Fighter of the Destiny

• Duration: 45 min.
  • Genres: Historical, Romance, Wuxia, Drama, Fantasy
  • Rating: Not Yet Rated

• Members: 2,303

Fighter of the Destiny (2017)

Jun 5, 2017
Usually, I don't watch dramas that have so many episodes. But this one seemed interesting. The story is okay, with the fantasy element all over the place. However, the specially effects didn't help give this drama that really good epic quality it deserved, as they were almost fake and didn't help the actors act along them as well. The acting was nice (considering the low quality graphics) and Luhan performance was, as always, okay. My main concern was the romance that didn't have the intensity it should have, as the chemistry between the two actors was weak. Finally, the costumes were really beautiful. So, overall, 3.5 out of 10.

cgaman
Jun 11, 2017
A less tragic Nirvana in Fire meets Lord of the Rings!

I writing this review with 9 episodes left (I wanna take the rest nice and slow coz I don't want this awesome drama to end).

It's important to note that the drama went into production before the author finished writing the web novel, so if anything the movie version might be truer to the original work and differ from the drama.

OK, enough of OT stuff, back to the core of review:

Fans of Lord of the Rings will rejoice that FotD is essentially a reimagining. You have the Star Formation that gives power to the Empress that is essentially the One Ring. It is essentially detrimental to Empress (it's actually something evil that is controlling her), yet she has trouble letting the precious-s-s go.

Then, there is CCS dagger-like sword that looks like Bilbo's Sting dagger. And of course the little dragon ZS is modeled after Smaug the Dragon from The Hobbit, but a good kind dragon, not an evil one. Then, when LL teased ZS with hard-to-guess riddles, that scene essentially imitated "Riddles in the Dark" between Bilbo and Gollum in The Hobbit.

Superimposed over this are scenes remiscient of Nirvana in Fire: Sick guy returns to the Capital to attain his destiny, elite guards getting murdered to frame someone, the main hero can't actually fight against powerful villains but uses his cunning to subdue them, an Imperial ruler that is cold and "heartless" even towards her own child, etc.

Nevertheless, the drama packs an awesome punch coz let's face it there is nothing new under the sun, only inspiration from some works that existed before!

namkookie
Jun 15, 2017
(the overall review was a deduction or summary of ll the other reviews below me)
1. story the story from my point of view was okay from the first 32 episodes but then all of the sudden the plot fell apart which distroyed my interest in the whole story ( am keeping the review short)

2. the acting for me was very poor the actors weren't interacting at all luhan was meant to play a pure and honesty and modest role but as i watched the story develop the love just seemed a bit.. fake the love didn't take time to develop they just out of no where feel in love . as for the actress bextiyar gulnezer is a very good actor as i admire her from "chinese paladin 5" and " the classic of the mountains and seas"
but this was not one of her best works so i rate it 7.5.

3. though i never really payed attention to the music in chinese dramas the music was i bit different from the fantasy element and story of the theme but i added all the reviews for the music and multiplied it by how many people that reviewed the drama below and got 11.5 and i ration the number to what i think it should get is 6.5

4. i never rewatched the drama because the story element fell apart during ep 32-the end

5. overall i got 6.5

Zgod
Jun 6, 2017
The drama starts out very promising. It has beautiful actors, costumes, and musics. However, the story falls off the cliff half way through. 56 episode-drama is too long for a weak story. The core elements of wuxia are love and power. The drama gets some of the love right (mostly because of the music). However, the power part is completely wrong. There is no clear ranking of power. Main characters (both good and bad) have plot armor making fight scene a joke. Also, the male lead is so weak - it’s pathetic (the female lead also becomes weak – she got infected with weakness). They survive because of “plot armor”.
I was hoping to ease the urge while waiting Nirvana on Fire 2. This was a huge disappointment in comparison.

Mihaella Lungu
Jun 5, 2017
Is my first CDrama i ever watched and i really enjoy it, even i can't find eng subs after 41ep :( sadly i keep waiting and hoping for more...Is actually a fantasy drama not a love story, even there are few romantic elements, is more based on its fantasy part, and i like it...The effects, acting and the story line is enjoyable...
Vivian
Jun 9, 2017
Fighter of the Destiny... one of my new favorite dramas! To be completely honest, I love this drama sooo much! Although, others say that this is a terrible drama, I believe different. I stayed up to 5 in the morning watching this drama because I loved it sooo much and I still only got to the 20th episode with 36 more left and that shows how much this drama affected me. I really loved the storyline because it was filled with joy, sadness, MANY conflicts, humor, an unbreakable friendship, romance, and heartwarming moments. The only negative thing about this drama is the props and background, many scenes looked extremely fake since a green screen can be clearly seen that it was used, but if you focus on the the drama itself, this drama is perfect! While watching this drama, you also learn many life morals and lessons and everything connects well together. All of the things in this drama makes it become one of the best dramas you will ever watch. Watching the main character struggle to fight his unlucky destiny, while recipeiving the help of the few who really love and believe him is a journey for the viewers as well! I hope that you watch this incredible drama and you will surely remember to thank me!????????????????

Exeo
Jun 13, 2017
Ever wondered whether what happens in our life is already predestined?
That is the underlying theme running behind the events in this drama.
There is CCS, a young man destined to die by the age of 20. There is XYR, a saintess whose ‘match made from Heaven’ is a disciple with the blood of a dragon. There is Nanke, a demon princess who no one cared about. There is Guojiao Academy, which has been closed due to traitorous acts of its members.
It might seem that the events will follow its natural path, but the characters remain persistent in their endeavours… Who knows what the final result will be?

PACE
This is an epic drama, which sustains its quality throughout the series. It seems to me that there are three main types of dramas: ones which are slow to begin and escalate to a massive havoc/excitement towards the end, ones which begin very well and dwindle towards the end and, finally, ones which keep you interested from the beginning and keep getting better. This drama falls into the last category – I felt that this drama had a ‘period’ of a few episodes: every 3-5 episodes there will be a major event to which all previous events led – that event/difficulty will disappear/be resolved and soon another one will appear. Having said that, I must say that the first dozen or so episodes was the most interesting to me – but that is because most of main character development took place then. Exciting events keep happening until the very end though.

PLOT, CHARACTERS AND ACTING
The plot itself is very interesting. CCS, a boy who grew up in a remote settlement sets off to the capital to change his destiny. He meets a group of talented, devoted and influential friends, as well as some formidable enemies. All the characters are very interesting and have a story of their own and many of them change during the journey – we get to experience things like betrayal, following temptations vs upright attitude, responsibility of bringing glory to one’s family, striving for the best in spite of no one believing in the possibility of success, and a fair dose of unrequited love. This drama has to offer a lot of different flavours: bittersweet mixture of a little silliness (Luoluo is great! Same goes for 36…) and some very serious struggles and moral dilemmas.
All the main actors were great. Some were slightly caricatural (like Janice Wu, who, as I said, was adorable), but it all fit the purpose. There were few annoying(ly evil) characters, but they had minor roles which mostly only lasted a few episodes. Some accuse the main female lead of too few facial expressions, but I think that her acting was not unnatural and suited her role as a saintess. I think that Luhan did a great job – he was pensive and sharp at the same time.
Final note - whilst romance was present (and there were a few other potential/existing pairings), it was not the main focus of the drama (as opposed to friendship, wisdom and power), so I do not recommend FotD if you were to only watch it for the romance.

ESTHETICS
Most costumes were really impressive (though there are scenes when their shoes appear slightly funny). The filming locations/landscapes are worth to become tourist attractions (if they truly exist in real world…) – some of them were absolutely breathtaking! The animations were fairly simple (I think that most of the flying was done with wires), but it all remained relatively natural.

MUSIC
The soundtrack was great – I was a little sceptical of the opening song, but grew to like it over the 52 episodes. A really nice aspect of the soundtrack was that it used the same tune every time when some grand spiritual practice events took place – it added grandeur to the moment…
LANGUAGE
A note on language: probably quite typically of xianxia dramas, this drama uses quite archaic/formal language and has a lot of drama-world-specific vocabulary. But it is not terribly varied, so if you have an intermediate grasp of Mandarin, you can give it a go (though the conversations in the royal court might prove difficult). But I would hope the outstanding few episodes will get subtitled soon!

Overall, a very nice, well-rounded drama. It might not be a masterpiece, but it shows solid effort from all aspects – from plot and acting through costumes and sets until music.