• Location: NYC
  • Birthday: August 24
  • Join Date: June 27, 2011
Because of You
Apr 13, 2019
What to say as much as I enjoyed the fluff between the main lead and the adorableness of Le Tong. This drama just had way too many happenings that didn’t sit well with me, bad deed went unanswered for way too long and no one truly got any retribution. I guess diehard fan may argue that some cosmic retribution were distributed, but personally I didn’t not feel that it was enough. And I have also rarely skipped watched a drama the way I did this. They had a really good premise that was poorly executed. The female lead didn’t shine unless the male lead was present ( because they presented the only enjoyable fluffiness. ) The rest of the time she was just nothing more than a doormat to the point that as a viewer I lost the will to root and empathize with her. And man I got to say that Xi Yun portrayer truly owned her role and made the vilain so detestable that there was not even a ounce of pity left for her. These drama is for those with extreme patience and a high tolerance for BS. Even if it is fiction I believe that a certain amount of torability is needed and that stringing the audience along for so long without even little victories along the way is truly cruel and unusual punishment.

Live
Dec 18, 2018
Wow it seems that this drama make it 3 for 3 of me writing a review this year. But this drama got the first 9.5 I have given this year we’re the highest score I have given has been a 8.5.

This review may not be quite cohenrent because I’m a total mess right now. But I feel like I should pour this out right now.

Coming into this drama you should prepare tons of tissues. Trust me I’m not a cryer but this drama has me in tears ( granted I just gave birth so I may still be quite hormonal. )But don’t dismiss my warning you need tissues. I really want to go to Korea and kiss Noh Hee Kyung for her genius and her ability to hit the right cords with slice of life dramas. If you don’t believe me you should try a few of her others works like Dear Friends, It’s okay, that love, that winter, the wind blows or Padam, Padam or even The world that they live in to cite a few from memory.

Writer-nim has just knows that perfect balance to just draw you in and make you feel for her characters. What to say about Live. Forget all the pretty boys and the young characters love stories or whatever. This drama which I believe was supposed to be more of an ensemble drama got truly dominated by the veterans cast, yes the veterans in this just shined and outshine the young crew. The ply of the new recruit is hard but you kinda easily get stuck on what annoys about them, like Sang Soo irrational need to be complimented and that annoying ways of feeling like the eternal victim that the world should revolves around. Kwang Soo did impress me in his first serious type of role but he did not draw me in. I didn’t feel for his character even thought I empathized with their circumstances.

What truly pull me in was Oh Yang Chon a good and mostly overzealous cop and his family and his circle of friend ( excluding the new recruits.) that truly made you cry, laugh. Oh Yang Chon and his wife Ahn Jang Mi truly make you go wow being a civil servant in South Korea truly is a thankless job. I mean in the climate in wich we live these days in the west you get a lot of the law enforcement protecting it own. But you don’t see it in this drama this family of cops is incessantly thrown under the bus by their higher up and the thankless public. I truly loved that the writer and the director didn’t try to romanticize the jobs they were doing.

Truly I’m feeling too emotional right now so I may edit the review later when I have calmed down. But for now I tell you don’t dismiss this drama go watch it. And truly if you see and of brave law enforcements unsung heroes say thank you.

All Out of Love
Dec 4, 2018
I have probably written only two review this year, and both of them were for shows were I deemed that one fanbase simply ruin the drama experience. I truly feel that it is sad when fanbase undermine the hard work that goes into putting a drama or movie together. That being said let me try to objectively review All Out Of Love.

All out of love for me was not a romance drama, yes it was a drama about love but not necessarily romantic love. It was more to me a drama about the different type of love out there, familial ( blood relations), the family we make for ourselves ( non blood relations) and friendships. And the importance we give all those relationship throughout one life.

This drama truth strength got buried beyond unnecessary censorship, meaning lost in translation and unruly fanbase.
Before writing my thoughts on the drama I did a lot of googling to understand the drama backstory and familiarized myself with plot points that when I was watching made no sense to me. And of course to understand the all controversy in regard to the character played by MTY.

So from the get go I want to say that it has been clarify by the author of the book that the character of TY is the main the lead, although when she started writing her books LS was the main, hence why the book title had his name in, and that by the time her novels change gear well her fan base already knew the book by that title and there was no point changing it. So to me the all hate MTY fans were throwing at Wallace just seems quite displaced. Especially when you truly dig into both their respective characters. While Wallace character YT got a lot of character washing by pretty being turned into a one dimensional perfect good guy instead of the multifaceted guy that he supposedly his in a book. After all in the book he is a driven ceo, loyal to a fault to his family while still being a feared and respected underworld boss who cuts LS two fingers out of jealousy. But that is clearly not who we get in the drama, in the drama we get this perfectly saintly guy with a patience and resilience that puts all human to shame, with his only flaw being a out of this world trust for his brother when everyone else can tell his brother it clearly a closeted psychopath. Yet it would be a disservice to Wallace to say that he did not own his character, although one dimensional Wallace's acting gave the character depth, even the choppy editing was not enough to dampen the depth of YT character, it was truly as if we were watching another drama within the drama.
And sadly that is not the same case with LS character, his character got the less cleanup but MTY was not able to bring depth to his character, if you are not a fangirl it was actually hard to be pull into feeling sorry for LS. I'm saying this because I watched the drama with my husband and mother-in-law. And the three of us had pretty opposing views, my husband and I have seen MYT in other dramas , and his acting his usually on par with some and sometimes like this time very underwhelming. This was my mil first encounter with him in such a prominent role and she was not impress. When you watched the drama the most that comes to mind when going through the character of LS is the overwhelming sense of depression. Throughout the drama MTY has this I'm super depressed look on his face even when the emotions he was supposed to convey was one of anger. I do get that there is a lot of grief going around in this drama but there is so many ways to express grief without looking depress the most starling difference is probably seen in the scene where JS tells YT about her abortion, with just his eyes since he has no dialogue you can see YT go from Joy to despair to simply undiluted anger. VS that scene were LS learns that JS and him are not related MTY fell to bring in people to feel is pain right there, when he is going to the most painful realisation of hs life that he can now without restraint go after the woman he love. No what come out at that moment his pretty much a robotic renditions of his line and once that dead in your soul emotion that his been sorting all along. And that is carried through the end where instead of seeing a guys that sacrifice his own happiness for his sister, all we see his a controlling man that choose to isolate himself from his friends and family and live in the past when he realize that he could not control any of them.

And that truly is the feel that we get at the end of this drama that was truly big at sending the vibe that if you decide to let go then you can be happy in life. When you don't learn to let go then life get pathetic for you.

The biggest contrast of love for me was truly between the way LS and YT loved JS. LS wanted to control her and seems quite content to have JS be is emotional sounding board. And he seemed to be content that she was totally and utterly co-dependent on him. While YT approach to loving JS was to let her go. He allowed if not pushed a little hard sometimes for her to make her own decision over the place she should have in his life, She was in control even when it seemed he was making the decision for her.

There is so many examples throughout the drama of the danger of not letting go of your obsession Bei's wife and mistress loose's their minds waiting for him to return to them and both died being insane. Even BWX obsession with JX , even if they try to give it a positive spin at the end with them ended together and waiting for the arrival of their child, we still see that in their desire not to let go he loses arm. And we can pretty much say that his life is quite in shambles while he was holding to his obsession. Then we also see it with Tianen because of hate he not only appears as the psycho, only once he decide to let go does he character actually take a turn were viewers somewhat get interested in his backstory.

I have so many thing to say but I feel like I should turn into an article. So what I'm going to say is that this is a really good drama if you go in focusing on the story and not the fan base. Because yes there is a story being told here, and it's a story of love, growth and forgiveness. My biggest regret is that the story truly suffered from censorship, and the negative connotations it send people with disabilities. There seemed to be an underlying tone that somewhat suggested that people with disability were not capable of love or making others around happy. And that irked me a little. And wow in watching this be ready to see a lot of hospital scene. I'm pretty sure this drama had been sponsor by hospital and apples selling merchant.

I kinda of went on quite a rant here , what I'm saying go watch the drama it 's good don't get swept into the controversies ad make your own opinion.

Singing All Along
Jul 9, 2018
My review is probably not going to be of help to anyone, but I just felt the pulsion to let this impression somewhere.

What can I say about Singing Along that would do this drama justice, probably nothing. I had this drama on y plan to watch for the last 3 years and every year I kept starting episode one and then putting back on hold. But to quench my thirst of waiting for Legend of Fuyao I picked this drama up again. And man that was the best decision I ever had. I binge watch this drama from all of Friday to now without sleep. Why you may ask well because it had been a long time since I had been so invested in characters struggles and victories.
Yin Li Hua and Lui Wenshu truly deserved their titles of beloved pair. But the beauty of this drama doesn't simply lay in the romance that will surely make you wish you had something similar. But the love and camaderies between family and friends is one of the reason this drama stand so tall. Your heart will break at the reality of war that is portrayed here. I have nothing but praise for the all cast. The lead truly lead and the supporting cast truly supported. Like I say I just need needed to give my two cents on this drama. I going to go to try to collect myself back and mourn the end of this drama and all the tears that I shed then I will go to bed.

The Flame's Daughter
Jul 3, 2018
I' m not going to waste my time in summaries, or go in a play by play of the drama. I just felt that I should make this little notes for the show in cases someone was wondering if this drama was worth it or not.

Well it a really good drama if you don't constantly compare it to Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms or King's Woman. It's a really good drama if you go in turning the useless Zhan Bin Bin fangirl mode. Because personally I think that this drama mostly gets a bad rep simply all of Zhan Bin Bin fans. This drama is about more than the romance. As someone here puts it, it's a story of growth. So if you truly want to enjoy this drama go in thinking for yourself. Don't let anyone sway you into one ship or another. And mostly don't compare and insult the all cast hard work.

Black Knight: The Man Who Guards Me
Feb 9, 2018
I haven't written a review in a while so take what I say with a grain of salt. I truly believe Black Knight deserve one to serve as a buffer of sort to all the negatives comments in the comments sections.
I have been watching dramas for over a decade now and I can fairly say that Black Knight is one of those Love it or Hate it drama. Personally I like it, it  wasn't spectacular enough to take me to the love level but it was warm enough to bring me to like.
So if you find yourself  looking for a drama were you know that there is 99% of chance that the plot and story progression will go nowhere, then you have found yourself at the right stop. Because that is exactly what you will get plotwise here :" NOWHWERE". But don't let the nowhereness of the plot deter you from 20 hours of free cheese and well place laughter if you know how to turn off your overthinking cap.
Let's  give props where there are due.
Go into this drama with zero expectations of wow moments and you will be the happiest person on earth. Go into this drama with a mind set that is ready to jump at every plot whole and expecting (a+b)=c moment and you are going to be the most miserable person on earth.

I came into this drama for Kim Rae Won and I was not disappointed, he showed that yes he is a veteran actor and he can work with whatever is thrown at him. And let's thanks this drama for giving female viewers out there a somewhat healthy male model,  Soo Hoo was kind, hard working and mature. He acted like a gentleman from the moment we met him and showed us that it is possible to want to attain childish dream while being an adult about it.  Something that we have to admit K-drama don't always show us.  So if you want to just chill and watched KRW do his thing then watch this.

Jang Mi Hee another veteran actress also shined in the mastery of her craft. She portray reformer Baek Hee with class.  Making us laugh at her eccentricity at the right moment and cheering for her to attain the absolution she so wanted. Go in at least just to check in Beak Hee moments even if you have to skip through the drama.

Seo Ji Hye  truly surprised me with her portrayal of Sharon. I'm not going to be singing her acting prowess because to me she more of  a hit or miss actress. But  I have to say that she nailed Sharon essence.  If what we wanted from Sharon was a emotion spot holder than an actress with better control of her facial expressions and mastery of acting would have been better.  But for what the drama came to give us of Sharon SJH  was a good choice.  She has that entitled feel to her.   If you have to check this out well at least check some of Sharon clip, she was at least funny in her eccentricity. Yet also delivered the right amount at annoyance at the mastery of the lack of development her character went through ( which I personally  think was intentional.) It occurred to me that maybe the point that the writer was trying to make with Sharon lay in her lack of moral or personal growth.

Acting wise these three are the only one that stood out for me. While it was quite cute watching Shin Se Kyung and Kim Rae Won be cheesy and cute together. Shin Se Kyung once again failed to invest me in her character, she seemed to be a simple place holder around which everyone else gravitated in order to be positioned right.
  Reading this I can see yourself asking what I'm trying to get at and what the point of these long review that doesn't really say much.  Well I what I truly want to say is, ignore the nagging people and the eternal discontent. Grab a bag of popcorn on a rainy and watch this, even as a place holder to cure that itch that you have for waiting for the other drama that you really wanna watch.  It would not be a wasted 20 hours.  It would just be  20 hours that you spent enjoying some nice cinematography, you will have some decent music and some visually attractive people to watch for about 20 hours.  Then you will move on with your life.

Don't come in with expectations and enjoy the laugh and MOST OF ALL: DON'T OVERTHINK THINGS.

Kill Me, Heal Me
Mar 13, 2015
So while I was siting here trying to figure out what I could add to the praise that this drama is receiving , I just thought hell just say what you think.

I was mesmerized by this drama, because the acting has just so raw and flawless, the cast truly complemented each other, they covered for each other flaws and blended seamlessly. It was a pleasure to watch them act, so if you really have reservation about watching this drama, throw them away because even if the story doesn't resonate with you, the acting will pull you in.

The Music was really soothing and beautiful, it got a 8.5 from me because well I was mostly only into two songs, the rest I just found them passable , but I think that they superposed them to the scene on screen pretty well.

I have to admit that has everyone was saying that the show brought them to tears, I did not cry one bit that is why it's not getting that 10 that would have established it has a masterpiece for me. I laughed at the right places, and got sad but I did not get to the heart-wrenching desperation that some viewers felt, and I think that his one of the flaw if this drama, it easily brought to tear criers but it did not try to reach the extra mile for those who don't cry easily.

I'm suspecting that the writers just lean too easily on the actors and director excepting them to do all the work to deliver her work.

Anyway do not let these things keep you away from good entertainment thought. Because I feel that these drama kind of prove that there is still hope for K-dramas actors and that we have actors out there that can act.
So I don't know if this will be helpful but I felt like I should say it . have fun watching.

Itazura na Kiss
Oct 7, 2014
I mean after you read what is available of the manga, you wonder is there an drama or live adaptation! Well then you stumble upon this and at first there's many moment where you go WTF !! the Lead actress just scream too much, the guy playing Naoki is not even trying and the girl playing the the interference between Naoki and Kotoko just tries to much.
This adaptation was just very bad especially compare to the other show that came later on. I mean it's a good thing to watch on a rainy afternoon when you have totally realize that your computer is dead and that there's nothing worth to watch on T.V. Seriously it's good that they tried to be somewhat original but they just went totally out of the manga, the only thing that may be recognize is the characters name and just probably the fact that they family are somewhat the same too. I found this reviews that I wrote in 2010 and I was so struck by the fact that today in 2014 I still feel the same about this drama.

Secret
Aug 1, 2013
Wow what to say about this movie that no one has already said. I guess nothing to those who loved secret we all agree that this movie was simply beautiful with magically beautiful music.

For one I had never heard of Jay Chou (well that until I check that I had watch one his movie before , see how unaffected I was,) before this but I can say with confidence that he's someone that I will keep on checking, When looking at him perform you can only tell yourself wow the man's brilliant.

But why am I babbling about him only, when there his a movie to talk about. Secret is just a sweet magical note that will take you on for a ride and when you finally think that you have gotten to the bottom of what the true is, BOOM you are sent on an opposite direction.

Secret is a simple romantic movie, with a splash of pang because you get to easily identify with the characters , even thought there's a fantasy twist to it.

So if you just need a easy little romantic movie, then it would be nice to pick up a nice seat and lose yourself in secret. And Well if you are a classical music lover than the better for the music in this movie is just simply perfect.

Sunny
Jul 21, 2013
This movie was hilarious and deeply heart-felt at the same time.

It's about a transfer student Na-Mi (Shim Eun-Kyeong) who comes from a small town in Jeolla Province to her new school in the capital city of Seoul.She is nervous, her small town dialect comes out and she is bullied by others. Coming to her help are a group of girls Choon-Hwa (Kang So-Ra)who is known for her strong sense of loyalty and fighting skills, Jang-Mi (Kim Min-Young) who only wish is to have plastic surgery to get double eye-lids, Jin-Hee (Park Jin-Joo)who excels at spewing profanity, Geum-Ok (Lee Yeon-Kyung) whose biggest interest is literature, Bok-Hee (Kim Seon-Kyeong) who only dreams of one day becoming Ms. Korea and Su-Ji (Min Hyo-Rin) who is always arrogant and the girls pretty face mascot. Na-Mi quickly becomes part of their group.

This movie is mostly a reflection of what 25 years of life can do to you and the power of friendship. It's a walk on memory lane. You will feel touched by the acting of the younger cast as much as the older one. I did not except this movie to be about older woman when I read the synopsis. But there's nothing that I have to complain about with this movie, it's just like the title a "sunny" movie.

So if you are looking to walk down memory lane with a smile on your face. This is a must and you may learn a things or two about treasuring your friends.

Lust, Caution
Jul 20, 2013
This Ang Lee film was very than deserving. The story of a group of students in Japanese-occupied Shanghai in the 1940s who decide to join the resistance movement against the occupation of Japan.
One of the young woman in the group volunteers to seduce a dangerously callous high-ranking official in the government, who has been denounced as a national traitor. This action proves to be a rude and hard awakening to the inexperienced and naive group of friends. This movie could be said to be a "suspenseful, edge-of-your-chair story complete with a highly stylized appearance" even when a lot of other review batch it I still felt that the staff did a great job with the costumes and backdrops making them into colorful and magnetic field that attract the senses.

The actors/actresses expressions and careful words just show how skilled they were even in acting in a more sinister tone genre.

This film easily captivate the attention, If you are afraid of the explicit sex scenes well you may just pass a good movie for naught. I personally didn't object to them in the least, but I was not expecting much from them to begin with. Well before to watch this you must be sure that you are not offended by explicit sex scene or crude subtitles, I would at least recommend this for the dynamic and feel of the movie.

Birth Secret
Jun 28, 2013
Although I wanted to slap the lead female throughout the drama, I was also totally shipping for her to recover her memories and family,so by the end of the drama I was fairly satisfied hence the 9/10 instead of 10.

If not going to waste my saliva or fatigued my fingers on the issue , but if you feel that you must overlooked this drama because someone may had badmouth it or a reviewer did not give it a high enough grade, then you should not blame anyone else but yourself for missing out on a true uniquely almost gem drama.

I have my "gringe" with this drama hence I did not give it a higher note, but if you really want to see great acting it's a must see, especially from the older cast, they had me totally hooked, same with the younger version is seems as the western standard for acting his going down the toilet, great germ are emanating from the east.

Acting aside the reason this drama should not be pass over is probably because of the message that is conveyed a simply touching and adorable story. With a powerful message of forgiveness.

So if you want to watch a drama that is fairly well acted and fairly wonderfully written then this must be your pick.

Myu no Anyo Papa ni Ageru
Jun 23, 2013
I re-stumbled upon this after reading a article by an MDL member then, remembered that it was in my too watch list and decided to give it a go. Well not before doing some tracking and learning that the story was based on the true story of Yamaguchi Hayato, a young man who learns that he has a rare illness known as Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy. A disease which affects his nervous system making him begin to lose the functioning of his limbs, but he is determined to fight the illness with the support of his wife and his 2-year-old daughter, Myu-chan. After learning this I banish husband and kids, grabbed a box of tissues (just in case) and settle with my computer in a remote place in the house.

After 2 hours all I can say is that I just lo loved all the sweetness that was pact into this movie,even if I kind of feel that we were let down in the department of learning a little more about this disease( not to worry that just probably the med student in me talking...*putting my glasses on and going to hunt for a my medical books TT*)
Oh yeah I was supposed to be writing a review so let gets back to it *_* hihhi!!

Well I was reminded a lot of 1 Litre of Tears as Matsumoto Jun plays 25 year old Yamaguchi Hayato. Although I was quite annoyed still at the really clicheness of the debilitating disease aspect. But I was quite stunned by Jun acting because it was almost the the first time for me to see him deliver such a performance to the point that I asked myself if I had even ever seen him walked normally. It was a serious shock from is active role as Domyouji Tsukasa in Hana Yori Dango, seeing him bedridden and yet so sweet.

Well it can be a little hard at first to buy that him (Jun)looking so young could be a father and but the excellent chemistry between him and his 'daughter' ( sent me in a total KYA FANGIRL MOMENT!!!that I may have fried a few of my neurons :p) in the first five seconds of the movie and throughout. Well in my book the chemistry that father and daughter had totally save me from dying of boredom when confronted to the total lack of chemistry between Jun and Karina with who he teamed up as his wife(don't go pulling you hair yet and thinking that you are going to bleed, they acting actually save them, Yes they both are talented actors, your hair is safe.) Well I would still have to say that Karina was a little more better in Koizora.

With that said !!! I would say that if you are looking for an overly dramatic movie then this is not the one to be picked ( well seeing has I did not reached for my tissue box that much.) This is more suitable for a slow rainy afternoon when you are looking for a sweet movie, with a little hedge seen as it deals with a painful subject.

Well one thing for sure is that it is a movie that as that hopeful tone to it and of course a great layer of the Japanese firm 'never give up' attitude. The ending was really lovely, but it quite still left me with a burning sensation of unresolveness. Well I'd still recommend this for a rainy or sunny Friday or Saturday afternoon when you really want to escape the daily routine of your life, or when you come to a point where you are starting to forget that you should be grateful even for the little things that you have in life.

Hi My Sweetheart
Apr 14, 2013
So what to say about Hi My Sweetheart! Other than the fact that it spend 3 years whole years in my Too Watch list. I was being super hesitant too watch it, and I can say that even though I did not give it a 10 or a 9 that it was totally worth my time. Even though the story was not new, it was still original enough. The actors if you take out the three playing the "belles" where actually really believable and cute. The Only reason why this drama did not get a 10 from me his probably because I felt that the drama could have easily been wrap up in 9 episode or 10 if they really wanted to go with the even number. Because truly their misunderstanding was so simple that he did not have to been spread over like that. But other than that this drama is a great pick me up if you are down. Because you are probably going to laugh form episode 1 to the last . They just seriously kill you with their cuteness.

The Innocent Man
Dec 27, 2012
Wow I can hear my sister screaming at me already for giving these a 9. Well it was a really good drama one of the few in truth that have really grab my attention this year and made it marathon it in one night without even skipping episode, but still it did not get to 10 material for me. Yes the acting his good, the hateful people do all did a great job at being hateful and disgusting, the pitiful people at being pitiful, and the funny part were indeed funny. So if this drama is such a must watch why did it get a 9 only. Well simply because I was outrage at the sentencing the bad guys got that the only thing I could say was really!!!!, I also thought that some part just really dragged on for too long and finally the ending was a little confusing for me. But other than that I just came to add my too cents and say that if you are on the mood for a good directional drama, with a strong acting, eye candy, perfect ost well you have found your drama.