.
Aaron Yan's character never seemed to be held truly accountable for any of his actions.
The damage to Lu Tian Xing's watch was caused by Lu Tian Xing acting aggressively. Li Huan Huan ending up in a wheel chair, again, was caused by Lu Tian Xing acting aggressively. Watching the aggressive behavior of Yan's character in his treatment of Tao Le Si (who btw is the clumsiest third-degree black belt I've ever seen) was not consistent with her character letting him treat her that way.
Tao Le Si's love for Lu Tian Xing was unearned and should've never been given to him. Her love for him seemed to happen overnight.
This show was really just a 20 episode promo for Samsung products.
Lu Tian Xing's Samsung presentation was extremely lame and unconvincing as the CEO of Sky Rider.
It is these types of shows that inspire me to write fanfiction.

Inborn Pair
Jun 23, 2017
***WARNING***
I'm not a fan whatsoever of Chris Wang's acting. Just puttin' that out there. It doesn't matter what T-dramedy he's in. I know I can expect to retch, roll my eyes, and cringe, in varying amounts depending on if he's cast as the romantic lead, supporting role, or just making a guest appearance.
Unfortunately, he was cast as the romantic male lead, Ke Wei Xiang in Inborn Pair, where his facial expressions seem to range from a happy-go-lucky-dumbass to a completely-clueless-dumbass, mouth open, with a look of mild to severe constipation in between.
I don't know. Maybe it's just me.
I mean, as the viewing audience we're already expected to overlook a lot of the technical shortcomings (scenes with no continuity where the actor will be shown smiling from one angle but crying from another), suspend our disbelief when it comes to the show's premise we know is not likely to occur in the real world in order to enjoy these TTV romcoms. But when you have an actor like Chris Wang giving such a robotic performance, never closing the emotional distance needed for me to sympathize with his character at any time, the show became a chore to watch.
Personally, I don't believe 84 episodes were needed to tell us that the romantic leads would eventually end up together.
But it's the journey that counts, not the destination. Right?
Yeah, whatever.
I think the producers of this show were actually trying to convince themselves that Ke Wei Xiang and Song Yi Jie (Annie Chen) were meant to be together, despite being manipulated into marriage.
Needless to say, I didn't buy it.
A lot of their "chemistry" was paper thin, failing to make the transition from script to screen. What I found problematic about Ke Wei Xiang was that he was near perfect and whatever character flaws he possessed were not deal breakers. And really there was no logical reason for Wei Xiang not to be with Luo Yun (Or more likely why she would want to be with a clingy, insecure momma's boy. But then Pops Luo brought her back to reality. I'm not saying I approve of his method but I like the results. I just wished somebody would've done the same for Yi Jie).
I got far more entertainment mileage from the rest of the supporting cast with all their flaws, shortcomings and far more interesting stories instead of Wei Xiang and Yi Jie's who-gives-a-shit romance. Still. Eighty-four episodes? WTF?
I LOVE YOU Puff Kuo, Jenna Wang, Jennifer Hong, Annie Chen, and Fu Yin in that order.

Ex-Boyfriend
Jun 20, 2017
I really enjoyed the first 12 episodes and then I guess the writers said, "Screw that! All the previous episodes don't mean a damn thang! Let's try something else." Don't get me wrong! I don't mind unconventional endings but this sucked. I was really let down. It was as if all the drama and shit that happened in the previous episodes was for nothing. Zilch. Zero. Nada. I propose a 15th episode where the supporting cast members (minus the one who was killed) from the previous episodes converge on Taipei and beat the living shit out of the romantic leads, a gesture symbolizing the anger fans have towards the writers, after receiving no return on their emotional investment in this show.
Oh yeah! If hot Taiwanese women think Jerry Huang is good looking then I'm living in the wrong fuckin' country! A one-way ticket to Taiwan, please!