• Last Online: Aug 6, 2019

Linus

US/Poland
My P.S. Partner
Aug 20, 2017
I recently re-watched it because I wanted to see if I still would rate it a solid 10 and I came to the conclusion that I still simply adore this movie.

I like the down to Earth portrayal of young adults in this. Relationships are messy. Good people sometimes leave or do unfair things, successful relationships fall apart, people find new partners etc. It's like the lead said: people meet, fall in love, leave and then meet someone new. It's possible that they get married solely to avoid this vicious cycle. Ultimately though, people crave intimacy, which also includes physical intimacy. I am so done with the story line in which 35 year olds have their shy first kiss because they were patiently waiting for their first love for 20 years. I love this movie for showing all shades of adult relationships. Yes, it is a movie with adult content and explicit sex scenes. I thought it was refreshing to finally see that in a Korean production. It's like Korean dramas have no problem dealing with sexual violence, corruption or murder, but are too scared to tackle sex in a real, mature way.

I felt that the characters were pretty multidimensional. The movie plays a trick on us: we root for a looser musician with no clear future and a woman so dissatisfied with her relationship that she is willing to cross lines that maybe should not be crossed. Even the beginning of their relationship is messy. If I had a situation like that happening between my friends, I would probably be very disturbed by that. Not so much in this film, though. The chemistry between those two is absolutely unbeatable. Even the conversations between the two leads were hot. However, what was even more intriguing was the deeper connection that slowly developed between the two.

Sure, the story is not groundbreaking and there are not millions of twists, but I don't think that there need to be. Fast pace ts not what makes this film unique.

Perfect Proposal
Aug 20, 2017
I can't say that I liked the movie. It seems like it consists of two completely different movies strung into one. It didn't seem right to me. If you like dark, suspenseful movies then the first half was way too long. On the other hand, if you got interested in the family drama, it got cut way too quickly. I guess that the twist in the middle surprised me in a way, but it was put exactly in the middle of the film that I don't think it was a good idea. I watched the first half of the movie and got kind of interested in where the story is going and then after the twist just quickly fast forwarded to see how it ended. Despite really good acting, I wouldn't recommend it.

Lie to Me
Aug 19, 2017
Despite watching this drama not too long ago, I literally had to go back and read the episode recaps to even remember what it was about. This is the only drama that I can't remember almost at all. I think that speaks to how bland it is. I mean, I finished it, so I must have enjoyed it to some extend but I think that I stuck with it just because I was bored. Watch it if you love any rom coms. Otherwise, don't waste your time on this one.
The Greatest Love
Aug 9, 2017
The Greatest Love was okay. If you are a fan of predictable love stories with very cliche love triangles then by all means give it a try. It wasn't an unpalatable show and many people can find it enjoyable. I guess I am just a little done with the same kind of protagonists and storylines in all kdramas all the time.

Story: the story seemed a bit weird to me at first, but it wasn't too weird after the first 2 episodes. However, it was so similar to other shows like that that I just couldn't find it appealing. The typical situation in which the guy is rich and dreamy and the girl is either cursed, poor, pathetic or just fell down on her luck. The arrogant guy thinks that there is no way he is ever going to fall for "someone like that", but then miraculously ends up madly in love to the point where he is willing to sacrifice his pride and life for her. I've seen it in Lie to Me, Marriage not Dating, BoF, The Master's Sun, You're Beautiful, Cinderella and 4 Knights... shall I keep going? We also have the ever present love triangle in which the second lead is so dreamy that you can't help but feel bad for him. No matter how bad you feel though, he is a very flat character. In a story like that there must also be a jealous mean girl and all sorts of people against the developing relationships. Even in this regard the story is very predictable. I generally am not all opposed to a good love triangle, but this one just didn't give me the feels.

The acting was ok, too. I am a fan of Gong Hyo Jin, but she always gets stuck in almost identical roles and most of her characters seem very similar to me. I could barely discern between her acting here, in Pasta and in Master's Sun. She showed her real potential in That's Okay, It's Love and I wish people gave her more complex roles. I really liked Cha Seung Won in You're All Surrounded, but here I kept comparing him to So Ji Sub and couldn't help but think that the latter would be a better fit for the role. Cha Seung Won's character also somewhat reminded me of Jang Hyuk from Fated to Love You. Maybe it was because of the weird laugh? No matter the reason, this left me with a feeling that the main male character could be any of the big name rom-com actors and the story would be unharmed.

I was not a huge fan of the music. I would describe it as very cheesy and anti-climactic most of the time.

All in all I can't help but think that The Greatest Love will be one of those dramas that I finished because I started it, but it won't stick with me for long. It gave me a very very similar vibe to "The Master's Sun", except that the latter had way better dialogues, a better story and chemistry between the leads.

The King's Woman
Mar 17, 2018
Despite some issues I had with this drama, it has so thoroughly captivated me that I can't give it any less than 10. The biggest issue I had is with packaging manipulation, obsession and the desire to completely possess someone as love. I did see pure love in this drama, especially during the initial episodes of the drama, but not from the character that we are supposed to see it. At times, it was very difficult to me to root for the "main couple" and sometimes it was even difficult for me to say who the main couple should be.

The King's Woman has a beautiful cinematography. I enjoyed looking at every scene in this show. The costumes, fight scenes and the shots in between are magnificent and often very powerful. The atmosphere is sometimes conveyed by the amount of light and the color of clothes that the people are wearing. The more carefree the characters can be, the less make up and bright colors we see. I really liked it. I also liked the music that went with it.

I thought that the story was swift and quite engrossing. I typically lose interest in shows that are longer than 20 episodes, but this one is different. Not a single episode dragged for me. In a nutshell, it is a historical drama with a love triangle (square?) type of situation, except that all of the characters involved seemed well developed and multidimensional. People change their feelings in this show because their situation changes and their motivation is governed by internal logic. Both men and women can be righteous or manipulating. This show has a high level of betrayal, revenge, possession, love, devotion, assassinations and intrigue, but people are not vile without a reason. Their motivations might be convoluted, but not impossible to understand. The show did a good job showing that in politics and in the palace you really can't trust anyone. One thing that I really liked at the beginning of the show was the balance of sad and lighter moments. Unfortunately, the show got progressively darker in the course of time. After episode 30, it becomes really dark and the viewers get the ominous feeling that things can't go right for everyone.

I can't say whether I am a fan of the ending or not. All in all, I was not surprised by it given everything we knew about the world of the King's Woman and the people involved.

I gave it a very high re-watch value because of the beauty of the shots. I already re-watched some of the episodes because I simply enjoyed seeing them again.

What's Wrong with Secretary Kim
Sep 2, 2018
Short review:

The drama is nothing life-changing, but it is entertaining. If you like funny rom-coms on a bit cheesy side with some cringe-worthy moments sprinkled in between, and if you don't mind typical kdrama cliches here and there, give it a try. The humor is a bit cringe-worthy at times and there really isn't a deeper message, but the show can be fun to watch. I would say that it's a drama similar to Marriage, not Dating and maybe Go Ho's Starry Night without the reverse harem .

Regular review:
Although the story is nothing new and the characters are very one-dimensional, I actually enjoyed this drama. It is pretty entertaining, although not everyone will be a fan of the humor in this. We have a traditional chaebol-poor girl romance with the unavoidable tragic past that resurfaces later, but fortunately gets resolved without dragging it too long. We also have a rather lackluster second lead. The main male love interest is not only ridiculously rich and capable, but also unbelievably good-looking ( though I would personally disagree with this; I mean, who came up with the lead's hairstyle in this??) and arrogant. Although amazingly popular with women, the heir to the conglomerate is a lone wolf who doesn't trust women to the point of not letting any woman ever touch him. The only woman who is by his side is his trustworthy secretary who is not only amazingly efficient, but also quite good looking. How lucky for our protagonist! I think that the main difference between this show and any other office based rom-com is the unusual way of telling the story. We meet the vice president and his secretary when they are already a very strong team and have worked together for 9 years. However, to the ML's dismay, the secretary decides to suddenly quit. This leaves the male lead puzzled and annoyed. I found the first episode to be hilarious and I quite quickly became attached to the flawed, but lovable male lead and his near-perfect office assistant. I think that the story slowed down a bit too much after episode 10, but it was still enjoyable to watch.

I didn't really care for the second lead's story. I loved the actor in 'W' and I was very excited to have him in this show, but his story was really unnecessary. I wish his character was a bit more developed and a bit less like a kicked puppy. As I mentioned earlier, the characters here are very simple. There is an incompetent secretary, a lonely and trustworthy president, a workoholic co-worker etc. Though they provide a nice background to the story, there isn't much depth to any of those characters. There are many romantic, but quite cheesy moments in this show, and there is quite a lot of bickering between the leads.

All in all, I found it to be a nice break between more intense dramas and recommend watching it when you want something to not think too much about.

Nobuta Wo Produce
May 20, 2018
I really struggled through the first 2-3 episodes, but it eventually grew on me. I mean, there are meek female leads, pathetic female leads, weirdo female leads... and then there's Nobuta. They wrote her character in such a way that sometimes even I wanted to kick her so that she would start behaving like a semi normal person, and I have zero violent tendencies in me. She was hard for me to cheer for or connect to. On the other hand, Akira's character was way over the top. I liked him, but I wasn't too attached to him. Then, somewhere around episode 5, I really started liking the characters. To sum up, the first couple of episodes, the show was a mess for me. It does get better with time and it eventually becomes really sweet, but it's only a 10 episode show, so I basically struggled through third of it.

I did like the message of this drama. It's a touching story about friendship. I recently lost my closest childhood friend to cancer and this show really triggered an avalanche of emotions for me. I didn't expect this because of how the beginning was written. I am glad I watched it, though.

Cruel Romance
May 3, 2018
I wish Cruel Romance was easier for me to rate, but I always struggle with dramas that captivated and mesmerized me at the beginning, only to leave me longing for something more in the second part of them.

I loved the fist half of the show. The story, although somewhat ridiculous, was engrossing. The characters had enough spunk and unique features that their encounters were interesting and the sparks kept flying. The main lead might be a bit standoffish, but his demeanor and the way he treated his people and the women in general, Jin Xiu in particular, was quite charming. The fight scenes were over the top, but that also could be seen as somewhat the part of the charm. I loved the reverse harem theme that kept resurfacing and I even could kind of understand why this supposedly simple girl was so popular with men. Being related to the most beautiful woman in the entire province makes for a compelling argument as to why everyone would be so captivated by her. Even the main bad guy was interesting because you kept disliking him and then rooting for him in some capacity. This part of the story convinced me that I actually can like a good damsel in distress story with some really hot rescue scenes if it's well done. I haven't seen many shows that did that type of romance well before.

Then somewhere around ep. 24 - 25 the story got messy and somewhat predictable. The bad guys became wicked, main female lead became super annoying and the secondary female lead became wretched. The story took a turn that I didn't particularly care for. It's not that it wasn't good at all; it just wasn't as good as it was before. I skipped tons of scenes during the second part of the show and I didn't feel like I missed so much. In the end, the show fell short for me. I believe that it would have been a really good drama had it been around 30 episodes. I did re-watch a couple of the first episodes and found it enjoyable, but I wouldn't re-watch the drama it it's entirety. That why I ended up giving it a 7.

A Korean Odyssey
Mar 31, 2018
Let me just say that I really enjoyed this drama, but It's not easy to rate it. Firstly, it is ridiculously over the top. The humor is over the top, the special effects are ridiculous, and the characters are caricatures of themselves. There are zombies, fairies, humans that have paranormal properties, messengers from heaven, spirits and other things that sometimes just show out of nowhere. It is overacted, overplayed, overdramatic and cheesy at the same time. That being said, if you understand the genre that you are watching and take it for what it is, it is actually really enjoyable.

The story is somewhat new if you don't know the "Journey to the West" or the mythology behind it. It seems to me that some of the themes are based on folk tales and old stories, but it was all fairly new to me. I really enjoyed the fast pace of the show. While I absolutely loved the first 15 episodes, the last 5 were completely unnecessary to me. I understand what the writers were going for, I just would personally prefer if everything surrounding the priestess and the events leading to the end of the show were cut out. I think that 20 episodes were probably a bit too much.

I liked the acting, but one needs to keep in mind that the characters were supposed to overact. Lee See Young was amazing and her role was not an easy one. She made it possible for the people to love and hate her at the same time. Cha Seung Won was probably my favorite character, though. He was just the perfect amount of crazy, charming and mischievous. I liked the main couple, but the chemistry between them could be a bit better. I didn't mind the FL, but sometimes she seemed to be a bit stiff.

Some people drew parallels between the Goblin and The Korean Odyssey and there certainly were some. The bromance was kind of similar and the stories had similar elements such as the main girl having a way to call her guardian when she needed him. The major difference that I see between those two is that The Korean Odyssey did not try to take itself too seriously with it execution whereas Goblin intended to have a very serious, even solemn, feel to the story.

I was hesitating between 8.0 and 9.0 for this drama and I can't quite decide. I think the first 10 episodes would be a solid 9.0, even 9.5 for me, but since I ended up fast forwarding many scenes in the second half of the show, I settled on 8.5

Chief Kim
Aug 18, 2017
It's a fun drama with some untypical elements in the story, but if you don't appreciate the over-the-top humor, it's nothing special. I felt that it dragged at times. The story dealt with corruption, connections and covering up big schemes. Those themes are nothing new. For example Pinocchio, Healer or Uncontrollably Fond dealt with similar issues. However, there are enough comedic elements in Chief Kim to make the story way more balanced. I also appreciated the variety of female characters, none of which try to fight over a cute guy. That's a huge plus of the show. There are many references to other dramas in Chief Kim and those are honestly the funniest scenes in the show.

The main conflict between Kim Seon Ryong and Seo Yool reminded me of Falling for Innocence. It has a similar vibe. There is virtually zero romance in this show which was refreshing, but was also a missed opportunity. I thought that the initial scenes between Seo Yool and Ha Kyung were promising and I was waiting for more scenes between the two of them. I am not saying there had to be any serious romance, but this showed did a good job showing the progression of many cool relationships except for this one. I think the writers dropped the ball with those two characters.

Most of the actors did a good job in this. Personally, I am not a fan of Namgoong Min's acting, though. I didn't like his style of acting in Beautiful Gong Shim and I didn't quite like it here. I was totally flabbergasted about Ha Dong's performance after seeing him in Suspicious Partner. What a versatile actor!

Always
Aug 14, 2017
"Always" was one of those movies that made me feel emotions that I'd rather not feel. Let me just say that from the minute I started the movie, I was immersed in the world that the writer created.

I would describe this movie as painfully beautiful. It was dark both metaphorically and literally since most of the movie was shot either during the night or in the small, poorly lit places. This was a great metaphor of the character's lives: the male lead's life was dark since he didn't have much to live for and the female lead's life was literally dark since she couldn't see.

The chemistry between the leads was off the charts. This was one of the best couples I've seen so far.
I really had no idea how amazing So Ji Sub and Han Hyo Joo's acting is. I saw them both in different Korean dramas, but I now realize that Always really let them shine as actors. I am in awe. The characters felt so real to me that I almost had a feeling that they'll jump out of the screen and appear in front of me.

The ending was very bittersweet. "Always" is ultimately a movie about sacrifice, redemption and finding hope where there seems to be none. There are some incredibly romantic moments, but even when the mood in the movie lightens up, I could feel something ominous in the air. It's a type of story that makes you hold your loved ones after you finish watching it. Some people seem to find the ending to be satisfying, but I had some mixed feelings about it. I understood the writer's message and intention; however, I'd prefer the ending to be a little more uplifting even if it wouldn't exactly match the general tone of the movie.

It's Okay, That's Love
Aug 5, 2017
Let me just start by saying that I have tremendous respect for the writer of this show for crafting a story that tackles so many difficult issues in such a beautiful, touching way. No other Korean show did as much in terms of humanizing mental health and everyday struggles the way this show did.

The characters are adults that act like adults, talk like adults and struggle like adults. It's not another story of 30 year olds acting like 10 year olds. The writing touches on such issues as stigma, struggles surrounding intimacy, emotions, trauma, the necessity to choose between happy marriage and career and more.

I'd also like to say that Jang Jae Yeol is one the sexiest, most irresistibly crafted male characters I've seen. He has this aura of intellectual cockiness around him that is very alluring. I'm also happy to see Gong Hyo Jin in this production as she often plays characters that are not as sophisticated as this one is. I did find her character to be a bit weird at times, though.

Now I didn't give this show a 10 because even though I love the concept behind the story and I love how multidimensional the characters are, I felt that the middle of the show dragged despite the fact that the story unfolded in a kind of unpredictable way. The pacing just seems to be off.

Uncontrollably Fond
Aug 1, 2017
I have a hard time rating this drama, mainly because I loved some things about it and absolutely hated others. I was totally in love with the first 11 or 12 episodes. The tragic characters, the intrigue, the manipulation on many levels, the pathetic situation of one of the characters were pretty well done for me. I kept going back for more and more. I don't necessarily love melodramas; however, many of them are well done and pretty balanced in their stories, so as long as they make me feel like the characters' actions were reasonable and somewhat justified by their circumstances, I just roll with it. However, this stopped being the case here at certain point. The main characters started acting irrational and kind of petty. It was especially the case with Shin Joon Young, who seemed to be going back and forth on what he actually wants to accomplish in his life. The ending, though predictable, didn't really give me the necessary closure. I will not be re-watching this drama because it didn't stir up emotions that I would like to go through again.

Go Ho's Starry Night
Aug 1, 2017
I agree that this show is utterly ridiculous and the story doesn't have any depth to it, yet I totally and completely fell in love with it. It was hilarious, entertaining and had some pretty strong chemistry. I can't even figure out why I liked it that much, but I just did. Go Ho is totally adorable in her role and even though I do agree that there were too many suitors in this drama, it still somehow kept pulling me in. Sure, sometimes I rolled my eyes at the ridiculousness of the script yet I still loved every minute of this drama. Great show to watch after something really heavy like Scarlet Heart or Uncontrollably Fond.

The Master's Sun
Jul 31, 2017
Let me start with saying that I totally recommend watching this drama but despite really enjoying it, I have a couple of bones to pick with it. First, the positives. I think that the story was very engaging and fun to watch. I have a habit of fast forwarding annoying scenes in kdramas and I found that I didn't do it much here. I think the actors did a decent job, even though the parts that were written for them were not always that great. For example, I really liked Tae Gong Sil, but she acted more clingy than tired around JJW in the first episodes. Despite that, the interactions between the characters are just plain fun. I also liked how natural Joo Joong Won's character progressed to the point that we barely notice until the last couple of episodes. The ghost stories were interesting, too. I also liked the fact that even though there was a typical vain character and rich family members looking over the heir's shoulder, there wasn't a typical villain in the form of scheming family member. I was satisfied with how the story of Cha Hae Joo was solved, too.

Now, here are the problems with the show. I already mentioned the weird TGS's role. To me, she acted clingy at the beginning and then irrational and aloof in the end. The change was a bit too much. I also thought that the story kind of fell apart towards the end and. Adding the really annoying plot cliche towards the end was probably unnecessary, although it was handled pretty well for what it was. TGS's choices were fun to watch, but were sometimes very illogical to me. Overall though, I am going to rewatch it just because I really had fun watching it.